Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

FishMcCool posted:

Yoga career confirmed.

Star yoga is nearly indistinguishable from the usual logic pretzels citizens twist themselves into

https://i.imgur.com/Jf7V5lW.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

the Peter Gabriel memorial avatar for commemorating excellence in commitment to self harm

The install location from where all my videos burst forth seems fitting ha ha

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Khanstant posted:

yo guy who just tried the game first time, how easy was it to uninstall? I'm so tempted to poke around myself to fuel my star citizen gameplay on reddit but i really let these comments about its shittiness to my computer go to my head

You can use the uninstaller to uninstall the launcher but the game files hang around.

I just deleted that folder. I'm sure it left some other bullshit in my registry or services.

Another cool thing from my wasted hours of my weekend was star Citizen really likes to make your controller vibrate even if you're using KBM. Everytime I jumped the controller would spaz out for 5-10 seconds. I had to disable vibrate.

Overall I'm just annoyed the game stole free time from my weekend

.random
May 7, 2007

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

I have a solution for you! It’s no longer free time if you’re paying for it :downs: buy an Idris!

thank you for your sacrifice, commando

.random fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 20, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
actually, it is investing free time

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Free time: now available in NFT format.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

One in the Bum posted:

If the aging keeps up, this dude is going to be long dead before SC actually releases.

Maybe it's a Picture of Dorian Gray situation; somehow, the festering heart of Star Citizen's codebase has managed to keep itself functional, but all of its many sins and overall dissolution is shown visibly on its character models. Random NPCs twist into pretzels, entire torsos disappear into butts, this sad off-brand Jeremy Clarkson ages at ten times the normal rate. But instead of keeping this horror sensibly hidden from the eyes of polite society, CIG puts it right out in the open.

I can't wait until the stars are right and the squamous non-Euclidean horror of the ship pipelines is revealed to the world. Iä Quanta! Crobblers ftagn! Iä! Iä!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

You can use the uninstaller to uninstall the launcher but the game files hang around.

I just deleted that folder. I'm sure it left some other bullshit in my registry or services.

Another cool thing from my wasted hours of my weekend was star Citizen really likes to make your controller vibrate even if you're using KBM. Everytime I jumped the controller would spaz out for 5-10 seconds. I had to disable vibrate.

thanks goonfriend.

Pm me with your Av or gangtag request and I'll make it happen.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I didn't have any trouble, but if it is a genuine risk then fair enough, the game really is extremely bad so I wouldn't want people to damage their installs for my idle amusement

Speaking of that though, does anyone have a idea for an av or gang tag I can give to goons who touched the star poop

does anyone have a pic of shap cap? good ol shap cap would make a neat store citizer avatar

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm so glad I never got suckered into this whole trainwreck. It's just one of those “that could've been me” things.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

peter gabriel posted:

The install location from where all my videos burst forth seems fitting ha ha

star citizen isn't worth wasting even one byte of an ssd :sad:/

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

sebmojo posted:

thanks goonfriend.

Pm me with your Av or gangtag request and I'll make it happen.

done, thanks friend

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Star Citizen hits 6 million funded, all stretch goals reached!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/13gil3/star_citizen_hits_6_million_funded_all_stretch/

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=724e1wZWz1o

Was this post here at all when it was first made? It just came up as a recommended video for me on YouTube and loving LMFAO at how salty this guy is.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nine loving years ago:

quote:

I forgot to get in on this and now it's too late :(

quote:

you will still be able to pledge money. The only difference from initially pledging is that your ship will not have unlimited insurance.

quote:

What is unlimited insurance?

9 years and we still don't really know :iiam:

quote:

So bummed I missed out on funding this.

quote:

GO NOW: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/ Grace period! I hope you'll make it in time.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

Nine loving years ago:

9 years and we still don't really know :iiam:

Ahahaha holy poo poo

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

trucutru posted:

Nine loving years ago:

quote:

you will still be able to pledge money.

Probably only prediction about SC that came out true.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lesnick years ago came out to quell the whole LTI debate on the forums.

Said it means jack squat, and ended up making GBS threads on everyone that bought it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I still don't understand why Citizens just don't peep Elite. It's exactly what they're imagining. Better even, because it's probably more fun.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sure Elite has a functional spaceship flying system and actual stuff to do (although it's extremely bland and boring but like at least it's there) but does it have janitors? No? Then buy an Idris, chump.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Woohoo, just passed the $400m milestone.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-20-star-citizen-crosses-the-usd400m-raised-mark

I invite all goons to a celebratory party on the entertainment deck of my Idris. Canapés served at 1800 hours space time, served by refudian plebs wearing only jock straps. Then to be followed by 4 hours of opera which as rich sophisticated backers we all universally love. Dress code: top hat and monocle.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I only have a plastic bag.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Remember that the money raised counts 4x because there's no publisher overhead and the time spent counts 3x because with different time zones cig is working on the game around the clock

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Edit. This isn't the Simpsons thread.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SC has no goals anymore, but there sure is a lot of stretching.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Theotus posted:

I still don't understand why Citizens just don't peep Elite. It's exactly what they're imagining. Better even, because it's probably more fun.

Nah, Elite isn't anything like what the Citizens are imagining.

For one thing, it's an actual game rather than a tier-zero alpha software development project, which means that you have to actually play it if you want to be part of it. That's a deal-breaker in all kinds of ways, because not only do most Citizens enjoy wanting to want to play a game more than actually playing one, the fact that Elite is finished means they can't pretend its flaws are just placeholders waiting for some magical technological breakthrough to happen before they're swapped out for the real game mechanics. They can't dream about how one day Elite will let them sip bespoke cocktails at an opera house while a news van hovers outside the window filming them, or how they'll stand in the command center of their capital ship directing a hundred other players in a massive combat using a real-time strategy interface, or how they'll have to run to their space bathroom to take a shower before going to the seedy dockside bar to pick up a mission from a man who only talks to spacemen with good hygiene, because Elite's already made it clear it's never going to do any of that. It doesn't even have a storefront where you can fork over giant piles of cash in order to skip over the boring "playing the game" phase and get right to the "I have a fleet of warships and am Very Important and therefore everyone will admire me" part that the Star Citizen whales are interested in.

A lesser game developer would have, y'know, just made a game and moved on to a new project, but CIG realized early on that they'd captured lightning in a bottle -- customers who were more interested in paying to believe in a game than they would ever be in actually having a game -- and they made a decision to cater to that.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Jl5WnoVpA

"I’ve lost my way" "It’s not even about the ships any more"

Leaves horrible mess behind him

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
You have to wonder at some point if suing CIG will be a thing. So obviously a massive scam.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You have to wonder at some point if suing CIG will be a thing. So obviously a massive scam.

Unless it's one of their investors/creditors suing them, I doubt any lawsuits would go anywhere; besides all the "you're only giving us money for development and we don't have to give you a goddamn thing, let alone the thing all the text above says we're going to give you" verbiage on their store, I don't think we live in the kind of world where courts will side with a gaggle of ordinary chumps rather than a business, no matter how massive the scam was. You only get in trouble for grifting the rich and powerful.

And as far as their investors go, even if guys like Calder are rich chumps who believed every word of CIG's pitch, whatever deal they signed is probably laced with clauses that let them minimize/make up for their potential losses. I dunno if they'd even bother with a lawsuit, or if a bankrupt CIG would bother trying to fight one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

There are 3 sections to Squadron 42 that we know of Episode 1, 2 and 3. The working title for Episode 2 used to be 'Behind Enemy Lines'.

It would not surprise me if they made standalone games for ToW, Arena Commander and Star Marine - they have outsourced this work to Firestrike Studios - they have experience with consoles too.

The game universe and all the assets in it have already been created so that many stories can be told -it's not just the navy, there is the army, the marines - astro-medics, politicians and trillionaire business types. A never ending possibility of more stories to come both as interactive experiences and viewable non-interactive. Chris did own a fairly successful film production company. The Reliant MAKO has a video editing suite and can stream to the Spectrum, you saw it in Jax's last video. There are in-lore Spectrum shows like news and entertainment, you'll be able to access these outside of the game too on portable devices.

No-one has ever seen anything quite like what they are planning, it's never been done before.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mirificus posted:

No-one has ever seen anything quite like what they are planning, it's never been done before.

[...]

it's not just the navy, there is the army, the marines - astro-medics, politicians and trillionaire business types

The creativity! Never been done before!

Not sure why boring politicians though, why not astro-politicians?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Theotus posted:

Because Elite is a real game, with real restraints. Star Citizen exists only as a mangled alpha (which can be ignored because "It's alpha!") and the game they've built in their heads. Unsurprisingly the game that they imagine Star Citizen will become just happens to be their dream game.

This is why Star Citizen will never release or even hit any state considered "final". As soon as CIG releases something all those dreams will evaporate in the harsh light of reality and the pledges will dry up. Backers will start realizing that all the gameplay, gameplay loops and locations don't suck because they're "tier 0", it's because Star Citizen just plain sucks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

First articles about $400.000.000 came up, found this comment under the Eurogamer news. Noone has to like Star Citizen or even bother, sceptism and critics are always OK, but this would be the right approach imho for news magazines, instead of "so much money and no release date" posted:

quote:

ive said this before but why is there not more coverage or actual journalism on this game? $400m must make it one of if not the biggest project in the games industry and its easily the most polarising game I know of.
Why are we not getting coverage in depth reviews of the actual state of the game/alpha that's available now.
Maybe an opinion piece on the technology they have built or even some interviews with the developers or Chris Roberts himself to get some real answers and balanced opinions on this... or are they just completely radio silent with the press? for a company that claims to be in completely open and transparent development that would almost be a story itself.
If this really is a £400m scam then doesn't the games journalism community have a responsibility to fully expose it?

quote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that, much like traditional journalism and the interests that puppet string their content, at the heart (of the money) of game review sites, we'd find links to "Big Pub"... I suspect they're staying away from this "scam" because any look beyond the surface will reveal that it is, indeed, NOT a scam. And that would mean that "Big Pub" has ACTUAL COMPETITION from essentially an "indie studio" - but an indie studio swinging a $400 million dick around like it's nothing.

Make no mistake: the recipe that has made SC possible scares the living poo poo out of "big pub". Radio silence trumps "any press is good press" - so no press it is!

That's why you aren't hearing about Star Citizen. It's too successful and that makes it too scary to the establishment ...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Coincidentally, $400M over 11 years is less than, say, FDev have made from being an actual game development company. And they even made a profit rather than just pad it with investor cash to cover the constant shortfall.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Tippis posted:

Coincidentally, $400M over 11 years is less than, say, FDev have made from being an actual game development company. And they even made a profit rather than just pad it with investor cash to cover the constant shortfall.

This is true but I'll wager Crobs (pbuh) has access to more and better 'vitamins' than Braben so who really knows who's winning here?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

biglads posted:

This is true but I'll wager Crobs (pbuh) has access to more and better 'vitamins' than Braben so who really knows who's winning here?

Based on behaviour, this certainly sounds likely. Then again, Braben was a celebrity and as close as you got to a rockstar programmer in the 1980s, so I'm sure he's got the hook-ups he needs…

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i signed up for the free fly today and saw these gems before I even downloaded:

What you refundians don't understand is that this game is a massive multimedia franchise spanning multiple ways of not playing, including Watching and Reading. Star Citizer is about the journey, not the destination FUDsters:

But if you do choose to "Play" (btw I'm a busy CEO so I don't have a ton of time to manage my yacht fleet between my vitamins), you can hire a sherpa to show you the ropes:

Apparently signing up to be a guide is strongly correlated with your Investment:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

cmdrk posted:

Apparently signing up to be a guide is strongly correlated with your Investment:

lmao the upper right

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
> Star Citizen: Something wrong happened ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> Star Citizen: Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020
I was 28 when Star Citizen entered pre-production. I turned 40 a few days ago. Everything's fine.