Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress I never realized how much traffic AITA gets, that last story has only been up a few hours and tons of comments have thousands of votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

OP may not have a gun but he lobbed a grenade into r/ra with this one

My (25m) boyfriend (28m) is mad at me for my stance on gun issues after our house was robbed

quote:

So I had someone break into our house last night and it was the scariest thing ever. My heart was pounding the entire time as screamed at the guy through the door to leave immediately.

We’re in Canada but I’m from an American family. After the whole ordeal was over I told him that I really wish I had a right to a gun in this country. I knew that we disagreed on gun rights but this time it got heated.

He asked me what I would have done with the gun. I told him that I probably would have asked them to leave and then shoot them if they didn’t.

He then asked me if I would actually be okay killing someone over breaking into our home. I didn’t want to lie so I told him the honest truth, “I probably wouldn’t even lose sleep over it”. I know it sounds bad, but I’m so angry that someone made me feel like my life was in danger in my own home. I can still hear the chaos of my dog furiously barking and me screaming at the top of my lungs. It was just a horrible experience and I hated the feeling of feeling so defenceless.

My partner just acted really shocked and we got into a back and forth. He is really angry that I don’t value human life as much as he does, and I’m kind of just upset that he’s so defensive of some idiot who did that to us.

We’ve had our ups and downs, but this kind of feels different. I feel like he’s looking at me differently and I left the house because of all the tension. I’m currently at a coffee shop and I don’t know where to go from here. Im worried that im going to go home and get dumped. But part of me wonders if maybe we’re too different and this is going to get worse and worse. We’ve been together for almost six years, so I hate to lose it all over a social issue.

Maybe we’re both suffering from PTSD in our own way, but I hate fighting.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

OP may not have a gun but he lobbed a grenade into r/ra with this one

My (25m) boyfriend (28m) is mad at me for my stance on gun issues after our house was robbed

"I hate fighting, I just want to be able to end a life in a second."

???

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wow yeah the comments on that one

quote:

> idiot 1
This right here is why I bought a gun. I live in the mountains and my husband works nights. So if someone's gonna come try to break in I need to be able to protect my kids.

>> idiot 2
yea i literally can’t wrap my brain around not being able to protect myself with a gun. how is trying to run/hide or relying on the cops any better than just firing off a couple rounds and making the robbers flee. i’ve seen multiple break in video and the robbers don’t shoot back they run.

>>> idiot 3
Exactly. I could pop off a warning shot and they run and be safe in less than five minutes... Or I could sit here for until the cops decide to show up and who even knows what they're going to do in that amount of time.

"just fire off a couple rounds" lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

"I hate fighting, I just want to be able to end a life in a second."

???

Well yeah, takes a lot more fighting to end it otherwise

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I've only shot guns a couple of times in my life, both just target shooting with rifles. One thing I remember from the gun safety course I took was that warning shots are a concept only idiots believe in. We were told that if you're pulling that trigger, you drat well better be intending to hit what you're pointing at. The bullet doesn't know it's only supposed to be a warning. This was followed up by pointing out that if you purposely fire away from the person, into the air for instance, you effectively just fired rounds with no control over where they land. Those bullets are going to go somewhere, are you absolutely and totally certain that place isn't going to be into your neighbours kid?

In conclusion, shooting guns can be fun. Dipshits with no concept of the value of human life can gently caress right off.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

also it seems like he did not in fact need a gun for self defence to scare off robbers, so

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Might as well just buy a prop gun and fire blanks if you're trying to scare 'em with a loud sound. Safer for everyone involved.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I do understand the response, I had a very peaceful break in and I was jumping at noises for weeks after so I can once imagine a more dramatic one like that could make you so scared as to turn absolutely stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warning shots are how you end up in Jail.

The state of Florida gun safety/concealed carry permit training classes helpfully remind you that you should always mag dump into the person you shoot to kill them because the jury can't hear the dead's counter testimony and firing all your bullets points to you truly being scared

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

One thing I've noticed is that these idiots never consider that if they could get a gun, so can the "crazy violent" people they think they're defending themselves against. Great now they can shoot you too!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But the TV told me the only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun! TV wouldn't lie to me!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But the TV told me the only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun! TV wouldn't lie to me!

The problem is that you then need another good guy with a gun to stop the first one.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for taking away my daughter's thanksgiving present because she refused to eat what my wife cooked?

So on top of everything else, that "thanksgiving present" is her belated 16th birthday present? Isn't "sweet 16" the big birthday for girls in the US?

That poor girl, she's acting more than reasonably and being treated like poo poo. I hope this is a troll post, but then I hope that with a lot of the posts in this thread. :smith:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I do understand the response, I had a very peaceful break in and I was jumping at noises for weeks after so I can once imagine a more dramatic one like that could make you so scared as to turn absolutely stupid.
I'd take a few weeks of being jumpy over having to spend the rest of my life with the guilt of having taken someone's life or me and my family being dead because in an incredible coincidence that no-one could have predicted the bad guy(s) also happened to have gun(s)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KittenCaboodle posted:

So on top of everything else, that "thanksgiving present" is her belated 16th birthday present? Isn't "sweet 16" the big birthday for girls in the US?

That poor girl, she's acting more than reasonably and being treated like poo poo. I hope this is a troll post, but then I hope that with a lot of the posts in this thread. :smith:

And the present is also from her mother! What an rear end in a top hat.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Computer viking posted:

I'm skipping at least 30 pages to say this, but it's important.

Get yourself over the border to Norway. We were the original test market for Surge, and it has never been out of production here - though they tinkered with the name when they launched it internationally; it's "Urge" here.

:denmark: Faxe Condi :denmark:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for taking away my daughter's thanksgiving present because she refused to eat what my wife cooked?

Wow, the loving layers here. Okay.

Never force anyone to eat anything. Ever. What if there's an allergy? What if she's vegetarian? Texture issues, whether sensory or tooth related? Dad is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Not every kid is going to get along on every point with their step parents and forcing that is the dumbest god damned thing you could ever do because it just makes the tension way way worse, wtg dad.

Also withholding a BIRTHDAY PRESENT over something as dumb as food is basically just asking for your kid to hate you.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My GF (29F) just said that me peeing sitting down makes her feel uncomfortable, and asked that I (29M) stop

quote:

I naturally got defensive, as I believe no one should impact the way that I choose to use the bathroom. She chalked it up to her feeling uncomfortable to it not being “normal” and that I’m the only guy she’s dated that does it. I’d say I only do it when at home, in public I prefer to pee standing up. Should I feel as confused on how to approach this as I do now? I feel as though I have a right to be angry about someone telling me how I take care of business.

Clarifying: doesn’t watch me, but told me she can “hear the difference”

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

welcome to hell posted:

My GF (29F) just said that me peeing sitting down makes her feel uncomfortable, and asked that I (29M) stop

Just go ahead and dump her for being too dumb to realize you're doing her a favor by not broken-fire-hydrant pissing all over the bathroom when you're bleary eyed at 3am.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just go ahead and dump her for being too dumb to realize you're doing her a favor by not broken-fire-hydrant pissing all over the bathroom when you're bleary eyed at 3am.

I'd really start playing that up. Just piss everywhere. Claim not to notice, as it's "too far down" to see if I've missed.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Brawnfire posted:

I'd really start playing that up. Just piss everywhere. Claim not to notice, as it's "too far down" to see if I've missed.

I've only had one partner (thankfully very short term) who never sat down to piss and he was a disgusting piss golem and that was only part of the reason we broke up.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
He should tell her that sitting down to pee increases his chances of getting prostate cancer, and she will be the one to apply the ointment.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DreadUnknown posted:

He should tell her that sitting down to pee increases his chances of getting prostate cancer, and she will be the one to apply the ointment.

It'll give him kidney stones and she'll have to suck them out.

Sagebrush posted:

just a really gross image

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lemony posted:

I've only shot guns a couple of times in my life, both just target shooting with rifles. One thing I remember from the gun safety course I took was that warning shots are a concept only idiots believe in. We were told that if you're pulling that trigger, you drat well better be intending to hit what you're pointing at. The bullet doesn't know it's only supposed to be a warning. This was followed up by pointing out that if you purposely fire away from the person, into the air for instance, you effectively just fired rounds with no control over where they land. Those bullets are going to go somewhere, are you absolutely and totally certain that place isn't going to be into your neighbours kid?

In conclusion, shooting guns can be fun. Dipshits with no concept of the value of human life can gently caress right off.

Barudak posted:

The state of Florida gun safety/concealed carry permit training classes helpfully remind you that you should always mag dump into the person you shoot to kill them because the jury can't hear the dead's counter testimony and firing all your bullets points to you truly being scared

In America, this is very normal.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

He really goes out of his way to avoid explaining *why* his daughter doesn't want to eat her step-mother's cooking. Which...seems like the most crucial piece of information needed to figure out what's going on with this hosed up family.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barudak posted:

way back when, an old friend of my mom was in the process of divorcing her abusive husband, and one night he came to the house, extremely drunk, and tried to kick in her door. naturally she called the cops as this was going on, and the advice the police gave her, when they showed up an hour after he gave up and left, was "get a gun and if he actually gets through the door the next time make sure he's completely in the house before you shoot him. keep shooting until he's dead so he can't sue you"

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Be sure to get a fuzzy toilet seat cover too.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

welcome to hell posted:

What if he has to poop too? Is he supposed to be going up and down? What if he pees/poops at the same time? :ohdear:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

nashona posted:

What if he has to poop too? Is he supposed to be going up and down? What if he pees/poops at the same time? :ohdear:

Obviously he's just going to have to stand to poop. Real men etc. so on and so forth it just sounds different etc.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nashona posted:

Poop standing up, obviously.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Just do it ape style in your hand and smear it on the walls to establish dominance, obviously.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

The_Franz posted:

way back when, an old friend of my mom was in the process of divorcing her abusive husband, and one night he came to the house, extremely drunk, and tried to kick in her door. naturally she called the cops as this was going on, and the advice the police gave her, when they showed up an hour after he gave up and left, was "get a gun and if he actually gets through the door the next time make sure he's completely in the house before you shoot him. keep shooting until he's dead so he can't sue you"

Jesus Christ the USA is a hosed up place.

Same thing happened round the corner from me to a friend of a friend. Police were there in minutes, sirens blazing because they take things like that really seriously.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

He really goes out of his way to avoid explaining *why* his daughter doesn't want to eat her step-mother's cooking. Which...seems like the most crucial piece of information needed to figure out what's going on with this hosed up family.

There is the (extremely) small chance that the daughter is a picky eater and just wants to eat garbage like instant ramen or frozen pizza every day and won't touch anything green. The new wife is either trying things like shoving meat into the face of a vegetarian, or, most likely, given the conspicuous absence of her age, the new wife is 22 and the daughter isn't interested in indulging someone who is more like an older sibling or classmate that fucks her dad while playing house.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
The cops in America won’t come out for burglary that happened when you weren’t home but a home invasion in progress is a chance to show up and shoot someone so they’ll definitely show up to that. If you are in the middle of nowhere it can take a while tho.

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

...Obviously aside from those who were abused, or those who are dealing with gender or sexuality issues, or those who are physically disabled, among others, there is something very very deeply wrong with a man...

You, a smart person: "if you are a virgin, prove you're not insane by disclosing your childhood sexual abuse to me! Wait, where are you going? Weirdo! I sure dodged a bullet!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jfc

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I am not saying you are damaged, I am just saying something is probably wrong if you are a virgin in your 20s.

And something was wrong in this case, (she lost 50 pounds).

Shutting up on virgin derail. Easier to place idiots on ignore

Credulous Skeptic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 21, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My grandma had a WWII story where they were potentially dealing with German spies while all the men were off at War where she and any of the other kids over nine spent a night locked, loaded and ready to light up anything that might try to come through a window or door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The old adage manages to be true on every level: No sex is better than bad sex.