Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Every time we (25m,26f) go out to eat she orders something “exotic” and hates it then expects to switch meals with me. She sees this as “quirky,” I’m about to leave her it’s so frustrating. What are some solutions?

quote:

Edit: we are engaged and live together, we also share credit cards and bank accounts

Maybe I’m making too a big out of this, maybe it is a big problem and why I’m posting here.

This has been going on since we’ve dated In college. I’ll use last night as an example. I’m always “safe order guy” meaning I get chicken tenders, steak, a burger, orange chicken etc… it’s not that I dislike other food, it’s that if I’m doing something crazy I want to buy It, prepare it, coke and serve it…be in control of the whole process.

She always orders the special, the catch of the day, the tasters menu, etc… and she invariably says “I don’t really like this, I should have just ordered what you got…let’s switch.” And she grabs my plate, sometimes I’m able to eat her food, sometimes it really is bad and then I go hungry. I’ve brought this up with her and she has up front told me she thinks it makes her “quirky and fun” and I’ve known this since dating her.

Last night we went to a sports bar after our league beach volley ball game and we’re starving. I just wanted food so I ordered chicken tenders and fries. This dingey SPORTS BAR was having a “snow crab special” which of course she wanted. I begged her to please just order something they couldn’t mess up and she accused me of being so “boring.” Food came, she crab legs looked, smelled and tasted like they were rotting wax and of course she didn’t want it and wanted my tenders. I finally stood up for myself and said no, she could send them back and order her own food.

Cue massive fight. She accused me of wasting food, of not cooperating with her and not “reading the room” whatever the meant . I told her that no I was not doing it this time. She started crying And demanded to go home. I said no I was so hungry I was eating my food. I think she got an Uber to a friends house and i have not seen her since.

I’m fed up. Is this breakup worthy and what should I do about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Food swapper lady is an idiot.

Dump her into a cat of snow crabs

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Woodchip posted:

Every time we (25m,26f) go out to eat she orders something “exotic” and hates it then expects to switch meals with me. She sees this as “quirky,” I’m about to leave her it’s so frustrating. What are some solutions?

Just break up.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mx. posted:

AITA for accidentally revealing my sister's promiscuous past to her Christian Boyfriend?

Ah yes, sexually active at 14, no chance that was scarring or traumatic and led to a hosed up sense of sexual boundaries.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Ah yes, sexually active at 14, no chance that was scarring or traumatic and led to a hosed up sense of sexual boundaries.
Certainly according to carry on then!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mx. posted:

AITA for accidentally revealing my sister's promiscuous past to her Christian Boyfriend?

quote:

I then told him she was anything BUT a virgin and all the times i heard her having sex in her room. I told him a lot more tgan was necessary, actually.
"Accidentally"

You're an rear end in a top hat but your sister is stupid for deciding to reinvent her past and not even tell you to keep it on the down low. Also, there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't have an issue with her past if she was open (not like, on the first date).

:lol: if this dude was gonna wait till marriage to have sex though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Certainly according to carry on then!

I never said this and I resent the accusation that I did.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My(36F) husband (40M) wants to send our kids to a private boarding school in UK, and I want them to stay here.

quote:

We're living in Northern California, and both of us work in tech jobs so we were able to afford our kids private education here in the US. They will start to high-school next year and my husband wants to send them to a boarding school in UK, and make sure that they also go to a college there.

I love my kids, and obviously my husband loves it too but he is less emotional than me. I want my kids to stay here, and be close to me all the time. He wants to send our kids to UK because of homelessness problem, decreasing education quality, violent protests, and political tension here in the California/US. Even though I'm more liberal than him, I agree with him on these issues and understand his worries but I also want to spend more time with my kids and see them grow up. Also I believe that current issues will be gone in a few years so it will not be a problem.

We have two kids, a girl and a boy. One of them wants to go because it's a different country, and other one is worried because she will be away from us. My husband is saying that I'm not being rational but too emotional by making decisions based on my feelings. I don't agree with him, because we will never have kids again and I will never have a chance to see them grow up. We fought yesterday, after he told me to stop being a helicopter parent and let them learn the life by experiencing it. I just love my kids too much, and he just wants to send them to an another country. Yes, maybe the education, social rights, retirement etc. may be easier for them in the UK, but still they will grow up without us alone there.

I have talked with my friends and family about this topic, some of them told me to send them and some of them told me to not send them. I'm in doubt for weeks/months, and don't know what to do. I feel like if I don't agree to send them to the UK, our relationship will be very difficult in the future.

What should I do ?

perfectly rational

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Dad isn't really paying close attention to UK news is he.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Dad refusing to send kids to Frying Pan U, insisting on attendance at Fire College.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

she thinks that "homelessness problem, decreasing education quality, violent protests, and political tension here in the California/US" are things that "will be gone in a few years so it will not be a problem" so she's about as realistic

e: about politics, I mean. She's definitely right that her kids won't want to see her ever again if she goes through with that

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 21, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I've been living here in Northern California for my whole life, and my husband is living here for 20 years or so. The homelesness problem is becoming so bad that so many people are scared to go outside during at night. We've visited UK multiple times, and UK isn't perfect, but it's so much better than the US. We've never felt unsafe during night in London or any other city in UK, but let's say in San Francisco you can't imagine the things we're seeing at night.

lol

Big HOA energy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

My(36F) husband (40M) wants to send our kids to a private boarding school in UK, and I want them to stay here.

perfectly rational

lady, the only concerns your husband has about California's social rights is that there are too darn many of them

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I saw a homeless person begging on every single street corner in places like Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield when I was in the UK so it’s pretty bad over there too I think

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mx. posted:

perfectly rational

HAhaha this stupid silicon valley / Bay Aryan moron thinks poor people and politics don't exist in harrypotter land.

UK folks, please report in. Have you ever felt unsafe, and what was your proximity to upper class high falutin british people during those times?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The fact rational family doesn’t understand tourism is not an accurate reflection of the country you visit is hilarious

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I saw a homeless person begging on every single street corner in places like Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield when I was in the UK so it’s pretty bad over there too I think

their whimsical accents make them sound like Dickens characters so they're not scary like in San Francisco!

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

The only things that made me feel unsafe in the Bay Area were tech folks and landlords (the Venn diagram is a nearly flat circle.)

I hope her kids grow up to be cooler, smarter and way further left. Alas.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mx. posted:

perfectly rational

*beep* *boop* LIFE PARTNER YOU ARE DISPLAYING IRRATIONAL EMOTIONS *click* *whirrr*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mx. posted:

perfectly rational

someone actually wrote a good reply about how poorly though out this whole thing is that should convince even the terminally techbrained

quote:

OP. Apart from the really blindingly obvious fact that living full time at school is a very different and lonely proposition to being on holiday for a month, staying with your family in a nice hotel, age 13/14 is a terrible time to change schools as far as the UK is concerned. You've done so little research you haven't noticed that the education systems are totally different in the UK compared to the US. You would be sending your child to a new school in a new country, straight into the exam syllabus that UK kids have been working towards their entire school lives: kids start the GCSE syllabus at 14 and sit their GCSE exams at 15/16. Your child would have to arrive having already picked their GCSE subjects while not knowing a single thing about the UK education system - and it doesn't compare. Do a little research and you'll find that a 13/14 year old in the UK has progressed further academically than the comparable age in the US - so your child will be dropped right to the bottom of the class, set wise. If they don't pass their GCSEs well, their A Level choices will be limited. This will affect their choice of university - you have to have excellent grades at both GCSE and A Level AND a great application to get into the best (Russell group) universities here. Add to that the cost: the really good private (public) schools (for example, St Paul's, or Wycombe Abbey, NOT Eton or Marlborough) here cost c£40k/yr AFTER TAX, and that's before 'add ons'. So in todays rate that's about $54k/yr basic fees, per child. And your kids won't get any tax breaks or scholarships or bursaries because of being overseas students. And that's if they can even get in. The really good schools have selective, exam-based entry - that means academic achievement - and often have waiting lists. It's only the 'posh' schools - eg Eton - where you can get in with lots of money but be as thick as two short bricks. FFS send them to a good high school in Cali, then give them the option of university in the UK when they're 18 - if they are still interested/academically able. Then they'll need to apply a year before they want to attend.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

someone actually wrote a good reply about how poorly though out this whole thing is that should convince even the terminally techbrained

Straight to that from the US where even going from state to state and changing schools means you can be ahead or behind and you have no idea which until you get there LOL! That's incredible

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Mormon Nailer posted:

The only things that made me feel unsafe in the Bay Area were tech folks and landlords (the Venn diagram is a nearly flat circle.)

I hope her kids grow up to be cooler, smarter and way further left. Alas.

UK boarding schools are horrorshows of cyclical abuse that turn kids into little Boris Johnsons and Nigel Farages, so I don't think there's much hope of that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

UK boarding schools are horrorshows of cyclical abuse that turn kids into little Boris Johnsons and Nigel Farages, so I don't think there's much hope of that.

oh yeah, bullying in those british boarding schools can be really bad, and when home is across the ocean, there's no refuge. i doubt that robo dad would be very empathetic to pleas to come home either

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You made up at least one of those city names.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

response: I am smart, therefore my children are smart, which means they will have no difficulty whatsoever. and there is exactly enough money in the budget to spend $54k per kid per year and not a dollar more, which is fine, because someone on the internet told me that it would cost $54k per year. thank you for confirming that my plan is foolproof.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

tbf, you really don't see the kind of poverty and homelessness you see in the us in other first world countries. homeless people are everywhere, but to see places that have it demonstrably worse, you need to start traveling to the kinds of countries where things like taking out a kidnapping insurance policy is something to consider

*yes you have the roma in europe, but that's a topic all it's own

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Batterypowered7 posted:

One of them is a parish.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mx. posted:

perfectly rational

I hate both of these people, the only way this turns out okay is for the kids to be adopted by maybe a nice aunt or something and OP + her husband get launched to Mars on a Bezos Rocket

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I hate both of these people, the only way this turns out okay is for the kids to be adopted by maybe a nice aunt or something and OP + her husband get launched to Mars on a Bezos Rocket

I'd read this Neil Gaiman children's book

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

mind the walrus posted:

I'd read this Neil Gaiman children's book

This is the alternate ending for Coraline isn't it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lookit this poster who wasn't forced to learn about Shakespeare.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kimbo305 posted:

Lookit this poster who wasn't forced to learn about Shakespeare.

More made up names!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My dad's from Wylem-upon-Tyne, which from the name I imagine as looking like something from Wind in the Willows. Given it's next to Newcastle the reality is that it probably looked like the chimney-sweep scene of Mary Poppins.

The soot, not the accents.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Guildenstern Mother posted:

For the record this person is probably way less hosed up than her weirdo husband who mentions virginity to strangers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

My dad's from Wylem-upon-Tyne, which from the name I imagine as looking like something from Wind in the Willows. Given it's next to Newcastle the reality is that it probably looked like the chimney-sweep scene of Mary Poppins.

I got this for my friend: https://marvellousmaps.com/shop/stgs-great-british-place-names-map
It's not just place names, but even down to the street level.
The best one he found was Cock Cum Lane, so there, I spoiled it for you.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for taking away my daughter's thanksgiving present because she refused to eat what my wife cooked?

quote:

Hello.

I'm (40s) a father of 2 kids (son 14 and daughter 16). I recently got married to my wife Molly who is a great cook and she has been cooking for me and the kids in the past few months. However my daughter doesn't like all the meals Molly cooks and sometimes cooks her own dinners. Molly as a result would get hurt thinking her food isn't good enough. She confined in me about how much it bothers her to see my daughter decline her food and cook by herself. I've talked to my daughter to address the issue and she said she appreciates Molly's cooking but naturally can not be expected to eat everything she cooks. I asked her to be more considerate and try to take a few bites here and there whenever Molly cooks to avoid conflict since she's very sensitive. my daughter just noded and I thought that was the end of it.

Last night I got home from a dinner meeting with few co workers and found Molly arguing with my daughter. I asked what's going on and Molly told me my daughter said no to dinner she cooked and went into the kitchen to prepare her own dinner as if Molly's food was less then. I asked my daughter to come out the kitchen and please sit at the table and eat at least some of her stepmom cooked but she refused saying she's old enough not to eat food she doesn't like and pretend to like it just like I wanted her to, to appease her stepmom. I told her she was acting rude and had her turn the oven off and told her no cooking for her tonight and asked her to go to her room to think about this encounter then come back to talk but she started arguing that is when I punished her by taking away her thanksgiving gift that her mom left with me (we both paid for it) and she started crying saying it was too much and that she didn't understand why she was being punished. Again, I asked her to go to her room to cool off but she called my inlaws (her uncle and aunt) who picked a huge argument with me over the phone saying my daughter is old enough to cook her own meals and my wife should get over herself and stop picking on my daughter but Molly explained she just wants to make sure my daughter eats well and that she cares otherwise it wouldn't hurt so bad. My inlaws told me to back out of the punishment but in my opinion this was more than an issue about dinner and I refused to let them intervene and hung up.

My daughter has been completely silent and refuses to come downstairs.

To clarify the gift which is an Iphone was supposed to be for my daughter's birthday 2 months ago but due to circumstances we couldn't celebrate nor have time to get her a gift so her mom wanted her to have it on thanksgiving.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for taking away my daughter's thanksgiving present because she refused to eat what my wife cooked?

Wow he left out Molly's age I wonder how he managed to forget to mention that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gonna want to hear what Molly and the daughter respectively make where Molly's concerned about the daughter eating well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Danaru posted:

Wow he left out Molly's age I wonder how he managed to forget to mention that

kimbo305 posted:

Gonna want to hear what Molly and the daughter respectively make where Molly's concerned about the daughter eating well.

Yeah this is 50/50 "Molly and my daughter were in the same high school at the same time" or "Molly won't stop making something that my daughter is technically allergic to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Evil Willow posted:

To clarify the gift which is an Iphone was supposed to be for my daughter's birthday 2 months ago but due to circumstances we couldn't celebrate nor have time to get her a gift so her mom wanted her to have it on thanksgiving.

That doesn't clarify anything, it just makes it more confusing! I'm pretty sure it makes withholding the present even more of an rear end in a top hat move, though.