Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

tractor man posted:

Im making S&B curry because im a closeted weeb, has anyone tried it before?

Spaghetti & Bees?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Odd name for a curry

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I prefer mild bees in my curry

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

i think today's gonna be a good day for CHINESE FOOD. I know a place that does amazing chicken on a stick,

*me, outstretched arms in my bathrobe*

Please eat this in remembrance of me

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We had takeaway sushi for lunch that was also breakfast today. Nothing fancy, just the daily #1 (salmon nigiri, salmon/avocado maki). Dropped by one of two Iceland stores in Norway (UK cheap mostly-frozen chain that has an experimental expansion into Norway as an "exotic foreign food" thing) and bought a Christmas pudding.

We also have some chocolate cake left - I made a cheap from-a-bag chocolate cake and gave it a whipped chocolate ganache frosting (with rum and coffee). Rather nice, all in all.

On the downside I'm out of rum. I don't use a lot of liquor, so I've had a 750ml bottle of brown Cuban rum since last Christmas. Thinking about buying some cognac as my replacement dessert alcohol.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Aardvark! posted:

Spaghetti & Bees?

Sniper & Bow

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No I looked it up it apparently stands for "Squid and Beet" and frankly, YUM.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Computer viking posted:

We had takeaway sushi for lunch that was also breakfast today. Nothing fancy, just the daily #1 (salmon nigiri, salmon/avocado maki). Dropped by one of two Iceland stores in Norway (UK cheap mostly-frozen chain that has an experimental expansion into Norway as an "exotic foreign food" thing) and bought a Christmas pudding.

Norway has some freaky sushi . In Tromsø i once ate a sushi roll with waffles, whip cream and strawberries

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

tractor man posted:

Norway has some freaky sushi . In Tromsø i once ate a sushi roll with waffles, whip cream and strawberries

A 'sushi roll' made with waffles whip cream and strawberries is a crepe, mate.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

tractor man posted:

:yayclod:

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Big Beef City posted:

A 'sushi roll' made with waffles whip cream and strawberries is a crepe, mate.

Tell that to the norwegians

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Seen here a traditional Midwestern (US) sushi roll considered 'most fascinating'

it's black forest ham, cream cheese (sometimes with a little horseradish mixed in), and a pickle for our non-US participants and no it isn't referred to in any way as sushi it's just a lovely joke. They're ok though.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 20, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

Seen here a traditional Midwestern (US) sushi roll considered 'most fascinating'

Ahhh making me homesick a week before Thanksgiving. Bastard

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Big Beef City posted:

black forest ham

This is esoteric, illegal ham. I prefer normal non-evil ham

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

tractor man posted:

This is esoteric, illegal ham. I prefer normal non-evil ham

Does that also come out of a toothpaste tube?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Here's another Midwest appetizer I crave at least once a year.

I won't use it's real name because people go loving stupid and freak out when they hear it. But it's cold diced veggies and cheese on top of ZESTY cream cheese, with a rolled out can of crescent rolls for dough. It's a tasty appetizer vaguely in the realm of "crackers and cheese"

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 20, 2021

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Looks like the swedish dish smörgåstårta (sandwich cake)

E:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That is one that even as a STONE COLD WISCONSINITE I never got into.
That and old school Seven Layer Salad.

Even as a child of the 80's-90's that poo poo was just too bland for me and I was fine with the relish tray w/dill dip and ham rollups and pickles. That flat bread veggie pizza and seven layer salad I just couldn't buy into, man.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mestre da cracker

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

tractor man posted:

E:

How many people just scoop the seafood off the top and get scolded

I'd be going all egg and seafood and fresh cukes and tomats and then ditching.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

That is one that even as a STONE COLD WISCONSINITE I never got into.
That and old school Seven Layer Salad.

Even as a child of the 80's-90's that poo poo was just too bland for me and I was fine with the relish tray w/dill dip and ham rollups and pickles. That flat bread veggie pizza and seven layer salad I just couldn't buy into, man.

I think they can vary heavily, it's been decades since I ate one made by an actual Midwesterner, and I scrolled forever to find pics that looked like they would taste good. Soooo many that look like just straight cream cheese and shredded broccoli plus one veggie or something :chloe: it needs mushrooms and olives and good shredded cheese and a fuckload of dill in the cream cheese

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Scolded? That will get you kicked out of the function. Smörgåstårta is fancy food

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My favorite midwestern dish is a tuna casserole. Boiled egg noodles, two packs of tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen peas and/or corn tossed into a casserole dish with spices/seasoning and then smothered with shredded cheddar. Toss that bad boy in the oven til the cheese starts to brown.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Oh man I could go for a tuna noodle casserole so bad right now. Kind of insane considering how almost all my meals in the last 3 days were tuna salad sandwiches

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i could do with some hams and cheeses for my hungover rear end

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite midwestern dish is a tuna casserole. Boiled egg noodles, two packs of tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen peas and/or corn tossed into a casserole dish with spices/seasoning and then smothered with shredded cheddar. Toss that bad boy in the oven til the cheese starts to brown.

The pro tip is to make it with cream of celery, and add diced mushrooms yourself when you bake it.
Sauteed celery and diced onion too.
The flavor's a lot 'cleaner', and still just as 'rich' as the original slop bucket you expect.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

For a truly midwestern throwback and something I sometimes crave;

Salmon-loaf.

It's meatloaf, but with canned salmon! YUM

Two cans of canned, pink salmon.
Under running water, remove the skin and bone remnants as best you can and flake into a bowl.
Juice a lemon onto them.
Add two egg yolks (no whites)
Several dashes of tobasco
small pinch of sea salt
good load of fresh dill
Some mustard.
Some (maybe 4) finely crushed saltine crackers

Knead into paste.

Form into loaf and either free-form it on a foil lined pan or place into greased, foil lined bread pan.

Bake at 400 for as long as it takes.

Baste as it cooks with a tobasco/honey/mustard glaze until it has a sheen. Don't let it burn.

Serve with homemade tartar sauce and lemon wedges.

e: obviously parsley or whatever works too. See above.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 20, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tractor man posted:

Im making S&B curry because im a closeted weeb, has anyone tried it before?

Yeah, I make it at least once a month for dinner. It’s pretty good. If you add potatoes go easy otherwise they absorb all the sauce.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Yeah, I make it at least once a month for dinner. It’s pretty good. If you add potatoes go easy otherwise they absorb all the sauce.

Cooking it right now, i put one large potato the size of a medium sized potato. Praying it will be good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tractor man posted:

Cooking it right now, i put one large potato the size of a medium sized potato. Praying it will be good

Sending my thoughts and prayers for your curry.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tractor man posted:

Any protein or other veg? I like onions, potato, carrot, and a diced up chicken breast :yum:

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Any protein or other veg? I like onions, potato, carrot, and a diced up chicken breast :yum:

I dont eat meat so i put some onions, potato, carrots and mock pork (seitan) in. It was good! Next time ill go for some other kind of protein though

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

tractor man posted:

E:

When we make fun of the Swedes, this is the sort of thing we reference.
Not the food itself, we're self aware enough to not start that - but the word itself just sounds funny.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Excellent, I have noted this exchange in the record for permanence. According to statute 43b-11, section D, you may both have an extra portion of Smalahove anytime between now and Christmas, not including your regular allotment of Smalahove last Sunday before Christmas.

Would you believe I've only had smalahove once?

A friend of my sister's is from up northwest, so she had a few lightly flambeed sheep's heads in her freezer from last time she was home; apparently her father makes them. She invited us for dinner, and we brought along to Swedes my sister knows (Funcom employees, incidentally) without explaining what they were getting. They took it with admirable grace.

Also: It's surprisingly tasty - tender, slightly smoky lamb. The downside is obviously the presentation. I can sort of handle the eye, but the teeth are disturbing, and trying to cut a slice of tongue out of the mouth of an extremely dead lamb's head feels more like an autopsy than dinner.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Canned tuna is loving gross

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i posted pics of a swedish buffet i found on google in the unamericana thread. i wont crosspost them here so cocoa wont go up my rear end about plagiarism!!!!!!!

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Very good pictures aardvark! Awful buffet, all around

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the unamerica thread finally gives me somewhere to post the remaining google maps content i had nowhere good to post: foreign people doing foreign things, rather than foreign people doing american things, or pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what is on this burger? is that an enormous scallop? also is it even a burger?