Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Finkelstein is a Holocaust denier" is one of those things that you can throw out there and you won't get too much push-back, but its utter horseshit because the guy has explained endlessly about the effect the Holocaust had on his and his parents lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Finkelstein is cool and good. Israel, to the contrary

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there are a few politics related people called finkelstein and I can never remember which is which.

I think there is a daniel finkelstein who is a twat, but I vaguely have an association that norman finkelstein is the old frizzy haired guy who looks a bit like that guy off the chemistry youtube videos and he's like an old left kinda guy?

E: looked up norman and no it's not the guy I am thinking of. But daniel yes is a tory peer and journo, mega twat.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
I mean, he's frequently been called a holocaust denier and his career and life were basically destroyed because of it, so it's not like your partner invented it wholesale. It's just that you look into the people who made those smears and it's always ghouls like frequent Little Saint James visitor Alan Dershowitz.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah given alan dershowitz seems to be powered entirely by boners for israel and children I am disinclined to believe anything he says on the subject.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Finkelstein has some very odd ideas, including that Holocaust denial should be taught by Holocaust deniers so that students can learn how to pick apart their arguments, so it appears he has very different views about the amount of good faith that those sorts operate in to what I do, but afaict yeah he's never held those views personally.

And also yes the people he's constantly involved in 'controversy' with like Dershowitz aren't exactly short on bad ideas.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Finkelstein has a story about how his mother used to get anxious in queues at the supermarket and would try and push through, and he believed this was rooted in her experiences in trying to get food while at Auschwitz would have to push to the front or they wouldn't get fed.

Alan Dershowitz said this was proof that Finkelstein's mother was a kapo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Obligatory Finkelstein watch, making some horrible gobshite melt down with "the Holocaust is why I criticise Israel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivz06LZSWjY

Calling him a holocaust denier is honestly ludicrous, even with his weird extremist academic good-faith position

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are a few politics related people called finkelstein and I can never remember which is which.

I think there is a daniel finkelstein who is a twat, but I vaguely have an association that norman finkelstein is the old frizzy haired guy who looks a bit like that guy off the chemistry youtube videos and he's like an old left kinda guy?

E: looked up norman and no it's not the guy I am thinking of. But daniel yes is a tory peer and journo, mega twat.

Maybe you have him mixed up with comedian turned politician, Al Franken?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I think you might be thinking of Noam Chomsky

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe you have him mixed up with comedian turned politician, Al Franken?

No but I did think that al franken was black which is apparently not the case.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think you might be thinking of Noam Chomsky

No no it's not chomsky I know who chomsky is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Danny Finkelstein is a moron Guardian columnist IIRC (but I repeat myself)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Shock News!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

No no it's not chomsky I know who chomsky is.

My last guesses then: Karl Marx or Piers Corbyn ;)
What chemistry youtube vids did you mean?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My last guesses then: Karl Marx or Piers Corbyn ;)
What chemistry youtube vids did you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Poliakoff

This fella. Mostly because of his very good hair.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Finkelstein is cool and good. Israel, to the contrary

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Are you thinking of the Reverand Al Sharpton?

(This is just going to turn into this Penny Arcade strip.)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/02/04/linguaphiles-unite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Are you thinking of the Reverand Al Sharpton?

(This is just going to turn into this Penny Arcade strip.)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/02/04/linguaphiles-unite

Yes! Thankyou that was bugging me.

sitnalisa
Dec 16, 2004

stupid virgin

Jakabite posted:

Hey, that was me! It seems it’s mostly to do with platforming Holocaust deniers like Norman Finkelstein and key members like Chris Williamson defending the likes of Gilad Atzmon, a well known Holocaust denier. This is all pretty second hand to be honest but from the hands of people I really trust, and a lot of them.

Having played in two different bands with Gilad -one was a klezmer group and the other was salsa - I want to say that he is technically very capable and certainly the most selfish, insensitive and arrogant musician I have ever worked with. Just saying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is Keir Starmer failing to make headway despite Tory woes?

Can't imagine.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Has anyone ever actually said what bad stuff they thought Corbyn would have done to Jewish people once he was in power? Its so fun watching everyone get into the academic weeds over israel and zionism and historical claims while the Tories privatise the NHS, stamp all over LGBT rights and feel safe announcing that they'll drown migrants in the chanel.

At least a couple of people professed to claim literally Auschwitz.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Haven't seen a PA strip in years, and maaaaaaan their art style has gone to poo poo.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

That's a 16 year old strip...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Albinator posted:

up pops a smiling prince andrew

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mr Phillby posted:

Has anyone ever actually said what bad stuff they thought Corbyn would have done to Jewish people once he was in power? Its so fun watching everyone get into the academic weeds over israel and zionism and historical claims while the Tories privatise the NHS, stamp all over LGBT rights and feel safe announcing that they'll drown migrants in the chanel.

Didn't you know? He was going to open a new Auschwitz:

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1324399480469364736?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Albinator posted:

I know, was checking out their newer ones after that one.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

"the real test comes now" they say as they fail the test for the 40th time in as many days.

loving lol.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

I know, was checking out their newer ones after that one.

A few months ago I got nostalgic and decided to check out all the godawful webcomics I used to read daily back in the early 2000s, and see what had become of them. Obviously PA is still trundling on, but to my shock, literally every other one was too, the ones I could remember anyway. I guess they still have followings after all these years. By coincidence it happened to be Megatokyo’s 20th anniversary which probably made me feel older than anything else ever has.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Has anyone ever actually said what bad stuff they thought Corbyn would have done to Jewish people once he was in power?
The most common one I've managed to chase out of people is that it's not what he would do, so much as him being anti-Israel emboldens other people who will attack Jewish people.

Because if there's one thing we definitely know about racists, it's that they (a) need encouragement and (b) listen to Corbyn.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually Finkelstein is the name of the doctor, the monster's name is Adam Jeremy Corbyn.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We got rid of Jeremy Corbyn the Nazi, and we can't seem to figure out why labour Kenny isn't electable. Gee let's fire up some more anti corbynism and hope we can get a CON+20 down to a CON+19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be a real shame if there were a bunch of people desperately trying to diffuse blame for what israel does among all jewish people, like for example the israeli government and all the people who are obsessed with supporting the loving thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I mean his mistress was literally given one of the handful of seats at his funeral, whilst being studiously avoided by any cameramen. I don’t think it’s hard to work out what’s being kept secret. Unless he bunged a few extra quid to the Paris hitman

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/20/what-fresh-hell-must-philips-will-contain-to-make-the-royal-family-look-any-worse

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

I mean his mistress was literally given one of the handful of seats at his funeral, whilst being studiously avoided by any cameramen. I don’t think it’s hard to work out what’s being kept secret. Unless he bunged a few extra quid to the Paris hitman

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/20/what-fresh-hell-must-philips-will-contain-to-make-the-royal-family-look-any-worse

I've read that traditionally aristos would leave extremely generous amounts to trusted servants to be funneled to mistresses and illegitimate children to ensure the will wouldn't be challenged by them - not so much for fear of scandal but because acknowledging them in the will could lead to problems with the succession of titles and other privileges. Of course titles and privileges is how the actual monarchy have normally seen the bastards have been dealt with - at least a third of the House of Lords are there because some long-distant King couldn't keep it in his codpiece.

My guess is the real reason for keeping the will private is both that there's a chunk of money going to a bunch of people who in past times would have had the surname Fitzroy, but - and this is probably the actual main thing - they don't want anyone to know how big his actual estate was and what shenanigans he got up to to dodge inheritance tax. Even the Mail got pissed off about how much Hugh Grosvenor managed to duck out on and while Philip (probably) didn't have anything like as much to pass on as the old Duke of Westminster the last thing the monarchy, as an institution, wanted would have been a bunch of republican rabble-rousing going on especially as the clock is well and truly ticking on Brenda.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Unnecessary swipe at freemasons, sheesh

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It’s because at least three of the donkey sanctuaries are actually run by Cabinet ministers

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

A few months ago I got nostalgic and decided to check out all the godawful webcomics I used to read daily back in the early 2000s, and see what had become of them. Obviously PA is still trundling on, but to my shock, literally every other one was too, the ones I could remember anyway. I guess they still have followings after all these years. By coincidence it happened to be Megatokyo’s 20th anniversary which probably made me feel older than anything else ever has.

I'm glad that Achewood wrapped up just as it started to go downhill.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

What's telling is this bit of info from her wikipedia page

quote:

At her daughter's wedding in 2016, the Prince of Wales gave the bride away.

Her 'father' is still alive

And bonus unrelated tweet https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1462170018402160640

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 21, 2021

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm glad that Achewood wrapped up just as it started to go downhill.

aye, this

I was sad at the time when it dropped off but a few years of watching what happened to others proved it the right thing

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The most common one I've managed to chase out of people is that it's not what he would do, so much as him being anti-Israel emboldens other people who will attack Jewish people.

Because if there's one thing we definitely know about racists, it's that they (a) need encouragement and (b) listen to Corbyn.

Actually Finkelstein is the name of the doctor, the monster's name is Adam Jeremy Corbyn.

There are also antisemites on the left. The argument about Corbyn increasing AS is flawed but don’t pretend that AS is limited to the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

therattle posted:

don’t pretend that AS is limited to the right

100% this, and antisemitism on the left seems to be growing, especially in those who are getting sucked into covid and vaccine conspiracy bollocks. I guess right wingers are piling on a lot of other nonsense on the back of their covid propaganda.

I've had to disconnect from a few people who have recently gone down this route :(

e: In other news: [urlhttps://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1462387419559436296

https://twitter.com/secrettory12/status/1462339655932825600

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 21, 2021