Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Martin Scorsese is cool as hell, so poo poo yeah I'll be like him
I don't think the director of Hugo is mad that Hollywood adapts lots of things... He just said Marvel movies are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kill All Cops posted:

the faye actress only has c cup titties instyead of g cup like the anime

0/10 trash show

Faye face too round :mods:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
would it have KILLED netflix to cast a japanese AV actress with big boobies in the role of faye to match my anime expectations?

0/10 trash show

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was hoping Julia would just kill Vicious and take his place in the narrative. Cuz her wig/hair is better.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I tried giving it a fair chance and saw the first 2 eps and hated it. It just sucks poo poo, adaption or not, and the goons tripping over themselves to spite like it are hilarious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Daniella Pineda is so insanely attractive

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This is much much better than I was led to believe.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kill All Cops posted:

would it have KILLED netflix to cast a japanese AV actress with big boobies in the role of faye to match my anime expectations?

0/10 trash show

"swordfish looks disgusting--landing gear protruding-- on the way to Ganymede. very very disrespectful"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Mengo329/status/1461928498730356736

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I just remembered how they changed the warp gates and now I'm mad. Easy perfect visual in the original show.

Anyway watching the anime now. At least they didn't try to include Old Man Bull.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bushmaori posted:

Let people like things.

I think it's ok to let people not like things also.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

proving how woke i am by turning the gay cis man whose body changed because he was given experimental drugs while in the army nonbinary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
where’s the guy who said the original Jupiter Jazz aged badly

(it didn’t)

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

i cant believe i didnt notice they gave gren a tattoo that just says GENDER

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

where’s the guy who said the original Jupiter Jazz aged badly

(it didn’t)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

so?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
The only living human that could have pulled off Faye correctly is Anya Taylor-Joy... but her agent probably politely told the producers that Anya wasn't interested in reading lines like, "DICK TWINKIES" and "gently caress BALLS" so, whatever.

As for the show... the music is the only redeeming quality and I'm glad there is a lot of it.

The script uses four times the amount of dialogue compared with the anime but only manages to accomplish a quarter as much for it.

Taking the viewer to a Jovian moon populated by predominantly male laborers and introducing us to characters like this... and all have it be background and normalized was part of the anime's genius.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 21, 2021

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My expectations were so low but so far (first episode) it’s been alright. There’s some cringe stuff that doesn’t translate well to live action but it hasn’t been terrible.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is tviv cisplaining again

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jupiter Jazz owns so much and I will hear no word otherwise.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Martman posted:

I don't think the director of Hugo is mad that Hollywood adapts lots of things...

He's said Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and afraid of new ideas.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow the ending of the first episode they changed the ending of Katerina blasting a coked up Asimov to Asimov already dead

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I think the way the shoved "Road to the West" in the red eye episode in-between some original song composed for the fight on TJ is a straight up crime and everyone working on the show should be punished.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

zooted heh posted:

I think the way the shoved "Road to the West" in the red eye episode in-between some original song composed for the fight on TJ is a straight up crime and everyone working on the show should be punished.

i've only watched the first episode and i thught this was strange, since it is the standout moment of the original episode. i figured they must be cutting the actual ship chase - but no, a version of it happens and they don't play it or reprise the song there either. just strange, and the way it was done had zero emotional impact. why not play it as she's deciding to kill herself and we watch the ship blow up?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ChazTurbo posted:

I tried giving it a fair chance and saw the first 2 eps and hated it. It just sucks poo poo, adaption or not, and the goons tripping over themselves to spite like it are hilarious.

it's this. it's a bad adaptation, and it's alright to say things like that. goodbye

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

So did I miss something when Pierrot Le Fou quoted the monologue from Blade Runner in the middle of the episode? Like, was it implying that he knew was was going to die in his fight with Spike or did the writer just need to have him say something, and who doesn't like Blade Runner, right? Remember Blade Runner?

Overall, there were a lot of weird, bad decisions made here, but I found it to be watchable. I liked Jet a lot which is weird because I always thought he was the least interesting character in the anime.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

zooted heh posted:

The music is undoubtedly the best thing the show has going for it but the ham-fisted way the show runners cram familiar tracks into scenes adds to the sense that it's just an amateur production.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Me, watching Cowboy Bebop (2021): this is stupid but i weirdly like what it's trying to do

Me, rewatching Cowboy Bebop (1998): this is a loving masterpiece of the highest caliber and the Netflix show is an abomination. Ignore my previous posts.

If any anime is primed for a live action adaptation in the modern era, it's probably Cowboy Bebop. The themes of the show have only become more relevant with time. But instead of, ya know, adapting the source material, it feels like they're parodying it.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

roomtone posted:

i've only watched the first episode and i thught this was strange, since it is the standout moment of the original episode. i figured they must be cutting the actual ship chase - but no, a version of it happens and they don't play it or reprise the song there either. just strange, and the way it was done had zero emotional impact. why not play it as she's deciding to kill herself and we watch the ship blow up?

Also, why change her character to the daughter of some big shot?

The original worked so well because she was just a pretty face with a dream of going to Mars. She was caught up with Asimov because she thought he was her ticket off of TJ and on to a better life.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

i enjoyed the original bebop despite moments of awkwardness and cringe. and i'm doing that with this one too

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant believe these maniacs pulled the 1:1 ed trigger

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just finished it. Sucked but it made me want to watch the anime to clear the taste from my mouth.

Lol people itt pretending this is getting three seasons. It's the Watch 2 electric boogaloo

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This show is rear end compared to the anime but still watchable in small doses. No where near the stinker that Foundation turned out to be. Off to WOT

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I enjoyed it but I can see why people didn’t. I hope they give it a second season but I doubt that will happen because of all the negative press.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gohmak posted:

This show is rear end compared to the anime but still watchable in small doses. No where near the stinker that Foundation turned out to be. Off to WOT

I’m curious how it would hace played out if they had done weekly releases. Arcane’a 3 every weekend was fantastic for letting you digest them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's been a long time since I watched the anime so I can't remember a lot of things from it, so I'm kind of just judging this on its own.

It's okay. The writing and pacing kinda sucks, but all three leads do a really good job and are all charming so they make a lot of stuff work.

If they get a second season, hopefully the writing and pacing can improve and we can get some more humor and time with all three leads bouncing off each other.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like a problem with this season is they've already poisoned the water a bit by taking some of the good storylines from the anime and just making them bad.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like a problem with this season is they've already poisoned the water a bit by taking some of the good storylines from the anime and just making them bad.

Cowboy Andy when?

Also episode 1 is by far the worst of the season.

Episode 5 (Jets Backstory) is an absolute delight.

The rest fall from weird and bad to ok I guess. Except the Faye meets the gal who stole her identity. That one was pretty good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skeletome posted:

netflix: adapt a classic anime by making it spy kids but written by joss whedon

goons: I enjoy this :) it's better than fisting myself :) the original also had faye say 'hey SHITFUCKS who's ready to get ASSBLASTED in the FARTZONE'

Translator note: "keikaku" means "ASSBLASTED in the FARTZONE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just watched the first episode and this seems totally fine. I'd firmly rank it "above average" based on just this episode, keeping in mind that there's a lot of awful poo poo out there. I may watch the next episode even. Good music, cool action, colorful sets.

I really don't understand anyone getting a hate boner over this, maybe because it's been a decade since I've seen the anime.