Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

The Iron Rose posted:

datadog is very expensive because they charge you twice - once for data ingress, once for querying spans and retaining traces. lots of pain points, I'd rather use Honeycomb or even prom/grafana/elk in a heartbeat (no pun intended).

My biggest issue is that datadog is already in use by one business unit who loves it and unless I can easily replace all their dashboards it doesn't make sense to look at another saas monitoring app. Also originally they were ok with moving away from datadog and over the past year their resistance has gotten stronger as we failed to migrate their dashboards and alerts. I also can't say "well the guy who was supposed to do this spent all his time babying your team through kubernetes and helm" and suck it up so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Are they miserable because of your boss/friend or just due to the overall environment?

Both, unfortunately. My friend could be doing a much better job. He doesn't really have the soft skills, and neither does his boss. They don't think they're important. I had hoped that maybe he had learned their importance over the years and gotten better, but no such luck and it's not like he's being mentored under his current boss. It's a bad situation. I thought I could come in and help but I am finding out that it's probably not worth my time. We have an in person team gathering before the end of the year, but I imagine come the new year I might be looking for a new job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Goons, my CISO has just ordered me to apply a NSG to a resource group. I have tried to explain to her what a resource group is and why the thing she is asking me doesn't quite fit, but she has decided to turn off her teams mid conversation.

I have thought about not being petty and just look at the objects in the resource group and look to change out their NSG's, but there are quite a few vnets/subnets associated to things and this is obviously going to break some stuff.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I had an in person event with (half) the team today! Absolute blast, lots of fun, totally reminded me how much I appreciate working on a team full of good people who give a poo poo.

If only inflation wasn’t 6.2% :(

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Given the light of certain other recent production outages it seems reasonable to not do the work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Goons, my CISO has just ordered me to apply a NSG to a resource group. I have tried to explain to her what a resource group is and why the thing she is asking me doesn't quite fit, but she has decided to turn off her teams mid conversation.

I have thought about not being petty and just look at the objects in the resource group and look to change out their NSG's, but there are quite a few vnets/subnets associated to things and this is obviously going to break some stuff.

I....what.....

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I....what.....

Yes. This is the exact reaction anyone should have if given the same orders.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inner Light posted:

Aren’t Fridays the best days for potentially breaking updates? Or Mondays? I personally hate weekend deployments even if everything goes OK…

I cut over our internet from 150mbs fiber to a gig with a new isp. Nothing broke or at least nobody complained. Tested the new sip connection and moved our vpn and azure tunnels over

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

not deploying on fridays means you're not confident in your release process, cowards

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We’re launching 3 new products in December. Fml.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

He doesn't really have the soft skills, and neither does his boss. They don't think they're important.

loving nerds. I don’t know why, but poo poo like this pisses me off so much. I mean, at the end of the day we are all humans working with other humans and trying to make it through life together.

Ignoring the fact that humans are social creatures is to make life difficult for everyone involved, including yourself. Just take the time to learn how to interact with people. gently caress.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It can be that they're just awkward people you know

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
IT in essence is a soft science. It's learning to work with tools designed by people to be used by other people. Knowing how to work with people should go hand in hand with understanding how and why one came about doing IT in the first place

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

scott zoloft posted:

It's learning to work with tools designed by people to be used by other people.

What? Clearly you’ve never used jira, Salesforce, slack, teams, gsuite, somethingawful forums are more intuitive that these products.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

loving nerds. I don’t know why, but poo poo like this pisses me off so much. I mean, at the end of the day we are all humans working with other humans and trying to make it through life together.

Ignoring the fact that humans are social creatures is to make life difficult for everyone involved, including yourself. Just take the time to learn how to interact with people. gently caress.

It drives me mad. Even if you're a sociopath, just know that you have to learn how to people to fix a lot of problems. And then there's the whole toxic masculinity / machismo aspect of thinking soft things are unmanly. It's just a really frustrating industry at times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

What? Clearly you’ve never used jira, Salesforce, slack, teams, gsuite, somethingawful forums are more intuitive that these products.

Shhh I don't want Atlassian to buy the forums

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Shhh I don't want Atlassian to buy the forums

$10 gets you three posts in any thread!

only $3,500 per year for every additional 50 posts

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

when's jeffrey gonna start his ico on the forums?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

IT in essence is a soft science. It's learning to work with tools designed by people to be used by other people. Knowing how to work with people should go hand in hand with understanding how and why one came about doing IT in the first place

I came about doing IT because I couldn't afford to finish my computer science degree to become a developer.

I have gotten negative feedback about my people skills at my most recent job. Coincidentally, this is the first job where I regularly have to call out people on other teams for not doing their jobs and tell them no when they try to get me to do it for them. Thankfully I somehow managed to avoid getting in trouble for telling the director of one team "That's par for the course" when he said he couldn't get hold of anybody from his team after hours when there was an emergency and his on-call wasn't answering. The fact the exact same thing had happened the previous day may have been a mitigating factor.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 20, 2021

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It can be that they're just awkward people you know

Of course it’s because they’re just awkward people. It certainly isn’t because they are done diabolical villain out to spread evil across the land.

But as a leader of people they don’t get to say “eh, learning how to interact with people is a waste of time”. If that’s going to be their attitude then they have no business being in a leadership position.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Managing people is a skill set like any other. Some people can learn it easily, some will struggle, but it's not a magical power that some have and some don't. That notwithstanding, I have never worked someplace where they made any training or mentoring in leadership readily available. The universal assumption seems to be that you get technical skills from training and people skills by magic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In my job HR sends links to leadership courses in Linkedin Learning.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Conference leadership sessions can be good, unless it turns into a circle-jerk. Luckily I hit a good one recently that discussed The Ideal Team Player and got a lot out of it. It was more like a small workshop though with only about 15 people in the session

Managing people sucks rear end tho when you actually have to do it. I have one person on my team trying to get another member fired via HR. They're both good workers, just a looot of personal drama between the two.

I tell my people, Please don't make me do my job. I would much rather be working on cool tech stuff that enables you than goddam Personnel Files

CloFan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 20, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On the subject of people skills despite being old, tired, burned-out and generally traumatized I've been working hard to be social with my coworkers. I have to constantly roam the building to handle requests so I'm creating opportunities to engage with folks, all day every day. We had a team-building day this week and although these normally fill me with dread I kept an open mind, participated, and later the CEO and the organizer thanked me for the good questions I asked.

From the moment I was hired this has been my viewpoint: do not miss what might be a chance at a genuinely good job. It doesn't matter that you're old, tired, burned-out and generally traumatized; you have to set all of that aside in favor of doing whatever you can to make the most of this opportunity.

So far, so good.

EDIT: For the first time since the early 2000s I am actually going to personalize my workspace. Going to get some art to put on the walls.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 20, 2021

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That's awesome Dick Trauma, congrats.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
That’s so heartwarming to hear!

However I’m still in camp “death to stickers on laptops”.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nothing but work goes on work laptops. If HR wants to hand out stickers, or management buys dumpster fire stickers to commemorate a particularly lovely launch, sure. Otherwise it stays looking 100% stock.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I am joining the IT world next month! I have worked for ISP's for 19 years, from customer support to product engineering. I just accepted a position managing a team that does internal application support for a large privately owned company. They are a company that has been on Forbes top 100 places to work for for many years. I'm so loving excited.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We lease our equipment, so every few years we have to pay to replace the exterior on a dozen laptops before sending them back because people put stickers on them. Also, doesn't a lawyer with big stupid stickers on their computer look unprofessional? I can't imagine going into a meeting with a Fortune 50 client with crap on my computer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When I worked in physical security I had a Sparrows sticker on my laptop. But that's actually somewhat relevant and it gave me something to talk about with the red team guys so

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Happiness Commando posted:

Nothing but work goes on work laptops. If HR wants to hand out stickers, or management buys dumpster fire stickers to commemorate a particularly lovely launch, sure. Otherwise it stays looking 100% stock.

Mine stays stock but I do use a utility knife blade to get the Intel and Windows stickers off the palmrest

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Iron Rose posted:

That’s so heartwarming to hear!

However I’m still in camp “death to stickers on laptops”.

I keep it to myself because I am aware I am a grump but the "stickers on work laptop" thing drives me nuts. You are 40 years old. Stop putting loving Spider-Man stickers on your Thinkpad.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I happen to like stickered up laptops. It’s one more conversation starter when you’re all sitting around a conference table. “Oh, you ski at Brundage? ““Me too! “ “I also like <band name> but I don’t care for <brewery>.’

The more obscure the sticker reference the better since the person is begging to be asked about it. It certainly beats sitting around talking about the weather.

And who cares if they put a Spider-Man sticker on their laptop? I could care less if you went out and put a Huggies diapers sticker on it. And whatever the reason for it, it’s bound to be a peculiar story.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 21, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I put stickers on my laptops because i'm running out of other things to put my avalanche rescue dog support stickers on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, individuality in the workplace is not acceptable. Step in line, drone.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I like stickers on laptops because it makes them easier to tell apart when everyone has the same few devices.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As someone who has to remove all those stickers when a user leaves so we can give it out again gently caress y’all.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The EUC guys always get annoyed scraping off stickers so I wouldn't add one to make their life a little easier.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I like stickers on laptops because it makes them easier to tell apart when everyone has the same few devices.

Everyone at work, and indeed most of SV, all have 15/16" MBPs. Sure, after a while I can tell mine apart from others by scuff marks but it's just easier to slap a couple stickers on it to tell it apart. The company hands out stickers to newhires but everyone just covers the Apple with the company logo so even that makes em hard to tell apart. It's a fun way to personalize and yeah it sparks conversations - I've had a few around "wait why do you have a giant pawprint" and then I get to tell them about the best doggos

I'm about to come up on a hardware refresh so I'm stockpiling new stickers in anticipation

GreenNight posted:

As someone who has to remove all those stickers when a user leaves so we can give it out again gently caress y’all.

cry more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I love stickers on laptops and my org hands them out