Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I prefer to not put stickers on my laptops, even personal ones

I do however have multiple stickered up water bottles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I prefer pins. When they come out with Laptop pins, call me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I put magnets on my laptop

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The three most common shell materials aren’t magnetic

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

The three most common shell materials aren’t magnetic

Your face isn’t magnetic

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Do y'all also have led case lights and race car beds

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I have super hero pajamas. Does that count?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Do y'all also have led case lights and race car beds

I sleep in a big bed with my wife

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:emptyquote:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Same. I’m also in the big bed with your wife.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

Same. I’m also in the big bed with your wife.

And me, smoochums. And me.

You're gonna have to decide between us and Clam Down though. Sorry.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

We broke up months ago. I’m with dick trauma now. Dude found a job he likes finally!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CloFan posted:

So y'all don't browse SA from your work PCs?

I got an exception to the web filter added because of "this secret forum full of IT professionals with exceptional abilities and excellent advice that masquerades as a comedy forum."

Anywho, I was off on Friday and I'm off all week.
Already blown off a half dozen different calls and a stand-up meeting.

Debating on whether or not I want to check my email on Tuesday to see if they figured out how to keep this month's security patches from breaking our AAD app connections. I gave explicit advice on the problem, tasked someone with keeping on top of it and checking to see M$ updates on the KB. When I reminded him on Thursday that he really needs to make sure it's mitigated before the maintenance window because I will not be there to save their asses, his jaw hit the floor. Microsoft already released an out of band update to fix it like 2 days after the problem was identified, but I'm honestly sick of babysitting him at this point so gently caress it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i know this ain't the desk thread but I loving LOVE my https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/l-shaped-smartdesk it's loving so easy to keep clean and i can see everything and the cable holes are just loving perfect in their location.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got the same desk at home, it's great but also huuuge. I had the autonomous chair and didn't care for it, but their standing desks are very good for the price

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CloFan posted:

I've got the same desk at home, it's great but also huuuge. I had the autonomous chair and didn't care for it, but their standing desks are very good for the price

yeah i'm not a big fan of the chair, my herman miller was better but this desk is just great, so much room for activities.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I need to go invent a durable tear-off film that can be applied to any laptop lid. Apply film before issuing. Tear film off when laptop comes back, and stickers come with it. What's that? Nobody with decision-making power will pay for it when people to scrape stickers off are already paid for? FML anyway.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I need to go invent a durable tear-off film that can be applied to any laptop lid. Apply film before issuing. Tear film off when laptop comes back, and stickers come with it. What's that? Nobody with decision-making power will pay for it when people to scrape stickers off are already paid for? FML anyway.

You can buy stuff that acts like a whiteboard for your laptop. That’s the only acceptable sticker allowed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

new startup idea: fork pi-hole, rebrand it, sell subscription as enterprise content blocking

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It’s called OpenDNS and Cisco sells it as part of Umbrella.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

The Fool posted:

I prefer to not put stickers on my laptops, even personal ones

I do however have multiple stickered up water bottles

I keep personal devices forever. My 2010 Alienware M11x (v1, with a Core2Duo) runs Win10 like a champ off an SSD. It's my print server.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Vinyl wraps already exist.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Agrikk posted:

Brundage?

Sun Valley

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

new startup idea: fork pi-hole, rebrand it, sell subscription as enterprise content blocking

Nextdns.io?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

Vinyl wraps already exist.

Basically this. I'd rather have a custom vinyl wrap than a bunch of stickers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean if companies want to make stickers easy to peel off they can just put vinyl on the laptop and peel that off. Some companies actually do this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Whatever that film is that comes on laptops and electronics already surely can be bought and reapplied

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I keep personal devices forever. My 2010 Alienware M11x (v1, with a Core2Duo) runs Win10 like a champ off an SSD. It's my print server.

Why is <any server> in your house not a VM? Also if you're gonna run a Windows infrastructure why are you not running Windows Server?

I'm guessing you live in a place where power is cheap and you have lots of space in your house for random devices laying around, cause otherwise keeping old devices costs more than it's worth.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Why is <any server> in your house not a VM? Also if you're gonna run a Windows infrastructure why are you not running Windows Server?

I'm guessing you live in a place where power is cheap and you have lots of space in your house for random devices laying around, cause otherwise keeping old devices costs more than it's worth.

"Print server" is a very generous interpretation. It's more accurate to say it's a very overpowered wifi adapter for my 15 year old Brother laser printer that I use twice a year.

It lives in my basement.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Print server" is a very generous interpretation. It's more accurate to say it's a very overpowered wifi adapter for my 15 year old Brother laser printer that I use twice a year.

It lives in my basement.

I would murder a cute animal of some sort for a basement. gently caress California for deciding they were too expensive.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

George H.W. oval office posted:

Whatever that film is that comes on laptops and electronics already surely can be bought and reapplied

It is easier to settle the vim vs nano debate than try and reapply that film

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sepist posted:

It is easier to settle the vim vs nano debate than try and reapply that film

But that's an easy debate, emacs is better than both! There, solved.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I would murder a cute animal of some sort for a basement. gently caress California for deciding they were too expensive.

Confirmed: Basements are awesome. It definitely lets me indulge the cable-hoarding impulse. Sure, I'll PROBABLY never need the cable for a Tapwave Zodiac again, but I MIGHT.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

apparently horse dick cleaners only get $30 per horse and it generally takes an hour so i'm stuck in this IT life forever. I was sure horse dick cleaners made bank.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

rip my backup career

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

jaegerx posted:

apparently horse dick cleaners only get $30 per horse and it generally takes an hour so i'm stuck in this IT life forever. I was sure horse dick cleaners made bank.

Where did you learn this? Read up on it via Wikipedia after you mentioned it just so I could figure it out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Where did you learn this? Read up on it via Wikipedia after you mentioned it just so I could figure it out.

It was either that or sweeping leaves for a side gig, and we all know where landscaping will take you....

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Inner Light posted:

I was riding a horse

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

jaegerx posted:

still makes more then me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

GreenNight posted:

As someone who has to remove all those stickers when a user leaves so we can give it out again gently caress y’all.

Get a clear sticker about the same size as the laptop, when they return the laptop you can just peel off the one clear sticker, and even return it to the person to put on their next machine.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Printable-Vinyl-Sticker-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B084ZGMNBQ/