Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Man it would genuinely rule if Gentle ended up being part of how Shigaraki gets taken down. We've seen that he can't manipulate air, which Gentle can, so why not?

e: also I would like Uraraka to contribute at least a little bit after her big speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Uraraka's final fight is against Toga probably.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheHan posted:

So there was no no point to this arc. Not even her game changing quirk stayed behind. Was another muscle lady sacrificed on the altar purely to give an excuse for why none of the other nations will be dropping by to lend a hand?

Near the end of the series, to raise the stakes even higher, Shigaraki will disintegrate an entire city. The city will be full of nothing but buff ladies. There will be 8 highly detailed pages of crowds of muscled women dissolving.

Brandfarlig posted:

MHA is also doing the classic mistake of introducing 30 characters and forgetting about 27 of them. Of course you can't give that much screen time to the entire class but why bother introducing another class if you can barely fit the first one in? At least Ochako is treated somewhat better than Sakura.

HxH is one of the few examples of this being done well, where there's a small core cast, but each arc will introduce a bunch of new characters (who have focus within that arc).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
remembering better times.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWrpYYAWp8

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brandfarlig posted:

Get hosed, random pilot. I know why they would be partial to Star but my rear end that that 4 chapter scrub surpassed All Might

Cool panels, little impact. Has someone offered Hori a job on a new star wars movie? Because he seems to be in a rush to make this series not matter at all.

How the hell isn't every siren going off at SJ? This is such a textbook fuckup.

I don't think WSJ editorial particularly cares about a bunch of Westerners complaining online

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is a huge problem with introducing a character literally just to job

what was the point

Horikoshi had a cool idea for a fight and so put it in. Except the fight sucked so oh well.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Interesting that people are just starting to notice problems because these are all long term issues that've been around for a while (pacing, inconsistency, predictably untouchable villain, etc.). I like Horikoshi but he still seems in his infancy as an author and not quite sure of himself yet. MHA lost me a while ago and I'm currently reading it out of boredom and obligation more than anything else (ala later Naruto and Bleach). Not expecting much from the rest of MHA, but hopefully Horikoshi gets a shot at another series later.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think WSJ editorial particularly cares about a bunch of Westerners complaining online

That seems to be a rather pedantic thing to focus - of course WSJ doesn't care about Westerners complaining online, they don't even read them.
Sometimes you just have to express discontent one way or another.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kaliedoscope posted:

That seems to be a rather pedantic thing to focus - of course WSJ doesn't care about Westerners complaining online, they don't even read them.
Sometimes you just have to express discontent one way or another.

I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't. I'm saying "why isn't WSJ stepping in and stopping this terrible story!!!" is because it literally does not matter to them unless it effects sales of MHA, which is largely up to whether or not the actual Japanese audience dislikes or even cares about all of this.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't. I'm saying "why isn't WSJ stepping in and stopping this terrible story!!!" is because it literally does not matter to them unless it effects sales of MHA, which is largely up to whether or not the actual Japanese audience dislikes or even cares about all of this.

I'm not expecting them to give a poo poo about my posting it's just that this series is speedrunning every mistake Naruto made and you'd think someone somewhere would learn. And come on, introducing Star just to blow her up is so obviously bad writing anyone should've caught it. It would've cost 5 chapters at most to make this work if it was planned better.

Amante posted:

Interesting that people are just starting to notice problems because these are all long term issues that've been around for a while (pacing, inconsistency, predictably untouchable villain, etc.). I like Horikoshi but he still seems in his infancy as an author and not quite sure of himself yet. MHA lost me a while ago and I'm currently reading it out of boredom and obligation more than anything else (ala later Naruto and Bleach). Not expecting much from the rest of MHA, but hopefully Horikoshi gets a shot at another series later.

Pacing and inconsistencies, sure. But it's only really since the raid that Shiggy has been boringly invincible and the fight at the end of the raid was pretty cool. Gran Torino should've died though and I don't tend to call for character deaths.

The main reason that I'm frustrated is that until recently the series was fairly consistently good with some exceptions. 1A v 1B wasn't fantastic and unless they show up at the end it was entirely superfluous.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 20, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder how accurate the Bakuman portrayal of Jump remains nearly a decade later. If it's at all still relevant then it's likely the Jump editors are happy to just sit by and watch Horikoshi work through his issues himself rather than step in and interfere (for better or worse).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's a comic creator, of course he has issues.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

He's a comic creator, of course he has issues.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah this feels like he’s just making stuff up on the fly right now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Every single arc since the end of the war feels like it's speedrunning whatever was supposed to happen in it despite most of the individual plot beats and even some moments being great

Gal Might's schtick is out of loving nowhere, but with any actual buildup, even it could work

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Jen X posted:

Every single arc since the end of the war feels like it's speedrunning whatever was supposed to happen in it despite most of the individual plot beats and even some moments being great

Gal Might's schtick is out of loving nowhere, but with any actual buildup, even it could work

One nameless pilot said she surpassed All Might so obviously the last chapter was better than UNITED STATES OF SMASH ....riiiiight?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Brandfarlig posted:

One nameless pilot said she surpassed All Might so obviously the last chapter was better than UNITED STATES OF SMASH ....riiiiight?

That pilot was also a close friend of hers that just watched her die in a heroic sacrifice, so he's probably a bit biased.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Amante posted:

it's been pretty bad since the classroom fight, which is also the arc where i think it was shown the author doesn't fully understand what is good about his work.

mha is great for simple, straightforward, grand dramatic and emotional moments. the fight choreography has genuinely never been something to write home about, but it's hard not to get invested watching midoriya say "gently caress off" to the warnings for the billionth time to punch someone way out of his league to save a little kid, or when all might is a shriveled husk remembering what heroism is all about for a last stand.

the story has never been strong around the metaphysics of quirks or anything like that, and we've seemingly decided this is the realm where the last leg of the story should focus. it's not written as well as hxh in this respect, so the story really shouldn't be plodding around here

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Rhonne posted:

That pilot was also a close friend of hers that just watched her die in a heroic sacrifice, so he's probably a bit biased.

Of course, but if my first response to that line is "oh gently caress off" the story has some problems.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

tbp posted:

it's not written as well as hxh in this respect, so the story really shouldn't be plodding around here

Whenever I see other shonen compared to hxh, I'm reminded of when a reporter commented to Joseph Heller that none of his later novels surpassed Catch-22, and Heller just responded "Who has?"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really have a problem with any of this. Shigaraki needed some of his quirks.xlsx file trimmed down, we needed a more concrete reason other than "PAPERWORK!!!" for the rest of the world not to just send in all their heroes to stop a member of the G8 from being sank into the ocean, and you did it in a pretty cool looking fight IMO.

If AFO/Shigaraki were going to become a country-threatening power you had to come up with a reason that the rest of the world just sits on their hands watching it or doesn't know about it since this is *a world* of superheroes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Imo, the better solution would have been to not make shigaraki a country/world threatening power in the first place.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yeah its a weird form of circular reasoning. "he had to write this arc in such a way to solve a problem from the prior arc that he also wrote". this sort of reading / understandings kinda common in shonen for some reason, like a proxy in one piece when talking about haki would be "well oda had to draw haki so logias dont break the story". maybe just don't write them like that in the first place?

a lot of complaining lately so i do have to reemphasize stars looked cool as hell and the whole fight was insanely well drawn imo. the nice part about saying gently caress it to the scale of the world is that we get moments like we did, the whole beam sequence was really sick

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One Piece at least has the reasoning of "I wrote this a decade ago when the scope of this story was so much smaller it's comical."

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
On the plus side, at least this arc isn't 20+ chapters of of Gal Might's backstory before writing her off at the end.

Some integration with the rest of the MHA cast would have been nice though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm still gonna bat for this manga cause outside of some wonky bits like the pretty pointless 1A vs 1B arc and how poorly thought out the Sports Festival was, this has been a great read. I was really enjoying the War arc and how well it was being delivered but it really feels that since then Hori hasn't had a clear idea of how to end the story, it's been too fragmented. Endless Quirkworks also hasn't really helped, I think Shiggy with Decay was really working for the story as he fought for his friends and became stronger that way, but now things are just a bit too messy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think MHA is a good manga that's just kind of coming apart a bit, but at least not catastrophically so.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's not Attack on Titan, but all Horikoshi needs for that is to not have Shigaraki genocide 80% of the world and Deku thank him for it. It's still bad tho

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tbp posted:

yeah its a weird form of circular reasoning. "he had to write this arc in such a way to solve a problem from the prior arc that he also wrote". this sort of reading / understandings kinda common in shonen for some reason, like a proxy in one piece when talking about haki would be "well oda had to draw haki so logias dont break the story". maybe just don't write them like that in the first place?

a lot of complaining lately so i do have to reemphasize stars looked cool as hell and the whole fight was insanely well drawn imo. the nice part about saying gently caress it to the scale of the world is that we get moments like we did, the whole beam sequence was really sick

Yeah its really annoying because if you reframe this character as someone we've 'known' for a few months/years in the comic then the entire emotional structure of the arc changes and instead of a shrug of the shoulders at the cool fight being ultimately meaningless we'd instead get the United States of Smash moment for Star where she punches Shigaraki with a concentrated death star laser.

You take away the emotional connection to All Might and the history and story behind him up to that point and United States of Smash is just a cool fight scene. Which is all we're getting in the manga now. Just cool fight scenes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even if she was just a movie character making an appearance in the manga, it'd be something.

Oh gently caress, someone check up on Melissa, see if she's okay.

E: I mean she technically is, but like an actual character.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
at least we got a top 3 tourney arc out this manga

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I like this series a lot, this set of chapters just has me checked out the same way A vs B did. The main difference is this set didn't even have any of the characters from the series I enjoy in it. Shigaraki is just not present at all, which is disappointing, but even if he were Hori really seems to want me to connect with Star here and I just can't. It's like the story writing equivalent of writing a check you can't afford to cash.

If I cared about Star at all then her melting into a horrific skeleton spectre inside All for One's quirk space would have been metal as hell. It still kind of was, but that was more carried by the art than anything Star did.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Crosspeice posted:

Endless Quirkworks also hasn't really helped, I think Shiggy with Decay was really working for the story as he fought for his friends and became stronger that way, but now things are just a bit too messy.

"Shigaraki figures out how to overcome his limits and makes Decay into a WMD" was a perfect final upgrade for him as a villain and giving him AfO and Perfect Cell regeneration just ruined it entirely and made him way less interesting.

I was really enjoying the parallels of both Deku and Shigaraki learning how necessary and valuable teamwork and depending on others was in their own ways, but sure let's throw all of that buildup out and undermine it entirely by making the protagonist and the antagonist both impossibly powerful demigods who cannot feasibly be touched or harmed by most mere mortals.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like the endgame being a country/world level thing was pretty cemented in from the word go. Like you can't really look at AFO vs All Might and not see that- those two dudes on their last legs flatten half a town.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

I feel like the endgame being a country/world level thing was pretty cemented in from the word go. Like you can't really look at AFO vs All Might and not see that- those two dudes on their last legs flatten half a town.

I mean yeah but the initial point of the story was specifically that both of those two giants were on their last legs, pale shadows of their former titanic selves that had effectively destroyed each other in their final shadow war and were running on fumes/spite, and that *this* story was all about their chosen successors building themselves up from pretty much nothing with wildly different mentors using wildly different teaching styles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

I mean yeah but the initial point of the story was specifically that both of those two giants were on their last legs, pale shadows of their former titanic selves that had effectively destroyed each other in their final shadow war and were running on fumes/spite, and that *this* story was all about their chosen successors building themselves up from pretty much nothing with wildly different mentors using wildly different teaching styles.

Yeah, but that’s what they’re capable of as those pale shadows. That’s the floor of what their successors are going to be capable of at their peak.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but that’s what they’re capable of as those pale shadows. That’s the floor of what their successors are going to be capable of at their peak.

right but i think the point is that deku and shigaraki didn't have to become demigods the way all might and afo did. they both were capable in their own rights with their own takes on their own powers, and the story also built up a really consistent theme of "the way all might did things was well intentioned, but ultimately had the fatal flaw of being dependent on him" which worked in tandem with deku's focus on working with his classmates. it is narratively a strange choice to yank deku away from cooperation with his friends the way it did, and even now that he's back with them it feels awkward in the sense that he's just so ludicrously beyond them in any capability sense that it goes beyond unwise into downright silly to have them even pretend to help him against aforaki.

similar on the villains end, too. now that this new combined version can withstand icbms, why the hell does he even care about the league of villains? what can feasibly pose even a tiny threat to him beyond deku? the compeltely cracked version of this body defeated a combination of the worst possible matchups when he first awoke, the suspension of disbelief gets really weird always in these shonens when the authors can't help but crank everything up to 11

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I guess my hot hero academia take is that Shigaraki isn't as interesting a villain as the series wants him to be and the evolution he took made him even less interesting. So it's really hard to care as much when every step of these past few arcs has basically been "This guy's quirk is really strong, it can break anything!" "Oh no, what if we do this to counteract it?" "He's gotten stronger!" "Let's do this!" "He's gotten stronger again!" And aside from that one time we learned his backstory none of it's really done anything to make him more of a character. My single favorite moment of his in this entire series was when the Overhaul arc ended and they showed up; that was great. Sure, the villain arc was cool but the shift to Big Villain was already there and everyone else, even Dabi, was more interesting than Shigaraki once that move happened.

Basically I wish the big fight between Deku and Shigaraki had ended conclusively instead of how it ended.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think it's a particularly hot take to think it sucks that since MVA has ended the general plot has been "Oh no Shigaraki is powering up and if we don't stop him in x days he will be unstoppable!!" to "Ok guess we stopped him but he escaped and now he's powering up again and in x day he will be unstoppable!!". And that this makes the main villain much less interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my first thought is that i wanted more school stuff, but reading back my posts in this thread, i was also going nuts around the 1A vs 1B arc because of how trifling the school stuff was in comparison to the MVA arc's heightened stakes, so i dunno

i think my main issue with the classroom fight is that it barely even had anything to do with hero work, aside from punching the other guys harder than they punch you. hardly anything since shigaraki's powerup has been about hero work, other than punching the bad guys harder than they punch you (note: you cannot punch this bad guy harder than he can punch you). i liked MHA best when midoriya had to weigh his every blow against his own well-being and shigaraki's only counter to the hero alliance's power was nibbling at the edges of their morale and good standing in society, but one of shounen jump's flagship series couldn't have gotten away with that forever. it all devolves to punching in the end