Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Macaluso posted:

Also I have to wonder how they're gonna go forward now with Jinx as a character. I think they went places with her where you can't simply have her be Junkrat anymore (yes I know Jinx came first, but it's the best character comparison I've got). I'm curious if anything will be different there or if they'll just have her be the crazy wacky shooty explody girl.

My personal read on the scene is that she, in her own way, embraced Silco's ideals: "The base violence necessary for change", by becoming Jinx fully. So, I'm banking on deeply disturbed revolutionary as her character trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I had no idea Sting was singing the song at the end of Episode 9. I barely reconized his voice.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Really nuts how big Riot's gotten. Back in like season 2 of League of Legends, 2012 they had enough money to hire Wes Borland to do some guitar covers, now they can bankroll a Sting song lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw a YouTube comment that made me laugh on the Get Jinxed video that was something along the lines of "remember when we were all 'ha ha' cute symbol clapping monkey and now we're :ohdear:."

It has been interesting to watch the (rapid) evolution of Jinx from LoL's Harley Quinn/Deadpool to... well... vague gesture in Arcane's direction. Even in the Runeterra CCG they did stories in the PvE mode for the main Arcane champions and Vi's is about her and Vi having a wild brawl but hugging it out after.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Servaetes posted:

Really nuts how big Riot's gotten. Back in like season 2 of League of Legends, 2012 they had enough money to hire Wes Borland to do some guitar covers, now they can bankroll a Sting song lol

I remember the season 1 world championship in some janky dark room at dreamhack, and people’s minds getting blown that the stream had passed 100k viewers. Who could have imagined this is where the LoL universe would be 10 years later.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ahhhhhh arcane was so good and now I can't wait for season 2

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What an incredible series. It's been a long, long time since anything's left me feeling as emotionally raw as that; episode 9 was like a buzzsaw to the gut. Never thought the writers could get me to feel bad for Silco, but they managed it.

Arcane completely exceeded my expectations. I was looking for it to be an enjoyable watch that would lead to more stories in Runeterra, but they somehow went and made what's easily in my top 5 shows ever. I'm loving praying they keep this quality up for season 2, because I think they might've caught lightning in a bottle if they do.

Monicro posted:

cait and vi not kissing is suboptimal but again, season 2

The announcement of a second season made me completely okay with it. It definitely would've been weird and felt forced with the way they've set up the story to keep going, and the amount of straight-up text they've written into part 3 (probably the highest amount of affectionate face touching in animation in decades) is more than enough to keep me happy for the next two years or however long it's gonna take.

Dawgstar posted:

That is the big thing that didn't sit well once I'd had a moment to process everything.

It's understandable with the context surrounding it. At that point in the story, Vi's sole focus is making Silco pay. She feels abandoned by everyone and is forced to team up with some dude she barely knows (and, as shown post-fight, barely tolerates) to try and get it. She's numb to the fact that a kid died in their raid because she's being consumed by her need to keep the cycle of violence going, so much so that she goes on what's basically a suicide mission to the Last Drop solely to try and take him out.

One thing I'm a little surprised by is that Jayce having briefly seen Vi before his lab exploded is never brought up, even though it's shown from his perspective that he saw her fleeing. I guess there's a lotta pink-haired kids in Runeterra, but you think he'd at least say, "Do I know you from somewhere?"

Asema posted:

I could gush about that fight scene in episode 7 so much that is a literal masterpiece of animation

The episode 7 fight easily sets the bar to beat for CGI. I've never seen anything with that much style and punch before.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 21, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of my favourite things about the Jinx Ekko fight is the complex series of emotions that runs through Jinx's face when Ekko starts twitching his watch.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

The announcement of a second season made me completely okay with it. It definitely would've been weird and felt forced with the way they've set up the story to keep going, and the amount of straight-up text they've written into part 3 (probably the highest amount of affectionate face touching in animation in decades) is more than enough to keep me happy for the next two years or however long it's gonna take.

Yeah the fact that it goes past even the cartoonishly overt subtext and becomes a literal plot point in act 3 (with jinx realizing they had feelings for eachother ["it's just a goodbye hug!"] and becoming murderously jealous) is good enough for me for now. Hopefully the absolute avalanche of fanfiction season 1 is presumably about to summon will be enough to keep me held over until then

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 21, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

One of my favourite things about the Jinx Ekko fight is the complex series of emotions that runs through Jinx's face when Ekko starts twitching his watch.

There is nothing more that I want right now than a Making Of for Arcane. I know they probably mocapped some parts, but the detail and variety of emotions everyone showed off all series long is loving mindblowing. There's so much subtle movement everywhere. I went back and watched the scene where Cait and Vi are lounging on the bed, and when Vi says, "Like [this bed], except maybe half this size," you can see Cait's eyes flicker away with guilt and shame. Like, gently caress, man! Would even a live action show have that kinda acting?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

This. It felt like Ekko was her only friend, the only guy who considered her as a peer when they were kids (other than Violet).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Someone else pointed it out, and I can't believe I missed it, but kid Viktor is shown hobbling to try and catch up with his toy boat. When augmented adult Viktor is shown running for the first time, he speeds past all the boats in the background.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arcane is good. The only real problems I had with the last act:

There were perhaps more bathing/shower/shirtless scenes than were strictly necessary.
Sky is the most fridged woman since Kyle Rayner's girlfriend.
The ending is a massive cliffhanger and I need to wait for years to get the next bit.

Other than that, Arcane is good, and Caitlyn and Vi want to kiss each other. That is all.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I did think it was pretty funny that in a show with jinx, caitlyn, etc, the character the show was horniest for by far was jayce

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monicro posted:

I did think it was pretty funny that in a show with jinx, caitlyn, etc, the character the show was horniest for by far was jayce

bold of you to say this when viktor was in the show

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vermain posted:

There is nothing more that I want right now than a Making Of for Arcane. I know they probably mocapped some parts, but the detail and variety of emotions everyone showed off all series long is loving mindblowing. There's so much subtle movement everywhere. I went back and watched the scene where Cait and Vi are lounging on the bed, and when Vi says, "Like [this bed], except maybe half this size," you can see Cait's eyes flicker away with guilt and shame. Like, gently caress, man! Would even a live action show have that kinda acting?

Caitlyn's little twitchy eye movements when she's standing over her stringboard of clues was my favorite, I think.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arcane is GOATed. Just finished all 3 episodes of Act 3 and I eagerly await the next season. Just a heads up, one of the executives at RIOT said we should not expect the next season in 2022. Hopefully it can land in early 2023. They might have made a mistake in doing this so loving good though because I just couldn't take something less good than this. I want MORE shows but I want them all to be this loving gorgeous and well made.

I did like how they said they want to do TV, but they don't want anyone else to control them. They want to do it their way. If this is their way then get the gently caress out of the way hollywood. I believe it was Asema who mentioned early in the thread that it looks like people are creating the show who are not buried deep in the hollywood cliches and stuff and how it shows in the writing and I agree. I want them to just make good stories, without worrying about what demo they need to hit or whatever.

I wonder if Sky went to the Void or if she really did just get dusted. That was an incredible and gut wrenching scene. So many gut wrenching scenes in this show.

I want to see the continuation of this storyline but goddamn I want them to show off more of Runeterra, and bring other great characters in.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't have the head for the click to move MOBAs. The only one I was ever good at was Smite. Now, though, I have LoR and Ruined King, there's a fighting game coming out, whatever the MMO is, so they're actually becoming Riot GameS.

With league its less than its a MOBA and more that each match you are stuck for half an hour with 4 hateful strangers like its a prison from cult classic Cube

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Vermain posted:

They do so many little moments to flesh out the characters and the world in this. One of my favourites is when Sevika kills the Chembaron and you see for a moment that Silco was actually scared it would be his head to roll. The easy thing would have been to have him be unflinching as the puppet master in complete control, making a witty one liner as the blade flashed. But by showing that Sevika had the choice to stab him in the back, they both knew that, but chose not to out of loyalty tells so much story in an instant.

The storytelling is as impressive as the animation in this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/niiicolo/status/1462225669551575042

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My only exposure to LoL has been K/DA and I love them. I now also love Arcane. This show was wild. Went in not knowing what to expect and I'm left completely invested in the characters and story. Can't wait for season 2 and more Vi and Cait :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, Ekko is pretty much Peter Pan right? living in a tree house with the lost boys when not flying out fighting baddies and probably going to be forever young in season 2 when they go into his time powers huh

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 21, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Would that make Heimerdinger Tinkerbell? Heimerdingerbell?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
speaking of which I'm so glad for the Heimer redemption arc, I thought they were just going to do away with him

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The little scene of him making the girl a top out of the nuts and bolts was very cute. I would've liked to have seen more of him experiencing Zaun first hand.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Macaluso posted:

The little scene of him making the girl a top out of the nuts and bolts was very cute. I would've liked to have seen more of him experiencing Zaun first hand.

I was convinced they were going to have Heimer come back to the council with some allies from Zaun and save everyone’s rear end at the last minute. But it turns out he is just an old, out of touch, genius with a good heart. Shows how much the old Hollywood tropes have been programmed in me.

Asema posted:

bold of you to say this when viktor was in the show

Jayce had some strong ‘80s Tony Stark after-he-resolves-to-become-Iron-Man vibes going on in those forge scenes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you want to try out some Arcane-related games, skip LOL but Legends of Runeterra's new PVE roguelike deckbuilder mode is very fun.

There's also Ruined King. I haven't played it, but the devs' previous game was a fairly simple western-made JRPG with nice art, and it sounds like this one is very similar.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

I can’t believe we’re getting another season before the end of the year!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the writers posted some interesting stuff on the Vi/Caitlyn thing.

It's weird they thought Vi would be 'subtle.'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I saw that on Twitter last night. The normalizing of different body types and sexualities through the use of diegetic language is another great subversion of the sort of writing you usually see surrounding representation in popular media, and I take it as a great comfort moving forwards that the debate over, "You're hot, cupcake," was over whether or not Vi would be more guarded and standoffish with an Enforcer she just met, and not over whether she genuinely thinks Cait's a piece of work.

I'm really glad they're handling the whole relationship with both openness and tact. Like the writer said, it's all too common for lesbian romance to be buried in mounds of subtext and ambiguity, so to have them be so very clearly and obviously into eachother without the writers overplaying their hand is a highly welcome change from the norm.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It seems like they initially wanted it to be subtle and then this writer fought hard to be like "no" because it's not even a little bit subtle now

Riot they better smooch in season 2 :argh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

It seems like they initially wanted it to be subtle and then this writer fought hard to be like "no" because it's not even a little bit subtle now

Riot they better smooch in season 2 :argh:

Not fully up to date on the show, but I suspect a lot of this is down to Tencent and Chinese distribution; there's nothing in the seven episodes I've seen that couldn't be vanished as easily a line from a Bond film, or a photograph from a Star Trek, or whatever.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I saw a YouTube comment that made me laugh on the Get Jinxed video that was something along the lines of "remember when we were all 'ha ha' cute symbol clapping monkey and now we're :ohdear:."

It has been interesting to watch the (rapid) evolution of Jinx from LoL's Harley Quinn/Deadpool to... well... vague gesture in Arcane's direction. Even in the Runeterra CCG they did stories in the PvE mode for the main Arcane champions and Vi's is about her and Vi having a wild brawl but hugging it out after.

No it does the same thing where if you kidnap Caitlin instead of ransoming her off vi chooses her again, jinx gets angry and blows everything up, including the doll

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not fully up to date on the show, but I suspect a lot of this is down to Tencent and Chinese distribution; there's nothing in the seven episodes I've seen that couldn't be vanished as easily a line from a Bond film, or a photograph from a Star Trek, or whatever.

The discussion she mentions sounds far more like them wondering how open they wanted to make Vi with her attraction when the two of them had known eachother for a day and while Vi had an (understandably) low opinion of Enforcers. It's extremely explicit in part 3 that they've got it bad for eachother; while you could maybe excise some of the affectionate face touching and handholding, I don't see any way to cut out Cait sitting in the shower picturing Vi walking away from her in reverse while she bites her lip to the sound of an anguished violin without it affecting the pacing, tone, and plot progression.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nikumatic posted:

I can’t believe we’re getting another season before the end of the year!!

Neither can I...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Another detail I picked up on in episode 8 I'm astonished they bothered to think about, or even had the tech to pull off. When Cait is talking to Vi in the rain, they obviously intend for some of the rain drops falling on her face to mimic tears without her explicitly crying. But watch her eyes after Vi says the two of them will never work:

They made the highlights shift down flat to show she's on the verge of tears.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I appreciated in the scene with Caitlyn in a nightgown they didn't draw her as a waif. She had significantly muscular arms which would make sense as she's an enforcer.

Also so next season... its going to be Zaum and Noxus involved... now who do we know from Noxus that ends up in Zaum?

"You do not know strength, until you are broken."

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

CeeJee posted:

They do so many little moments to flesh out the characters and the world in this. One of my favourites is when Sevika kills the Chembaron and you see for a moment that Silco was actually scared it would be his head to roll. The easy thing would have been to have him be unflinching as the puppet master in complete control, making a witty one liner as the blade flashed. But by showing that Sevika had the choice to stab him in the back, they both knew that, but chose not to out of loyalty tells so much story in an instant.

The storytelling is as impressive as the animation in this.

I had the same thought in that scene. I'm generally super impressed with how this show uses cliches. The main thrust of the story is very by-the-numbers and especially the first half is really predictable, but it's pretty clear this doesn't stem from a lack of imagination. It's a tool; to maintain the breakneck narrative pace and let the animation do a lot of the heavy lifting they need to hit very familiar story beats. At the same time, like in this scene, they work hard to avoid cheap shots and cliches in the details, and the moment-to-moment execution is insanely precise and considered.

It's comfort food cooked by a Michelin star chef. Undemanding, easy to digest, universally appealing with little to no attempt at originality on the whole, but made so skillfully and with so much attention to detail that you can't help but be impressed.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I went it not really expecting much out of a Netflix animated joint. But yeah, as the story progressed and escalated, I was genuinely taken aback by how good the writing and world building was. The character work is phenomenal. That the show is so stunningly beautiful elevates its meaty narrative further.