Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Yeah. Sorry."

(I still lol when I think about that line.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In the entirety of the manga (as much as I read anyway) Sakura had like one good fight and she wasn't even in control of her body for most of it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Let's not forget the original series ends with Sakura having Sasuke's child and then he turns into a deadbeat dad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then salad somehow turned out well despite being raised by a crazy woman prone to fits of destructive rage. salad gaiden was the best thing kishimoto ever wrote.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Let's not forget the original series ends with Sakura having Sasuke's child and then he turns into a deadbeat dad.

tbf that lead to like top 3/4 Naruto content ever.

Those 10 weeks of Sarada Gaiden were magical to follow, just watching an entire shipping apparatus in a fandom completely melt down.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

then salad somehow turned out well despite being raised by a crazy woman prone to fits of destructive rage. salad gaiden was the best thing kishimoto ever wrote.

That's actually extremely normal, and happens regularly.

Kids who have to grow up too soon to help parents who can't always be around. And have to like help with things that parents usually do for their kids.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly Sakura deserved more in general, she’s pretty good as a gutsy rude girl but the Sasuke romance drags her down in a pretty big way. Idk why authors have so much trouble writing female characters, just do what One Piece does and have Nami/Robin mostly interchangeable characters if they were boys.

As an early Nico Robin fan, nobody should do to her what Oda has done. She got a lot of play in Alabasta, Water 7, and even Skypeia. But drops off the face of the plot the rest of the series only to have some relevancy this arc because the fuzz are back on her tail. She's a cool character but Oda can't do anything with her without blowing the lid on this massive conspiracy he's been sitting on because that's the role of Robin's character at this point. Plus I just think he couldn't find a way to have her fight average opponents without no-selling them given her ability.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robin is my favorite Straw Hat and I don't really get that criticism, I understand people want her to get more fights but I don't really consider One Piece to be a fightmanga anymore so whatever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they waste way too much time on fights anymore to not throw robin bones in that regard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, she got a fight like ten chapters ago and it ruled so whatever. I guess my stance is that while her powers are cool they're not the reason I like the character and she's plenty important to the story already so I'm not bothered.

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

dogsicle posted:

they waste way too much time on fights anymore to not throw robin bones in that regard

Hence why she teamed up with Brook this arc :yohoho:.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arist posted:

Anyway, she got a fight like ten chapters ago and it ruled so whatever. I guess my stance is that while her powers are cool they're not the reason I like the character and she's plenty important to the story already so I'm not bothered.
Gonna be honest, that fight sucked and I have no idea why Black Maria got so shaken up when she'd already seen and fought a giant Nico. The change in appearance when Maria was still technically the dominant figure in the fight is contrived. I like Nico for being an archeologist and cool as hell. But again, she can't do anything with it nowadays to a frustrating degree so she winds up sitting on the sidelines. Fishman Island and Zou is just her cryptically hinting she knows something about the new ponygliph and that's it. I'm not saying she needs to be like zoro or Sanji who are mainstay fighters, but her lack of presence even in fights fights despite someone who would be adept at crowd control being really good in an arc like this where a lot of mooks need to be subdued is another annoyance.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

Like father like son, Boruto the manga is also doing a great job at treating its women and girls.

Yikes, that's unfortunate.

I don't like Boruto overall, but the movie was pretty solid, and did the "overworked former protagonist neglecting his son" plot way better than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which came out around the same time

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boruto the manga is a pretty rough piece of work even at its best. Boruto the anime, however, rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Yikes, that's unfortunate.

I don't like Boruto overall, but the movie was pretty solid, and did the "overworked former protagonist neglecting his son" plot way better than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which came out around the same time

For what it’s worth, the Boruto anime is better than the manga in just about every aspect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I might have to check it out then, because the manga is drawn in a pretty soulless way. I can see some of the fights being good when animated though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime expands on the story, gives the characters more stuff to do (in addition to making most of the female cast actually useful), the anime exclusive arcs are fun, they did a better version of the movie than the movie itself did, and most importantly it sticks to Kishimoto’s artstyle as opposed to the guy that does the manga.

Granted, the series is 225 episodes long and running but I still definitely recommend checking it out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the anime-original content really serves to fill in a lot of blanks with characterization too. At this point I pretty much consider the manga to be a very rough draft that the anime polishes. Emotional moments that fall flat in the manga are much more effective in the anime because of all of the additional connective tissue at play.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ayashimon’s second chapter still good. Loving the chaos energy from it.

Protect Me, Shugomaru is meh. I’m not a huge fan of the gag art-style and it just feels like a premise that will get old fast. I expect this one to be chucked after 16-17 chapters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
maruo definitely stepping up to take the throne denji vacated as jump's resident Chaotic Dumbass protagonist

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

maruo definitely stepping up to take the throne denji vacated as jump's resident Chaotic Dumbass protagonist

"Super Smart Attack" definitely gave me "Operation: Super-Smart" vibes

Witch Watch this week felt like it's retreading too much of last week and Magu-Chan this week introduced a bunch cliche weirdos that are doing the joke way better to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like shugomaru much but i do like the girl he guards

if only she could fulfill her dream of a normal boyfriend...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, this week's Witch Watch was a little weird in how much it was just the same as last week's. I think Protect Me is going to live or die on the next chapter because it needs to introduce some more characters to bounce these two off of because just the two main characters isn't going to be enough to carry a series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So the Boruto anime does a Demon Slayer with the anime and manga?

Probably better examples but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So the Boruto anime does a Demon Slayer with the anime and manga?

Probably better examples but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.

I’ve never watched/read Demon Slayer (is it any good?) but the Boruto anime definitely covers more ground than the manga does at least

At least some of the anime material is actually canon to said manga as well (for example, a previously anime exclusive character pops up at one point around the middle).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Demon Slayer is a pretty standard adaptation, not at all like what the Boruto anime does. it's starts with like 30 episodes of wholly original content that takes place before the manga started, as well as episodes adapting light novel side stories, the TV arc that adapts a movie (like DB Super did) etc. and even after that it dips into anime original arcs regularly similar to how Naruto did.

i can't speak to quality of the anime original stuff in the last couple years, but that first year of Boruto with largely original content was great and has an entirely different charm to it than what little of the manga i read. i don't think the movie arc is unequivocally better since the TV version looks mostly lovely and pads out the exam parts, but it does have much better context on the emotional roots and stakes of the conflict while keeping an amazing climax.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Demon Slayer itself any good? Also would it be better to watch the anime, read the manga or do both?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Demon Slayer has ufotable putting in their full effort, so, compared to manga, a lot of its strong points are enhanced (and a lot of its flaws are far less noticeable) due to the gorgeous animation.

EDIT: Demon Slayer is pretty good. It has strong character writing and a great chemistry between them that makes the desired emotional notes land pretty consistently and really nifty and cool power system. It has also a pretty weak main plot, a lot of pacing issues and it's fights often suffer from full range of shonen tropes that makes them a lot less interesting than it's power system would imply. Anime is a lot stronger than manga IMHO, due to ufotable.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 21, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the boruto anime is the ninja kids adventure that people wish the original was. or sometimes that they remember it as.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The new comic just bounced right off me, sad to say.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Witch Watch felt like a rehash but it was at least pretty funny when Moi felt an unwanted sense of kinship with the president because they both exist to babysit morons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I feel like Witch Watch coulda just cut the last chapter entirely in favor of this one, feels like it communicates the same info but in a funnier and more original way

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk about the quality of the boruto anime but the art makes the boruto manga impossible to enjoy for me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It has the feel off something that's been copied from real faces; everything is very on model at all times with no exaggeration to the expressions, which works for something very serious and detailed, but not for teenage ninja hijinks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk about the quality of the boruto anime but the art makes the boruto manga impossible to enjoy for me

As I said, the Boruto anime uses the exact same artstyle that Naruto/Shippuden did so maybe just watch that instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not that interested in watching 200 filler arcs. didn't watch the naruto anime either

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
boruto reverses the usual scenario where the original manga is better than the anime-original filler. it is not a very good manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not that interested in watching 200 filler arcs. didn't watch the naruto anime either

The “filler” in Boruto is actually better than the manga content more often than not. It’s kind of like the anti-GT in a sense

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, the Boruto anime is doing its own thing most of the time so it really feels a disservice to even consider it "filler"

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The best part of Bort the Manga is that the artist, for whatever reason, makes every female character dress like a 70s Go-Go dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Ayashimon is looking good. The new series has a terrible art style but the premise is cute.