Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Regarding the soda machines, my headcanon is that the Nahobino crawls under them to find relics, a technique he learned from the Yakuza 7 protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

KonvexKonkav posted:

The 3rd area's music is even better, if you can believe it.

I like how it changes dynamically when you fall into the lower level and then again towards the end, where the flying lion things are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I never realise how many absolutely plain-sight nutboys I miss until I buy the intel at the end of an area.

e: also the exploration would be a lot better if the frame rate wasn't chugging rear end and causing horrendous input lag

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I never realise how many absolutely plain-sight nutboys I miss until I buy the intel at the end of an area.

yeah half the time they're not even behind anything, I just walked right by like a dumbass

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Making them red was a real dick move towards colorblinds. My partner, who sees colors normally, has a much easier time spotting them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Every single fight I get I think “drat. Maybe this is the fight where I stop and grind”

I’m 18 fighting Nuwa, lost the first time figuring out what to not reflect into my face. Went and fused wind and lightning resist and some Agi, ready to get back in. Was doing very well before a +7 Zanma immediately ended my MC in a single move

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Every single fight I get I think “drat. Maybe this is the fight where I stop and grind”

I’m 18 fighting Nuwa, lost the first time figuring out what to not reflect into my face. Went and fused wind and lightning resist and some Agi, ready to get back in. Was doing very well before a +7 Zanma immediately ended my MC in a single move

Nuwa was the fight that got me to start spending a lot of my money on spyglasses and those consumable null-element items. She's pretty predictable but hits very hard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My clear save after the 4th ending is 56 hours. A lot was spent on cleaning up maps and farming a few gospels for the Superboss.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm at 35 hours and just started the 3rd area, but I couldn't tell you how much of that time was spent either dicking around on the map or vibin to the World of Shadows moon theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUimEV-knaY

That's the poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I'm at 35 hours and just started the 3rd area, but I couldn't tell you how much of that time was spent either dicking around on the map or vibin to the World of Shadows moon theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUimEV-knaY

That's the poo poo.

It is definitely up there with my favorite demon fusion songs

KonvexKonkav posted:

The 3rd area's music is even better, if you can believe it.

This is very true but it makes me wonder why, much like FFXII, they chose to make the first area a boring desert with boring music. First impressions are important, why hide away all the great, dynamic area music.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's current playtime and where are you in the game?

A little over 10 hours. I just beat the boss at Tokyo Tower and completed the Mermaid quest. I am stubbornly playing on Hard when I probably should not be doing so. I don't play for more than an hour at a time. This game is going to take me a thousand hours to beat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's current playtime and where are you in the game?

I'm about 22 hours in, on hard mode, and I'm near the end of the second area. I have definitely spent a few hours of that just going around and exploring, doing side quests, etc.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

If this is anyone else's thing, I'm happy for you. It's not mine. I've played two other JRPGs in my life with platforming, Xenogears and Final Fantasy XIII-2. In the former it led to one of the more infamously bad dungeons in JRPGs. But as much as I dislike Babel Tower, it's one dungeon. It's an hour and then you forget it. The jumping is similarly minor in XIII-2. I've replayed XG and XIII-2 multiple times because it's a negligible part of the games. That is obviously not the case here.

I will beat this game once because of course I enjoy the combat and music but also because I really want to see where the story goes. Also I want to try and get an ending. That is part of SMT's lure, you get the ending you want instead of it being totally linear. I think one reason IV made me so mad was I got the Law Ending which I never wanted or aimed for. It's the only SMT game where this happened. So if I can get the ending I want in this game, I think it will at least save the story for me

You're gonna have to do some serious zen meditation poo poo to get through the last section of part 3. I really hope they don't do anything like that again in part 4, it sucked so much rear end.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm just starting the third area and the environmental design is starting to get to me. It's not that the signposting is bad, which it is, but I can get behind some "it's trashed and you need to figure it out". The problem is that there are so few distinctive landmarks and models in the game that I think I've been to a place before I actually have. I absolutely got lost for twenty frustrating minutes in the car park in the second area, where I couldn't find the way out to the west because I 100% thought I'd already gone down that Path Fulla Wrecked Cars. If you're going to lean into this sort of aesthetic as a designer you absolutely need to help the player out--every real car park I go to has different colors or letters for different sections of a floor, you aren't going to Break The Immersion by putting a green stripe on one wall and a red on the other to help players differentiate where they've been and haven't been (because the map in this game, particularly when there's an Abscess you can't get to, is really poor).

I mostly like this game, but if a designers want to lean into open world like this, studying how to communicate with a player without overloading then with questions markers and compasses is really in order IMO. You don't have to go "HERE!” but you do have to give people something to latch onto to build the mental map in their heads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know if you are just looking for the main plot o find it incredibly hard to get lost

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

This is very true but it makes me wonder why, much like FFXII, they chose to make the first area a boring desert with boring music. First impressions are important, why hide away all the great, dynamic area music.

:dafuq: the first area has great music

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah the first area reminds me of Nocturne, I liked it a lot

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know if you are just looking for the main plot o find it incredibly hard to get lost

I disagree. I’ve played a good number of open world games and I played arena shooters and grid-based dungeon crawlers a lot before that. I don’t get lost in games much. This game is really hard for me to distinguish much of anything.

An example I just ran into: I’m in the third area and just had to do the “pick which overleveled demon you want” sidequest. I found the first one kind of by accident. Went and found the second. And when I teleported back to where I knew the first one was, I walked past the tunnel to get to him twice because the coloring of it melded in with the overpass ramp that was half-covering it. I knew he was there and I had been there before and my map had a marker besides, but the geometry made it really indistinct—I’m looking at a ton of gray and dark gray everywhere, the dev ought to be using that art budget to make things I’m going to care about not look like every other thing on the map.

For me, it’s making exploring feel samey and tiresome, especially when contrasted with how nice the second part of the second area looked. The first and third areas seem like mud.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The third area is confusing but that's clearly by design with the whole lower and upper gimmick. Didn't find any other parts of the game particularly hard to parse.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

1st area music isn't quite as catchy but makes up for it by being unsettling and therefore very fitting for your first steps into the dangerous netherworld.

Looks wise, I think all areas so far are pretty similar in quality. Atlus was clever in that they seem to have used the same assets for all of them, they've just put drastically different shaders on top. Minato might actually be my favorite though because the sand glittering in the sun is very pretty.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just defeated a certain big boss in the third area and was going onward when.... I had found some of those devices earlier and now I'm told they can weaken the next boss. First thought was "how does this effect the story, if at all?" But then I got to thinking "this mysterious assistant just came out of nowhere for no reason to help me beat the boss. What if by powering down the machines, I'm making the boss stronger." The Dacarabia did say I didn't have to go after all the machines, though....

I'm gonna do it anyway. YHVH help me.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are you guys using charge/concentrate on your MC?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

poe meater posted:

I had it on my MC for a while mid-ish game but ended up replacing it with a good passive. By endgame I had saved up like 10+ charge gems and started to use it again with those.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Found this set of theoretical endgame builds for Nahobino off reddit, wondering what some of the people who have gotten that far think of it.

Wondering if I've been undervaluing poison for damage on tough fights. I don't have Poisma available on my Nahobino though so I'd have to go slumming for an essence for it...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Poison damage procs every action so a boss that gets multiple turns gets hurt multiple times by it.

The damage seems to be based on level difference and at least one stat, because the lvl 99 goon squad in area 4 put some 700 damage poison on me when i was around lvl 75.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know which Abscesses in the 4th area gives the final demon and mc skill unlocks?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Found this set of theoretical endgame builds for Nahobino off reddit, wondering what some of the people who have gotten that far think of it.

Wondering if I've been undervaluing poison for damage on tough fights. I don't have Poisma available on my Nahobino though so I'd have to go slumming for an essence for it...

Don't know if I agree too much with the str one...Too many setup turns required for it.

Is what I used (except it's a bit old so replace great life spring with high almighty pleorma) and it was more than enough to chump every threat in the game. Don't really see the use for the regular phys stuff.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Just reached level 45 -

Hassou Tobi is insane and I love it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

poe meater posted:

I have it but I don’t use it much. Press turns feel too useful to get, I guess you could do something like charge > magatsuhi crits > heavy physical skill next turn

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should clarify I’m like level 19 lol

I loving love this game so far. It’s weird I think I’m not actively like, “having fun” but I’m just so into it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Donum Gladi/Magici are more useful I think. I want my heavy hitters hitting heavy not charging.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1462132856826871813

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PM Koshimizu is explaining some lore and I'm a little confused.

Ok so if The Creator took the The Throne after Baal, did He not create everything? Did he create the throne and then Baal sniped it when He wasn't omnipotently looking?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

PM Koshimizu is explaining some lore and I'm a little confused.

Ok so if The Creator took the The Throne after Baal, did He not create everything? Did he create the throne and then Baal sniped it when He wasn't omnipotently looking?

This came up in SMT4A too. The throne and all that existed long before YHVH. He just took it and called himself the supreme god of everything. He wasn't the original or the grand creator.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What a twerp.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Any tips for Matador on Hard? I'm trying to beat him at 22 with a physical Nahobino coupled with a few Force resistant demons like Feng Huang and using the Jaki Magutsuchi to null Red Capote, but not much success, once I almost got him but he got a few lucky crits and I also forgot to use a Dampener so Ame-no-Uzume got wrecked and gave him extra turns. I guess I could wait until 24 for Kikuri-hime to lol nope him but I want the satisfaction of beating him underlevelled.

Also wtf is wrong with Magutsuchi skills, all of them last 1 turn and range from "would be cool if it lasted longer" to "Jirae lol"... except Jaki which is a 3 turn max Debilitate that you can refresh with debuffs. Like, why is it 3 turn and not 1 turn like the rest?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Any tips for Matador on Hard? I'm trying to beat him at 22 with a physical Nahobino coupled with a few Force resistant demons like Feng Huang and using the Jaki Magutsuchi to null Red Capote, but not much success, once I almost got him but he got a few lucky crits and I also forgot to use a Dampener so Ame-no-Uzume got wrecked and gave him extra turns. I guess I could wait until 24 for Kikuri-hime to lol nope him but I want the satisfaction of beating him underlevelled.

Also wtf is wrong with Magutsuchi skills, all of them last 1 turn and range from "would be cool if it lasted longer" to "Jirae lol"... except Jaki which is a 3 turn max Debilitate that you can refresh with debuffs. Like, why is it 3 turn and not 1 turn like the rest?

I've found the Raptor skill, Accursed Poison (Chance of inflicting an ailment (stronger ailments prioritized) to all foes and lowers all stats by 1 rank for 3 turns) pretty handy. I just beat a boss who kept healing themselves when I got them near dead so this was my solution. I sealed up their magic good.

But yeah, Jaki owns. Always start a real fight with them. But lately I've been able to do the debuffing myself afterward and I like some of the other skills, namely the one above. It seems to always hit status ailments when I try it.

Which reminds me, I've never played a game where status ailments don't stack but replace one another. Earlier on I tried the awesome Sleep/Poison combo you might have seen in a Final Fantasy but no such luck here. At least...I don't think status ailments replaced one another in other Press Turn games... I can't recall for certain. Ain't no Bad Breath in SMT.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 20, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It's three turns because that's how debuffs work. The Fairy magatsuhi skill is similar, it's a three-turn max Luster Candy. You're using your Magatsuhi bar to, in most cases, cast Debilitate twice or cast Luster Candy twice. Which is still a really good use for it, it's just not unique - you could have someone else buff up your Attack stats/lower your foe's Defense stats while you save your bar for, like, Freikugel EX or Accursed Poison or whatever the cool kids do.

Most of the Omagatokis are for burst damage, I'd say - when you have everything set up so you can just go ham. I think the only exception (that's an actually potentially usable :v:) would be Hit, which you use when you really want a status to land, or Free, which... is still sort of burst but in a "let me squeeze out this one last drop" way rather than a "let's deal EVEN MORE damage and end this quicker" way.

NikkolasKing posted:

Which reminds me, I've never played a game where status ailments don't stack but replace one another. Earlier on I tried the awesome Sleep/Poison combo you might have seen in a Final Fantasy but no such luck here. At least...I don't think status ailments replaced one another in other Press Turn games... I can't recall for certain. Ain't no Bad Breath in SMT.

iirc Shin Megami Tensei IV(/Apocalypse) is unique in that it let status ailments stack; most games have any inflicted ailment replace any existing one. For a non-SMT example, Etrian Odyssey works in a similar fashion.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Nevermind, complaining on dead forums worked again. It was honestly fun and the reason I went on Hard, I had to plan around, constantly switch demons as they run out of MP/bring Rahkasha in, plan the dampeners and also use the drat gems instead of Zionga on your physical MC why are you so dumb that's why you ran out of MP. I did notice the developers were somewhat merciful, Matador usually goes for Mazan instead of Andalucia on Magutsuchi. Probably because nothing in his level range can survive a charged crit Andalucia but whatever.

In honestly a problem I'm having is my MC is probably my best damage dealer with Aramasa/the almighty early skill, but I tend to use them as a weakness striker/item monkey/refresh the debuff I lack the most so I feel like I should rework a bit my demons to let them shine. Also pls gimme the items on demons Miracle, I really want that.

And on Ailment talk, my big deal is that, despite knowing SMT is the one series where Ailments are real useful and them saving my life multiple times, I see the "this boss resists all ailments as inmune to some" and I'm like, yeah, not bothering unless it's like the Fire skill that inflicts mirage or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LiefKatano posted:

It's three turns because that's how debuffs work. The Fairy magatsuhi skill is similar, it's a three-turn max Luster Candy. You're using your Magatsuhi bar to, in most cases, cast Debilitate twice or cast Luster Candy twice. Which is still a really good use for it, it's just not unique - you could have someone else buff up your Attack stats/lower your foe's Defense stats while you save your bar for, like, Freikugel EX or Accursed Poison or whatever the cool kids do.

Most of the Omagatokis are for burst damage, I'd say - when you have everything set up so you can just go ham. I think the only exception (that's an actually potentially usable :v:) would be Hit, which you use when you really want a status to land, or Free, which... is still sort of burst but in a "let me squeeze out this one last drop" way rather than a "let's deal EVEN MORE damage and end this quicker" way.

iirc Shin Megami Tensei IV(/Apocalypse) is unique in that it let status ailments stack; most games have any inflicted ailment replace any existing one. For a non-SMT example, Etrian Odyssey works in a similar fashion.

There's the Elemental one which is a reward booster too!