Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's kind of interesting that Mel's mom appears to have been supporting Zaun from the shadows all along specifically to provoke Jayce into developing Hextech weaponry. The mention of her accelerating the timeline due to being recently threatened by an even more powerful actor in world politics suggests she's been at it for quite a while too. I kind of got the impression that Mel was somewhat aware of the plan, but more in a "Manipulate Jayce into making weapons eventually, then sell those to foreign nations."-kind of way.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Slashrat posted:

It's kind of interesting that Mel's mom appears to have been supporting Zaun from the shadows all along specifically to provoke Zayne into developing Hextech weaponry. The mention of her accelerating the timeline due to being recently threatened by an even more powerful actor in world politics suggests she's been at it for quite a while too. I kind of got the impression that Mel was somewhat aware of the plan, but more in a "Manipulate Zayne into making weapons eventually, then sell those to foreign nations."-kind of way.

it's definitely Swain, right? They didn't set up all those ravens across act 2 and 3 for nothing. Kinda makes me wonder how they'll handle actual evil conquering bastards like him since they've gone for mostly tragic stories this season.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Miftan posted:

it's definitely Swain, right? They didn't set up all those ravens across act 2 and 3 for nothing. Kinda makes me wonder how they'll handle actual evil conquering bastards like him since they've gone for mostly tragic stories this season.

Swain is better than Boram Darkwill at the very least, and his conquering is presented as him preparing the world for something worse (like the Void or Demons or possibly even Mordekaiser). He's a lot more nuanced than just an evil conquering bastard.

Slashrat posted:

It's kind of interesting that Mel's mom appears to have been supporting Zaun from the shadows all along specifically to provoke Jayce into developing Hextech weaponry. The mention of her accelerating the timeline due to being recently threatened by an even more powerful actor in world politics suggests she's been at it for quite a while too. I kind of got the impression that Mel was somewhat aware of the plan, but more in a "Manipulate Jayce into making weapons eventually, then sell those to foreign nations."-kind of way.

As for this I do think Mel knew, but ultimately turned on the plan as she got to know Jayce. Especially as she continued to think on her mother, who is an absolute unit good god, and her past. Also definitely Swain.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

Miftan posted:

The subtitles do give away that the birds are crows, not ravens, so I'm not sure about the connection to Swain. In the fight between Ekko and Jinx there's a shot where both have their "animal stand-in" in the background. Ekko has the firelight bug and Jinx got the crow. Makes me believe that the crows might just be the symbol for Jinx and not Swain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OH LOOK WE GOT FISHBONES HA HA HA.

Wow, what a show.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 20, 2021

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
loving amazing final set, i'm really speechless

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Landed great although the episode 8 fight scene was kinda nonsensical and there just to give Jace a chance to swing hammer. So Vi is very angry at Piltover and enforcers but happily leads an unsanctioned police raid? What could go wrong??!! And then a kid (who looks like Cuno from Disco Elysium lol) dies and she just shrugs. But as a Vi main in past I cant say no to gauntlets action of course.

After the finale I expect them to rework Camille origin and make her the face of the inevitable fascist response that will happen after Jinx doing the teamwipe 9/11. Maybe some enforcer who was maimed in the explosion and turned into a hextech robocop. If the Arcane story team cares about adding more characters of course.

Ekko vs Jinx in episode 7 is my favorite scene in the series, perfect direction and great fanservice callback to Seconds trailer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

Landed great although the episode 8 fight scene was kinda nonsensical and there just to give Jace a chance to swing hammer. So Vi is very angry at Piltover and enforcers but happily leads an unsanctioned police raid? What could go wrong??!! And then a kid (who looks like Cuno from Disco Elysium lol) dies and she just shrugs. But as a Vi main in past I cant say no to gauntlets action of course.

That is the big thing that didn't sit well once I'd had a moment to process everything.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Agreed, it was probably the weakest part of the whole set.

What's not been weak for one moment though is the music. The soundtrack has been absolutely great through the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPu1_aPH5k

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dawgstar posted:

That is the big thing that didn't sit well once I'd had a moment to process everything.

It's very much Jayce buying into Mel's mom and what she's trying to sell. He's being pumped up by the idea of glorious heroism (notice he literally had a childhood artwork of himself with the hammer) and Vi is mad as hell at Silco and wants to stop him way more than she has issues with the Enforcers at that moment.

As another point Caitlyn isn't going to become the face of Piltover trying to opress Zaun even more, if anything I think she's going to see this as a failure of the Enforcers and try to clean them up properly. Which is her standard history anyway. With a specific desire to catch and imprison Jinx specifically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's very much Jayce buying into Mel's mom and what she's trying to sell. He's being pumped up by the idea of glorious heroism (notice he literally had a childhood artwork of himself with the hammer) and Vi is mad as hell at Silco and wants to stop him way more than she has issues with the Enforcers at that moment.

As another point Caitlyn isn't going to become the face of Piltover trying to opress Zaun even more, if anything I think she's going to see this as a failure of the Enforcers and try to clean them up properly. Which is her standard history anyway. With a specific desire to catch and imprison Jinx specifically.

I can see that, I do, it still doesn't sit right, though. I probably would have done it as Vi and Jayce doing a two-person wrecking crew. (It is a little funny how now it's fine if Vi and Cait are together, I just don't want Vi to date a cop.)

In funnier news Mel's mom's boytoy is listed in the credits as Gorgeous Man.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ah I knew Jinx vs Ekko reminded me of something

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Not really sure if I like Powder/Jinx. When I started this show I thought she was going to be the main character. But all together, she's more of a natural force of disaster which forms the setting. I think she lacked a bit of agency.
Steinfeld as Vi was great though. Should have been more gay, though.

Vulin posted:

Agreed, it was probably the weakest part of the whole set.

What's not been weak for one moment though is the music. The soundtrack has been absolutely great through the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPu1_aPH5k

So that was Sting? They sure went all out with their budget. You could probably even play 10 seconds of a lesser known Beatles song with that kind of money.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus what a closing act.
Loved everything, especially
Sevika and Silco's characterization. WE-DO-NOT-SELLOUT. EVER
and that scene,
Ekko and Jinx, that's a masterpiece of direction. No spoken lines, everything is stylized, it's a child's game between two hypercompetitive kids, but now they're killing each other in the same context. They put there even a Kaneda braking slide, for good measure.

Well played, Riot. I thought this was a marketing stunt, it actually was Great Storytelling.

Char fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 20, 2021

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
So, now that we've seen Mel's mother and more of Caitly'ns parents, is a theme of Arcane callous or absent mothers and caring (if sometimes evil) fathers. Something of a reversal of normal tropes.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could gush about that fight scene in episode 7 so much that is a literal masterpiece of animation

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Show good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Asema posted:

I could gush about that fight scene in episode 7 so much that is a literal masterpiece of animation

the back and forth between them as kids was just loving insane. This show is doing SO MUCH with it’s time holy poo poo.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Aw yeah Silco proved again that he's best character in this series.
Great third act but i gotta say the ecko fight was cool and all but why didn't VI take the opportunity to confront jinx like that has been her main purpose for the series post act 1 like she couldn't go "hey Ecko she needs to talk with me".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy gently caress how are there not more episodes JESUS CHRIST

That entire final scene at the table was insane. Everything to the camera shots, to the music, the animation, the colors, the sound effects how loving tense it was, just everything. I have so many good things to say about that scene I'm sort of not really able to say anything. It's weird because I'm like well, three out of four of those characters SHOULD still be alive right?? But I was legit worried Caitlyn was gonna die right there. Also animation wise it was very fun to see full on crazy shimmer'd up Jinx. The glowing purple eyes were really striking.

Also all the Vi and Caitlyn stuff was super cute. They clearly weren't trying to do some throwing a bone to the shippers, those girls wanna smooch each other so bad. I gasped out loud when Caitlyn got out of the shower and Jinx's monkey symbol was drawn on the mirror. Also man I would've LOVED to have seen way more of Heimer down in the Undercity, and living with the Firelights. That felt like a lot of unexplored potential. Really wish the last episode had been longer.

The fights were all awesome in their own way, though I do agree with everyone that the one fight, while fun to see these two LoL heroes do all their fancy abilities, felt like a weird scene.

One of the last shots they didn't outright confirm Vander = Warwick, but that shot of Singed with a creature hanging above him with claws but also a beard, I'm not sure how you're supposed to interpret that any other way. How is this the last episode?? How many years before more?!

Also I have to wonder how they're gonna go forward now with Jinx as a character. I think they went places with her where you can't simply have her be Junkrat anymore (yes I know Jinx came first, but it's the best character comparison I've got). I'm curious if anything will be different there or if they'll just have her be the crazy wacky shooty explody girl.

Also one more thing sort of related to Heimer. Reading the lore on the various regions and characters and the various Yordels especially, I find it really interesting the way Riot treats the Yordles. They are sort of designed as this silly, jokey race, but IN UNIVERSE they aren't treated any differently than anyone else. And I'm not talking about just Heimer's portrayal in this show, I mean most Yordels seem to be treated with respect and even treated as heroes or great soldiers. There's no notion in universe that the Yordels are anything all that crazy

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 20, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think this is the best piece of Western animation I've ever seen.

It's just unbelievable.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Asema posted:

i dont mean to exaggerate but the episode 7 ending might be the high watermark of visual media

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Natural 20 posted:

I think this is the best piece of Western animation I've ever seen.

It's just unbelievable.

I have a hard time thinking of anything better really. Some of Pixar's best maybe, but apart from that, I don't know.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the ending of ep 7 was shot like a music video and those guys were already doing some sick stuff with K/DA POP/STARS and have only been better since then

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DekeThornton posted:

I have a hard time thinking of anything better really. Some of Pixar's best maybe, but apart from that, I don't know.

Into the spiderverse did some really great stuff and embraced it's comic-bookness, but that's the only thing I can think of that comes close.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

spiderverse is still the GOAT but being in the same conversation as pixar and the best-animated movie of all time is dece company, imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Miftan posted:

Into the spiderverse did some really great stuff and embraced it's comic-bookness, but that's the only thing I can think of that comes close.

Spiderverse was easily the bar, I don't think any of Pixar or Disney's stuff looked anywhere close to that good, but I think Arcane just blows it out of the water. I've never seen anything like this show. I'm absolutely blown away.

Also there's one shot in these episodes I want to call out specifically: when Jayce meets Mel's mom at the spa or whatever, that side shot of Jayce, her and the big war mural in the background is MWAH spicy meataball

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Can't argue with how beautiful that finale was but i do feel like i want one more episode or so of buildup. The last episode gives us two characters meeting who i don't think have ever interacted in a way that felt pretty shortcutted and there could have been more fallout from how Viktor's story goes in this arc. Even vi and jayce's teamup felt a bit rushed.

Mostly I'm sour about viktor in the last episode. Not sure how much further you can drag out his inevitable end point per game lore with how his story turns here. Not sure it has to go all the way, but the last episode does just sorta ratchet the intensity back down without real closure.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Well drat.

That ending was intense.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Silco is a much better character than League of Legends ever deserved. Man that soliloquy was such a good character beat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Folks

https://twitter.com/arcaneshow/status/1462214285300432897?s=10

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:woop:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Listen real real real close at the last 5-ish seconds...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/WillardWorm/status/1462063485911638017

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Servaetes posted:

Listen real real real close at the last 5-ish seconds...

I hate to ask but what was I supposed to hear?

Yeah, I honestly don't have the head for the click to move MOBAs. The only one I was ever good at was Smite. Now, though, I have LoR and Ruined King, there's a fighting game coming out, whatever the MMO is, so they're actually becoming Riot GameS.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Dawgstar posted:

I hate to ask but what was I supposed to hear?

Hopefully spoilers work but: but check out this link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=bQmyllqmThc

It's the heartbeat music when a person is playing Warwick, a werewolf experiment Singed is working on in the very end of episode 9, the guy hanging up in the foreground. There's been some strong hints that Vander will eventually become him and if anything that kinda cements it firmly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it better not take another six years before vi and caitlyn kiss that's all I'm saying

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

My genuine advice as someone who has like 2k hours in league of legends is to try wild rift if you're interested. it has All Your Favorite Stars Of The Hit Netflix Series Arcane (i think) and all the actually fun stuff from league but is way more digestible

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Servaetes posted:

Hopefully spoilers work but: but check out this link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=bQmyllqmThc

It's the heartbeat music when a person is playing Warwick, a werewolf experiment Singed is working on in the very end of episode 9, the guy hanging up in the foreground. There's been some strong hints that Vander will eventually become him and if anything that kinda cements it firmly.

Oh, interesting! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't have the head for the click to move MOBAs. The only one I was ever good at was Smite. Now, though, I have LoR and Ruined King, there's a fighting game coming out, whatever the MMO is, so they're actually becoming Riot GameS.

Even as an esport, it is dull as gently caress to watch compared with Dota 2. No amount of hypecasting can make up for how bad and dated the visuals look when comparing Worlds footage with TI, let alone the gameplay being pretty boring with most skills being skillshots and lack of creep denys/blocking and lane manipulation