Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Want a good laugh?
Watch this, and without googling it, guess what Austria did.
Jurassic Park but with clones of Austria's most famous monster?

e: oh, that

e2: 66 is fash code for Fianna Fáil

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Want a good laugh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyPtZlUr_j8
I know what you mean, but jesus this is so loving boring. You can tell he knows hes talking about nothing because he refuses to say it as his hyperbole would make him look like a complete idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never seen someone open the video by reading the clickbait title at me po faced.

Eight PRANKs austria did that will change everything, you won't believe number 5 (gone wrong) (gone sexual)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fuctifino posted:

Why should I watch an 11 minute video to guess what Austria did?

Lockdown's back, baby. It's good again.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The top management never actually have firstname.lastname@company (or whatever the policy is) for exactly this reason. At most places it just goes straight to second or third-line customer service - all you actually do is jump past the first-line reps which, to be fair, can actually be the only way to get some companies to do anything at all. It's ridiculous how many companies deliberately set their contact systems up as a labyrinth and only reward you with actual service if you can escape it.

At every company I've worked at where I can see the mail servers the top level folks all had email addresses that matched the company norm. What is true is that they probably have an assisstant who filters their email before it gets to them.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only time that threatening legal action worked was when my sister-in-law did it, and she is an actual litigation lawyer.

I am constantly amazed at how knowing the magic words can turn every customer service failure into a three-figure profit.

Also, I had completely forgotten about Jeff and his red curtains, which are either hiding the cremation ovens or the stage where the peep show will start once he's paid the fee.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/YorksBylines/status/1461230866676346881

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't see that any other way than "what if we did urban traffic/congestion reduction but also explicitly ablist for no good reason".

Hope they choke on all the "you're going to love this successful small business owner who has muscular dystrophy" articles the local and regional papers loved running a few years back.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Want a good laugh?

fed the gently caress up of these cowards, loving do something, anything if you think they're coming to steal your fluids or whatever

get the gently caress out there and then get beat to death by the fash police state that you voted to support, bring on the face eating leopards, they must be really hungry by now

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Want a good laugh?

Ron Swanson and a shaved bollock had a baby.

(can't believe it's me taken so long to have to add bollock to the browser dictionary)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I can't see that any other way than "what if we did urban traffic/congestion reduction but also explicitly ablist for no good reason".

Hope they choke on all the "you're going to love this successful small business owner who has muscular dystrophy" articles the local and regional papers loved running a few years back.

How common is letting blue badge holders drive in pedestrianised areas? This is the first time I've heard of this even being a thing but obviously my horizons are pretty narrow on this. Having said that, I've been to York a couple of times and there are a lot of streets that definitely aren't big enough for wheelchairs to safely use the pavement, and this article smells a *lot* like the "disability advocate" arguments that keep appearing against LTNs and the Soho pedestrianisation and all turn out to be financed by the LTDA, minicab firms and Tories (but I repeat myself). Obviously having read dozens of bad faith "no actually it's *good* for disabled people to force them to play chicken with an Uber" arguments over the last year I'm a bit paranoid, but this is the first time I've heard of any claiming to represent blind people saying "Actually can we have more cars please?".

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah there are a lot of technically "roads" in York that are pedestrianised because you can't safely get a car down them, not that it would stop a dickhead in a 4x4 giving it a go. It also smells to me of car nonces using disabled people as a cover.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was just chatting to an angry disabled person in York to find out more. The issue is that while there are blue badge car parking spaces dotted around the city, they can be up to 200m or more away from where some disabled people have to go, thus the rule changes are going to prevent many disabled people from going about their business during working hours.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What an incredible baby tantrum lol. "Could it be that my famously terrible personality, behaviour, opinions and the stench of corruption around my candidacy are the problem? No, it is the civil servants who are wrong".

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And he'd have still got the job if he went for it, he'd have just had to deal with some mild criticism (among his media stooges and government friends fawning over him).

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah there are a lot of technically "roads" in York that are pedestrianised because you can't safely get a car down them, not that it would stop a dickhead in a 4x4 giving it a go. It also smells to me of car nonces using disabled people as a cover.

I live in York and when my wheelchair using stepmum comes to visit it's basically a nightmare going into town. It is not a made up issue.

The big issue is the lack of blue badge parking though, not the inability to get down some roads. The council is lib Dems with support from the greens, but the greens are hilariously un-green. They overturned labour control by playing up public anger about pedestrian roads in the town centre, and their big transport policy is expanding the ring road bypass to double lane. Just bizarre stuff.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

City centre here is entirely pedestrianised & I've got a very disabled friend whom I often drive into town, there's a load of free disabled parking right outside the mobility scooter place, it works absolutely fine, they cost less to hire than I'd spend on non-disabled parking anyway & she's got total independence to go about town whilst I get a sandwich or w/e

If towns don't have that facility then they definitely should because it's amazing, imo pedestrianisation+scooters is far better than hoping some oval office hasn't parked in the disabled bay you need (ime probably slightly better than even that they have).

But I guess you don't get signal boosted by the car nonces if you push for that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's no real advantage to car nonces from having a pedestrian area that acknowledges that some people cannot always easily pedester and allows them access with and only with a badge, at least not without getting into unpleasant "they let anyone have a badge these days" conspiracies.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The top management never actually have firstname.lastname@company (or whatever the policy is) for exactly this reason. At most places it just goes straight to second or third-line customer service - all you actually do is jump past the first-line reps which, to be fair, can actually be the only way to get some companies to do anything at all. It's ridiculous how many companies deliberately set their contact systems up as a labyrinth and only reward you with actual service if you can escape it.

Besides, top-level people never read their loving email even if you *can* get to them (hint - they're normally egotistical enough to just have firstname@ or initials@). If you actually want to get email to someone who can get poo poo done, find out who the CEO's PA is (you can normally work it out via LinkedIn or at a push through a little light social engineering through the press enquiries address), they *will* have firstname.lastname or whatever the policy is, and will just forward it on to the head of the relevant department sight unseen, which has the same basic effect as if you did actually manage to get through to Rupert Murdoch or whoever.

To add to this very good advice, I had my HSBC credit card skimmed years ago and some arsehole put thousands of quids worth of flights on it. HSBC initially refused to refund me and so I wrote a letter addressed by name to the then CEO on the basis it would get redirected to someone suitably scary. This must have happened because I ended up with a refund and a call from my account manager, who was forced to apologise by a Director from whatever their euphemism was at the time for customer service. Large companies are obsessive about getting customer feedback and if you can manage not to sound like a nutter in writing I think your odds are fairly good of getting at least heard: it’s not their money they are spending anyway to compensate you.

Small businesses on the other hand are not worth it unless you’re really willing to sue them, because small business owners are invariably tight-fisted bastards. They kind of have to be or they go bust.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/status/1461946210596663300

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That dude looks like has found some particularly choice mushrooms. :sparkles:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

That dude looks like has found some particularly choice mushrooms. :sparkles:

Geller possibly one of the few people on earth who is a bigger bullshitter than Johnson

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Geller possibly one of the few people on earth who is a bigger bullshitter than Johnson

Isn't Urigeller a Pokemon of some sort?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

There's no real advantage to car nonces from having a pedestrian area that acknowledges that some people cannot always easily pedester
Well, there is to the disabled ones

But yeah I was mostly alluding to those anti pedestrianisation protests you sometimes see with like a dozen gammons & exactly one disabled person that they're using as a smokescreen. Used to see loads of them in Bristol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's no real advantage to car nonces from having a pedestrian area that acknowledges that some people cannot always easily pedester and allows them access with and only with a badge, at least not without getting into unpleasant "they let anyone have a badge these days" conspiracies.

It's a wedge issue though. Like I say I can't say if this is the case with York, but in Soho and Covent Garden during the first covid lockdown they basically replicated what they'd already done years ago in Chinatown and made all of the side streets fully pedestrian, using the need for outdoor, socially-distanced dining areas as a justification for what a lot of people had wanted to do anyway. Everyone loved it apart from taxi drivers (who lost some of their favourite rat runs), and the shittier kind of business owner.

When the government stopped even pretending to care about covid, local residents and customers of businesses in Soho *overwhelmingly* wanted to make the changes permanent, but the LTDA and a couple of allied groups successfully lobbied WCC to not make the pedestrianisation permanent on the extremely tenuous grounds that it would prevent mobility-impaired people being able to be dropped off right at their destination, and that tables and chairs in the roadway blocked wheelchair access. Both of these are *technically* true, of course, but anyone who's been to Soho will know that, notoriously, almost none of the pavements are actually wide enough for a wheelchair anyway.

Similarly in York I'm willing to bet the existing requirement for blue-badge access prevents any kind of actual "proper" pedestrianisation and instead just leaves a rather complex shared-space scheme - banning all vehicular traffic would let the businesses properly use the roadways like in Soho, and make it that much harder to go back, so (if this is the Trojan horse campaign I suspect it is) this is an attempt to at least keep the roads open so they can then lobby to allow other traffic back in.

The proper solution is of course what Borrovan mentioned - good-quality parking for disabled people with mobility scooter hire available on the edge of the pedestrianised area. Of course this will be slightly less convenient for some people with mobility issues, but much, much more convenient for the majority of people with such issues because it massively widens the footway.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't Urigeller a Pokemon of some sort?
https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/30/21726492/pokemon-nintendo-lawsuit-uri-geller-kadabra-apology

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 20, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Normal media, normal country

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1461990423598092288?t=Y7qGDJH9qPA_SVPzohH3eQ&s=09

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If I were Uk Dictator I'd have Patel incarcerated for inciting violence and hate speech. She really is an appalling creature.
It's quite obvious that any support for Palestinians is going to end up being equated with anti-semitism and end up either with jail or everyone terrified to speak out.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i mean good luck

i'm pretty much a coward in most regards but i'm not going to ever be scared off from supporting palestinians

if it's literally devolved to the point where i get thrown in jail for tweeting 'free palestine' then it's loving over anyway, won't matter much

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, remember when people kept insisting that Glenn Greenwald was still good?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1461781981293854727

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

His Divine Shadow posted:

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

Just to circle back to this, I'm not 100% sure the Euro is bad.
Now granted this is based on my limited secondary school study of economics, but one of the strengths of the Euro was to tie member states economy together.
IE, you don't let one country tank their economy, because it would have even more of a knock-on effect to it's neighbours than normal.
Now whether that is completely true is a matter for more experts.
But it seems to me the fact that the UK was never in the Euro meant they were never as invested in staying in the EU as other countries. Maybe Brexit wouldn't have happened if the notion of massive currency changes had to happen. (Or alternatively the Farages of the world would have campaigned for it on the basis of "get the pounds back".)

The flip side of this is if Ireland was still using the Punt, I am not convinced that the rest of the EU would be as willing to go to the mat for Ireland in all the Brexit negotiations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Similarly in York I'm willing to bet the existing requirement for blue-badge access prevents any kind of actual "proper" pedestrianisation and instead just leaves a rather complex shared-space scheme - banning all vehicular traffic would let the businesses properly use the roadways like in Soho, and make it that much harder to go back, so (if this is the Trojan horse campaign I suspect it is) this is an attempt to at least keep the roads open so they can then lobby to allow other traffic back in.
I guess it depends on how you do it. When I think "access for permit holders" style semi-pedestrianization, I think what they did with High Street in Leicester:

Emergency vehicles, people who require assisted access to their place of work, delivery drivers (at certain times of day only), and a very small amount of other traffic are allowed through and nobody else.

That has a side advantage of preventing full 'pedestrianization' where the pubs and chicken shops metastasize out across the entire street, so it ends up better for wheelchairs and mobility scooters too. Contrast that with the Clock Tower area that has been fully pedestrianized for years and ends up fully colonized with street preachers, impromptu dance acts, and knock off peppa pig balloons.

sebzilla posted:

Normal media, normal country
https://twitter.com/VisPotnoodle/status/1461995991226359809

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If I were Uk Dictator I'd have Patel incarcerated for inciting violence and hate speech. She really is an appalling creature.
It's quite obvious that any support for Palestinians is going to end up being equated with anti-semitism and end up either with jail or everyone terrified to speak out.

Is any of that stuff really going to hold up in court? Like, criticising Israel in a non AS way still gets labeled AS by bad faith actors and/or idiots, but in a legal setting surely most accusations would fall apart. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think that if something genuinely is not antisemitic then it should be fairly easy to defend as such if the trial is fair

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paperhouse posted:

Maybe I'm being naive

Got it in one.

The point is it takes a lot of time and resources to defend yourself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paperhouse posted:

if the trial is fair

There's your problem.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

His Divine Shadow posted:

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

That's a funny opinion to have considering creating the Euro was a price Germany had to pay for reunification and was pushed by France.

Also, the Euro is good, actually. Always keep in mind that the EU was formed as a peace project from the start with economics coming second. One of its goals is the erasure of internal borders, which conveniently put several smoldering border conflicts to rest (see also: NI before Brexit…). Not having to worry about exchanging money is a serious boon for anyone who travels across borders or does any kind of commerce across borders.

The real problem with the Euro is the lack of a proper political union to drive a coherent monetary policy…

e: s/weird/funny/

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 20, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

That's a weird opinion to have considering creating the Euro was a price Germany had to pay for reunification and was pushed by France.

How is that a weird opinion? That was decades ago, and in general EU fiscal policy has tended to favour what Germany (a company that makes an exports things) wants rather than what anyone else wants. That's not particularly controversial and given Germany is the single largest EU economy it's not surprising either.

'The real problem with the Euro is the lack of a proper political union to drive a coherent monetary policy' is precisely what we're complaining about and why the UK having joined it would have been a poor idea.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

IE, you don't let one country tank their economy, because it would have even more of a knock-on effect to it's neighbours than normal.

Hello hi *points at Greece some more*

There is no EU political abillity to 'not let one country tank their economy' but it means they have a much, much more painful time of it once they've done that. And it's not the people doing the tanking who pay the price.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

feedmegin posted:

How is that a weird opinion?

Sorry, I used the word wrong. I just found it amusing because of how many attempts to reign Germany in have backfired.

Though I do think it achieved at least one objective, which is that Germany doing anything aggressive signs its own economic death warrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Paperhouse posted:

Is any of that stuff really going to hold up in court? Like, criticising Israel in a non AS way still gets labeled AS by bad faith actors and/or idiots, but in a legal setting surely most accusations would fall apart. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think that if something genuinely is not antisemitic then it should be fairly easy to defend as such if the trial is fair

Why would it not hold up in court? What is the judge gonna do, will they say ok let's look at the constitution... oh wait, there isn't one... where it explicitly guarantees freedom of speech.... oh no wait, it doesn't really... and also there's a lot of case law saying that this freedom of speech is very broad and protects all kinds of unpopular political opinions especially... or is there? Probably isn't

Mate, this is the UK, what are you on about