Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would contend that Italy isn't a super ancient civilization. Even Greek arguably isn't, but it gets to claim Minoan culture, which pushes its origins into the same category as Egypt, a proper ancient civilization. Aside from that, I'd argue it's easier to imagine Greece still being a continuation of Ancient Greece when what it's known for is thinking, while "Italy" was known for kicking rear end, but then spent like a thousand years getting pushed around by outsiders.

i'm not even gonna say you're wrong, but i laughed, no kidding, hard and out loud at this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Same with Belgium. I can imagine some Belgians even going "Belgian culture? That's a thing?!" (it is, but it's complicated)

"Beer and Hergé" isn't really complicated.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
When I hear “Belgian culture” I reach for my brown ale

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tree Goat posted:

When I hear “Belgian culture” I reach for my brown ale

I dubbel and tripel check mine constantly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just reach for my FN, the Walloon export of which caused a political crisis in the early nineties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only true italians left live in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I reach for my fries and mayo personally.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I reach for my fries and mayo personally.

mussels and mayo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

brussels & heyo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/twitersbadboy/status/1458736879168327680

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol didn't look closely

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Tei posted:

Theres a famous photo of some rich homes in paris where the windows did not had windowblinds.

It was a shock to many people here in spain. "What the hell!". The average spanish probably think these are the most advanced people on earth. But having not blinds on the windows is like... what the hell is this non-terrae barbarian place?

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/12/inenglish/1523524502_160274.html

That 20% is explained by 80% of spanish thinking the foreigners have windows blinds and ignorance they don't.

It's weird ... I've been living in Spain as an expat almost three years and always self-conscious as the only apartment in sight with the blinds open... What must the neighbors think?

But I don't think privacy is the full story, we have light curtains that let in light but don't let you see what we're doing... and we get glimpses that our neighbors have the same. But still, most of the time if you were just to step out into our balcony and look around, you would think we live in a deserted city if it weren't for activity on the street.

For that matter, no one else uses their balconies either. It seems only foreigners use their balconies for anything besides storage. Which is weird because to me it's a huge draw for an apartment.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Are they counting some train going through a mountain for Switzerland? They have a lot of trams but I don't recall a subway in any of their major cities.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a bit of underground (or tunnel at least) in Lausanne. I guess that sort of counts?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I wonder if decades of fascism had any influence on window blinds in Spain.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

People here also love to use speakerphone in public, or is that a thing everywhere now? It boggles the mind.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Are they counting some train going through a mountain for Switzerland? They have a lot of trams but I don't recall a subway in any of their major cities.

My guess it’s the „S-Bahn“ which at least in Zurich has some underground stretches. I wouldn’t call it an underground/ U-Bahn, but it’s pretty similar.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Spaniards loving being inside pitch black houses explains a lot of their famous painters. Goya, Velazquez, etc.
Like you expect sunny bright stuff and no.
But instead they're like weird Mediterranean goths or something.

Molly Ringwald: France
Judd Nelson: Greece
Emilio Estevez: Italy
Anthony Michael Hall: Portugal
Ally Sheedy: Spain

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 20, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Regnum Gothorum, checks out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

See Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtnPqP9fn8

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

People here also love to use speakerphone in public, or is that a thing everywhere now? It boggles the mind.

That's just assholes everywhere.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Armacham posted:

That's just assholes everywhere.

Eh, in my anecdotal experience, Southern and Eastern Europeans do really do this more often - or, at least, holding their phone in front of them when calling instead of pressed to their ear.

What will never not amuse me though is when moslimas stick their phone in their hijab and make hands-free calls like that. Really practical.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Grape posted:

Spaniards loving being inside pitch black houses explains a lot of their famous painters. Goya, Velazquez, etc.
Like you expect sunny bright stuff and no.

The conventions of Baroque art entirely explain the “darkness” in Velásquez. Regarding Goya, there is a huge contrast between his early and later styles due to mental and physical illness and the political and social situation in Spain after 1800.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

King Hong Kong posted:

The conventions of Baroque art entirely explain the “darkness” in Velásquez. Regarding Goya, there is a huge contrast between his early and later styles due to mental and physical illness and the political and social situation in Spain after 1800.
So what you're saying is shutters are the reason for Baroque art's darkness, cause mental and physical illness, and are the cause of Spanish political turmoil in the last 200 years?
Sounds plausible.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So what you're saying is shutters are the reason for Baroque art's darkness, cause mental and physical illness, and are the cause of Spanish political turmoil in the last 200 years?
Sounds plausible.

No doubt Goya (and Spain with him) adopted shutters as a response to the horrific sight of French people outside, from which no recovery was possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never thought of Spaniards as having a particularly sunny disposition, given their history. Wow! Religious persecution and conquering entire continents! Those wacky, fun-loving Mediterraneans!

That said, my best friend's Spanish girlfriend (from Valladolid), who is over here for the time being, does say she misses the sun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
She needs the sun to observe the destruction wrought by her compatriots and later on derive grim pleasure from it as she broods in a pitch black sitting room.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

This thread has gone full Edward Gibbon, in particular the passage where he compares Alaric and the Goths to Charles V and the Spaniards, who were characterized by their “gloomy pride.”

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The darkest darkness can only truly exist in the sun kissed lands of the Med, for only with high contrast can darkness truly uh dark.

Other data points on Med people being the truest goths and crazy metalheads stuff:
-Greeks being really into extreme Metal
-NATURAL black hair for lots of people? lol at North Euros ever beating that (nice hair dye Siouxie and Robert Smith)
-big bushy mustaches are way more Metal than lanky long hair, much more dark ages guy with axe about to kill a farmer looking
-all the old widow ladies dress in black 24/7
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6LKszIrDzo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Paintings from Spain's early modern golden age always have everyone in black.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grape posted:

Literally.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 21, 2021

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The omnious Tchuds of Estonia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PYF Chud maps

one for ants:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 21, 2021

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

"Atlantis" Transverse Oblique Homolographic Equal-Area arrangement

Designed to show the North Temparate Zone, chief development area of mankind, in compact equal area relationship to the rest of the world.

John Bartholomew, 1953

(Click for big)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 22, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This was posted in the C-SPAM pictures thread but you all need to see it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
In case you're wondering, the ACT is considered a joke in Australia as well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

This was posted in the C-SPAM pictures thread but you all need to see it.

This owns

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not an expert of swedish history or geography but shouldn't Västergötland actually cover any of the area called Västergötland? Slapping Götaland all over Svealand is a bold move but at least it also covers the eastern parts of Östergötland. (väst = west, öst = east)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

King Hong Kong posted:

No doubt Goya (and Spain with him) adopted shutters as a response to the horrific sight of French people outside, from which no recovery was possible.

lol

But the notion that Spaniards are gloomy and severe is an old one though, it's a stereotype that dates back at least to the 17th century. I've never met a Spanish person who fits that bill. The closest I can think of is the former queen of Belgium, Fabiola, who was a very devout and conservative Catholic lady that looked like a walking corpse during the last 25 years of her life. And even she would often still smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The change prolly has something to do with the fact that while more than half of Spain is catholic, only 18% of modern spaniards self-identify as practicing.