Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The existence of Free Zone Scientology suggests that it's going to have long term staying power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Not really, from what I've read almost all Free Zoners started out in the Church of Scientology and were either kicked out for asking the wrong questions or left because they were tired of being treated as a piggy bank for Miscavage's latest project. Neither the CoS nor Freezone groups are doing much recruiting of non-Scientologists, since it usually leads to the recruiters getting trolled.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

out of all religions started in the latter half of the 20th century, scientology does seem to have the most actual infrastructure. like they have centers in major cities all over the world, they own a bunch of property, there is a city in florida that they basically have direct control over, they have recruiters out there doing the e-meter stuff everywhere, etc. certainly they have gotten a lot of negative publicity in the last couple decades but this doesn't necessarily diminish the staying power of a religion

their nearest competitor (in terms of founding period and nature of origin) the church of all worlds is not even close to being as entrenched

for anyone curious wikipedia has a running list of new religions. however it does include parody religions meant purely to make a point (e.g. pastafarianism) as well as many forms of revivalism or splinter groups of existing religions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious_movements

one thing i think is interesting is jediism, which started off as a sort of joke but which gained enough traction to be officially recognized in a couple of countries, and which is now connected to one of the most powerful and influential media companies on the planet. i wonder when and how they will take advantage of that

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 21, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i like cao dai although its 100 years old now since it takes the usual NRM thing of all prophets and religious leaders your local culture are familiar with are actually secret prophets of our religion but then just adds some cool fun prophets like Victor Hugo into the mix.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I find the Jesus Movement of the 60s and 70s pretty interesting, though mostly from an aesthetic standpoint I guess. It does seem like a Christianity I might have been convinced of if I were the right age in that time and place, but the requirement of religious belief is still there and I don't know whether that version of me would have any more of that than real me does.

I read a lot of the Joy of Satan website a few years after its launch. I think it was the first time I really dug into an online rabbit hole of its kind. I was young and considering everything with equal weight so I stuck around probably longer than I should have.
I just checked on it, and while I'm not exactly 'glad' it still exists, if it must exist I'm glad it still looks like a 1997 Geocities page.

i guess the church of satan and therefore all modern satanism, theistic and atheistic, counts as an NRM though. So I guess my 'favourite' is the atheistic satanism i half-ironically subscribe to

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Do the Unitarian Universalists count? I know the organization was founded in the 60's, but given they're sincretic of many beliefs I'm not certain.

Discordianism's still my favorite though. Something pretty compelling about the argument that apparent order and disorder are simply the result of human pattern recognition as applied through a given cultural lens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

Do the Unitarian Universalists count? I know the organization was founded in the 60's, but given they're sincretic of many beliefs I'm not certain.

Discordianism's still my favorite though. Something pretty compelling about the argument that apparent order and disorder are simply the result of human pattern recognition as applied through a given cultural lens.
The UUs U-Unified in 1961 but both parts were previously active religious groups if not very large ones. The main tensions I heard of from a UU minister were that many Universalist churches at the time of the merger were Southern/Black and the Unitarian churches were Northern/white, at least in America. The American UUs are no longer directly linked to the ones in Canada although they are in basic agreement on everything. I believe they also have friendly relations with other Unitarian churches, such as the one in Transylvania. (It is unclear if the Transylvanians retain power against Dracula.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Earwicker posted:

out of all religions started in the latter half of the 20th century, scientology does seem to have the most actual infrastructure. like they have centers in major cities all over the world, they own a bunch of property, there is a city in florida that they basically have direct control over, they have recruiters out there doing the e-meter stuff everywhere, etc. certainly they have gotten a lot of negative publicity in the last couple decades but this doesn't necessarily diminish the staying power of a religion

Mystery cults have a long, long pedigree in Western religion.

https://i.imgur.com/FS0Wy2F.mp4

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Liquid Communism posted:

Its my favorite. Every time I go back to the PD I find new things in it that have me asking five other people what they think a out it. The amount of genuine thought provoking material in something so goofy on its face is great.

The Principia Discordia posted:

NONSENSE AS SALVATION

The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously.

To that end, POEE proposes the countergame of NONSENSE AS SALVATION. Salvation from an ugly and barbarous existence that is the result of taking order so seriously and so seriously fearing contrary orders and disorder; that GAMES are taken as more important than LIFE; rather than taking LIFE AS THE ART OF PLAYING GAMES.

To this end, we propose that man develop his innate love for disorder, and play with The Goddess Eris. And know that it is a joyful play, and that thereby CAN BE REVOKED THE CURSE OF GREYFACE.

If you can master nonsense as well as you have already learned to master sense, then each will expose the other for what it is: absurdity. From that moment of illumination, a man begins to be free regardless of his surroundings. He becomes free to play order games and change them at will. He becomes free to play disorder games just for the hell of it. He becomes free to play neither or both. And as the master of his own games, he plays without tear, and therefore without frustration, and there. fore with good will in his soul and love in his being.

And when men become free then mankind will be free. May you be free of The Curse of Greyface. May the Goddess put twinkles in your eyes. May you have the knowledge of a sage, and the wisdom of a child. Hail Eris.

The Principia Discordia posted:

-On Occultism -

Magicians, especially since the Gnostic and then Quabala influences, have sought higher consciousness through the assimilation and control of universal opposites-good/evil, positive/negative, male/female, etc. But due to the steadfast pomposity of ritualism inherited from the ancient methods of the shaman, occultists have been blinded to what is perhaps the two most important pairs of apparent or earth-plane opposites: ORDER/DISORDER and SERIOUS/HUMOROUS.

Magicians, and their progeny the scientists, have always taken themselves and their subject in an orderly and sober manner, thereby disregarding an essential metaphysical balance. When magicians learn to approach philosophy as a malleable art in stead of an immutable Truth, and learn to appreciate the absurdity of man's endeavors, then they will be able to pursue their art with a lighter heart and perhaps gain a clearer understanding of it, and therefore gain more effective magic. CHAOS IS ENERGY.

This is an essential challenge to the basic concepts of all western occult though, and POEE is humbly pleased to offer the first major breakthrough in occultism since Solomon.

Edit: Hail Eris

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 22, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds like someone’s just figured out that nirvana is not an escape but found within samsara itself.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Howdy from TFR. Tias asked me to pop in and share a little bit about prison ministry. This is from a post I made in GBS:

http://www.kairosprisonministry.org/kairos-inside-prison-ministry.php

It's a ministry called Kairos International. Inside the units, we are unofficially called "the cookie guys".* We visit the prison twice a year and our weekend is called a Walk.

We are a 4th day ministry, meaning that we are in the prison for three days, then the fourth day is the beginning of a new life for the prisoners. We don't go in to convert anyone to a specific denomination, we don't preach hellfire and damnation, we go and follow Jesus last commandment to us: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." We do our weekend with the participants, then we go up on Saturdays for Prayer and Share so that the men stay accountable to each other and the Word.

Our motto is "Listen, listen, love, love." We show the men inside the unit that God's love doesn't stop at a prison wall. The guys inside often feel discarded, forgotten, hated. Some haven't heard from family members in months or years. Some are struggling with their faith, some have no faith, some are initially hostile to us. When they enter the library to a bunch of "free worlders" who are whooping and cheering for them, they are confused. Usually a couple will ask if we are being paid to be there or doing community service. It blows their minds when they find out that we are taking time off work and paying out of our own pockets to visit them. That usually starts knocking down the walls in their hearts and minds.

The warden and chaplain of the unit select 42 inmates to participate in the weekend and about a dozen previous Kairos participants to act as stewards. Participants are divided into tables of 6 with 3 volunteers, with each table called a family and each family named after a disciple. We give a series of ten talks about accountability, Christian action, walking in faith, fellowship, etc. We also have chapel time and meals together.

Meals - that's the big draw for a lot of the men. We bring in pizza, brisket, hamburgers, fresh fruit, ice cream, etc. Dining together facilitates fellowship. We don't sit at separate tables from the men, each family dines together, prays together, sings together, and often cries together. All too often we hear from the men that they never had a father or that the father they had wasn't a good father. I'll never forget a HUGE tattooed guy (later I found out that he was in for double homicide) crying on my shoulder and telling me that he had felt more love in the last three days than he had know in his entire lifetime.

We also have hand-drawn placemats at every meal that are made by Sunday school classes. Some of the kids draw flowers, rainbows, birds, some get right to the point. "DON'T ROB BANKS!!!!!!!" written in crayon in 4"-tall letters was a favorite one year. A lot of the guys will save the placemats after every meal.

In the afternoon of the second day, each participant gets a bag of letters, one from every volunteer on the team and from anyone else who wants to write one. Sometimes it's just a Bible verse, sometimes it's an inspiration quote, just a small bit of friendship that they can carry with them back to their houses (cells). This is a HUGE turning point for many on the participants.

Stories: I can't tell a lot because of confidentiality stuff, but let me see:

One Walk we had a guy who refused to participate. Wouldn't join in the talks, wouldn't look at the speakers, tried to upset the volunteers in his family. We just let him vent and didn't let him disrupt the Walk. He kept it up until the second day when he got his bag of letters. He did his best to ignore it, then curiosity got the best of him. He took out one letter, tore it open like it was a past-due bill and read it. His lip quivered a bit and he slammed it down on the table. A couple minutes later, he read it again and you could see the barriers falling down. He read that letter over and over and then put his head on the table and let out 40 years of sadness. He was a new man the next day. I think he kept that letter in his shirt pocket all weekend.

The unit I visit in Texas had an escape attempt back in the 1970's. There are still bullet marks on the concrete in the yard. (it didn't end well)

*Cookies - We are known as the Cookie Guys because we bring 1500 dozen cookies with us to the unit. Every man incarcerated there gets a dozen cookies. This is a BIG DEAL to the men in the unit. If one guy on the wing acts up, we get pulled out and no one gets cookies. One of the things you do on your first Walk is hand out cookies to the men in the cells. When I first entered the block, the first guy that saw me yelled "Yo, it's the Cookie Dudes! Y'all don't f*ck this up!", then looked at me and apologized for swearing. Almost every man that got a bag of cookies shook my hand and said "thank you" and "God bless you."

It's a life-changing experience for both the men inside and us volunteers. Until I did my first Walk, I tended to think of inmates as cartoon character bad guys. This has made me re-evaluate a lot of strongly-held beliefs and biases.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my dad used to do Kairos but i never really asked him about it. sounds really nice

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I had never heard of the Kairos before, but this is absolutely amazing! Thank you for existing, and keep it up!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

As Advent approaches - tomorrow is the last day of the liturgical year, for Catholics and some Protestants - I thought I'd share something written by Servant of God Dorothy Day.

quote:

I have said rosaries on picket lines and in prisons, in sickness and in health, and one of our friends who lost a leg in the Second World War said that he held fast to his rosary as he lay wounded on the battlefield, holding on to it as he was hanging on to life. In peace, working for peace, suffering for peace, and suffering in war, in times of joy and pain and terror, Mary has been Refuge of Sinners.

Brother Antoninus, the Dominican poet, who with Carol McCool ran the St. Colette House of Hospitality in Oakland, California, before he entered religion, told me of a fearful night he spent when one of the guests of the house ran amok with a carving knife threatening everyone there. Carol, ex-Marine and exTrappist, and Brother Antoninus (then William Everson), poet and pacifist, went on saying the rosary.

As for its repetitious aspect, I always think of Sister Madeleva’s poem–God speaking to the soul who wonders whether He is not wearied by our repetitions:

“Doth it not irk Me that upon the beach the tides monotonous run? Shall I not teach the sea some newer speech?”

Every day at the Catholic Worker Farm when we gather for meals we say the Angelus before asking God’s blessing on us and the food we eat. And it rejoices me to hear all the men, who are in the majority, saying, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord, be it done unto me according to Thy Word,” and repeating together that marvelous and yet terrible prayer,

“Pour forth we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts, that we to whom the Incarnation of Christ was made known by the message of an angel, may by His passion and cross be brought to the glory of His resurrection.” This Incarnation came about by Mary’s consent, she “through whom we have received the author of life.”

So Advent must begin with Mary, who presents us with the infant Christ. “The flesh of Jesus is the flesh of Mary,” St. Augustine wrote. “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.”

When I go to the crib this year I will think, as I always do, that we are not dependent on the governments of this world for our safety, but “the government will be upon His shoulder.” This baby cradled in a manger, this boy talking to the doctors in the temple, this youth working with St. Joseph as carpenter, this teacher walking the roads of Palestine, “Do whatever He tells you,” Mary told us.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My church does a lot of stuff with prisoners and letting them know people on the outside actually give a drat can be a super powerful force in their lives.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wish sometimes that we Protestants had more time for Mary. Not to venerate (since, you know, that's not a thing for us) but just... the things she exemplifies, particularly hope for everything turning out all right when it seems darkest, are things I will never run out of the need for.

In not entirely unrelated news, I'm home from the hospital and still recovering. It's slow, but progress is progress.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

docbeard posted:

I wish sometimes that we Protestants had more time for Mary. Not to venerate (since, you know, that's not a thing for us) but just... the things she exemplifies, particularly hope for everything turning out all right when it seems darkest, are things I will never run out of the need for.

In not entirely unrelated news, I'm home from the hospital and still recovering. It's slow, but progress is progress.

I knew I shoulda tried the conversion while you were still groggy.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/CampbellxEmma/status/1464407455836819456

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

docbeard posted:

I feel like the Protestants who are afraid of mentioning Mary, lest they accidentally venerate her, should remember that the last thing she says in the New Testament - because she's present in the Acts of the Apostles, but isn't recorded as saying anything, and had to have been a source for Luke's Gospel, but her mention in John's Gospel is chronologically last - is "Do whatever He tells you," like Dorothy Day said in the quote. It's hard to go wrong following someone whose advice to us is to listen to Jesus - and who wasn't afraid to say to Jesus, "Son, why have you done this to us?" Because sometimes things seem super dark, and it's not bad to say, as The Message translation would have it, "Young man, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been half out of our minds looking for you." And, I think that if we ask that, and we hear Jesus saying, "How is it that you sought me? did you not know, that I must be about my father's business?" (as the Douay-Rheims has his reply), that answer can be comforting, in the same way that Job was not just silenced but satisfied to hear the Lord declaring, from a whirlwind, "Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth?" (I wasn't going to quote the D-R twice, but "wrapping sentences in unskillful words" is such a great turn of phrase!)

And, uh, because that's three really long sentences and there were already parentheticals in it: just to be clear, docbeard, I was totally not accusing you of anything or saying you were afraid of mentioning Mary!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

S3 of What We Do In The Shadows taking an interesting turn.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That dog's name is FRIAR MOUSTACHE for heaven's sake. I would do anything for him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cyrano4747 posted:

S3 of What We Do In The Shadows taking an interesting turn.

"What is Guillermo doing here?" was my first thought too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hims a monk.*

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Corinthians says that love keeps no record of wrongs. How does that work when I'm autistic and can literally remember every wrong that was ever done to me ever?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Corinthians says that love keeps no record of wrongs. How does that work when I'm autistic and can literally remember every wrong that was ever done to me ever?

It isn't meant to be taken quite so literally as that. The point is, if you love someone, you won't spend space in your mind adding up all the ways they have slighted you. It's about forgiveness. Many non-autistic people can also remember many, many times they've been wronged, but dwelling on that stuff will hurt you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Buddha posted:

The mind comes before all mental states. Mind is their ruler and creator. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like a cart following an ox

The mind comes before all mental states. Mind is their ruler and creator. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like a never-departing shadow

he who says "he has beaten me, he has robbed me, he has struck me" has no peace. His mind is filled with hatred.

He who does not say "he has beaten me, he has struck me, he has wronged me", has no anger. His mind is free from hatred. He is at peace.

Hatred is never stopped by hatred in this world. By love alone is hatred stopped. This is an eternal law.

If you dwell on the bad things that were done to you, you will end up hating and resenting others and then wronging them. If you dwell on the good things that were done to you, you will be filled with gratitude and end up with a mind that is more giving and loving. The chances that you will be able to do this naturally are slim. Therefore fake it till you make it. People are formed by their habits. Find exercises online to develop gratitude like a gratitude journal. Try to be observant of your thoughts and mind. If you notice yourself thinking about bad things people have done to you, force yourself to think of good things they have done for you even if it was very small. The more you do this the easier it will get.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The more you do this the easier it will get.

Not for everybody. Some people have less choice in what they think about and focus (or even hyperfocus) on. Especially if there are learning differences involved.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Effort counts more than anything.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Not for everybody. Some people have less choice in what they think about and focus (or even hyperfocus) on. Especially if there are learning differences involved.

even for them the more they do it the easier it will get. easier is a relative word not an absolute one. if the goal is perfection give up now. if the goal is to do better than how you're doing it is possible through effort and patience. humans are naturally habit-forming creatures and i would say (as an autistic person myself) that autistic people tend to be even more so. what you're trying to do is simply recognize that and manipulate that natural tendency for good, like how an engineer manipulates natural laws like gravity and newton's laws to build a machine. you're replacing one habit with another and this does require large and great effort in the beginning but less and less as it stops being a choice and begins becoming a habit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

even for them the more they do it the easier it will get. easier is a relative word not an absolute one. if the goal is perfection give up now. if the goal is to do better than how you're doing it is possible through effort and patience. humans are naturally habit-forming creatures and i would say (as an autistic person myself) that autistic people tend to be even more so. what you're trying to do is simply recognize that and manipulate that natural tendency for good, like how an engineer manipulates natural laws like gravity and newton's laws to build a machine. you're replacing one habit with another and this does require large and great effort in the beginning but less and less as it stops being a choice and begins becoming a habit.

It does not work this way at all for me. Worse it’s intensely irritating to try to force it to work that way.

I don’t choose and grasp, I am grasped. I’ve always found Lewis’ tin soldiers analogy irritating for the same reason. I much prefer: You are accepted! to pretending be something other than yourself

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Prurient Squid posted:

You might remember, but remembering isn't the same as keeping a record.

What does keeping a record look like? Well you could be like a great-aunt of mine who literally had in a calendar all the times another great-aunt had wronged her.

A less extreme version could be you constantly bringing up a time when someone hurt you. It could be constantly telling a story. It could constantly be gossiping about them and that situation.

Think about the impact of keeping a record. I have a friend who would constantly bring up one of my less prouder moments because they think it was funny. But every time they brought it up, they were returning me back to that situation, and it was embarrassing. Eventually, I told my friend that the story needs to die.

That's keeping a record. Sure, I might remember it, but I can't control what I remember. I can't control how I feel. But I can control how I respond.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prurient Squid posted:

It's one of the many conundrums of spiritual living. Forgiveness is the precursor to the empathy, that makes gratitude and peace of mind possible, so we must -attempt- even though it's not easy. I'm both a mean drunk with a long childhood history of neglect and aspergers / ADHD, so I definitely know where you're coming from. However, getting into a routine of -trying- to place the events of the past in their proper size and consequence, trying to pray for those who did me wrong and those I had done wrong, and trying to admit my part of the responsibility in the situations that went sour, I have come to a much more loving and peaceful place - even towards people who really hosed me over.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a christian, but worked specifically with these tools when I got sober through AA, a christian-inspired self help program.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I think I've mentioned before 50s Girl Groupon's treatment diary in PYF. I've been following it for a while because she has a similar cancer to the one I've experienced plus other medical issues. IMO, it's been raining in her life for a long time and it just started pouring harder.

Apparently, she's been back in the hospital recently, there's money woes preventing her from getting her full treatment and she's been having to work while sick with cancer (which is a misery I know all too well).

It's nearing Christmas and I would ask everyone to at least pray for healing and the relief of her suffering. If you pray with the saints, I would suggest asking the intercession of St. Peregrine who I prayed with while I was in active treatment. If you would like to help with her financial woes as well (I plan to) her GoFundMe page is here.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Maybe this is more “weird historical trivia” then “weird religious trivia” but it raised an eyebrow.

https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/george-washington-a-descendant-of-odin

quote:

George Washington: first President of the United States, father of his country, crosser of the Delaware, and descendant of Odin. This, at least, was the claim put forward by the late nineteenth-century genealogist Albert Welles. In the floridly titled, four-hundred-page tome The Pedigree and History of the Washington Family Derived from Odin, the Founder of Scandinavia. B.C. 70, Involving a Period of Eighteen Centuries, and Including Fifty-Five Generations, Down to General George Washington, First President of the United States (1879), Welles created a family tree for Washington of truly mythical proportions, and one which shows just how useful nineteenth-century Americans found the Middle Ages to be when it came to shaping their understandings of their country's origins.

Welles stopped short of claiming that Washington was of semi-divine ancestry — likely because of his own devout Christianity. He therefore took his cue from the thirteenth-century Icelandic author and fellow Christian, Snorri Sturluson, who had proposed that Odin and the other Norse gods of his ancestors should be understood merely as venerated, mythologized versions of particularly successful war leaders. This meant that Odin was not the god of healing and death and the foremost of the Æsir, or Norse pantheon. He was instead a flesh-and-blood man who had lived almost two thousand years ago, ruling over a Turkic people in central Asia called the Aesir. Over time, Odin's conquests took him further and further west until he finally settled in Scandinavia and declared himself king of all its peoples in the early first century BCE. Welles sniffed that previous historians had not come to this very obvious conclusion because they — unlike him — were "unable to separate the real from the mythological history".

Yet Welles was keen to engage in some myth-making of his own, stressing the similarities between the Odin he conjured up and George Washington. Though separated by eighteen centuries — and though no one knows what even a human Odin might have looked like — Welles writes that both men were of "wild, massive, manly" stock. If Odin, the first king of a united Scandinavia, were "the Mars as well as the Mohammed" of the region, then surely the first president of the United States had to hold a similarly elevated position.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's not even weird historical trivia so much as it's part and parsel of victorian "historians" being really in to racial theory and other non-scientific means of justifying colonialism. Proto-nazi poo poo is what this is.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Is Welles the same guy who proposed a hollow earth theory where we live inside a hollow earth?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Pershing posted:

Is Welles the same guy who proposed a hollow earth theory where we live inside a hollow earth?

Speaking of religion and Hollow Earth, a couple years back I visited a utopian commune in Florida that existed from 1894-1961. They were led by a Dr. Cyrus Teed who invented Koreshanity. A major belief of theirs was that the universe is actually a concave sphere and we on Earth are sort of on the perimeter. There were lots of scientific experiments they performed involving bridges and stuff that reminded me a lot of Flat Earth experiments, and they had to use convulted logic like that the sun we see is a reflection from light coming from the center of the universe and the real sun that heats the Earth is a giant invisible electromagnetic battery.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wonder how many of these 19th century oddities got real big clubs of genuine adherents, as opposed to a lot of people joining for fun or because they didn't have anything else to do, leaving some future Atlas Obscura entries laying around, and then going back to the alligator farm.

The concave sphere thing seems unusually easy to disprove.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Nckdictator posted:

Maybe this is more “weird historical trivia” then “weird religious trivia” but it raised an eyebrow.

This Thanksgiving I learned my wife's family has some tenuous claim to William the Conquerer and Charlemagne, of all people.

Here I am a Catholic Polack just the descendant of potato eaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So many people can claim both those lines of ancestry though.