Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watched the first three with friends, one who read the series and two of us who are going in hot. Honestly for me it was ok and didn't catch on with me till three where we got The introduction of the Darkfiends and Thom, who had been giving off major Dante vibes his whole bit, promptly stinger'd her.

Also I am sorry but Rand was beginning to feel like Anikin before the show mercifully had him and Egwene go in two different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

robot roll call posted:

Aes Sedai are supposed to look ageless, not young. I think Rosamund Pike is pretty spot on casting for Moiraine.

I'm glad they're not even trying. How the hell do you make someone look "ageless"?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

CainFortea posted:

I'm glad they're not even trying. How the hell do you make someone look "ageless"?

All Aes Sedai are Keanu Reeves in drag.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainFortea posted:

Botox

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MajorBonnet posted:

All Aes Sedai are Keanu Reeves in drag.

:hmmyes:

But botox or whatever just makes them look younger. Which is not ageless.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CainFortea posted:

By casting Rosamund Pike.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Blast them with indirect lighting and only shoot the Aes Sedai with soft focus, maybe add some volumetric fog in the shot too.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

:hmmyes:

But botox or whatever just makes them look younger. Which is not ageless.

I think Botox makes people look weird as poo poo, not young, and is kind of perfect for that Aes Sedai uncanny valley effect.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

watched the first 3 episodes with my dad the other day. I think he said he hasn't read the books in a very long time so he didn't remember specific details but he was surprised by how, hmm, non-white people in Two Rivers were but he got over that. I asked him about Laila since it was obviously affecting Perrin but he didn't say anything, so I'm not sure if he just didn't want to tell me that she was new to the series or if he didn't remember.

As I mentioned forever ago in the thread, my only real connection to the setting is from the computer game so all I could think when watching was "huh, I guess the Trollocs are supposed to be wonky, Minotaur-like Orcs" and other than that I was enjoying my time. Dad didn't really offer up a lot of specific info for things but again I'm not sure if he just doesn't want to spoil things accidentally or if he just doesn't remember finer details. But at any rate I did like it, see no reason to not continue watching the first season but not too sure if it will change my thoughts towards reading the books, more because I'm not a big reader and the size of the books always kept me away when I was younger.

Only thing that really caught me by surprise was how bright everything was in the first episode, the colour saturation was a tad too vivid but I adjusted to it as the episodes went by.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

navyjack posted:

I think Botox makes people look weird as poo poo, not young, and is kind of perfect for that Aes Sedai uncanny valley effect.

Yeah it is even described in the books as a "tightening" effect on the skin.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Brandon Sanderson is writing his opinion on the episodes after watching them (2 so far) in the WoT subreddit. Talks about his suggestions that made it or didn’t after reading the script:

https://reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qxt9h5/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_one/

https://reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qy2r52/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_two/

He also answered some questions in the comments, so worth checking them out.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Production design seems a little cheap for the report d budget, but I guess everything now is expensive. My first reaction was that I was watching a new season of Hercules, Xena, etc. (Though Mandalorian also has some cheap sets). That said, know nothing of the books or most of the cast - I liked it, and am looking forward to this as much as Witcher or Expanse final season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eh. I feel that if I can go "hey, yea, she looks 40" then that's not an ageless look. That description is one of those things that can only work in a book. Also given how more agressive the white cloaks are now, having a face that someone can just go "oh yea she's Aes Sedai" would be bad and require A LOT more hoops to jump through.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I liked a lot of the writing and the dialogue was pretty good, but the acting was a little bit overdramatic in parts and the visual effects were just not that good. Given the amount of money that Amazon is spending on this show, I would have expected a little bit better in terms of cinematography and lighting, in addition to CG.

Pike was ok as moiraine but her delivery was a bit too cheesy IMO. Definitely felt like she was reading from a script rather than speaking earnestly. The few parts where she kind of broke character were really good though, like when she laughed at (I think) Matt's quip. Just not very charismatic overall.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My mom watched 1-3 and isn't a book read. She had high praise so far. She's a fan of the fact that there are tons of strong female leads.

So far 2/2 good reviews from my family who haven't read books and watched the show. I'm glad. I've been hyping the books up for 20 years now.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lexxyth posted:

Brandon Sanderson is writing his opinion on the episodes after watching them (2 so far) in the WoT subreddit. Talks about his suggestions that made it or didn’t after reading the script:

https://reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qxt9h5/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_one/

https://reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qy2r52/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_two/

There’s a 30 minute interview with Rafe (show runner) on a podcast that just came out Friday (think podcast is called The RingerVerse). It also has the guy who wrote the GQ article about the show. The two hosts have not read the books but have seen first 6 eps.

Worth listening to IMO and they ask Rafe specifically about Perrin’s wife and some of the theories floating around…and also about Survivor

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok having seen all three episodes

Wtf bela?!?!?!

Watch the X-ray stuff for the first episode. When Rand and Tam are walking down the road at the very beginning of the episode, it names Bela and says that there is a theory among fans that she's omnipotent and creator-like. Also, I don't think she died in Shadar Logoth, so they might find her later. They'd better, she's the best horse in the series.

Did anyone think Perrin and Egwene were saying Nynaeve's name differently when they were off on their own? Like, she said it Ny-neeve and he was saying Ny-nave? I know there's a correct pronunciation and I thought they'd catch that kind of stuff for the main characters, or at least be consistent.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

Eh. I feel that if I can go "hey, yea, she looks 40" then that's not an ageless look. That description is one of those things that can only work in a book. Also given how more agressive the white cloaks are now, having a face that someone can just go "oh yea she's Aes Sedai" would be bad and require A LOT more hoops to jump through.

the topic was brought up before release and basically they directly said it would be a lot of cgi money for something inconsequential in the grand scheme of things that would look like dogshit if it wasn't done perfectly for every single aes sedai all the time, of which there are plenty who are constantly relevant

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

seaborgium posted:

Watch the X-ray stuff for the first episode. When Rand and Tam are walking down the road at the very beginning of the episode, it names Bela and says that there is a theory among fans that she's omnipotent and creator-like. Also, I don't think she died in Shadar Logoth, so they might find her later. They'd better, she's the best horse in the series.

Did anyone think Perrin and Egwene were saying Nynaeve's name differently when they were off on their own? Like, she said it Ny-neeve and he was saying Ny-nave? I know there's a correct pronunciation and I thought they'd catch that kind of stuff for the main characters, or at least be consistent.

I think different editions of the glossary have different pronunciations of that name, so it is frequently mispronounced. I believe the -neev pronunciation is the correct one though.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Has there been ANY credible talk about why Barney Frank got replaced? In the modern world the first thing I thought was that he’d been MeToo’ed, but normally that is accompanied by a ritual flagellation of some kind and a distancing, but the only thing I’ve heard is “he was wonderful and he was brilliant as Mat but next year it’s Donal Finn too bad so sad.”

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nobody knows anything at this point but just from vague comments in relation to interview stuff maybe he was just more of a dickhead than they wanted to deal with, or something. or maybe he realized he was signing up for more than he wanted to get involved with. maybe personal matters were more important. i dunno.

people freaked out initially that maybe it meant the show was bad and he was jumping ship early but at this point we can probably be pretty confident it's not that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I saw something earlier today somewhere on Reddit that looked like a tweet from Harris about not being exactly happy he was working for Amazon. Not clear if it was fake or substantiated.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

navyjack posted:

Barney Frank

Now imagining Mat played by an eleven-term former congressman from Massachusetts and it's a trip.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Now imagining Mat played by an eleven-term former congressman from Massachusetts and it's a trip.

Oh god I’m brain poisoned. HARRIS!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rafe says the actor swap will be "seamless", so either Amazon is very adept at cloning humans or the script was written with a replacement in mind and they could play around certain book things resulting in the change of his appearance :shrug:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Rafe says the actor swap will be "seamless", so either Amazon is very adept at cloning humans or the script was written with a replacement in mind and they could play around certain book things resulting in the change of his appearance :shrug:

The two actors look a lot alike.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think it's important if they have made Egwene a Ta'veren, because I don't think they will make being 'ta'veren' something key in the show. At some point they will explain saying it means they are special persons in the Pattern, fated to important things, and that's it. All the comments of the coincidental things happening around them will be ignored.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This is the first live-action adaptation of a big series that I've read, and I'm so happy this show exists that I can barely put it into words. Been absolutely loving it between goosebumps, chills and forgetting to breath. I think I get the frenzy surrounding the LOTR movies now.

CainFortea posted:

The two actors look a lot alike.

I think US movies and shows have to mention it in-universe when they change an actor. I don't know much about it, the topic came up on The Dollop podcast. It may be a phased out rule. They mention it in the Matrix trilogy, but Black Sails and Spartacus ignored it. Will be interesting to see how they do it in WoT though.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 21, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not a book reader. Seems very cable tv quality not movie quality to me. Expected a little better. I will still watch this garbage.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A few bullet points:

- The theme song is the instrumental bridge from Separate Ways, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

- Also a hearty lol at the clip of the campfire reversing itself when Perrin is looking at it near the beginning of Ep.2. Did they not shoot more than 2 seconds of it and they had no better way to lengthen that shot?

- I want to pee on the head of whoever wrote “even the Trollocs won’t STEP FOOT behind that wall"

- Wool and sheepherder everything but there's not a sheep to be seen :wtf:

- Nynaeve whipping her braid out of the way after killing the Trolloc in Ep.3; is that their nod to braid-tugging? Sure felt like it and it seems like a good take on it (especially since her hair isn't really even one single braid like Egwene's is)

- Tam has this nugget of wisdom he gives to Rand like “All we have to do is decide what to do with the life that is given to us” like he was directly quoting Gandalf

- Similarly, Valda eating the bird felt like they were like "Ok so you know that Denethor tomato scene? You know what to do"

- That crossfade between Dana’s blood in the puddle and the line of trees on the cliff, WTF where did that poo poo come from lol, either you do lots of "clever"/"artsy" scene wipes or don't do any, don't just throw one in on a whim when you've established for three episodes that your wipes don't work like that

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Donnerberg posted:

I think US movies and shows have to mention it in-universe when they change an actor. I don't know much about it, the topic came up on The Dollop podcast. It may be a phased out rule. They mention it in the Matrix trilogy, but Black Sails and Spartacus ignored it. Will be interesting to see how they do it in WoT though.

I don't see why that would be a thing. The most recent example that comes to mind is Avasarala's husband getting recast for season 4 of The Expanse and there was no attempt to justify a different appearance in-fiction or anything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

I don't see why that would be a thing. The most recent example that comes to mind is Avasarala's husband getting recast for season 4 of The Expanse and there was no attempt to justify a different appearance in-fiction or anything.

It's also possible I misunderstood, and the case was decades ago. It was about an actor who had been screwed out of the credits for their role, but it may have been for one specific show where they retroactively claimed it had always been the new person in the role.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 21, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sweet geek swag posted:

I think different editions of the glossary have different pronunciations of that name, so it is frequently mispronounced. I believe the -neev pronunciation is the correct one though.

That's what I'm wondering about, Perrin and Egwene were pronouncing it differently. I don't actually care how they pronounce it, it was just odd that they would do so differently.

Hargrimm posted:

Soap operas do mention it from time to time when someone dies or is sick or gets recast, they just say "The part of this person is played by this person now". That's more so people know what's going on rather than any actual rule or law though.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Donnerberg posted:

It's also possible I misunderstood, and the case was decades ago. It was about an actor who had been screwed out of the credits for their role, but it may have been for one specific show where they retroactively claimed it had always been the new person in the role.

Are you talking about Crispin Glover in BTTF?

Kilson fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 21, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Kilson posted:

Are you taking about Crispin Glover in BTTF?

Yes, thank you, that was it!

wiki posted:

In Back to the Future Part II, Zemeckis reused brief footage of Glover that had been filmed for the first film. Glover was billed as "George McFly in footage from Back to the Future" in the closing credits. The older footage was combined with new footage of actor Jeffrey Weissman wearing a false chin, nose and cheekbones, and various obfuscating methods – in the background, wearing sunglasses, rear shot, upside down – to play George McFly. Because these methods suggested that Glover himself had performed for the film, he successfully sued the producers on the grounds that they had used his likeness without permission, as well as not having paid him for the reuse of the footage from the original film. He was awarded a reported $760,000, and as a result of this suit, clauses in the Screen Actors Guild collective bargaining agreements now state that producers and actors are not allowed to use such methods to reproduce the likeness of other actors, what is known as a Fake Shemp.
...and what BTTF did is not the same as recasting. I apologize for going off on a tangent.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I always kind of pictured the gleeman cloak as being actually sewn together patchwork of color, not just some drab coat with an inner lining of patches. That was kind of disappointing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Intruder posted:

I always kind of pictured the gleeman cloak as being actually sewn together patchwork of color, not just some drab coat with an inner lining of patches. That was kind of disappointing

So did I, but I also imagined Thom to be 20 years older so I figured I was just reading it wrong.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

lexxyth posted:

I don't know what to think about Brandon Sanderson. He writes a -lot-, and every once in awhile he writes a really good book (Way of Kings), but most of the rest is kind of poo poo. He's the fantasy book writer infinite monkey theorem.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mistborn Era 1 and Oathbringer are excellent too :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Withnail posted:

I don't know what to think about Brandon Sanderson. He writes a -lot-, and every once in awhile he writes a really good book (Way of Kings), but most of the rest is kind of poo poo. He's the fantasy book writer infinite monkey theorem.

I think he has a lot of good ideas and he's very good at creating hard magic systems, but his writing leans heavily young adult. While I think he did a decent job finishing the series, I still thought it wasn't at the same level as RJ. They've also never discussed who wrote what and I've always thought some of the issues I've had in the last books might be RJ's work that they didn't edit as heavily as they would've if RJ had lived.