Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Anno posted:

Is it at all worth it to put resin towards farming artifacts before I can get 5* versions? Or should I just keep focusing on ascension/talent stuff for now and just hack together what I pick up from around the world?

If you're at the AR 40 domains, I would absolutely pick up a 4 piece Viridescent set if your dps uses non-physical damage. They can be 4 star, %hp, level 0 artifacts if you want, and you can use anemo traveler if you have nobody else. It's a huge boost for relatively little investment.

Besides that, I guess you can run a few domains for the artifact exp if you don't want to do overworld artifact runs. I wouldn't recommend it but you can do it if you want. Getting raw artifact levels on your non-flower artifacts is important, even if you can't get set bonuses or good substats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
No, do not touch artifact domains until AR45, any of them. Do talents and ascension bosses. It'll feel like a long month but it'll be over soon.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I spent a few condensed resin at AR40 getting Blizzard Strayer 4pc and Viridescent 4pc and I'm happy I did. Both of those full sets have very noticeable effects. It would be a bad idea to use any fragile resin at AR40 though.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Resin is ultimately largely transferable. If artifacts are what’s holding your team back it’s fine to get some better artifacts before AR 45, the only thing that you should be conscious of is using fragile resin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

getting sets is enough of a headache i wouldn't recommend people bother with it at the stage when it's still pretty unnecessary. anything other than specific supports/support situations you're going to want some sort of stat focus that you'd likely end up farming for, even common stats like atk% can easily evade you.

every other major upgrade is finite though, so i can see people getting to a point where they have weapons and ascensions/talents locked down for their main characters and spending daily resin on artifacts after that is fine.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Baiard posted:

I spent a few condensed resin at AR40 getting Blizzard Strayer 4pc and Viridescent 4pc and I'm happy I did. Both of those full sets have very noticeable effects. It would be a bad idea to use any fragile resin at AR40 though.

4pc VV is ok to farm for pre-45, since the artifacts in themselves aren't important, the set bonus is. Don't go overboard hunting for specific pieces, though. Blizzard Strayer.. maybe, but pre-45 you might not be hitting the numbers to want to invest resin into a strayer set, but its not the worst idea you could have, I suppose.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I say go ahead and start farming now. Get an idea of what the future holds. You're going to swap those out for 5* ones eventually anyway, might as well have some crit stuff while you can get em.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kale posted:

It still amazes me that this is like the prime content for youtube nowadays. The kind of stuff that always gets millions of views and hundreds of thousands of thumbs ups yet to comes off across the board as a broad sort of "generic internet meme humor". You know crudely drawn JPEGs vibrating in place, wacky reaction faces and I can only assuming lots of audio clipping (I have sound muted atm since at work currently). At least that's how it almost always comes across to me.

That's probably the secret though and I just don't jive with internet humor all that much.

Watched it all, and though it drags a bit towards the end, this one is actually thought through, the audio is solidly captured and the repeated jokes (and subverting them!) are cleverly done. It's waaaaay better than the short "screaming slapstick" jokes that from time to time pop up on my recommended and which I tend to promptly ban from appearing on there (I'd post an example here, but they disappear from my history as well, luckily).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Thanks for all the opinions. I ran the Crimson Witch domain once and got an atk hat with crit damage, EM and flat HP or HP%, which seems okay for now since this is for Hu Tao. Maybe I’ll run it enough for one more piece for the 2-piece set effect to go with her Glad stuff and that’ll work for now. I’m only AR34.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

No Wave posted:

The current unverified leaks are suggesting that the albedo and eula banners will have the same 4 stars on them. This is disappointing, but at least it means you cant be tempted into doing something silly.

The real disappointment is that Rosaria is alleged to show up and I will not be able to pull.

Leaks have been fully verified:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rosaria already, lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flair posted:

Leaks have been fully verified:

Do we have a leak on the weapon banner?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Im...web2x&context=3

not sure how this and the character banner post pulled what seem to be the official tweet images, but maybe they accidentally got posted/deleted without me noticing. there was an earlier leak image that matches both this weapon lineup and the character one already posted.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Weird for them to run Freedom sworn. I rolled so hard for that weapon and got the "don't roll on the weapon banner" mantra as an epitaph for my primos. Didn't stick with me though :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pretty good set of 4*. it'd be nice to get noelle and rosaria's last constellation

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tae posted:

Rosaria already, lol

She'll be my first 6C at this rate. Guess I'll have to learn how to use her.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

dogsicle posted:

every other major upgrade is finite though, so i can see people getting to a point where they have weapons and ascensions/talents locked down for their main characters and spending daily resin on artifacts after that is fine.

I can't argue with the optimal resin usage of the much-earlier-in-this-thread statement of "never touch artifact domains until 45 then when you hit 45 spend your days begging for carries until you're geared up". I just think it's lame. Get your weapons, get your talents, then go get some artifacts while waiting for your counter to tick over.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Do we have a leak on the weapon banner?

Well we now got official pictures:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like this game is a little bit too solved. It was more fun when the weird techno cubes I stumbled upon scared me and I went into a crazy teleport portal that seemed like it was just the beginning of such crazy poo poo.

Then again there’s still a bunch of crazy poo poo. I unno. Just wish combat wasn’t so much understood math and there was more difference in character archetypes.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I mean, they do make new character archetypes still, it's just that "don't gear for crit-healer" made some people mad, normal attack string archer made people freak out because someone posted a gif and battery archon didn't fit neatly into a melt or freeze comp, so it must be crap :v:.
I don't think we can blame the developers too much for solved characters when a lot of players don't even want to try anything that doesn't fit.
The reasons why players don't want to try are still partially on the devs, since the game gets super grindy (artifacts/talents), discouraging experimentation, but some of it might be self-inflicted.

The last few character releases were rather ill-fitting, interesting or weird (Sayu/Shogun/Yoimiya/Kokomi/Aloy) and now we're getting the big geo patch with two interesting new artifact sets. Tsurumi island and Seirai island had fairly involved exploration gimmicks and a whole bunch of surprises. They just made new enemies that discourage shielding and/or favour ranged attackers to get people to break away from just melee. The last big event was a dungeon with some fresh new ideas like traps or collecting stacking buffs over the course of a lengthy gameplay section.

I'm not sure what else these people are supposed to do.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 21, 2021

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

The super secret of the artifact grind is that you can gear every damage dealer in the game up to around 90% power using nothing but the shimenawa domain and artifact strongboxes. When you have good pieces you can just pass them around. Most people don't realize this, but getting a BiS 4 piece is just as much of a vanity thing as crowning or leveling to 90.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Sure, but crowning or getting to 90 is really easy compared to getting good artifacts.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

I'm not sure what else these people are supposed to do.

Make a visual novel autobattler.

Making half the reactions in the game worth a poo poo would probably help the game feel less samey.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
To me it's that the combat system has tools that deal with encounter damage too well. In plenty of teams and encounters needing to dodge is rare. You'll have enemies frozen, staggered, or CCed in some manner. If not you probably have a shield or sufficient healing to where you can face tank the hits. Because of this encounters are more about character damage which is further encouraged because the abyss rewards based on time. I don't really know how they can fix this without major changes to characters or if they would even want to since I think this being a mobile game has a lot to do with why they made these choices.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I would agree that the cost of getting stuff stifles experimentation and is probably the reason we don't see many zany builds like thundering fury Bennett. People don't want to guess when it takes months to get all the talent/character/weapon materials. The best I can do is compare characters with a friend at the same level using a slightly different build.

Especially for newer players reaching their first hurdles around AR40-45, there's so much investment involved in building a new character. You can't be sure how they will perform without building them. Rather than experiment and figure things out yourself, you're going to take the advice of others before you even start building the character. And that's why for the most part a character is a character and it's just a matter of how well a player has built them. They do the same things and play the same way because everyone uses the same builds. The only zany builds I have come from my early-game crew of Fischl, Bennett, and Chongyun.

I'm sure there's a point where you have enough artifacts of almost every set fully leveled that you can swap them around and experiment, but that's like a full year into the game. I'm months in, 34* on the abyss and still artifact-poor. The inability to experiment is a problem, especially when the early AR genshin plays nothing like the later world levels do. I think one of my first posts ITT was about using barbara and lisa for DPS because those reactions slay everything. It was true, those electro-charged reactions were killing everything on WL1-3. :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tanreall posted:

if they would even want to since I think this being a mobile game has a lot to do with why they made these choices.

Honkai constantly requires dodging or reactive counters, on mobile, made by the same company. You're not seeing anything beyond probably because their data says that a huge majority of their fanbase does not do this or care.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

There's just too many teams where the gameplay is essentially the same.

I pulled Hu Tao for a change of pace, but when I was practicing her Geo Tao team I realized "Hey wait a minute, this is just Raiden National." Then I thought, wait, in both International and Taser Childe you're also just cycling through skills and bursts, then attacking nearly invincibly within a circle. Both my taser teams with Koko are the same thing (but you can't even see the circle, lol). Well, what about that wacky EM Razor blastwolf team? Same thing. Let's all just cycle through supports and stand in the circle.

This is why the best team is overvape Hu Tao. Nothing stays in any location for any amount of time

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MoonCrab posted:

I pulled Hu Tao for a change of pace, but when I was practicing her Geo Tao team I realized "Hey wait a minute, this is just Raiden National." Then I thought, wait, in both International and Taser Childe you're also just cycling through skills and bursts, then attacking nearly invincibly within a circle. Both my taser teams with Koko are the same thing (but you can't even see the circle, lol). Well, what about that wacky EM Razor blastwolf team? Same thing. Let's all just cycle through supports and stand in the circle.

This is why the best team is overvape Hu Tao. Nothing stays in any location for any amount of time

Switch teams dominate the meta unless you at least sometimes whale. 5 stars with enough constellations and the right supports do enough damage that constantly swapping can be a side/downgrade.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

this is why xiao is criminally slept on :smugdog:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
imo it's that optimized rotations are too smooth and ER too strong. If you're bursting off-cooldown with every character you're spending half your time in invincibility frames, plus most bursts staggering enemies, making it so that you don't have to care about what the enemies actually do. Even for teams that don't exactly work like this (Hu Tao?) people compensate by adding a massive fuckoff shield from Zhongli or whatever.

Longtime players may not remember but when you're starting out, a lot of combat is like oh poo poo oh gently caress run around, try not to get stunlocked or two-shot, as you desperately try to build meter with Guoba or Kaeya skill or such.

I guess the upshot is, unequip your artifacts :v:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

MoonCrab posted:

Well, this is 50% you being overly reductive with pattern recognition and 50% Mihoyo locking interesting poo poo behind 5* constellations. Teams cycling through skills and bursts is the default, yes, but that's like saying kickboxing and muay thai are the same thing just because both fight with their arms and legs. Style and form matters.

But the devs are to blame for locking off poo poo like C4 Childe's extra hydro procs, whatever Xiao's thing is that lets him have 5 dashes, Hu Tao's C6 invincibility, etc

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Redmark posted:

Longtime players may not remember but when you're starting out, a lot of combat is like oh poo poo oh gently caress run around, try not to get stunlocked or two-shot, as you desperately try to build meter with Guoba or Kaeya skill or such.

I guess the upshot is, unequip your artifacts :v:

Having done Inazuma leylines with my friendship team lately, where the most powerful character is a level 70 Childe with artifacts around level 8-10 and the rest of the characters are level ~50 with no artifacts and level 20 weapons, I can certainly agree that it was a lot of "oh poo poo oh gently caress run around". Was it fun? Eeeh... It was certainly interesting having to solo the 2 remaining Kairagi with a level 50 Albedo with level 1 artifacts and a level 20 Harbinger of Dawn, but I'm not sure I want every fight to be a slog like that. It does force you to up your dodge game, I'll give it that.

I like a lot of my underleveled characters and want to use them, but even getting them to a somewhat decent quality for the current content would be an insane resource sink. I tried farming VV for Sucrose the past week, and it's just not dropping anything remotely useable, let alone optimal. If constantly swapping artifacts back and forth between characters wasn't such a slog I'd just let her borrow Kazuha's stuff when using her, but it is. Then there's the rest of the team....

At least even that trashy team can clear non-Inazuma leylines easily. It's almost ludicrous how big the challenge difference is, especially between Inazuma and Mondstadt.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 21, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mix. posted:

this is why xiao is criminally slept on :smugdog:

Plunge attack enthusiasts unite.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I tend to play most of my characters (except poor Diluc and the Traveler), so I just end up lowering the world level to accomodate the slightly less resource intensive level 70 characters. You don't even lose out on anything of value since the higher world levels are pretty samey and I've never had any issues with monster materials.
I haven't really been lacking for things to do as a result and combat hasn't really gotten boring, but it's not really something everyone would enjoy.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Those teams really do all play the same though. Maybe it's because I was a Bennett-less Klee main for a few months, but I miss the really outrageous mechanical and positional stuff I had to do to scrape up abyss clears without eating absolute poo poo to pretty much everything. Even tried going Zhongl-less for a patch and it's just not the same :(

Mhy why did you make the best buffer also the best healer? I want big number, but also the ever present threat of death, and also the freedom to move around. There are surprisingly few teams that give that nowadays.

My hope is that Shenhe is a snapshotting, burst orbital, off field dps. I could play Tao as an enabler, zooming around the battlefield halfway dead, jumping up and down with kazu when I felt like it...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Play off-meta characters with actually interesting mechanics, and maybe you'll have more fun

https://i.imgur.com/4BB3wjC.mp4
What I love about this game is the combat, and it always strikes me as odd that the most passive styles of play are as popular as they are. I'll never get bored of my current team because it utilizes nearly every mechanic the game has to offer, and I can switch up my rotations whenever I feel like it. In a single fight, I use a charged shot, plunge attacks, claymore spins, and pewpew arrows without even bringing bursts into play. If I wanted to, I could just spam bursts as well. It'd probably end things faster, but where's the fun in that?

If there were a game where a single character could snipe with a bow, jump up in the air and slam the ground, spin a big-rear end sword around, all while freezing them in place, and with buttery smooth controls to boot, I'd be all over it. In the mean time, this game will do.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you kill the birds in Oceanid without a bow DPS?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

theblackw0lf posted:

Razors skill (At least the Hold version) can hit them, a few other skills/bursts can too. Maybe some of the catalyst users? But honestly, needing to fight the oceanid to build Xingqui is what made me actually level up Fischl; Its so much less of a pain in the dick if you have a bow user. A bunch of the levelled up characters on my roster is in that bag of "I need to grind out X to make this character good, so I guess I need to build a different character who is good at that domain/boss/whatever". Like I wanted Crimson Witch artifacts for bennet, so I needed to level Kaeya (as my best ice guy at the time) because my main dps at the time (Razor) was Not Good in the crimson witch domain. Luckily Razor was fine in the frost artifact domain.

Edit to add: I know this boils down to "How do you kill the birds without a bow DPS? You get a bow DPS" but honestly, its either that, spend far too long picking at them with skills on cooldowns, or just run the oceanic and just peace out if she summons birds. I've run the oceanid again recently, forgot to switch to my oceanid fighting team, and can tell you that Raiden Shoguns skill, and I think Ayakas burst can also hit them, but its just quicker and easier with a bow user. Doesnt have to be anyone great or with a 5* weapon, almost anyone will do.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 22, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

theblackw0lf posted:

Discover Lisa's one instance where's she's top tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are non-bow characters that can hit above their heads like Rosaria, Razor, Sucrose etc

plus the birds don't always spawn