Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Everyone is an impostor so don't worry about that.

Usually there's little to no room for negotiation on an internal promotion because they know your current salary and they know your BATNA (not getting promoted and also probably being closed off from any future promotion at this company) really sucks. The offer should be a very significant increase over your current salary commensurate with the very significant increase in responsibilities. If it's not a great salary you can bank the experience and resume enhancement for ~18 months and then jump.

So unless the offer is a comical "WTF are they thinking" lowball I'd just accept it. But I would get a very clear picture of what is expected of me in terms of hours/availability/travel first and negotiate on those points if necessary. You don't want to get yourself into a "my pay just increased 20% but now I'll spend 70 hours a week on work instead of 45, whoops!" situation.

e: sorry, this isn't the negotiation thread so I shouldn't assume people know the acronyms. BATNA = Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement

I completely forgot there was a negotiation thread! :doh: Still, I appreciate the response a ton. It’s almost comforting to know that my current company is a dead end, because it gives me the motivation to keep pushing for something new no matter what happens.

If the offer comes through, I’ll ask about their expectations, then move forward from there. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

broken pixel posted:

There’s a possibility I may receive an offer from a company, which will involve a career shift and a pretty big pay and benefit increase. I’ve searched my area to try to figure out what I should expect, but there’s not a lot of results.

It’s my inclination to instantly accept whatever they offer, because barring a lowball offer, it’s going to be a positive move. I feel like a mildly risky pick for this role—that is, I have experience, but there’s a fair amount of people with more that they could pivot to. This would be my entry into something more stable. It also comes with unlimited PTO and, based on what I’ve seen so far, they actually mean it. Probably. I hope.

Should I attempt offer negotiation when I could be looking at a life-changing increase in salary? Even if I don’t like this job, it’ll give me a way to pivot into the field I want. My current role has no upward movement, constantly gets pushed around in restructuring, involves being managed by people I don’t respect, and has been blatantly ignored for salary increases (along with the rest of my team).

This is a lot of words to say “how did I get here, why do they want to pay me, I am clearly an imposter,” etc.
You should always negotiate. If for no other reason than the fact that people who are higher paid in the same role are seen as more competent than their lesser paid colleagues.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

always negotiate!!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Late response to both, but hey, thanks! I’ll keep looking into info. I didn’t hear back today, but that would’ve been relatively short notice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

My one quibble is this comment:

quote:

Any company that would rescind an offer or absolutely refuse to budge over $5K is not a company you want to be working for anyway.

Bolded part my emphasis. I think a company saying "Our offer is our best offer" is not a bad thing at all. Don't think a company that offers 110 and negotiates to 120 is better than a company that offer 125k but is firm.

However, always negotiate. In the above example, a good company will just give a polite "Our offer is firm". You lost nothing in asking whether or not the offer was the best or below market. If they rescind they've done you a favor either way.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I got something other than a rejection from Lockheed yesterday—an email asking me to fill out a conflict of interests form relating to my answer to the question of whether or not I’ve ever served in the military or as a government official, the answer for which was yes. The email also said my resume was “under review”.

Of course, never working in the corporate world before I have no idea what to expect from here. I’m aware that I may not even get an interview. But, it’s encouraging to have received some kind of less negative response than “Sorry, no.” So I’m crossing my fingers and I’m gonna see how far it takes me. If it takes me to an interview, awesome. If it doesn’t, or if I don’t get an offer, at least I’ll have a better idea of what the process looks like.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's not negative, that's a requirement of their federal contracts. You're not supposed to be able to, for example, go from a committee member approving a contract to serving as a high paid executive on that same contract. So this is a tiny step forward.

I can't tell you if that means someone actually put you on a good pile or if its just an automatic thing that happens to anyone who didn't become immediately disqualified.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

That's not negative, that's a requirement of their federal contracts. You're not supposed to be able to, for example, go from a committee member approving a contract to serving as a high paid executive on that same contract. So this is a tiny step forward.

I can't tell you if that means someone actually put you on a good pile or if its just an automatic thing that happens to anyone who didn't become immediately disqualified.

Oh I know it’s not negative, my point was more that I know where my expectations should be, but it’s still a better response than “no”. Someone I know at Lockheed could possibly tell me more about what this means beyond just not being outright rejected, if it does end up meaning anything beyond that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Heard from another company I applied for, basically the same day I applied. They want to schedule a tele-interview, so I’m going to try and get it scheduled before Thanksgiving.

I’m terrified because I was in the military for years and then spent almost a decade as a freelance photographer, so job interviews are foreign to me—this is not a thing in which I have experience.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

job interviews are foreign to me—this is not a thing in which I have experience.

Apologies for linking some annoying Youtube guy, but I think this playlist from The Companies Expert is full of good interview advice. fwiw I'm a manager currently in a hiring process

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4kDC0EWkeCnf8PBRk7XDPhrzmAxHLah

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

This Friday, I have a second and maybe final round job interview! It's at a local branch of a massive global ecological conservation nonprofit (think NRDC or the like). This is for a professional mid-career and non-managerial position, working on local issues I'm very familiar with. The interview is a remote panel interview over zoom, my interviewers are a program manager, a research scientist, and a fundraiser. My job will be public facing to people from community groups to politicians and businesses.

I'm currently an architectural designer and switching fields into a bigger picture communications and policy role, if that context helps.

What should I wear? I feel like I should know this, but it has been a long time since I interviewed for a job and my previous interviews were all in a somewhat different type of work environment. A suit seems a little over-the-top for what I feel is a more business casual place.

How should I prepare? The job is to run a specific initiative that has two major 100+ page documents dictating how it works. I'm obviously reading and taking notes on these, but how else should I prepare?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What should I wear? I feel like I should know this, but it has been a long time since I interviewed for a job and my previous interviews were all in a somewhat different type of work environment. A suit seems a little over-the-top for what I feel is a more business casual place.
Ask the person who will be leading the interview, if you can. Or someone else connected to the hiring process.

Many places with casual dress codes would still prefer a suit at the interview. And others would not like you to be that overdressed.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dirby posted:

Ask the person who will be leading the interview, if you can. Or someone else connected to the hiring process.

Many places with casual dress codes would still prefer a suit at the interview. And others would not like you to be that overdressed.
The best person to ask is the HR person coordinating the interview. Or the recruiter if you're going through a recruiter. Don't ask the hiring manager.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dik Hz posted:

The best person to ask is the HR person coordinating the interview. Or the recruiter if you're going through a recruiter. Don't ask the hiring manager.

The program coordinator, who is a team member on the small team I'd be joining, has set up the interviews. Still ok to ask?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cum jabbar posted:

Apologies for linking some annoying Youtube guy, but I think this playlist from The Companies Expert is full of good interview advice. fwiw I'm a manager currently in a hiring process

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4kDC0EWkeCnf8PBRk7XDPhrzmAxHLah

I watch the first two on the list and generally agree that this approach is a very good "starting from scratch" way to interview, particularly for phone interviews. Coming at it with the answer formulas suggested and the energy this guy is bringing (i.e. that he is actually excited to work there) is easily going to put you in the top half.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 17, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dirby posted:

This but I distinctly remember 50+% giving me a useless answer. If they dont give you a specific answer, wear a suit. For a more nuanced answer, be one level slightly nicer than what people wear in that job.

I think of the order as:
T Shirt and Jeans, Safety Uniform/PPE
Polo Shirt and Khakis. Shoes don't matter unless you need steel toes in which case, wear em.
Long Sleeve Button Up and Khakis. Casual leather shoes that match your belt.
Sport coat/blazer with button up over khakis. Match shoes/belt.
Suit. Match shoes/belt.

EDIT: I wrote this and didnt read you whole post. For this question:

Leon Sumbitches posted:

[...] massive global [...] professional mid-career [...] remote panel interview over zoom [...] My job will be public facing to people from community groups to politicians and businesses.

What should I wear?

You wear a suit. You don't need to ask but can it won't hurt.

EDIT2: And get a ring light. Theyre $15 on amazon and that poo poo makes you look like a youtube star while everyone else looks like a dumpster. I really can't stress enough how much value a $15 ring light can bring.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 17, 2021

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

This but I distinctly remember 50+% giving me a useless answer. If they dont give you a specific answer, wear a suit. For a more nuanced answer, be one level slightly nicer than what people wear in that job.

I think of the order as:
T Shirt and Jeans, Safety Uniform/PPE
Polo Shirt and Khakis. Shoes don't matter unless you need steel toes in which case, wear em.
Long Sleeve Button Up and Khakis. Casual leather shoes that match your belt.
Sport coat/blazer with button up over khakis. Match shoes/belt.
Suit. Match shoes/belt.

EDIT: I wrote this and didnt read you whole post. For this question:

You wear a suit. You don't need to ask but can it won't hurt.

EDIT2: And get a ring light. Theyre $15 on amazon and that poo poo makes you look like a youtube star while everyone else looks like a dumpster. I really can't stress enough how much value a $15 ring light can bring.

Great advice on the ring light, I'll make sure to grab one.

I'm nervous that a suit would ding me somehow. Both my father (non-profit management) and my cousin (non-profit social media) have told me that a suit is too much based on their experience.

For a sit-down video interview (no pants) is there a measurable difference between a blazer with a dress shirt and a tie vs. a suit with the same? Some of my unstructured blazers might be slightly less formal while still showing that I know how to dress to impress.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

For a sit-down video interview (no pants) is there a measurable difference between a blazer with a dress shirt and a tie vs. a suit with the same? Some of my unstructured blazers might be slightly less formal while still showing that I know how to dress to impress.

Either is fine, particularly because you seem to have some sense of how to dress yourself. This cannot be assumed with goons.

Also, it goes without saying but just in case: if your cock or labia are out during the interview they must be erect. I know thats a rule based on the same 1970s human factors measurements that said all offices should be 70°F for men's comfort, but interviews are not the time to defy office norms. No experience with labial erections though. :smith:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I scheduled my interview for Friday and even though it’s for a position where I’ll be turning wrenches on flying things, I’ll be defaulting to a suit and tie for sure, with a clean-shaven smooth head and manicured beard.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I scheduled my interview for Friday and even though it’s for a position where I’ll be turning wrenches on flying things, I’ll be defaulting to a suit and tie for sure, with a clean-shaven smooth head and manicured beard.

For Lockmart et al thats the industry standard. For a BFE, Georgia airstrip yea maybe not.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Non-profit interview strikes me as a "blazer and dress shirt" kind of situation. In my experience video interviews everywhere have a much lower threshold for dress code formality than in-person interviews, too.

Wear pants, of course.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I just skimmed some reviews for the company I’m interviewing at, and boy do I wish I’d done this a lot harder before accepting the interview. Either way I guess it’s practice, and whatever the case there’s no guarantee I’ll get an offer anyway. One of their questions will surely be, “Why’ve you been out of the industry for almost a decade?”

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I also just realized that even though the HR guy sent a Google Meet link, he wants me to call the telephone number and enter a PIN, so I am actually not sure if I'm supposed to join a video call or we are just using Google Meet to facilitate a telephone interview

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

I also just realized that even though the HR guy sent a Google Meet link, he wants me to call the telephone number and enter a PIN, so I am actually not sure if I'm supposed to join a video call or we are just using Google Meet to facilitate a telephone interview

He probably WANTS a video chat. But, if there's technical issues that prevent that from happening for whatever reason on either end, it's better to just chat over the phone than completely reschedule. Also, phones tend to sound better than the lovely mic on your webcam.

At least that's why I interview that way.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

blackmet posted:

He probably WANTS a video chat. But, if there's technical issues that prevent that from happening for whatever reason on either end, it's better to just chat over the phone than completely reschedule. Also, phones tend to sound better than the lovely mic on your webcam.

At least that's why I interview that way.

I just finished with the interview and I'm still not sure what they wanted. I dialed in but also went into the meeting room, he didn't have video on, and he switched off his phone when he realized I was on.

Anyhow, the interview itself was like ten minutes long and he basically asked about my experience, then seemed almost like he was thinking, well you were in the Army and you did this, so you're probably good. He asked like maybe one other question and then went into the company, the shifts, we talked about pay, and then he said he was going to draft an offer letter and the HR guy I dealt with would be in touch with me. After all the reviews I read on glassdoor, that may or may not happen, and I'm undecided on whether I'll take the job. I've never done a legit interview before so was expecting the typical questions, and I got none of those--he didn't even ask why I'd been out of the industry for almost a decade, so I'm not entirely sure if that clicked with him. I didn't mention it when we talked about my experience, I'm just assuming he's read my resume and was aware of that experience gap. I certainly don't want to show up to work my first day (if I take the job) and have them come up to me and go, "Hey, how come you didn't tell us you haven't done this in over nine years?"

Either way, I'm kind of vexed by the interview, it was almost too easy--it makes me wonder what I'm in for, when combined with the company's reviews from employees. Any insight into this? I imagine even if you're not in the aviation industry, I can't be the only one who has experienced an interview like this. I'm just not sure what to make of it, but I've also been told I overanalyze the gently caress out of things, so it's possible that's what I'm doing here. If that's the case, feel free to call me out on it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A perfunctory interview means either they decided not to offer you the job before it began, or that they decided to offer you the job before it began. I've seen it happen both ways. But my experience is that either way, it usually turns out to not be a very good company.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I had an interview like that once, but they at least actually asked me a coding question. I got an offer after one short chat with some developer named Sparky. This set off some alarm bells and after I looked at company reviews they all pretty much advised to run the other direction.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

A perfunctory interview means either they decided not to offer you the job before it began, or that they decided to offer you the job before it began. I've seen it happen both ways. But my experience is that either way, it usually turns out to not be a very good company.

Yeah the company's reviews are reflecting this. I'm having a hard time deciding if I'd take the job should the promised offer reach me and all other desires and needs per salary, benefits and work shifts/hours were met, mainly because I've seen some reviewers say it's a good way to gain some experience and isn't a long-term job prospect. It did kind of feel like they were going to offer me the job and just had to get the interview out of the way to make completely sure. He didn't ask about my credentials and licensing, nothing like that. It's like someone could just say they're an FAA-certified mechanic on their resume and get kind of far through the employment paperwork before anyone made them prove it, and that is worrisome at best. One review did say, "They hire any yahoo with an A&P cert."

a dingus posted:

after I looked at company reviews they all pretty much advised to run the other direction.

Same for this company. The management is spoken of a lot in the reviews, complained about, never praised, except for two customer service/ticket/gate agents who said their manager was amazing, and probably thus had the same manager. I try not to put too much stock into what a few people say about management because they could just be disgruntled and mad about something not going their way or being laid off or fired, but there were SO MANY reviews blasting management, especially the CEO, who many said has no idea how to run an airline and doesn't give a poo poo about his employees. Lots of people said it doesn't pay what you're worth, either.

Talking through it here, typing it out, is helping me make a decision before I even talk to my wife about it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yeah the company's reviews are reflecting this. I'm having a hard time deciding if I'd take the job should the promised offer reach me and all other desires and needs per salary, benefits and work shifts/hours were met, mainly because I've seen some reviewers say it's a good way to gain some experience and isn't a long-term job prospect. It did kind of feel like they were going to offer me the job and just had to get the interview out of the way to make completely sure. He didn't ask about my credentials and licensing, nothing like that. It's like someone could just say they're an FAA-certified mechanic on their resume and get kind of far through the employment paperwork before anyone made them prove it, and that is worrisome at best. One review did say, "They hire any yahoo with an A&P cert."

Same for this company. The management is spoken of a lot in the reviews, complained about, never praised, except for two customer service/ticket/gate agents who said their manager was amazing, and probably thus had the same manager. I try not to put too much stock into what a few people say about management because they could just be disgruntled and mad about something not going their way or being laid off or fired, but there were SO MANY reviews blasting management, especially the CEO, who many said has no idea how to run an airline and doesn't give a poo poo about his employees. Lots of people said it doesn't pay what you're worth, either.

Talking through it here, typing it out, is helping me make a decision before I even talk to my wife about it.

Its a BATNA if anything, use it to close other deals and hone your negotiating. Give them a price that makes you blush if you'd take it and deal with the BS if they paid enough.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

If you've never had to hire people before, you're probably vastly overestimating the percentage of applicants who can show up on time to an interview, look presentable, and accurately answer a question or two about their resumes.

What I'm trying to say is: a big part of the interview is just checking to make sure the candidate is a normal person, for whatever definition of normal is appropriate.

A perfunctory interview is still screening those things.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Had another interview for a job I would describe as a "dream job" and feeling like I didn't do well enough. I was feeling good while prepping with my partner, but then the questions came and I wasn't feeling a lot of enthusiasm on the other end. I can prep but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point to improve my job prospects. I'm super qualified for this one and know I would do an amazing job but kind of feel like I failed to communicate that. :sigh:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Had another interview for a job I would describe as a "dream job" and feeling like I didn't do well enough. I was feeling good while prepping with my partner, but then the questions came and I wasn't feeling a lot of enthusiasm on the other end. I can prep but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point to improve my job prospects. I'm super qualified for this one and know I would do an amazing job but kind of feel like I failed to communicate that. :sigh:

I could have written this post about the interview I just had.

It was a panel conversation over zoom and I had a really hard time engaging all panelists and couldn't really feel their enthusiasm. I think I did ok with questions, and ended enthusiastically, but got the impression they weren't feeling it. The questions were also quite challenging and I felt like I didn't have all the information since I'm not doing the job yet and don't know all details.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's important to always bear in mind that a good many postings are for jobs that aren't actually available, the company knows who they're hiring for that role but they have to make a pretense of fair hiring. Sometimes you'll get that flat effect from interviewers not because you suck, but because they know you won't be hired and they're just going through the motions.

The more obviously desirable the job is, probably the more true this gets.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 19, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel like that might be true if I just get some HR fucko asking me dumb interview questions, but when it's fairly high level people asking me real stuff about my experience and qualifications, it seems less likely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I feel like that might be true if I just get some HR fucko asking me dumb interview questions, but when it's fairly high level people asking me real stuff about my experience and qualifications, it seems less likely.

The same situation put another way is when they've already interviewed a great candidate. If you can only hire 1 person then the candidate might be doing great but not at the same level, as an interviewer this can be very obvious and it can be hard to stay engaged. It's not about doing XYZ in that situation, there's no difference between 2nd and last place. They could have started the process with one expectation but then the panel interview you now have a super high bar set by the previous candidate.

Even if I know a candidate is a miss I'll still go through a minimum set of questions to give them some experience and see if there's maybe a fit elsewhere. That's kinda rare though, and in general most managers don't find it worthwhile to keep good candidates that you don't have roles for in their back pockets.

Really all you can do is be engaging, prep, and make sure you are doing enough interviews to get the odds on your side.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently there's also a bias towards the first candidate interviewed on a given day, so the later in the day you are the harder you have to work to stand out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

As a hiring manager, I try to bring the same level of energy to every interview I do.

As an interviewee....interviewing with someone who's low energy is so loving hard, and I have yet to master the ability to get through them with a positive view. Sure, it's probably that they've already interviewed who they really want, but still.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
For those of you who have followed my story (demoted but can’t get new job due to bankruptcy)…

Another person in HR was just demoted from a manager, title to title manager (in HR world a Compensation Manager and Manager, Compensation mean two different things) and she asked me a question.

While interviewing, is there ANY harm in her saying she stepped down because the office was going to open back up again and they wanted everyone who manages people in the office again but she was not willing to do that?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

For those of you who have followed my story (demoted but can’t get new job due to bankruptcy)…

Another person in HR was just demoted from a manager, title to title manager (in HR world a Compensation Manager and Manager, Compensation mean two different things) and she asked me a question.

While interviewing, is there ANY harm in her saying she stepped down because the office was going to open back up again and they wanted everyone who manages people in the office again but she was not willing to do that?

Depends entirely on if you're interviewing with a remote-friendly company. Might say something more neutral like "the company was bringing everyone back onsite, but I've decided I'm remote from now on"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks to the advice in this thread I've got myself a provisional offer. Now to wait for the package on Monday and off to the Negotiations thread.