Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is there gonna be arnother round of personal challenges for german BB tokens or is that it?

Doesn't seem like it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ZombieLenin posted:

Are they going to, you know, actually release the Soviet CVs?

Also, I’ve been playing the Dutch cruisers a bit, and while I at first thought they were gimmicky as poo poo—they still sort of are—now that I am sort of getting a hang of the gun characteristics and when and how to use the airdrops, they aren’t bad.

I am not holding my breath on doing this often, but last night I had a match in my Haarlem where I wiped all three of the other teams DDs with airdrops.

I enjoyed those hackusations and tears.

This patch released them to the standard tech tree.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Are they going to, you know, actually release the Soviet CVs?

Also, I’ve been playing the Dutch cruisers a bit, and while I at first thought they were gimmicky as poo poo—they still sort of are—now that I am sort of getting a hang of the gun characteristics and when and how to use the airdrops, they aren’t bad.

I am not holding my breath on doing this often, but last night I had a match in my Haarlem where I wiped all three of the other teams DDs with airdrops.

I enjoyed those hackusations and tears.

The Soviet CVs look to be broken, even for CVs. I will be getting the T8 Pobeda today, but respected Youtuber and CV-main TopTier has already said that if you have this ship you don't ever need to get Kaga or even Enterprise. Haven't seen much around the T10 yet, but since the Soviet gimmick is better the higher the tier (because it counters AA better and better), it is probably going to be the best CV in the game at a guess.

I really, really like the Johann DeWitt - far more than I expected (an run range mod on it). However the Haarlem I found to be utter trash, one of the worst ships in the game. I have no clue why they gave it BB-duration fires. The only other one I played was the T7 and it is mediocre. I haven't had enough chance to play the Loeuw to form an opinion, but it looks similar to the DeWitt and also strong.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 11, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi to the folks I ran into last night. Sorry I couldn't chat more. Losing eyesight has not been a fun thing :unsmith:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Hi to the folks I ran into last night. Sorry I couldn't chat more. Losing eyesight has not been a fun thing :unsmith:

Hi Stanley, it’s okay, sorry about your vision! Glad you can still play and hopefully have fun.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Velius posted:

Hi Stanley, it’s okay, sorry about your vision! Glad you can still play and hopefully have fun.

Sometimes I use a magnifying glass to aim. :q:

Didn't know toadee is tenfingertentoes. I've watched him stream a few times. Small world and all that ;)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Didn't know toadee is tenfingertentoes. I've watched him stream a few times. Small world and all that ;)

Small like his stream viewer count, boom!

I’m sure you’ve looked into your options and I feel like an rear end saying it, but there are shortcuts to magnify around the cursor in Windows that might help you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Velius posted:

Small like his stream viewer count, boom!

I’m sure you’ve looked into your options and I feel like an rear end saying it, but there are shortcuts to magnify around the cursor in Windows that might help you.

Don't feel like an rear end, that's a good option to point out! :) My vision loss has been fairly recent so I'm just figuring things out and truth be told I didn't know the magnifier would work in a game. Gonna try that out, thanks!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Stanley Pain posted:

Oh cool, GGs man!

kaesarsosei posted:

respected Youtuber and CV-main TopTier has already said

Nahkimov is pretty annoying for sure, but I had to laugh at this sentence because TopTier is probably the most universally derided content making CV main. You're far better off watching ReimuBakarei for an NA CC that actually makes a lot of content about CVs. Or of course Gaishu if he ever starts making content again

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Oh cool, GGs man!

I like that synth setup you have.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I like that synth setup you have.

Thanks! I finally got the audio routing setup worked out for me to stream music stuff too

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, a month until my coupon resets and I have plenty of steel. I can choose between the following steel ships and wanted your guys' thoughts on which to pick:

Shikishima: big gun sound effects, more secondaries, but to me I see no need since I have Yamato and Musashi.
Bourgogne: best steel BB, but I'm unsure how fun it is in the new anti-BB meta.
Austin: Meme guns, situational, but maybe the shorter range also doesn't work in the meta.
Plymouth: No clue about this ship, never seen it in-game, even.
Ragnar: I have Smaland, so the question is what does this do that the Smaland doesn't? I also don't know much about it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

So, a month until my coupon resets and I have plenty of steel. I can choose between the following steel ships and wanted your guys' thoughts on which to pick:

Shikishima: big gun sound effects, more secondaries, but to me I see no need since I have Yamato and Musashi.
Bourgogne: best steel BB, but I'm unsure how fun it is in the new anti-BB meta.
Austin: Meme guns, situational, but maybe the shorter range also doesn't work in the meta.
Plymouth: No clue about this ship, never seen it in-game, even.
Ragnar: I have Smaland, so the question is what does this do that the Smaland doesn't? I also don't know much about it.

I have Austin and Ragnar (and Smaland). Ragnar is a significantly bigger Smaland, but with cruiser guns so it applies damage and fires to battleships and cruisers easily, while Smaland is largely restricted to fire damage and superstructure pens on battleships and heavy cruisers. In exchange it’s huge, unwieldy, and the speed boost seems shorter. But it’s a damage farmer that really isn’t equaled anywhere.

Austin is a gimmicky boat that can annihilate dumb dds and farm battleships with Sap, but it’s got very little armor, and no radar. I have like five battles in mine, and about 50 in Ragnar.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So when are we getting a steel soviet carrier to rival the fdr?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Other points about Ragnar: it has 25mm armor, no non German or 100mm ijn DDs cant pen you anywhere. You also have 30k base hp and 15k worth of heals with the heal flag. The big thing is that Ragnar with speed boost up changes direction quickly enough that cruisers become viable food. You pen them everywhere and they have a really hard time landing shells past 10km

https://streamable.com/ceeewh

It also gets Elbing dispersion on those 152s, so you land basically everything

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

toadee posted:

Other points about Ragnar: it has 25mm armor, no non German or 100mm ijn DDs cant pen you anywhere. You also have 30k base hp and 15k worth of heals with the heal flag. The big thing is that Ragnar with speed boost up changes direction quickly enough that cruisers become viable food. You pen them everywhere and they have a really hard time landing shells past 10km

https://streamable.com/ceeewh

It also gets Elbing dispersion on those 152s, so you land basically everything

Guess I'm getting Ragnar since I have a dedicated gunboat build captain. gently caress, that looks fun.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Regarding 100% cashback coupon for birthdays, can you buy dubloons, get twice that, and spend them on a discounted premium time later on?
Or are premium times generally not available for dubs to prevent exactly that double-dip?

If this isnt working, id instead go for 6 months premium and get 40 bucks worth of dubs "for free" i guess...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JBdLYEetfs

This ship is utterly ridiculous.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

In the 2nd PTS, I had the Conde where they gave it the accurate burst fire, but removed a salvo. A Minotaur was spotted before the smoke could set in. I still managed to burst fire 24 shells at him about 2 seconds and he was gone.
That was fun. I also did a 30k HE salvo to a Satsuna that should have been AP if I'd been smart enough to swap.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
will isee the day that some GoonSquid officer upgrades the stellport?
If they arent playing anymore, is there any chance someone else takes over without them coming online to do this?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Black Friday deals are live. The only thing super interesting is the Alaska B for 16,500 dubs if you missed out on this ship before it was removed.

There is also the Jean Bart B—fun ship if you don’t own it; however, the Alaska is the most OP removed ship available for dubs this year.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is there any way to just buy a ship you want (Jean Bart) instead of loving around with lootboxes and bundles? I'd go look in game but I ain't reinstalling just to find out.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yes, you can buy them directly.

I nought the scharn because im a sucker for german BBs, and then i realized you need both the regular AND the B variant to get the special mission.
Like, why would i loving buy the same ship twice?

Right now my dilemma is that i could buy Halland if i got rid of Östergötland, but my Jerzy is lvl 10 and my regular captain is 16, so i have 2 captains id like to use... is the Öster worth keeping?
Should i save up for a Ragnar?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Do you need to buy them in game or can you do it via a web store? I couldn't find anything except bundles and lootboxes on the Wargaming website.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

And no there's no reason to keep an Oster when you could have a Halland.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ingame, theres a Black friday tab in the armory.

Guess ill sell the Öster then, but i will probably use my 16-point captain over a 10pt Jerzy...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Posted in tanks thread, but well, it deserves posting here too.

I was just reminded of this gem while watching a video from a youtuber named Josh Strife Hayes. I was linked to him in the new world threads where he has moved from a "interesting game" at beta to "holy crap, how are the devs this bad" as of late. He does mmos in general and released a video yesterday about pay to win. I just happened to switch to the screen to see him scrolling a gamasutra headline from gdc in 2013. Wargaming proclaiming they were kicking pay to win to the curb in all their existing and future products.
See the article here:
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/wargaming-kicks-pay-to-win-monetization-to-the-curb

8 years has changed the company a lot since then.....

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I nought the scharn because im a sucker for german BBs, and then i realized you need both the regular AND the B variant to get the special mission.
Like, why would i loving buy the same ship twice?

It's meant as a partial refund because they are too dumb/lazy to make it cheaper to buy the B version of a ship you already own.

Also it turns out that I have permissions so the GOON steelport is now upgraded.

Also also, I see there's a whole new crop of coal ships (except lol, Salem is still there), are any good?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 19, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Posted in tanks thread, but well, it deserves posting here too.

I was just reminded of this gem while watching a video from a youtuber named Josh Strife Hayes. I was linked to him in the new world threads where he has moved from a "interesting game" at beta to "holy crap, how are the devs this bad" as of late. He does mmos in general and released a video yesterday about pay to win. I just happened to switch to the screen to see him scrolling a gamasutra headline from gdc in 2013. Wargaming proclaiming they were kicking pay to win to the curb in all their existing and future products.
See the article here:
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/wargaming-kicks-pay-to-win-monetization-to-the-curb

8 years has changed the company a lot since then.....

Im not sure pay to win is very accurate though - what is it in World of Warships you need to pay in order to win?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

toadee posted:

Im not sure pay to win is very accurate though - what is it in World of Warships you need to pay in order to win?

Flags for one comes to mind. But mostly I was thinking about the event ships where they even admit you can't even get it for free no matter how hard to try. Because you'll still be a couple rings short after collecting the maximum number of whatever token name they call it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Flags for one comes to mind. But mostly I was thinking about the event ships where they even admit you can't even get it for free no matter how hard to try. Because you'll still be a couple rings short after collecting the maximum number of whatever token name they call it.

But how is that pay to win? None of the event ships have ever been overpowered meta defining ships that are must haves, and you can get flags for free

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah this game isn’t pay to win; it’s more play to pay, where it allows you to get some of the way just by playing the game then uses sunk cost effect to encourage you to drop real money to finish what you started. Dockyard, early access to new lines, a few free tokens to get you started and then real money to get to the real prizes. Even premium (which is honestly pretty fairly priced and easy to get for free) is set up as “look how much you’re missing out on by playing without premium.”

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yea, in a strict sense the game isn't pay to win, but they have been increasingly less generous over the years and now its Pay to be less frustrated.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Its most certainly pay to skip grind, no doubt

They are still quite generous in Clan Battles bonuses. I guess because so few people play Clan Battles at the level needed to really take advantage. Fully loaded up (all econ + super econ + spring sky camo), you pull down 1.2mil credits, 56k Commander XP, and 37k Fxp, per win. Winning 10-12 battles/night/season really, really really adds up.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Snowflakes seem Meh this year. Not even sure what the tier x does or where its even redeemable.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Burns posted:

Snowflakes seem Meh this year. Not even sure what the tier x does or where its even redeemable.

The T10 certs will be redeemable next update when the Santa Crates come out. 1 cert = 1 small santa crate, 3 = medium crate, and 5 = big crate. Previously it was just 1 small santa crate per T10 flake, so this at least gives you the option to trade up for the bigger ones if you want them.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just lol at those loving scam-crates, of course i got zero ships out of all that i got for free and i sure as hell wont buy a single one.
Those droprates they show are a complete show, and if you really think you could get something for free youre basically an idiot.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Well, they don't seem to publish drop rates for free crates, but I would guess they're low. The 'premium' black friday ones are only a 12% chance of a ship drop. I still blew 2000 doubloons to get this set of 3 + some other stuff, ended up with 100k commander xp, 21 camos, 1250 doubloons, 10 days of premium, and 14 flags. Not a shock given probabilities. I don't know what to tell you if you're shocked and disappointed that free crates in a free to play game didn't give you $50 ships. For what it's worth, in my 5 years of playing I think I've gotten a single ship from free containers, an Anshan.

Velius fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 20, 2021

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I got a West Virginia once. That was… nice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
10 crates and got the Atlanta B and the Alaska B. Already had the Alaska.