Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
There are apparently supply problems and some places are taking that as their cue to gouge people on Crimson Vow boxes, it'll straighten out. The box toppers are in a sealed pack on cardboard inside the box as well, so if you're not getting it with every Crimson Vow sealed box, you're getting opened product.

I preordered some stuff from my LGS, and didn't notice at first that they had charged me $50/ea for the commander precons, and now I see that a lot of the other game stores online and in my area are selling both for $60-65 combined and I'm kinda salty about it. I don't play much except with friends at home, so I don't have any loyalty to the place, really. A foil showcase Sorin in my set booster box softened the blow a little, but I'm gonna have to do more shopping around at the next release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BizarroAzrael posted:

They closed sealed early so I've not actually played today 😔

Johannes Voss was cool though;

Those are the nicest pringles I ever seen

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

You can probably get boxes online for $90 for example: here: https://www.minmaxgames.com/collections/magic-the-gathering/products/innistrad-crimson-vow-draft-booster-box although you might have to pay shipping for orders under a certain amount. https://smokeandmirrorshobby.com/collections/shop-all-mtg/products/magic-the-gathering-innistrad-crimson-vow-draft-booster-box

also peppercrab, a goon, is starting up and also selling at $90. https://fortunagames.square.site/

[i am not endorsing any of these sites.. just showing options]

$140 is a bit much for a draft box and i wouldn't buy one from an LGS unless you're purposely doing it to support them. more than 50% markup seems harsh though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Be extremely careful buying boxes online, even through hypothetically reputable sources like Amazon. A lot are repacks/resealed/searched.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I think the whole repacking issue has been blown way out of proportion. even the timespiral video one was pretty suspect. the only one i really thought was the Modern Horizons (or some Modern set) the Power9 guy on YouTube bought and even then it wasn't clear he bought directly from Amazon or from a third party on Amazon.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Be extremely careful buying boxes online, even through hypothetically reputable sources like Amazon. A lot are repacks/resealed/searched.

Now that Amazon no longer takes returns on Magic products, it seems the issue of resealed boxes on there have gone down fairly significantly.

The obvious downside is that if your box is hosed up on its own or you do still get some tampered product, you're totally hosed.

Strong Sauce posted:

I think the whole repacking issue has been blown way out of proportion. even the timespiral video one was pretty suspect. the only one i really thought was the Modern Horizons (or some Modern set) the Power9 guy on YouTube bought and even then it wasn't clear he bought directly from Amazon or from a third party on Amazon.

Naw, it was pretty widespread. Amazing took all returns no questions asked. Which means people who knew what they were doing would buy the product, search it, reseal it, send it back, and amazon would just stick it back in a warehouse waiting for someone new to pick it back up. Sometime back in the summer amazon adjusted their returns policy to not include collectables, though.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 21, 2021

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My boy lost in round one of top 8 to Indomitable Creativity on Scales, but the Dive Down crew got to interview him before hand.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
GW is so loving bad in this limited format.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I am heartened to see Infect in the top 8 at Vegas. Modern is back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Dropped from the limited main event after 5 round, none of my losses really deserved. Not sure what to do now, as it's absolutely impossible to build new decks with what's available, there's basically no Midnight Hunt singles at all.

Why is Exquisite Blood worth so much now? Just commander or is it part of a combo again?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Look two posts up

woops

I appreciate that the artist proofs curl just as much as actual cards though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dropped from the limited main event after 5 round, none of my losses really deserved. Not sure what to do now, as it's absolutely impossible to build new decks with what's available, there's basically no Midnight Hunt singles at all.

Why is Exquisite Blood worth so much now? Just commander or is it part of a combo again?

every single casual loving loves the exquisite blood sanguine bond combo

sorry for your loss Invictus :sympathy:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

It was only printed 1.5 times, is part of an infinite combo, and commander. It's also got a mostly unique effect.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

The World Inferno posted:

Went to buy a draft booster box of Crimson Vow and my LGS was selling it for $140. Is that actually what they're selling for now generally? Online I'm seeing it closer to a hundred.

The LGS I work at has them for $110 and we got plenty, in fact it's the only product we didn't get limited on for crimson vow that isn't commander decks due to supply chain issues. We were told that eventually Wotc would catch up and have everything available normally later but pre-release/release was going to be less than what we were used to being able to get. $100 is the "no rent no lights no doors" price for cave toads with Pitney Bowes machines and I happily paid the $10 or $20 for set booster boxes when I was a customer to help chip in to keep the lights on and the doors open.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

The LGS I usually buy from has a good sale going right now. Got draft boxes at $90

https://www.minmaxgames.com/collections/magic-the-gathering

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BizarroAzrael posted:

There aren't any side events?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There aren't any side events?

Lmgtfy

https://my.cfbevents.com/event/165/schedule

Also I'm here and playing in the double up and stuck here until like 6 so come find me. Look at the dive down Twitter to see what I look like.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ShaneB posted:

Lmgtfy

https://my.cfbevents.com/event/165/schedule

Also I'm here and playing in the double up and stuck here until like 6 so come find me. Look at the dive down Twitter to see what I look like.

Are you the white guy in basketball shorts and a T-shirt with the backwards baseball hat?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

Are you the white guy in basketball shorts and a T-shirt with the backwards baseball hat?

Truly hope not

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Strong Sauce posted:

also peppercrab, a goon, is starting up and also selling at $90. https://fortunagames.square.site/

Hey I've sold that guy cards. He seems really nice, you'd have no idea he was a goon.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just played my first Premium Draft and got 6 wins but really should have had 7. I went 5-1 and then my last 3 games I either drew 1 mana in 5 turns, or I drew 4-5 mana for 5 turns with nothing to spend it on. I managed to win one of those but it truly was some frustrating poo poo considering I had some really great cards in the deck that I never saw after my first 4 games.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
After getting the rest of cloudpost back in January/updating a bit with mh2 I bit the bullet and bought a tabernacle. The mtg addiction is real

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Please tell me you didn't spend ten thousand+ dollars on a piece of cardboard

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

good lord no, way less than that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Silhouette posted:

Please tell me you didn't spend ten thousand+ dollars on a piece of cardboard

They are like 3k, not 10.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Well what's the point if you're not buying a playset.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot even conceive the mindset of someone wanting to drop thousands on a legacy card in tyool 2021. There's nowhere to play, the format has no long term future, and serviceable counterfeits are mere dollars.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They are like 3k, not 10.

That's still bad!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I cannot even conceive the mindset of someone wanting to drop thousands on a legacy card in tyool 2021. There's nowhere to play, the format has no long term future, and serviceable counterfeits are mere dollars.

Think of it like a Bored Ape that you can Crop Rotation for.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we have fairly regular legacy tournaments here though??

and let's not start the counterfeit argument again. at least you used the term counterfeit instead of proxy

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I would certainly wager that that Tabernacle will be worth more than you bought it for in a year or two, if nothing else.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Magic the Gathering kicks rear end

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's still bad!

Meh, it's fine. People spend more than 3k on other stupid poo poo that you can't do anything with.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The World Inferno posted:

Well what's the point if you're not buying a playset.

You crop rotation for your one of and save 9 thousand dollars.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anybody's LGS doing the store championship in a couple weeks? Mine is doing modern so I'm definitely gonna go

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Huge if true

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Happy 100 pages everyone

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Anybody's LGS doing the store championship in a couple weeks? Mine is doing modern so I'm definitely gonna go

Mine canceled all events until further notice starting today due to the Corona situation here in Germany, thanks to 25% unvaccinated fucks ruining it for everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

Mine canceled all events until further notice starting today due to the Corona situation here in Germany, thanks to 25% unvaccinated fucks ruining it for everybody.

Das tut mir leid :(