Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m not sure it’s technically coming to KU, but Volume 1 of Mother of Learning, which has sat at the top as the #1 story on RoyalRoad for like 3 years, is coming to Amazon on December 1. It’s a great story, I highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Silynt posted:

I’m not sure it’s technically coming to KU, but Volume 1 of Mother of Learning, which has sat at the top as the #1 story on RoyalRoad for like 3 years, is coming to Amazon on December 1. It’s a great story, I highly recommend.

I read this a couple of weeks ago on Fiction Press and enjoyed it. What I really want to know is, did the author revise it or is it just a repackaged version? Because while Arc 1 was reasonably good, and Arc 2 was also okay, I thought Arc 3 had some big pacing problems.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

awesmoe posted:

he sure did grab the idiot ball a couple of times, yup
I liked it (more than 'the iron prince'). The introduction was pretty creepy and that hooked me long enough to get through the slower middle section. Yeah, a whole lot better than some of the other crap I've been reading recently, that's for sure.

and not a single hint of romance anywhere!

There are definitely hints of romance, just nothing solid yet. I enjoyed it more than most despite the idiot ball moments because the idiot ball moments aren't constant and the setup of the world avoids many of the common problems with terrible progression fantasy/litrpg. Although the whole instant connection between the lead and two who woke up with him is non-sensical and really brought down the overall story in the first half for being so forced. Unlike say Iron Prince where the entire world makes no sense from scratch and permeates every single moment of the book, at least Bastion has something you can sit back and enjoy that doesn't require 100% turning off your brain.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leng posted:

I read this a couple of weeks ago on Fiction Press and enjoyed it. What I really want to know is, did the author revise it or is it just a repackaged version? Because while Arc 1 was reasonably good, and Arc 2 was also okay, I thought Arc 3 had some big pacing problems.

Someone else is helping him publish it and I believe they edited it some.

"There have been changes, but they've been relatively modest. I tried to do an extensive rewrite first, but it was altering the tone of the story too much. The story is still the same, it's just some scenes that have been altered or slightly expanded upon."

"There are no extensive rewrites, but it's not just a light edit, either. Some things have been added, and some paragraphs changed. But overall the story is still the same."

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Cicero posted:

The latest hotness in the progression fantasy community is Bastion. I'm like a third of the way through it and can confirm that it's good. Feels maybe similar to Iron Prince, but slightly better overall? I like the protagonist.

edit: might have to withdraw what I said about the protagonist, what a loving dumbass

I’ve been really enjoying the story, but I think I’ve reached the point you did here, because that’s roughly where I am and the protagonist has, sort of out of the blue, has started driving me nuts. Does he get better than when he’s acting like a little bitch to all of his friends who say to take it easy so you don’t kill yourself? Walking around punching walls in anger because someone suggested he not act suicidally? The fact that his “frustration” is important to reaching a high level makes me think that this is a character trait the author wants to push, which sucks because he’s just a loving annoying bitch at the moment.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Will Wight made a long post on his blog about how long some of his Cradle plot points have been cooking.

Will Wight posted:

Eithan - As I mentioned on stream recently, I had developed Eithan's character before even Lindon's. He was a fun mentor character that I really wanted to write, and had developed for another series, but thought he was a great fit for Cradle. One of my regrets in Unsouled was that we couldn't meet Eithan yet.

Orthos - I knew from Unsouled that I wanted Lindon to develop black dragon powers and have a corresponding animal companion, but I decided to make Orthos a turtle and gave him his powers while planning Blackflame.

Mercy - I always intended there to be a female companion named Mercy, and it was a quick decision to make her cheery and upbeat to contrast with the usually dour Lindon and Yerin. I took the opportunity to tie her into the Akura family, whom I developed while working on Blackflame, so that I could show them off.

Hunger arm - Pretty early on, I knew I wanted to give Lindon the ability to absorb the power of others. Had a lot of plot reasons for that, but the main reason was that it was cool. The tie-in to the Dreadgods was, of course, a natural fit.

I originally wanted Lindon to lose one arm and one eye, to play up the "duality" theme of his character design and reflect the two cores, but the nature of how he lost his arm and his Goldsign being eye-color-changing made me reconsider the eye thing.

Dross - From before starting Unsouled, I knew I wanted to do a pocket world arc. It became an underwater-themed pocket dimension simply because I love the underwater aesthetic.

I knew I wanted whatever the "prize" of the facility was to be relevant to Lindon when he ascended, and I knew I eventually wanted Lindon to develop his own Presence, but it was a friend of mine who suggested those two things should be one and the same. That was when I was working on Ghostwater.

Prior to that, I knew I wanted all those things, but I hadn't combined them.

Undersage / Overherald - This is another one of those points where I knew I wanted certain things, but I found the opportunity to combine them.

Lindon's connection to the Void Icon was something I had set up from the very beginning...sort of. I laid the groundwork one step at a time, knowing that I wanted Lindon's powers to be thematically linked at the end, and I even knew the "void / emptiness" theme. That part, I'd been setting up for a long time.

But I didn't figure out how to tie all that together in a neat little bow until working on Wintersteel. I also knew that at the end of the tournament I wanted both Lindon and Yerin to reach unique advancement stages, though it wasn't until I was designing the UKT that I had a flickering lightbulb over my head and realize we should be preparing Yerin for the power-up Lindon's going to get and vice-versa.

That swip-swap thing (that's a technical literary term, take notes) was a last-minute stroke of inspiration. I usually don't trust sudden inspiration, but this one brought cookies, so I let it inside.

Ozriel - Of course I've known Ozriel's identity from the beginning of Unsouled. There was no other way to write the story.

​If I didn't know who he was, I wouldn't have put Suriel on a series-long journey to find him, I would have pulled an Elder Empire and had the entire premise of the series be "The most powerful guy in all existence is dead, so now what do we do?"

End of the Series - Naturally, I knew from the beginning that everything was leading up to a rap battle between Lindon and the Mad King. These hot bars have burned inside me for years, and I can't wait to let them out.

Summary - Reading it all laid out like this, I think it comes down to this: I often know vaguely what I want to do, in general terms, but how I do it is usually up to my last-minute imagination and fickle whims.

Usually. Some scenes are burned into my mind years in advance.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Silynt posted:

I’ve been really enjoying the story, but I think I’ve reached the point you did here, because that’s roughly where I am and the protagonist has, sort of out of the blue, has started driving me nuts. Does he get better than when he’s acting like a little bitch to all of his friends who say to take it easy so you don’t kill yourself? Walking around punching walls in anger because someone suggested he not act suicidally? The fact that his “frustration” is important to reaching a high level makes me think that this is a character trait the author wants to push, which sucks because he’s just a loving annoying bitch at the moment.
I think he gets less annoying towards the end, just because of where the story goes, but he never stops being very much a shonen protagonist.

Anyway, finished the book, interesting that (also Iron Prince spoilers) while the overall structure and feel is similar, there's a fundamental difference in that Iron Prince has the system just in need of some tweaks, some reform, while in Bastion it's fundamentally corrupt at its root.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

edited spoiler posted:

Naturally, I knew from the beginning that everything was leading up to a rap battle between [redacted]

Will Wight's prose has gotten so much more fun since he stopped taking himself as seriously (imo) as he did in his earlier series.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

men with puns posted:

Will Wight's prose has gotten so much more fun since he stopped taking himself as seriously (imo) as he did in his earlier series.

Truth. More writers need a blooper reel.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Blooper reel is definitely one of the best innovations I've seen in fiction.

The recent trend to include recaps at the beginning of new books is also appreciated.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I should really pay more attention when you all are talking about litrpgs I haven't read. Just got to the end of book 4 of the Dungeon Lord series only to realize that was the one where the author had been MIA for a while. Though apparently book 5 is finally in the hands of the editor now.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m legitimately hate reading the last 25% of Bastion. Scorio has such quintessential white guy energy and it’s driving me nuts. This unending sense that he deserves what was taken from him, and how dare others get more than him, and god forbid someone ask him to accept that maybe his circumstances are just unfavorable and learn to deal with it. The blistering hot anger he feels when his friends suggest that he’s killing himself for power that serves no purpose other than to power his ego. I had to put the book down and walk away when Leonis suggested that he gets more powerful the more “oppressed” he is, because if that isn’t indignant white guy energy I don’t know what is. I laughed out loud when he was watching a revolutionary speechify about overthrowing the powers that be and saw that she was another Red Lister, which makes him think “if anyone has cause to be mad it’s her”; he is incapable of thinking that the genuinely oppressed peoples’ circumstances could be as bad as a Red Lister’s because they’re where they belong but he is supposed to be somewhere better.

Also, this isn’t related to the character and just to the writing, but it really pissed me off that he defeated Naomi two seconds after becoming an Emberling, given that they have effectively identical body transformation powers.

Anyways, /rant.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Silynt posted:

I’m legitimately hate reading the last 25% of Bastion. Scorio has such quintessential white guy energy and it’s driving me nuts. This unending sense that he deserves what was taken from him, and how dare others get more than him, and god forbid someone ask him to accept that maybe his circumstances are just unfavorable and learn to deal with it. The blistering hot anger he feels when his friends suggest that he’s killing himself for power that serves no purpose other than to power his ego. I had to put the book down and walk away when Leonis suggested that he gets more powerful the more “oppressed” he is, because if that isn’t indignant white guy energy I don’t know what is. I laughed out loud when he was watching a revolutionary speechify about overthrowing the powers that be and saw that she was another Red Lister, which makes him think “if anyone has cause to be mad it’s her”; he is incapable of thinking that the genuinely oppressed peoples’ circumstances could be as bad as a Red Lister’s because they’re where they belong but he is supposed to be somewhere better.

Also, this isn’t related to the character and just to the writing, but it really pissed me off that he defeated Naomi two seconds after becoming an Emberling, given that they have effectively identical body transformation powers.

Anyways, /rant.

Yeah the author does a decent job of writing Scorio just right

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I also enjoyed Bastion overall, but something like from the 50% point to 80% had me quite frustrated with Scorio. It was good that his Tomb spark revelation was to quit being such a whiner and accept responsibility for his past actions at least.

I was kinda surprised/frustrated that he never used having access to another gauntlet to get around his two oaths regarding his next gauntlet run. I was sure he was going to do the typical clever very specifically worded oath "Yeah, I promised not to heal before my next gauntlet run/I promise not to go more than 6 rooms deep in my next gauntlet run" and then go fulfil that in the ruined gauntlet before coming back and giving it his all in the known gauntlet. I also feel like it would have made sense to at least pick up some treasures from winning the run before announcing he was bailing, since his damaged heart is such a problem for him. Real dick move by Sol just restoring him to his pre-Imogen state of damage rather than fixing it up too.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Real dick move by Sol just restoring him to his pre-Imogen state of damage rather than fixing it up too.

I suspect it was simply that Sol, having been friends with him in the past knew that it would boost Scorio into a frenzy. Bastion has something like ten years to go before destruction, there's no time to take things easy.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

There were some posts about the Supersales on Superheroes series earlier, but they failed to mention the absolute creative madness of this author. It's not a stand-alone series - its one of 11 trilogies under two different names ( A different name for the series with explicit sex-scenes, because of reasons).

It's always a hero with a harem he didn't really want at first. All series play in some kind of virtual worlds created by the MC's of the first two trilogies, and characters of the earlier books show up as gods or super-powered enemies in the later series. Characters use portals to jump from one trilogy to the other. I find the whole of it absolutely hilarious, just for the number of books and the shear size of the universe he created.

The mean thing: After each trilogy ends, it's re-released as a compilation with an extra epilogue that expands on how the different trilogies are related. That doesn't go on kindle unlimited. You need to buy the compliation or subscribe to the patreon to get it. I'm not really sure that's in the spirit of the kindle unlimited thing, but it works for the author I guess.

I just love staying in a universe over so many different books, even if they are mediocre in itself. Closest thing I found was some werewolf romance series going from one family, to the second family, to the university of shifters, and finally to the security company of the first family when nobody else was left to write about. But I'm not sure paranormal romance is the right thing for this thread.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Romance as a whole, including paranormal, is on a tier above kindle unlimited so feel free to elevate our posting.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonikaTSarn posted:

There were some posts about the Supersales on Superheroes series earlier, but they failed to mention the absolute creative madness of this author. It's not a stand-alone series - its one of 11 trilogies under two different names ( A different name for the series with explicit sex-scenes, because of reasons).

It's always a hero with a harem he didn't really want at first. All series play in some kind of virtual worlds created by the MC's of the first two trilogies, and characters of the earlier books show up as gods or super-powered enemies in the later series. Characters use portals to jump from one trilogy to the other. I find the whole of it absolutely hilarious, just for the number of books and the shear size of the universe he created.

The mean thing: After each trilogy ends, it's re-released as a compilation with an extra epilogue that expands on how the different trilogies are related. That doesn't go on kindle unlimited. You need to buy the compliation or subscribe to the patreon to get it. I'm not really sure that's in the spirit of the kindle unlimited thing, but it works for the author I guess.

I just love staying in a universe over so many different books, even if they are mediocre in itself. Closest thing I found was some werewolf romance series going from one family, to the second family, to the university of shifters, and finally to the security company of the first family when nobody else was left to write about. But I'm not sure paranormal romance is the right thing for this thread.

I've run into a couple of that dudes books by accident at this point and frankly it's unsettling

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

You want to see unsettling check out the weird chud harem fantasy series.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

You want to see unsettling check out the weird chud harem fantasy series.

Oooh I know this one - Alpha World!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Victorkm posted:

Oooh I know this one - Alpha World!

lol, you think there's only one.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

the one I was thinking of posted:

When roving gangs destroy all semblance of law and order, and the strong take what they want from the weak, [Chaddeus Alpha McSpecOps] will find himself as the sole protector of an all girls' college...
Now, his only chance at survival is to show (a) group (of) female liberal arts snowflakes what a real man can do and turn all four of them into survival and combat experts.

:lol: that I had to correct two typos in the loving blurb

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, you think there's only one.

I definitely don't but it was the first one that sprang to mind.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thousand Li #6 is out.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

:lol: that I had to correct two typos in the loving blurb

I would happily read this if the dude's name was really Chaddeus Alpha

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cicero posted:

Thousand Li #6 is out.

I liked it- continuing the general trend of being okay, not amazing- but there are a tonne of editing errors.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

MonikaTSarn posted:

is it any good and what's the name of the series

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

I would happily read this if the dude's name was really Chaddeus Alpha

What about Titan Maximus Chadman, the seventh head of Alpha Cultivation sect?

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47667/alpha-cultivation

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

is it any good and what's the name of the series

It's a bunch of series by Julie Trettel.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14703924.Julie_Trettel

Westin Pack, Collier Pack, Arc Shifters, Westin Force.

This would be the first one on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/True-Mate-Westin-Pack-Book-ebook/dp/B071HXL3R2/

I wouldn't call them good, but they are all on Kindle unlimited, and there's a lot worse out there. I like that each book is a complete romance, but the characters reappear in the next books as friends / family. They are written in an alternating male / female viewpoint, but that seems the normal from what I've seen when branching out into normal romance novels ? Haven't read that much, just some relatively modern series from Kitty Kox that I really liked.

It's kind of repetetive in that each couple has an even more outrageous problem why they couldn't possible be together, but in the end it always works out. Hilarous, in that way, and characters often mention how they couldn't possible as stupid as the couple from the last book, and then they promptly are.

There's two similar series I found on Kindle Unlimited so far. First is Suzanne Wright with Phoenix Pack and Mercury Pack. Similar, just two small packs instead of two families.

And Safe Heaven wolves by Sherry Foster, if you want werewolf romance that's PG - women are only allowed to have sex when over 21, and the books always end before that. When shifting back to human, they man always come back with their underwear ! A bunch of books, then there's witches, and vampires, and aliens, and dragons ... It's all very stupid, and rather terribly written in some points. But the author is a nice grandma who names characters after all her relatives, and it's somehow lovely.

I'd love to read more, but can't find anything like it anymore, except free first books where the rest isn't on unlimited.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I liked it- continuing the general trend of being okay, not amazing- but there are a tonne of editing errors.
This isn’t actually an error but it initially looks like one and lol English is stupid

quote:

Of course, he had to make it his own, but that was a small matter since any imprint the item had had had been wiped before it was returned to the armory.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Cicero posted:

This isn’t actually an error but it initially looks like one and lol English is stupid

It's an editing error in the sense that any editor would shoot that sentence down so fast

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm not used to LGBTQ relationships being given the time of day in those sort of works, so that was pretty chill of the author.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

shirunei posted:

I'm not used to LGBTQ relationships being given the time of day in those sort of works, so that was pretty chill of the author.

Hmm. Nice to break with the extreme heteronormativity of the genre, sure. But looking at it through that lens, I'm not certain what to make of Yu Kun getting splattered across half a building. That's not just the most grotesquely OTT death anyone has ever received in the series, I think it might be the first death in the core group of characters full stop.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh, this is the thread for talking about Cradle? Wish I would have seen it sooner. I absolutely adore the series. One of my favorite running gags is that Lindon is terrible (or at least everyone else thinks he's terrible) at naming things. This shows up from at least Blackflame onward.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hmm. Nice to break with the extreme heteronormativity of the genre, sure. But looking at it through that lens, I'm not certain what to make of Yu Kun getting splattered across half a building. That's not just the most grotesquely OTT death anyone has ever received in the series, I think it might be the first death in the core group of characters full stop.
drat I wasn't finished owned myself with that click

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ah poo poo sorry :negative:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thousand Li #6 was very solid, and didn’t have as much in the way of boring parts as some entries in the series.

mastajake posted:

Oh, this is the thread for talking about Cradle? Wish I would have seen it sooner. I absolutely adore the series. One of my favorite running gags is that Lindon is terrible (or at least everyone else thinks he's terrible) at naming things. This shows up from at least Blackflame onward.
Hell yeah, Cradle’s the best.

Maybe he inherited his naming sensibilities from the Path of Black Flame.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I started reading Thousand Li #1 last night, but I got bored pretty quickly. Does it get better?

I recently read the oddly named Something (Full Murderhobo). I can't say it was exactly good, but it passed the time and the reason for the title was kinda interesting to me: All new mages get shoved in a portal which scans their magic type and sends them off to get trained. The protagonist has a rare magic type and ends up in a tutorial area where the previous learner mage somehow died and the scaling difficulty to encourage quick completion has been running unchecked for 100s of years. This means instead of killing 5 Rams to progress he is facing thousands of murder-rams which he has to grind for decades - and that's just the first area. By the end he is both insane and insanely "overleveled".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I started reading Thousand Li #1 last night, but I got bored pretty quickly. Does it get better?

Slooowly. I think the second trilogy was much better than the first overall, but it's a very gradual incline.

I feel like Tao Wong is maybe one of these authors who's worried that if they make their protagonists too interesting it won't be "realistic", or that they need to chew through a gruel of banalities in order to justify telling whatever story they actually want to tell. A lot of the early stuff feels like "Wu Ying is a perfectly average cultivator* doing perfectly average cultivation things" and you're like, sure, cool, why do I want to read this then?

(*Even though if you pay attention he's clearly in the top 5%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just couldn't keep up with it lol. Too boring. And my favorite genre of books is slow plodding ones with little to no plot. I like adventures on brad a little more, but frankly it's the same way. A stagnant, slow plot, combined with usually pretty stiff and lovely character stuff. If it was just one of the two I wouldn't care, but combined it's a loving snoozer if you ask me.