Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

considering half their recent posts are getting mad about "fat neon-haired leftists" and the thinly-veiled antivaxx nonsense about "why are we risking childrens' lives, we don't know the long-term risks inherent for the vaccine"

probably!

Not thinly-veiled at all.

Here are two truths: I have voluntarily taken more vaccines than you, and probably everyone reading this (I've all the normal ones, plus yellow fever, plus rabies).

I am definitely not going to get the covid vaccine until more long-term safety data is available.

My kids are LOL never getting a vaccine that works for like 3 months (seriously--efficacy falls to 26% for pfizer after 4 months lol) for a disease that poses 0 risk to them.

But I get it, you bought what the TV said.

Wanna know what's great? Other than literally here covid doesn't exist in my neck of the world. No restrictions! Woo!

But, yea, have fun with injecting your kids with experimental drugs for diseases they won't notice if they get. :hug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

knulla posted:

Here are two truths: I have voluntarily taken more vaccines than you, and probably everyone reading this (I've all the normal ones, plus yellow fever, plus rabies).

I am definitely not going to get the covid vaccine until more long-term safety data is available.

My kids are LOL never getting a vaccine that works for like 3 months (seriously--efficacy falls to 26% for pfizer after 4 months lol) for a disease that poses 0 risk to them.

Wanna know what's great? Other than literally here covid doesn't exist in my neck of the world. No restrictions! Woo!

But, yea, have fun with injecting your kids with experimental drugs for diseases they won't notice if they get. :hug:

No one cares. You aren't convincing anyone here.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

knulla posted:

Lol. I've had 2 whole extra vaccines, I'm an expert now! Those extras aren't all that rare, get your head out of your rear end.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the choice was between a vaccine that works for 3 months and is nearly free of any side effects or risks, or one that provides lifetime sterilizing immunity but has a high likelihood of causing significant immediate negative consequences. we went with the former, ideally you'd get to pick between the two but that isn't an option, but every single last person needs to be immunized as often as possible and we can do it at gunpoint if that's what it takes. then we also need to keep the outbreaks under control, which means sporadic rolling lockdowns.

This is a rational policy position. Any policy position that doesn't end with covid being eliminated, like we successfully did with polio a half a century ago, is a cowardly denialist waste of time and should be treated with the deep disdain that it deserves

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stereotype posted:

the choice was between a vaccine that works for 3 months and is nearly free of any side effects or risks, or one that provides lifetime sterilizing immunity but has a high likelihood of causing significant immediate negative consequences. we went with the former, ideally you'd get to pick between the two but that isn't an option

wait, what is the vaccine option that provides lifestime sterilizing immunity with high likelihood of side effects that we could've but didn't pursue?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's the hypothetical one that exists only in his imagination

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
attenuated virus vaccines do that. there's two types of polio vaccines that fit my description

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

That's good news for polio but this is the COVID-19 thread

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

knulla posted:

Unless you're posting from China, this probably isn't true. No restrictions doesn't mean no covid

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stereotype posted:

attenuated virus vaccines do that. there's two types of polio vaccines that fit my description

Why would that give better protection than natural infection with SARS-CoV-2?

A natural polio infection gives lifetime immunity to polio. The attenuated poliovirus vaccine also gives lifetime immunity to polio.

A natural infection of SARS-CoV-2 does not give lifetime sterilizing immunity. Why on earth would you assume an attenuated SARS-CoV-2 vaccine would do that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

A natural polio infection gives lifetime immunity to polio. The attenuated poliovirus vaccine also gives lifetime immunity to polio.

A natural infection of SARS-CoV-2 does not give lifetime sterilizing immunity. Why on earth would you assume an attenuated SARS-CoV-2 vaccine would do that?

You actually need to get a dose at 2,4 and 6 months then a booster a five years old to get lasting polio immunity. One shot and you are done forever shots are rare

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

Surely, my internet research is more worthwhile than the education and experience of actual immunologists, and they've just missed this obvious thing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I looked up the duration of immunity conferred by the rabies vaccine, because I guess I assumed it was an immediate-use prophylactic that probably didn’t last much longer, possibly even shorter than the COVID vaccines. What is it about rabies and its vaccine that makes the vaccine effective for 10+ years? Same for yellow fever. What are some other short-lasting vaccines besides flu?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

dwarf74 posted:

Surely, my internet research is more worthwhile than the education and experience of actual immunologists, and they've just missed this obvious thing

then perhaps the immunologists suggesting this could be linked instead of making unsourced, definitive statements about how we could've made a sterilizing lifetime-lasting SARS-CoV-2 attenuated vaccine but didn't

edit: like, some quick googling shows there are attenuated vaccines in development.

COVI-VAC, for example https://www.pnas.org/content/118/29/e2102775118

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 21, 2021

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mawarannahr posted:

I looked up the duration of immunity conferred by the rabies vaccine, because I guess I assumed it was an immediate-use prophylactic that probably didn’t last much longer, possibly even shorter than the COVID vaccines. What is it about rabies and its vaccine that makes the vaccine effective for 10+ years? Same for yellow fever. What are some other short-lasting vaccines besides flu?

Rabies vax doesn't last that long, at least it didn't for me. Got the pre-exposure version for working with bats... 2 years later and my titers were too low and had to get a booster.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

knulla posted:

Wow a real free thinker here, how about you slink off to freep and never come back to this thread, mmkay?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

What are some other short-lasting vaccines besides flu?
Most vaccines last pretty long, flu is just weird because even limiting to just influenza virus proper (instead of symptom buckets that get labeled 'flu'), it's four not-that related viruses species where the main protein immune antibodies bind to is also easy to change without breaking the virus. You retain immunity to the ones you're vaccinated against, but the surface proteins will change enough that previous antibodies don't work perfectly. Your immune system still works much better than if it were completely novel, just not well enough to have no symptoms (and leftover antibodies from years-ago flus/vaccines will work about as well as a badly misaimed yearly vaccine)

That kind of mutation is generally not a cause of big flu pandemics; those are from another thing influenzas have where their genomes are split into a bunch of structurally independent segments. If you have simultaneous infection by two different species (animal & human), you can end up with hybridized virus that took segments from both and have a big antigen shift instead of a normal little change.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

knulla posted:

Okay boomer.

For what it's worth, I do genuinely hope your kids don't eat long covid consequences for your decisions.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Okay boomer.

For what it's worth, I do genuinely hope your kids don't eat long covid consequences for your decisions.

The seeming improvement of the gene pool isn't worth the deprivation, true enough

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

knulla posted:

Is this the guy whose opinions you’re caping for, OOCC?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

Is this the guy whose opinions you’re caping for, OOCC?

This is the guy that is generated by your Constant hyperbolic vaccine skepticism. Why SHOULD he take the vaccine when you beat the drum nonstop that it does nothing and wears off in days? Even when studies don’t actually say that when they talk about waning.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Not exactly new information but looking at the [url=https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=region%26areaName=London#card-cases_by_specimen_date_age_demographics]case rates in London by age gives an interesting visualisation of vaccine effectiveness and rollout:

You can actually see the vaccine rollout to successively-younger age ranges from summer onwards, then the resurgence in older populations being arrested by the boosters. This is simple test positivity measurement so doesn't given any information on severity - you can dig that data out from the site but unfortunately they don't put it together in a nice heat map like this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Got boosted and flu-shotted yesterday afternoon and one arm is significantly worse than the other, but I don't remember what they stuck in which arm. Which one makes your arm hurt more?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Okay boomer.

waiting for long term safety data on covid infections before I decide to get covid

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is the guy that is generated by your Constant hyperbolic vaccine skepticism. Why SHOULD he take the vaccine when you beat the drum nonstop that it does nothing and wears off in days? Even when studies don’t actually say that when they talk about waning.

Honestly mate the fact that you think these people can be negotiated with or are acting in good faith or from some point of reason and logic says a whole drat lot about you

Edit to be less shitposty: you think that stating facts about how the vaccine helps protect you but isn't all powerful is what drives the ivermectin people? I don't think so. They're not consuming that media. They're consuming constant AM radio nonsense

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 21, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah don't try to use the mommy blogger vaccines = poison guy as a cudgel to assault your posting enemies. If you want to blame anyone, maybe look at the people beating the "covid in kids is NBD" drum. In reality though I don't think this guy was swayed by anyone in this thread and is probably hooked into the natural news pipeline.

Look, if you can't disagree with anyone in here without calling them ANTIVAX then you might as well stay out of the thread. I don't think a bunch of people yelling at people to get their boosters and a thread full of people giving their booster trip reports are the cause of these problems.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

Nah don't try to use the mommy blogger vaccines = poison guy as a cudgel to assault your posting enemies. If you want to blame anyone, maybe look at the people beating the "covid in kids is NBD" drum. In reality though I don't think this guy was swayed by anyone in this thread and is probably hooked into the natural news pipeline.

Look, if you can't disagree with anyone in here without calling them ANTIVAX then you might as well stay out of the thread. I don't think a bunch of people yelling at people to get their boosters and a thread full of people giving their booster trip reports are the cause of these problems.

The idea vaccine waning means it is no longer useful after 3 months has been a harmful concept pushed in this thread for months and was specifically referenced by that guy instead of some autism or poison based reason.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The idea vaccine waning means it is no longer useful after 3 months has been a harmful concept pushed in this thread for months and was specifically referenced by that guy instead of some autism or poison based reason.

You seem to have trouble with reading comprehension as it was a tertiary thing he dropped while being very concerned about long term effects from the covid vaccine. Also believing that covid is harmless to kids. You've pretty much done nothing but snide attacks since you were allowed back into this thread, so either do better or get out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: I can’t add anything to Beetus’ post.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I don’t recall anyone (except that one guy) saying vaccines are useless because they lose efficacy over time. Most people warning of that were very pro vaccine in that they wanted boosters.

The idea that this hurts vaccine uptake is somewhat true, unfortunately, because of laziness, or fear of more needles, or whatever reason. However, it’s not even close to as damaging as the CDC intentionally lying to and misleading people into thinking it was a miracle cure 1 time thing.

Ok ok science changes, but lol if your first observation leads you to proudly exclaim we did it Covid is over, masks off!

I mean I told my wife in April 2020 that yeah we’d get a vaccine but probably have to get it regularly like the flu shot… apparently that wasn’t obvious to the CDC only dumb idiots like myself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Saying that it's antivax to tell people they should get boosters before sucking and loving in a Denny's bathroom because it implies vaccines aren't perfect is the weirdest claim, my god

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember the CDC/FDA joint statement?

quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 8, 2021 Contact: HHS Press Office
202-690-6343
media@hhs.gov
Joint CDC and FDA Statement on Vaccine Boosters

The United States is fortunate to have highly effective vaccines that are widely available for those aged 12 and up. People who are fully vaccinated are protected from severe disease and death, including from the variants currently circulating in the country such as Delta. People who are not vaccinated remain at risk. Virtually all COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths are among those who are unvaccinated. We encourage Americans who have not yet been vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible to protect themselves and their community.

Americans who have been fully vaccinated do not need a booster shot at this time. FDA, CDC, and NIH are engaged in a science-based, rigorous process to consider whether or when a booster might be necessary. This process takes into account laboratory data, clinical trial data, and cohort data – which can include data from specific pharmaceutical companies, but does not rely on those data exclusively. We continue to review any new data as it becomes available and will keep the public informed. We are prepared for booster doses if and when the science demonstrates that they are needed.

I recognized that as reckless at the time. I’m not a master at communications strategy. I merely looked a single move ahead.

Platystemon posted:

Pfizer is poised to present data to the FDA, claiming that their booster is safe and effective. The FDA should be poised to scrutinize this data and, if it checks out, grant emergency use authorization.

Instead, they’re releasing highly unusual reactionary joint statements, saying that Americans do not need a booster “at this time”.

Now, maybe EUA will be issued in a matter of weeks. If it is so, patriots can get their boosters immediately. The stocks are already expiring at the local pharmacy.

Yet even if the EUA isn’t delayed by political thumbs, the FDA and CDC have literally just said that the booster is unnecessary. This will depress uptake when it becomes available, hopefully, again, in a matter of weeks, even if at that point they say “oh actually new data says that a booster is entirely necessary. Run out and get one posthaste!” And I would bet heavily against them making such a strong statement.

Platystemon posted:

CDC’s statement was rash regardless of what secret knowledge they may have.

The National Weather Service doesn’t put out statements about how a tropical storm is nothing at all to worry about it. They say “we’re monitoring it”, they give some details, and they stress that everyone should be alert and prepared to evacuate throughout hurricane season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zenguitarman posted:

Got boosted and flu-shotted yesterday afternoon and one arm is significantly worse than the other, but I don't remember what they stuck in which arm. Which one makes your arm hurt more?

When I got both, the flu shot arm was more sore.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you get your booster yet, OOCC?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

Did you get your booster yet, OOCC?

Sure, I got it without any paranoid or hyperbolic belief about what it would do. Might as well get the best protection available. But I don't hold the incorrect belief that I got a booster because my protection had dropped to zero. As far as I can tell in my age group, without any immunocompromising conditions that pre-booster I may have dropped from 90 to 75% protection from infection, and going by the graphs seem to have had a risk of hospitalization or death that is too statistically small to show up on the graphs that split people with health issues and without. no reason to NOT get the booster, and get that 75% infection protection back up, but also no reason to spread stupid mistruths that vaccines have failed, immunity returns to unvaccinated in 3 months, or any of that garbage. I was well protected before the booster and are even more well protected now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, I got it without any paranoid or hyperbolic belief about what it would do. Might as well get the best protection available. But I don't hold the incorrect belief that I got a booster because my protection had dropped to zero. As far as I can tell in my age group, without any immunocompromising conditions that pre-booster I may have dropped from 90 to 75% protection from infection, and going by the graphs seem to have had a risk of hospitalization or death that is too statistically small to show up on the graphs that split people with health issues and without. no reason to NOT get the booster, and get that 75% infection protection back up, but also no reason to spread stupid mistruths that vaccines have failed, immunity returns to unvaccinated in 3 months, or any of that garbage. I was well protected before the booster and are even more well protected now.

Sounds about right, yes.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I’m very happy to hear you got your booster. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OOCC has been boosted since at least October. I can see how one might think otherwise because it didn’t slow his crusade against the bandits, but he has mentioned it before.

I mean it’s better than the inverse of not getting boosted but also not trolling, but I don’t see the appeal of continuing to care what other people do after admitting to oneself that it’s a good idea.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t see the appeal of continuing to care what other people do after admitting to oneself that it’s a good idea.

And yet these threads still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Everyone should get the booster and spread the word that it's both important and universally available in the US