Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Soul Dentist posted:

Can someone with knowledge of Greek roots tell me what "Ampoliros" is emulating? I can only see the in-book explanation from Orthodox sources and some grey fuzzy stuff about KJA that my mind won't obliterate fully

Not a classics or ancient Greek knower, but if you squint it could be some kind of Odyssey reference. You got the fact of some lost space exploration ship being embellished into a myth of time dilation-immortal folks on a tragic, doomed voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I love the implications of the reference itself but was wondering about the actual linguistic roots?

E: my best guess is like an ampoule or amphora full of music (from lyra or lyre). Maybe a container of song or Pandora's box? Funny answer: So an iPod

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really want to hear Hank Hill say Duncan Idaho

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

I keep seeing this website being mentioned, is this a new short form video thing that the kids are into now? is this the new vine TikTok

I think it's where you give rich celebrities money to record a video for you while they're taking a dump

Edited for typo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 19, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

I keep seeing this website being mentioned, is this a new short form video thing that the kids are into now? is this the new vine TikTok

It's gig work for famous people

Pay bobcat goldthwait $300 and he'll sing happy birthday for you, or whatever

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Jewmanji posted:

Does any other book series come close to having the quality of world building as Dune?

Yeah, check out the Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist. It’s fantasy, not Sci-fi, but the world-building is deep and subtle. Very high-quality writing. The three novels are Magician (split into two novels, usually), Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

kalel posted:

Yeah the entire cast of Star Trek Voyager are sunsetting their careers on there

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mobby_6kl posted:

I think it's where you give ruch celebrities money to record a video for you while they're taking a dump

I love how much disdain some of them have for it. Like Gilbert there doing it in his laundry room while his wife or whatever walks through the background. It’s very much gimme money for the absolute bare minimum of work.

Some of them try to make it worth it which is kind of :shobon: I don’t know if they set their own prices or if the app does it based on requests or something.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Someone do dick in a box remix to hand in a box thank you

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

TK-42-1 posted:

I love how much disdain some of them have for it. Like Gilbert there doing it in his laundry room while his wife or whatever walks through the background. It’s very much gimme money for the absolute bare minimum of work.

Some of them try to make it worth it which is kind of :shobon: I don’t know if they set their own prices or if the app does it based on requests or something.

They set their own prices, and it's a fascinating look at how celebrities value their own fame. The most successful celebrities on the site are b-listers that set a reasonable price for these customized short videos. No matter how famous you are, very few people want to drop a grand on something like this, but tons of people are happy to shell out $150-200 for Kevin from the Office to say something personal and stupid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's kind of weird that people haven't heard of cameo the first one I saw was like four years ago where someone paid a friend's favorite retired NFL player to talk poo poo on their fantasy team.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Nothing beats the one where sean astin is asking some woman to consider breaking up with her fiance shes about to marry and get back with the previous dude who paid for said cameo. So cringey and awkward.

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 19, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Stanky Bean posted:

Nothing beats the one where sean astin is asking some woman to consider breaking up with her fiance shes about to marry and get back with the previous dude who paid for said cameo. So cringey and awkward.

in a certain sense i respect the ones who never turn down a request. stone cold steely eyed paper stackers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

in Samwise voice: that wedding ring looks like a burden, master groom. Perhaps i can...share the load

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The vast majority of them are pointless but a family member was going to be given a writing award by Jonathan Frakes but the event got cancelled due to covid. We had him do a message on cameo presenting them the award and he did a great job making it heartfelt and added some personal padding. Would I ever pay to have Riker say something in any other circumstance? No, but in this specific scenario it was cool to have the option.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Really thought I was in this thread when I saw this post

Cartoon Man posted:

and a diet coke please.

:ibadpop:

Bless the maker and his guac, bless the coming and going of him, may his passing cleanse the colon.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

*hums Toto music with mouth full of carne asada*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
even the Emperor's finest need to take a break sometimes. it was pointed out that the armor has a dart thrower/maula built into the wrist plate.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love the NFL but those arena pads are pretty cool

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's easy to get around when you have two little Guild Navigators living on your shoulders

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Can’t not see the monster logo

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
God created Taurine to train the faithful.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it is by the juice of monster my thoughts acquire speed, my lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I did feel the Sardukar armour could have been a bit more impressive. The Atredies stuff looked loving awesome. Sardukar seemed a bit plain and spacesuit-y in comparison.

Maybe that's what it's meant to look like, mind, it's been ages since I've read the book. And they sounded awesome and moved in cool ways so I'm not really complaining.

Shots of them gliding down silently were awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the silent landing and the subsequent Fremen Ambush are amazing.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

currently watching the Spicediver edit of 1984 Dune... it's p good actually

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
A couple times in the cinema I noticed there was a really good use of silence. And it says something that no one in the cinema made a sound when it was going on.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be in-world silent, or if they just cut the audio for dramatic effect.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I watched DUNC for the second time last night at home with the subtitles on. I noticed a lot of things I had missed, including the cone of silence Mohaim orders while talking to the Baron.

But also if any of you have only watched this at home, get your rear end to an IMAX before it leaves. It's an entirely different experience.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it is by the juice of monster my thoughts acquire speed, my kidneys acquire stones, the stones become a warning

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are Guild Navigators all men

Or is there a female navigator with boobs that have mutated into fins

Don’t kink shame

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kiimo posted:

in Samwise voice: that wedding ring looks like a burden, master groom. Perhaps i can...share the load

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is the Lynch version of a guild navigator supposed to resemble a fetus?

I think it should. Just make the umbilical cord something pumping spice.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I definitely read 'pumping' as 'pumpkin' on multiple rereads. Might be a little grosser but not much

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if SNL did a sketch where it's dune except the the spice is pumpkin spice

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Roblo posted:

I did feel the Sardukar armour could have been a bit more impressive. The Atredies stuff looked loving awesome. Sardukar seemed a bit plain and spacesuit-y in comparison.

Maybe that's what it's meant to look like, mind, it's been ages since I've read the book. And they sounded awesome and moved in cool ways so I'm not really complaining.

Shots of them gliding down silently were awesome.

Saw DUNC, loved it, think it’s a great adaptation that captures the original work, but I still maintain my criticism of a lot of the costumes and such being too banal and generic. The Sarduakar have that same “Motorcycle helmet with paintball gear” look that all “future armor” has had since 2000.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

There's something that would be too long and boring to watch for sure

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

the worm is Lorne Michaels

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004