Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

I may be wrong about the per capita, but there's no way Australia is going to scale to replace their fossil fuel generation with batteries and wind alone.

Well, you may be wrong again. This is simply something that we will find out in the years to come. Reducing emissions and increasing renewables is the current trend, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FreeKillB posted:

Back in the realm of our actually-existing context:

Georgia Power's Vogtle doubles original cost amid further delay

edit to be more optimistic: Why Local Solar For All Costs Less: A New Roadmap for the Lowest Cost Grid
The above report was referenced by journalist Dave Roberts, and outlines a modeling approach indicating that on the whole distributed resources like rooftop solar have the potential to result in substantial cost savings. This approach tries to model the interface between the high-voltage transmission grid and the more local distribution grids, and arrives at a result that undermines the claims by many utilities that rooftop solar increases costs for customers.

*chants mantra* Nuclear power cannot fail. It can only be failed. Nuclear power cannot fail. It can only be failed. Nuclear power . . .

Monaghan posted:

I guess we'll see if the growth rate continues, as I'm pretty much convinced that we are going to be seeing a major disruption in the eletricity sector in the next decade if growth rates continue. So far, using the EIA figures, solar increasing by around 40% every two years. Storage is going in a similar cost curves that it will be inapplicable.

This is gonna be a complete wait and see I suppose. Maybe I should do a ten year toxx and ban myself majority if the electricity in the united states is not from renewable sources by 2030 isn't from renewables. I know we have a fundamental disagreement on whether the growth rates will continue, but neither of us have a crystal ball.

The EIA's 2021 prediction is that in 2050 renewables will generate 42% of the US's electricity.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46676

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The lowest cost grid will not get Toronto through a winter carbon free.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Again, the idea that we can profit our way out of climate change is absurd. The costs being the deciding factor of how we get clean energy means we won't get it.

Yes, cost matters, but it should matter much much less.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

silence_kit posted:

The EIA's 2021 prediction is that in 2050 renewables will generate 42% of the US's electricity.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46676
The eia prediction constantly puts forward linear growth and their predictions haven't been accurate for a decade. They are constantly orders of magnitude wrong.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 13, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

The eia prediction constantly puts forward linear growth and their predictions haven't been accurate for a decade. They are constantly orders of magnitude wrong.

I think it is true that each year in recent history, they revise their predictions to be more bullish on solar.

I suspect that is a lot harder to predict the adoption rate of a more speculative technology compared to an established technology. There is obviously more uncertainty when talking about speculative technologies. As solar matures to become a more established technology, their predictions might become more accurate.

edit: If you look at the 2015 EIA prediction for renewable electricity generation in 2040, it was 20%. The 2021 prediction for 2040 is 40%. A lot of this is due to solar. Wow

Why this thread primarily talks about normal nuclear power and the oddball even less economical types of nuclear power over the more relevant technologies is a little strange, IMO

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 13, 2021

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

silence_kit posted:

I think it is true that each year in recent history, they revise their predictions to be more bullish on solar.

I suspect that is a lot harder to predict the adoption rate of a more speculative technology compared to an established technology. There is obviously more uncertainty when talking about speculative technologies. As solar matures to become a more established technology, their predictions might become more accurate.

edit: If you look at the 2015 EIA prediction for renewable electricity generation in 2040, it was 20%. The 2021 prediction for 2040 is 40%. A lot of this is due to solar. Wow

Why this thread primarily talks about normal nuclear power and the oddball even less economical types of nuclear power over the more relevant technologies is a little strange, IMO

If you were to look at the 1985/1990 numbers for what it would be in 2015/2020 how accurate would they be?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

karthun posted:

If you were to look at the 1985/1990 numbers for what it would be in 2015/2020 how accurate would they be?

If you are referring to renewables, EIA predictions for electricity generation for Hydropower/Other [renewables] in 1985 only go out to 1995. They predicted that % generation of hydropower/other would shrink from 12% in 1985 to 10.5% in 1995. The 1997 EIA report says that renewables in 1995 generated 11% of the US's electricity.

So they were a little pessimistic about renewables in 1985. It kind of makes sense, since wind and solar weren't really a serious electricity generation technology at the time.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 13, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Personally I like having power at night too so I don't find solar that interesting once it reaches a certain percentage of generation. This is California's net demand yesterday, with the teal being total demand and the purple being net demand after accounting for solar and wind generation. We could add another 10,000MW of solar to make the net demand zero from noon to 1pm, but is that really a good use of resources?

Keep in mind it's currently 88 degrees in Los Angeles and way too sunny at the moment (I can't even wash my car mid-day due to water spots). If you look at the area under the curve it's fairly obvious that our resources need to be spent getting clean power at night, which is why people like nuclear. In real life we're just going to keep on building natural gas plants which I'm ok with but the majority of this thread is not, hence all the nuclear talk.

We're not going carbon neutral in the US and certainly not overall in the world, but if you want to pretend you're going to limit CO2 emissions your plan has to involve massive amounts of nuclear power.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Is nuclear in its current guise, or even reasonably achievable in the next five years, able to act as an intermittent power source?

My very limited knowledge of nuclear power plants tells me that they don't like being ramped up/down, and so will always have to fill the "baseload" part of the energy mix.

Coal plants aren't coping will in Australia with the intermittent generation of renewables, but whilst I think some of that is the technology, a lot of it is the economics. Coal owners are writing down plants even the newest one and I don't think we'll see another one built anytime soon. Even gas is going out of favour with the newest plant basically being a vote buying exercise funded by the federal government although they are claiming it's necessary to fill dispatch shortfalls as renewables rise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You definitely want to run nuclear at 100% for economic reasons if nothing else. Which is why it should've looked like this:

With the rest filled by wind or hydro or gas. Solar might be the cheapest per MWH of capacity when it's sunny but you still have to pay to build and maintain whatever is generating at night

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The French did the work on nuclear power ramping a couple decades ago, it's very capable of it.

quote:

Flexible Operation of Nuclear Power Plants Ramps Up

A widespread misconception persists that nuclear plants can only function as inflexible baseload sources of power—and it’s hurting prospects for the nuclear sector’s role in the world’s future power mix, which will increasingly be crowded by intermittent renewable energy forms, several experts say.

Existing nuclear plants and new designs can technically perform both frequency control and load-following operations, but owing to high upfront capital costs and relatively low fuel and operational costs when compared with fossil fuel–generating units, the majority of nuclear generators across the world generally consider operating nuclear power plants at full capacity—for as long as maintenance and refueling allows—as the best option.

However, there appears a “recent and increasing need” worldwide to operate nuclear plants flexibly, noted the International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) in an April 2018 report surveying knowledge, feasibility, and challenges concerning non-baseload operation of nuclear power plants. Among key reasons it cites for this trend are: “large nuclear generating capacity relative to the total capacity, growth in renewable energy generation, and deregulation or structural changes of the electricity supply system and the electricity market during the long operating lifetime of a nuclear power plant. These necessitate technical and regulatory changes, and also operational, economic and financial rearrangements, to maintain the efficiency of capital investment,” it said.

“Due to the French energy mix specifics, the Électricité de France (EDF) nuclear fleet was designed to provide load following and full ancillary services (primary and secondary reserves), mainly due to a large demand consumption pattern with high seasonal variations.” But as the country’s nuclear program has matured and its energy mix shifted, France has also embarked on improved programs to accomplish rapid load following—from 100% rated thermal power (RTP) to 30% RTP—frequency control (±7% RTP), and rapid (up to 5% RTP/minute) return to full power, all with minimal reactor trips while maintaining stable power at various power levels. That required upgrades to nuclear plants with additional plant modifications.

1. A 2010 comparison of German nuclear, newly built hard coal, and combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power plants’ ability to handle load changes suggests nuclear power plants could ramp at a rate of ± 63 MW/min, which hard coal (± 26 MW/min) and CCGT (± 38 MW/min) couldn’t match. Courtesy: Sustainable Nuclear Energy Technology Platform, Nuclear Energy Factsheets—Load Following Capabilities of Nuclear Power Plants, 2017

https://www.powermag.com/flexible-operation-of-nuclear-power-plants-ramps-up/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2021

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Is nuclear in its current guise, or even reasonably achievable in the next five years, able to act as an intermittent power source?

My very limited knowledge of nuclear power plants tells me that they don't like being ramped up/down, and so will always have to fill the "baseload" part of the energy mix.

Coal plants aren't coping will in Australia with the intermittent generation of renewables, but whilst I think some of that is the technology, a lot of it is the economics. Coal owners are writing down plants even the newest one and I don't think we'll see another one built anytime soon. Even gas is going out of favour with the newest plant basically being a vote buying exercise funded by the federal government although they are claiming it's necessary to fill dispatch shortfalls as renewables rise.
Not intermittent like a simple cycle gas turbine.

The current U.S. fleet of nuclear power plants can, follow load around slowly.
They generally raise and lower the temperatures, make fuel adustments gradually.

A rather interesting reddit article on it here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/4etazk/eli5why_is_load_following_hard_to_do_with_nuclear/d249ff5/

Hopefully the upcoming modular reactors will allow for some more flexibility. (They can at least step up/down to go with seasons.)

The way I read the tea leaves of the green future...
-Immediate dispensible load. (Pumped hydro, battery, molten salt, pressurized gas storage underground., potentially hydrogen gas turbnes)
-Base Load (Hydro and Nuclear)
-Renewable cyclical load (Wind, offshore Wind, solar PV, solar thermal)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the info. I figured that immediate frequency and load response was possible, as it's still a steam turbine that can be controlled to a fair extent (although you end up having to dump unused heat out of the primary loop), but was wondering about the ability to bid into the generation pool and operate for 12 hours on Monday, 8 hours Tuesday, 16 hours Wednesday depending on the going price.

Sounds like it's technically no big challenge, but problematic if someone insists on maximising the financial return.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah it's certainly technically feasible. The biggest thing is just modernizing the reactors and the regulatory system. The American plants are rather old, but they're also designed for a world where gas and coal do all the load following. Changing that is very doable, it just needs to actually be updated (both the hardware and the regulations so a nuclear plant is allowed to perform load-following). The French started figuring this out back in the 1980s, so it's hardly cutting age technology. And doing the upgrades isn't prohibitively expensive. The capability just needs to be implemented.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 14, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Coal operators need to ramp down because a huge percentage of their operating costs is in fuel consumption; nuclear operators don't have that problem. With nuclear power the power is almost free, so you can just add/remove load

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

You definitely want to run nuclear at 100% for economic reasons if nothing else. Which is why it should've looked like this:

With the rest filled by wind or hydro or gas. Solar might be the cheapest per MWH of capacity when it's sunny but you still have to pay to build and maintain whatever is generating at night

If CA implemented this we could not worry about rolling blackouts in the summer, but instead we're about to do the opposite which should be interesting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Worth noting that the new Russian VVER is much faster at load following they did some tests this past week to demonstrate it. the AP1000s being built at Votgle and possible exported elsewhere are capable of load following as well

https://aris.iaea.org/PDF/AP1000.pdf

quote:

The AP1000 is designed for load-follow operation for up to 90 percent of the fuel cycle using the MSHIM
(Mechanical Shim) mode of operation. The benefit of MSHIM load follow operation is that the critical boron
concentration remains constant during load follow, eliminating the generation of waste water. The axial power shape
can be maintained throughout the load-follow sequence while simultaneously maintaining a constant boron
concentration. As a result, MSHIM operation does not generate severe axial xenon oscillations and radial power
distributions that would lead to violations of FQ and departure from nucleate boiling ratio (DNBR) limits.

Nuclear Plants in the US are required to be able to operate in load following mode by default, and SMRs look to be able to do the same thing on a smaller scale.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 14, 2021

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The problem with integrating nukes into a power system isn't whether they can technically ramp but whether it's economic to do so, as poster upthread pointed out. High capex plant like nuclear are always more cost effective when run flat out, as lower load factors mean you have to smear the same fixed costs over fewer running hours. The UK's System Operator assumes no more than about 20-30% of load from nuclear in 2050.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Even without load following you can derive value out of nuclear plants if you have a coherent national strategy. Use that power to create fuel for vehicles, or for carbon sequestration, or for molten salt storage, or for literally anything else where power costs are a limiting factor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aethernet posted:

The problem with integrating nukes into a power system isn't whether they can technically ramp but whether it's economic to do so, as poster upthread pointed out. High capex plant like nuclear are always more cost effective when run flat out, as lower load factors mean you have to smear the same fixed costs over fewer running hours. The UK's System Operator assumes no more than about 20-30% of load from nuclear in 2050.

Yes but that same energy can be used to, say, prime batteries and redirect renewables to the grid or pump storage, or desalinate water, or generate hydrogen. All energy intensive tasks that are far better done by something with a consistent output.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Enact real legislative change to limit fossil fuels and promote nukes. When nuclear plants are your best option for reliable overnight power the market will price it accordingly and two things would hopefully happen: demand follows the cheap power into daytime renewable generation; nuclear plants become economically viable generating primarily overnight. They could also generate during the day for extra gravy, but wouldn't need to run 24/7 to be viable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But... why wouldn't you run them 24/7 if you have enough capacity? Solar isn't free in financial terms but also all those panes take resources and energy to build. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it would make sense to idle them for 8-12 hours every day.

E: incidentally this seems to be what France is doing

https://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/power-generation-energy-source

They could probably double the wind and solar output to get rid of a good chunk of has but this seems to work out pretty well

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 14, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

But... why wouldn't you run them 24/7 if you have enough capacity? Solar isn't free in financial terms but also all those panes take resources and energy to build. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it would make sense to idle them for 8-12 hours every day.

They could probably double the wind and solar output to get rid of a good chunk of has but this seems to work out pretty well

It would be better to replace the natural gas other fossil fuels than decom any nuclear. Also: France has said its expanding its nuclear fleet and intends to build SMRs. Worth remembering: The average life span for a nuclear reactor is easily 50 years or more, that's going to outlast any new solar or wind build.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

So one thing to consider here is that load-following can actually be more profitable than simply providing base power. This can be because dispatchable power is priced differently, or because the plant diverts power into ancillary markets that perform other functions (such as acting as a guaranteed power reserve, or modulating power levels to maintain grid stability). Allowing nuclear plants to perform these functions, rather than fossil fuel peaker plants, ends up being a financial benefit for them.

https://greeningthegrid.org/integration-in-depth/ancillary-services

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Senor Tron posted:

Lol at misreading per capita numbers as total and then digging in ignoring everyone pointing that out.

No-one is saying that South Australia is there yet, but we are continuing to reduce emissions and increase renewables year on year. I get that you have a boner for nuclear, but unless you have a time machine to go back 50 years and set a domestic nuclear power industry there's no feasible timeline which sees us moving to nuclear power more quickly than massive renewables deployment.

So, the South Australia energy figures. Is that all their electrical generation? Did they get electricity from other states?

Because I really hope it's factual for the very reason you stated. It has the benefit of being politically possible as well as rapid implementation.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

If there is zero marginal cost of generation then sure, why not run them 24/7.

Solar/wind have an extremely low generation cost and can probably outbid any other source. So it comes down to build costs and the returns you can get on those which is high for renewables but not negligible for nuclear either. If renewables bid into the market at $1/MWh, can nuclear outbid?

I'm not advocating decommissioning nuclear, I think you need more of them, lots more. But they'll make most of their money at night when few other generators can (assuming a forced decline of fossil fuels).

It'll be interesting to see if we really do get "too cheap to meter" power during the day or if some ideological bent stops it from happening. Use that sweet, sweet, solar generated electron flow during the day to pump water uphill, charge batteries, desal water, generate hydrogen etc.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

So, the South Australia energy figures. Is that all their electrical generation? Did they get electricity from other states?

Because I really hope it's factual for the very reason you stated. It has the benefit of being politically possible as well as rapid implementation.

Total generation. They do go completely renewable for increasing periods of time.

But as I stated upthread, conditions apply. They have to export some of that renewable energy to be able to run about 200MW of gas generation to maintain system inertia. If the tie to Victoria fails then they have to load shed renewables.

Hopefully the market operator / grid service providers will get comfortable soon with co-ordinated synthetic inertia and that requirement will go.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Total generation. They do go completely renewable for increasing periods of time.

But as I stated upthread, conditions apply. They have to export some of that renewable energy to be able to run about 200MW of gas generation to maintain system inertia. If the tie to Victoria fails then they have to load shed renewables.

Hopefully the market operator / grid service providers will get comfortable soon with co-ordinated synthetic inertia and that requirement will go.

Thanks for the explanation.

Their lower rates was a surprise to me. I expected the opposite.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

If there is zero marginal cost of generation then sure, why not run them 24/7.

Solar/wind have an extremely low generation cost and can probably outbid any other source. So it comes down to build costs and the returns you can get on those which is high for renewables but not negligible for nuclear either. If renewables bid into the market at $1/MWh, can nuclear outbid?

I'm not advocating decommissioning nuclear, I think you need more of them, lots more. But they'll make most of their money at night when few other generators can (assuming a forced decline of fossil fuels).

It'll be interesting to see if we really do get "too cheap to meter" power during the day or if some ideological bent stops it from happening. Use that sweet, sweet, solar generated electron flow during the day to pump water uphill, charge batteries, desal water, generate hydrogen etc.
Marginal cost is certainly not zero, but basically everything still has to run like normal so I'm thinking it has to be pretty drat low. But that's just guessing really.

Of course this is well into SimCity fantasy scenarios since nobody is actually building all those nukes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

All of this is correct.

In the medium and longer term there's a couple of things being pursued to increase grid stability further:
1. A new interstate connector is being built to link our grid with NSW. With more interconnections local fluctuations can be more easily balanced out.
2. Continuing well past 100% renewables into 200%+ renewables territory, with excess power being used to generate green hydrogen.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

So one thing to consider here is that load-following can actually be more profitable than simply providing base power. This can be because dispatchable power is priced differently, or because the plant diverts power into ancillary markets that perform other functions (such as acting as a guaranteed power reserve, or modulating power levels to maintain grid stability). Allowing nuclear plants to perform these functions, rather than fossil fuel peaker plants, ends up being a financial benefit for them.

https://greeningthegrid.org/integration-in-depth/ancillary-services

This is an interesting market design question - right now in the UK nukes are often contracted on year-ahead prices rather than day ahead, which reduces their ability to capture upside prices.

However, increasing exposure to volatile prices has historically increased the cost of capital for all ZMC generation, which tends to overwhelm other price signals for investment decisions. Not sure how you'd design around it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
China now has an active High Temperature Gas Cooled Pebble Bed Reactor

https://twitter.com/karnfull_en/status/1460230940186365952?s=20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Capt.Whorebags posted:

RTGs have issues with efficiency, cost to produce the isotopes, and security of the material which could be used as a "dirty bomb".

They have been used for some very niche applications, providing power and I think heat for communications relays and navigation lights in the Russian Arctic but some of those have also resulted in radiological accidents.

It might be theoretically possible, and I'm not a physicist so the quantities required for district heating may not actually be possible, but there's no doubt far better ways to provide heat in just about every location.

I think even NASA has had supply issues with their RTGs and their demand can't be that big.

e: there's also no way to control the production of heat. It will produce a steadily decreasing amount of heat whether you need it or not. So you have to use it, store it, reject it to the surrounds, or absorb it in the device itself.

Long-lasting, stable, safely-packageable RTG material is, last time I checked, the most valuable matter on Earth.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

China now has an active High Temperature Gas Cooled Pebble Bed Reactor

https://twitter.com/karnfull_en/status/1460230940186365952?s=20

This is the bugfixed version of the Jülich experimental AVR and its enlarged commercial versions, the unbuilt Siemens HTR (from which the downscaled HTR-10 testbed was derived, which was upscaled again as the HTR-PM) and the actually built THTR.

The Jülich AVR operated with 15MWe/45MWth for over 20 years and proved the concept but was :mediocre: since it had all the bugs you'd expect from the first prototype of a new reactor type built in the early 1960s. Apparently the main problems were in fuel handling and managing core temperature: fuel pellets ended up abrading more than expected, creating large amounts of radioactive dust (not nearly as much as detractors make it out to be, but could be blown or washed out of the core in the case of a major leak) and the core was inhomogeneous with hot spots reaching more than 200K above the set temperature. After the reactor was shut down it additionally turned out the whole floor of the core had cracked. It was also run by morons who disabled humidity sensors instead of shutting down the reactor for repairs when the steam generator sprang a leak and spewed 30 tons of water into the primary helium coolant loop. It took these morons several days to realise that there was a real leak, and after finally shutting the reactor down they proceeded to spill the contaminated water and the fuel pellet dust (including metallic fission products, as their migration out of the fuel particles into the rest of the pellet wasn't understood at the time) suspended therein into the reactor building's basement where it would be ignored for years. The extent of the water leak was not reported to the nuclear regulator, fuel handling improvements weren't seriously studied until after both the AVR and the THTR were shut down, with a full scale reactor mockup cycling mock fuel pellets at realistic temperature eventually being built and operated until the early 2010s. This and the degree of willful incompetence in operating the Jülich AVR would later be written up by a disgruntled AVR engineer*, which apparently was a contributing factor in the South African pebble bed reactor project getting shitcanned when the design was almost final (can't design better fuel handling systems if the people who ran the prototype didn't tell you what fuel handling issues they had lol), probably didn't help with the THTR's design (ditto), and combined with post-Fukushima nuclear panic ended up putting German pebble bed reactor research out of its misery after it had already been stuck in an extended post-THTR death march. As a side note, despite the staggeringly irresponsible operators and multiple leaks of radioactive material, the AVR failed to give anyone in the surrounding area cancer even according to highly critical evaluations of the program.

The 300MWe/750MWth THTR was apparently the 1980s enginerd's wet dream version of a commercial pebble bed reactor, with too many new complicated awesome-sounding features thrown in that ended up turned the thing from a power reactor into another oversize experiment. Inevitably, it was a craptastic failure as a power reactor and was set to bankrupt its operator even if political interference and human errors in operation hadn't led to outages and a premature shutdown. In terms of reactor engineering, it didn't manage to get rid of hot spots in the core and found even more ways of loving up fuel handling (friction in helium is higher than in air, leading to fuel pellets not only abrading rapidly again, but also getting stuck and shattering instead of sliding out of the way of control rods all the time). In terms of overall planning, the best summary for the whole project is probably that it got sited into the middle of a bunch of fields with a dry cooling tower. Dust and aerosolised pig poo poo built up on every exposed surface and the reactor couldn't last the planned maintenance interval without having to reduce power in line with the reduced effectiveness of the cooling tower.

The Siemens HTR was a more reasonably sized and less overcomplicated improved AVR derivative at 200MWth that was intended to be built and bought somewhat like a proto-SMR. Nobody in the West ended up buying it, and sales to Russia also fell through, allegedly the German power companies already operating LWRs particularly hated it because they wanted to avoid restructuring their business or losing market share to municipal scale reactors. The design got sold to China and South Africa when it became clear that further pebble bed reactor construction wasn't going to happen in Germany.

On the whole, ye olde Cold War pebble bed reactors have turned out about as craptacular as fast breeders of the era, but given that newer materials science and iterative development allowed the Russians finally end the chain of failures with the BN-600 and BN-800 who is to say the Chinese can't manage to do the same for pebble bed reactors. So far we know that fuel handling and dust buildup in the HTR-10 are much improved, so I guess we can be cautiously optimistic about the HTR-PM not running into the same technical problems. The HTR-PM's operating temperature is also set to about 150K below that of the AVR, suggesting Chinese nuclear engineers are leaving some extra safety margin in case of hotspots in the core.

*funnily enough the guy is actually against the German nuclear exit and while he thinks the HTR-PM isn't sufficiently improved in terms of preventing dust egress during leaks he thinks the design is better than the German attempts and that pebble bed reactors should absolutely be developed to a point where they're mass deployed.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 15, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Cross-posting this but China seems like they've been making incremental steps towards fusion:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3155546/chinese-scientists-strike-early-gold-race-nuclear-fusion-power

e: Apparently MIT made a pretty big breakthrough as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEwkWjADEA

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 16, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I haven't had time to follow random energy things but I hadn't heard of this coming online until just now:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/net-power-delivers-electricity-to-grid-in-major-technological-breakthrough-301425894.html

quote:

NET Power's technology combusts natural gas with oxygen, instead of air, and uses supercritical carbon dioxide as a working fluid to drive a turbine instead of steam. NET Power does not produce any nitrogen oxides (NOX), sulfur oxides (SOX) or particulate pollution, and the remaining CO2 is pipeline-quality to either be safely stored in underground geologic formations or utilized for industrial processes. NET Power produces only electricity, liquid water, and pipeline-ready CO2, while operating at high-efficiency, comparable to conventional power plants. Toshiba supplied the combustor and turbine for the La Porte test facility and was a key partner in the demonstration of NET Power's technology.

No idea if it's a good idea or not but I like seeing new approaches being tested out.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't had time to follow random energy things but I hadn't heard of this coming online until just now:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/net-power-delivers-electricity-to-grid-in-major-technological-breakthrough-301425894.html

No idea if it's a good idea or not but I like seeing new approaches being tested out.

The La Porte plant here is genuinely revolutionary, inasmuch as it's a wholly new generation cycle that uses CO2 as the working fluid. It's great for CCS, but this test plant isn't actually connected to a carbon store it's part of the problem, alas.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Some movement in Small Modular Reactors (SMR). On nov 4 an agreement was signed for NuScale to build their first SMR in... Romania. The 6-module 462 MWe power plant may be completed by 2028. There's an overview of the amusing geopolitics that led to this - the US is apparently keenly interested in Romanian energy security.

The BBC published an article about some other SMRs yesterday.

The small nuclear power plants billed as an energy fix posted:

"We'll likely have more accidents than existing reactors because it's a new technology, but these will be accidents and not disasters," says Troels Schonfeldt, co-founder of Denmark's Seaborg Technologies.

His nuclear power company is one of several developing a new generation of smaller nuclear power plants.

Like others in the industry, Mr Schonfeldt wants to address fears over safety.

In Seaborg's case their reactors will be housed on floating barges and use molten salt to moderate reactions.

Mr Schonfeldt argues that this set-up and location means large-scale disasters, perhaps caused by a terrorist attack, simply aren't possible.

"If a terrorist bombs the reactor and the salt sprays everywhere, then it solidifies and stays. You go and clean it up," he says.

"It's a very, very different scenario to bombing an existing reactor, where you'd have a gas cloud that wouldn't be contained on your own continent and would basically cause an international disaster."

Seaborg's modular power barges can generate between 200MW and 800MW of electricity - enough to power up to 1.6 million homes.

The makers of these smaller reactors also claim that as well as being safer, they will be much less expensive than their larger cousins.

Traditionally, building large nuclear power stations involves taking components to a huge building site and assembling the reactor there. But these new so-called modular designs can fit together like jigsaws and largely be assembled in factories, making for a much simpler construction project.

That's certainly the hope at Rolls-Royce, which has just received a £210m grant from the UK government and a £195m cash injection from a consortium of investors, to develop its own small modular reactor (SMR).

This means that 90% of a Rolls-Royce SMR power plant could be built, or assembled, in factory conditions.

"So you build, in our case, probably three factories. In these factories you create and assemble components. And these modules are then put on the back of trucks," says SMR chief engineer, Matt Blake.

"The limiting factor for the size of the reactor was - what is the largest single component that can go on the back of a truck?"

At an expected cost of around £2bn each, the Rolls Royce SMR would cost a tenth of the £23bn bill for the UK's newest nuclear power station at Hinkley Point in Somerset.

Each Rolls-Royce SMR will have a capacity of 470MW - so enough electricity to power one million homes.

As many as 16 SMRs might be built dotted around the UK, with the first planned to come online in 10 years' time: eight sites have been identified.

"We're the size of two football pitches and we're more akin to an Amazon warehouse in terms of disruption than a Hinkley Point, so that should open up a broader range of siting opportunities," says Mr Blake.

Rolls-Royce hopes their reactors will not just supply the National Grid. It thinks other customers like data centres, and firms producing hydrogen and synthetic aviation fuel, will be interested too.

It is also hoping to sell its reactors abroad, with their smaller size an advantage.

"SMRs are different in that financing will be simpler - putting together financing for £2bn is obviously a lot simpler than 10 times that," adds Mr Blake.

Based in California, Radiant Nuclear's ambitious tagline is 'making nuclear more portable' and it wants to shrink nuclear power plants down even further.

It says it is developing a reactor the size of a shipping container, that could be easily transported by truck.

The project is still in the very early stages, with the company planning a fuelled demonstration in 2026 and units in production by 2028.

But Radiant does not see its reactors competing for market share with the big power plants that connect to the energy grid.

Instead "it's in direct competition with the diesel generators that you'd use for back-up power, or one you'd use in a remote off-grid location," says the company's chief executive Doug Bernauer.

"That's anywhere you need back-up power, such as data centres, hospitals or military bases."

However, anti-nuclear campaigners are not persuaded or reassured by safety claims coming from new entrants to the nuclear power market.

"SMRs will still be vulnerable to nuclear accidents and terror attacks; they risk nuclear proliferation, and can produce more nuclear waste than conventional reactors per unit of electricity," says Kate Hudson, director general of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

Mr Blake from Rolls-Royce says the process for dealing with nuclear waste is well established: "Spent fuel is retained at the site and will be processed in the same way as a standard PWR (pressurised water reactor), like Sizewell or any other site"

"It will be held at the site, and eventually transferred to Sellafield, or a geological disposal facility deep underground," he explains.

The proponents of small nuclear plants say their technology will be necessary to meet an expected doubling of demand for electricity in the UK from consumers by 2050.

But Ms Hudson is still sceptical: "It is an unproven and untested technology that will still cost the taxpayer unspecified, and likely large, amounts of money."

"Even with the most ambitious timescale," she adds. "We will have to wait 10 years for an SMR to produce energy, when renewable alternatives and energy efficiency programmes are available now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Owling Howl posted:

Some movement in Small Modular Reactors (SMR). On nov 4 an agreement was signed for NuScale to build their first SMR in... Romania. The 6-module 462 MWe power plant may be completed by 2028. There's an overview of the amusing geopolitics that led to this - the US is apparently keenly interested in Romanian energy security.

The BBC published an article about some other SMRs yesterday.

I want to highlight one quote

quote:

However, anti-nuclear campaigners are not persuaded or reassured by safety claims coming from new entrants to the nuclear power market.

"SMRs will still be vulnerable to nuclear accidents and terror attacks; they risk nuclear proliferation, and can produce more nuclear waste than conventional reactors per unit of electricity," says Kate Hudson, director general of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

This is pretty stupid take: There has yet to have been a successful attempt on a nuclear power station by terrorists, proliferation risks are true of any nuclear power solution, which is why strong global agreements and inspections are critical, and the alternative is continued fossil fuel use.

Not to mention even counting Chernobyl and Fukushima, nuclear accidents have accounts for very little in the way of deaths.