Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FunkyAl posted:

Well, sure. It's barely subtext. The enemies are evil robots. Who fixed the robots?

the enemy is ganon. ganom corrupted the good robots to be bad. ganon bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

Well, sure. It's barely subtext. The enemies are evil robots. Who fixed the robots?

I don't think Zelda did any fixing tbh. She was having trouble using a tablet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also I’d argue the lynels are much more dangerous than the guardians.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 22, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also I’d argue the lynels are much more dangerous than the guardians.

Guardians are dumb as gently caress and easy to dispatch.

A lynel will gently caress you up completely without you even realizing it's still tracking you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I appreciate what you’ saying but games just aren’t that well written.
You are confused. Zelda being the villain of botw wouldnt be good writing, itd be dumb poo poo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

Yes, Link did. The ghost gave him a paraglider.
this.

FunkyAl posted:

He doesn't need the tunic and has to rip the master sword out of the ground. For the other guys, it was easy.

heneeds hearts to rip out the master sword because thats how it worked in zelda 1.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mandatory lesbian posted:

You are confused. Zelda being the villain of botw wouldnt be good writing, itd be dumb poo poo

Alright but check this out:

What if Superman was bad?

Surprised no one has ever done that story. The hero being bad is such an incredibly untapped well that intellectuals like myself would enjoy.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

b_d posted:

this.

heneeds hearts to rip out the master sword because thats how it worked in zelda 1.

To be fair, the swords in Zelda 1 weren't the master sword and also didn't kill Link when he tried to pick them up.

Hearts just happen to be a serviceable, albeit arbitrary, way of measuring linear progress in a nonlinear open world game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There are four Ganons on the edge of a cliff...

How many of them have paragliders?

cum jabbar posted:

Calamity Qanon

Calamity Banon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think it's more, as much as I love Zelda games you don't play them for the Big Themes, y'know. Trying to find subtext is futile.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm a little surprised this is coming off as a radical theory. Zelda's been doing "But what if the kingdom had a Dark Side" since A Link to the Past.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This bit sucks rear end. gently caress you OP.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1462290855021015045

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This bit sucks rear end. gently caress you OP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please buy astral chain

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

OP's so good at misreading games, they managed to misread a dark side of Hyrule into LTTP. Amazing.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Just Andi Now posted:

OP's so good at misreading games, they managed to misread a dark side of Hyrule into LTTP. Amazing.

You go to a place called the "Dark World."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Alright but check this out:

What if Superman was bad?

Surprised no one has ever done that story. The hero being bad is such an incredibly untapped well that intellectuals like myself would enjoy.

Isn't that just the plot of the Injustice games?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

OP please go on, it's fun

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

please buy astral chain

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechaGodzilla do you have anything to add here

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

OP please go on, it's fun

In some RPGs, the Catholic Church isn't always the good guy!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

In some RPGs, the Catholic Church isn't always the good guy!

you go too far

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

One weird thing I noticed in Pokémon: most of the battle arenas have reflective floors, but occasionally there will randomly be an ugly matte patch. I'm pretty sure this only happens when a character is wearing a skirt that might make said polished floor inconvenient for a family game.

Not a big deal, but it detracts from the nice looking arenas.
I like the idea that these characters have spray-painted the floors where they're standing so nobody can see up their skirts.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FunkyAl posted:

You go to a place called the "Dark World."

The Dark World isn't Hyrule. It's the Golden Land where the Triforce was kept. Ganondorf broke into it, got a hold of the united Triforce, and wished to rule the world. That wish turned the Golden Land into the Dark World. While this technically fulfilled his wish in an rear end in a top hat Genie sense, Ganondorf (who at this point had become Ganon) went "No that's not what I meant" and started making plans to take over Hyrule in the Light World by sending an avatar of his power (Agahnim) to break the barrier between the Light World and the Dark World.

This isn't even anything obscure, this is the loving blatant plot spelled out to you by the maidens in the game LttP. "The Dark World" has nothing to do with any sort of dark side of Hyrule, it's blatantly "Ganon wants to rule the world so the Triforce made an evil world for him to rule." How can anyone misunderstand Zelda games so tremendously?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What a waste of page 69.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why does the Dark World look exactly like a dark mirror version of Hyrule though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why are there two alternate Hyrules between LttP and ALBW?

Why is Dark Link a rabbit? Is it a reference to Link's hidden desires?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Gotta throw in Termina and the Twilight Realm for alternate Hyrules, too. Hyrule is a superposition of alternate realms clearly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Martman posted:

Why does the Dark World look exactly like a dark mirror version of Hyrule though

Because they wanted there to be cool puzzles that involved warping between worlds, or doing something in one world to affect another (like draining the pond in the Light World to flood Swamp Palace in the Dark World).

If you're looking for an in game reason there's never one given. Maybe the Triforce tried to make the Dark World look similar to the Light World to make Ganon feel more like he'd gotten what he wanted. Maybe it was just easier for the Triforce to create a world similar to the one that already existed. Maybe the Triforce purposely modeled it after Lorule for whatever reason. The only thing that's for sure is that it isn't because "Hyrule is secretly dark and evil and the royal family is bad."

Mega64 posted:

Why are there two alternate Hyrules between LttP and ALBW?

The devs were lazy. :v: But yeah it's dumb and weird that Lorule is basically exactly like the Dark World in LttP aside from having a Lorule Castle in the center instead of the Pyramid of Power. And Turtle Rock and Ice Palace switching locations. I know that LBW is a sequel to LttP and so they wanted to have the Dark World again but couldn't use the same justification, so they had to make one up, but I feel like they could've done better.

Mega64 posted:

Why is Dark Link a rabbit? Is it a reference to Link's hidden desires?

I think it's just a reference (and a bit of a hint to his true identity) to LttP where Link turns into a rabbit if you enter the Dark World without the Moon Pearl. And they even do sort of give justification to it because rather than becoming a hero like Hyrule Link, he ran away like a scared rabbit. Or maybe like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Think Link reads LotR

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I thought it was because Link, like rabbits, likes to gently caress.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I thought it was because Link, like rabbits, likes to gently caress.

Maybe, although in Twilight Princess it's revealed that OoT Link became a skeleton man because he was full of regret that he never hosed and thus had nobody to pass down his cool hero skills to.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i played hundreds of hours of botw and i'm pretty sure the moral of the game is "everyone wants to gently caress link"

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Your Computer posted:

i played hundreds of hours of botw and i'm pretty sure the moral of the game is "everyone wants to gently caress link"

Except the lady who's a little too into guardians and an orbs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

What a waste of page 69.
Page 69 was always wasted.

Martman posted:

Because Ganon wanted to rule the world. Why is this so hard?

Your Computer posted:

That's also the moral of the original Hyrule Warriors.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So this is what happens when Stux gets probed for more than a sixer. Interesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Please buy astral chain and also perma the bad Zelda post guy for making bad posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That would empty out the thread completely. The single unifier for goons - the goonifier if you will - is terrible opinions.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 21, 2021