Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Play Forgotten City!

I noticed on there after all the talk about it in the PS5 thread. Definitely on my short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

They’re all addictions for weirdos , that’s money you could spend on games or weed

Why would you waste money on games when you have gamepass

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Just looking at gamepass now for the first time in like 5 years and Jesus, it's wild how much stuff is on there. So many 'wait for a sale" games I've had on the backburner I can just play for a monthly cost now.

is the Halo campaign going to be on gamepass when it launches? E: i guess I could have just googled that in 2 seconds and the answer is yes, lol.

Congrats. Yeah an underrated part of its value is how well curated the library is, they're good at adding stuff that I want to try but would pass on at full price. And as previously mentioned everything MS publishes will go up at launch. It'll be nice to have another PS5 thread poster talking about games and surreptitiously avoiding mention of how they got them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

It'll be nice to have another PS5 thread poster talking about games and surreptitiously avoiding mention of how they got them.

:ninja:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamepass game launches are becoming the core of "the conversation" about new releases and any game thats not on there loses out on a huge base of word of mouth buzz --> influencer attention --> wider attention.
Indie games especially seem to either launch on gamepass or it may as well not be out.
Theres probably a couple people over at xbox that have a lot of influence over whats gonna get made by upper tier indie devs going forward if they chose to share their metrics

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Every time you recommend Psychonauts 2 I feel like it should come with a disclosure lol. Those poor people have to pay real money! For the PS4 version!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

Every time you recommend Psychonauts 2 I feel like it should come with a disclosure lol. Those poor people have to pay real money! For the PS4 version!!

My friend bought it on PS4 before I'd played it and said, and I quote, "it's good. load times are long", so I consider myself well-informed :cool:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Big agree on the value of gamepass as a curation tool. Forza and Halo are nice but I’m more impressed by how many games I’ve never heard of turn up on gamepass and end up being great. And since this happens consistently, I end up trusting the new arrivals more, which makes me download more titles blind, etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

I’m more impressed by how many games I’ve never heard of turn up on gamepass and end up being great. And since this happens consistently, I end up trusting the new arrivals more, which makes me download more titles blind, etc.

it's like the opposite of netflix lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have something confusing going on re: game pass:

So I gave up on waiting for a series X and got a series S, and all I have currently is a sub to gamepass PC. To my surprise, I was able to download Yakuza 7 on the S and launch it and everything, despite not having gamepass console or ultimate. I can't find any details about this anywhere but I also noticed I could download Forza on it as well. Is it like a hidden feature or something that if you have PC you can download and play current gen games on the X/S? I can't find information about this in anything about gamepass PC but it seems to be the case. All the older titles that were for Xbox One and older say "Get Ultimate" when I open the store pages for them.

If that's the case I can't even decide if I should pay the extra $5 for the old stuff if I'm going to keep getting free current gen games for the console with my PC sub. I still might but I dunno. Also as a side effect I noticed weirdly that there doesn't seem to be any convenient way to switch your sub from PC to ultimate, you have to just cancel it and add ultimate which is kind of odd.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have something confusing going on re: game pass:

So I gave up on waiting for a series X and got a series S, and all I have currently is a sub to gamepass PC. To my surprise, I was able to download Yakuza 7 on the S and launch it and everything, despite not having gamepass console or ultimate. I can't find any details about this anywhere but I also noticed I could download Forza on it as well. Is it like a hidden feature or something that if you have PC you can download and play current gen games on the X/S? I can't find information about this in anything about gamepass PC but it seems to be the case. All the older titles that were for Xbox One and older say "Get Ultimate" when I open the store pages for them.

If that's the case I can't even decide if I should pay the extra $5 for the old stuff if I'm going to keep getting free current gen games for the console with my PC sub. I still might but I dunno. Also as a side effect I noticed weirdly that there doesn't seem to be any convenient way to switch your sub from PC to ultimate, you have to just cancel it and add ultimate which is kind of odd.

Before going too far with this line of thought, make sure to check the type of Game Pass you have on here: https://account.microsoft.com/services

Always a real possibility that you may have accidentally or on purpose upgraded it to Ultimate for $1 and forgotten about it, though you're certainly describing some odd things that shouldn't happen if that's the case.

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zat posted:

Before going too far with this line of thought, make sure to check the type of Game Pass you have on here: https://account.microsoft.com/services

Always a real possibility that you may have accidentally or on purpose upgraded it to Ultimate for $1 and forgotten about it.

"All the older titles that were for Xbox One and older say "Get Ultimate" when I open the store pages for them." is the weird part

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress yeah.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

"All the older titles that were for Xbox One and older say "Get Ultimate" when I open the store pages for them." is the weird part

Yeah, I realized that right after posting. It does sound weird.

But it's still the first step I'd take, checking what exactly is listed on that Services page.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

My only thought is that Yakuza: Like a Dragon and the recent Forza games are all Play Anywhere titles, so those may work cross-platform with Game Pass for PC.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
In the console the only sub it has listed is my expired console sub from 3 years ago and on the PC it has an active game pass PC sub listed which does not show up on the services list on the Xbox

It seems to let me download anything with the X/S logo like Yakuza, Forza, flight sim, etc but as the previous poster said those are all cross platform

However I can't download say Yakuza 4 even though I can on PC so it seems like it has to be both cross platform and current gen

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

However I can't download say Yakuza 4 even though I can on PC so it seems like it has to be both cross platform and current gen

Yakuza 4 isn't Play Anywhere.

You'll probably see games like Recore and Gears 4 listed, too.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
My 10 year old bedroom Roku is dying. Are there any streaming devices out there that'll do Xbox Cloud/In Home Streaming in case I want to feel like a real deviant and game in bed?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I got my Xbox fridge today and life is complete.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I got my Xbox fridge today and life is complete.

Pics, please. I hope it's filled with bottles of mountain dew.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ive decided that cross gen, cross platform play is bad after waiting 10 minutes for a halo match to load off of my opponents' lovely platter hard drives

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Ive decided that cross gen, cross platform play is bad after waiting 10 minutes for a halo match to load off of my opponents' lovely platter hard drives

Unironic same

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I sometimes play Destiny 2 and any time we’ve a PS4 player in the fire team it’s excruciating

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I tried to see what playing on a mouse and keyboard would be like for the hell of it in a bot match and for whatever reason I couldn't turn my character around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make the last genners play via streaming so they have the same loading times, this is barely a joke.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

From doing IT, all hard drive types other than SSDs are unusably slow now on any modern OS, along with any newer software like games.

Even 2.5" SSDs can feel less than ideal at times, they're basically the new hard drive now, with on-board or M.2 SSDs being the way to go.

All other storage types are either for ancient setups (like consoles prior to this gen or "retro" PCs that aren't internet-connected and running a version of Windows before 10) or for cold/media storage like for a Plex server's secondary drive(s).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My work iMac from 2015 came with a loving HDD and would take, no joke, 5+ minutes just to boot to the OS and then if you wanted to load chrome it was another 5 mins, it was unbelievable

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My work iMac from 2015 came with a loving HDD and would take, no joke, 5+ minutes just to boot to the OS and then if you wanted to load chrome it was another 5 mins, it was unbelievable

I have a spare iMac from around the same time at work and yeah, it's insane how goddamn sluggish it is for a system that is otherwise very powerful.

For normal work (like basic OS/MS Office stuff), given the choice between like an Intel Celeron with 4gb of RAM and an SSD and a Core i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and a hybrid SSHD, the Celeron will likely be a far more useable system.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

From doing IT, all hard drive types other than SSDs are unusably slow now on any modern OS, along with any newer software like games.

Even 2.5" SSDs can feel less than ideal at times, they're basically the new hard drive now, with on-board or M.2 SSDs being the way to go.

All other storage types are either for ancient setups (like consoles prior to this gen or "retro" PCs that aren't internet-connected and running a version of Windows before 10) or for cold/media storage like for a Plex server's secondary drive(s).

One of the things I did a while after getting my OneX back in the day was to get an external SSD for it. Such a nice 'upgrade'. Despite the fact of games not being built with it in mind, and the fact it was connected via USB, it was *so* dramatically faster than stock. I did some before and after 'time to play' tests (that is time from lauching from the dash, to actively playing in the game world), and it was *minutes* faster in some cases.

I have a Series X now, and the external SSD is hooked up to it, but is now my 'slow bulk drive' for old-gen, non-enhanced games.

Edit: Also, when I made the transition, it was a nice user experience. The OS made it clear which games would benefit from being on the internal drive, and for *enhanced* games, it scheduled up the requisite downloads. I didn't need to do anything to make the SSD work on the new console; I just plugged it in as is.

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 21, 2021

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Couple weeks ago I went to Best Buy to get a new SSD since mine fried. Asked a guy where the internal drives were and he walked me over to a pile of spinning disks and I was like, I didn't even know they still make these.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1462330511771127812

Good deal on Game Pass Ultimate codes!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

It sucks because crossplay is almost always just "crossplay on/off" in most games. I don't want to play with last gen consoles and I usually would rather not deal with K&M players on PC either. But there is no reason not to want crossplay between current gen consoles.

Not that Halo is even on PS in the first place. I just mean in general.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Seltzer posted:

I liked forgotten city and would recommend it except for the fact that I got a glitch that makes it so I can't do the good ending and it's apparently not uncommon... Major bummer

Wonderful, I just started the drat thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't have any glitches and even if you needed to start the game again, it wouldn't be a major deal, it's super short

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but I did this yesterday and it works

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-black-friday-deal

$2 for 4 months of gamepass ultimate for new users, $15.99 for 4 months of gamepass ultimte for people who have already used gamepass.

Not 100% sure if it works for current subs though...

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Not 100% sure if it works for current subs though...

It does not work for current subs. You cannot have Ultimate at the moment for the 1:1 conversion to work.

Also, to benefit as much as possible, you can additionally buy 1–2.5 years of Live Gold before upgrading it all (Gold + the 3 months of GP PC) to Ultimate for $1 or $15 (price depending on if you had Ultimate recently or not).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wonderful, I just started the drat thing.

The glitch I got is not common, but also from googling not very rare either

I didn't have any glitches and even if you needed to start the game again, it wouldn't be a major deal, it's super short

I was taking my time with the game, did other endings first, and when I was piecing together everything after big reveals I spent a bunch of time trying to make one part work only to google and find out I was stuck for good. It was demoralizing enough that I have no desire to start over again. Cool game but you'd figure that would be fixed by now so I'm let down by it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have one from that era that I swapped an ssd in the month after I got it because apple was using such poo poo slow drives. I’m still using the system and it still feels fast even after rising new stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have one from that era that I swapped an ssd in the month after I got it because apple was using such poo poo slow drives. I’m still using the system and it still feels fast even after rising new stuff.

yeah their OS is very well written for SSD, I have an old MBP from 2012, not even retina, and with an interal SSD it feels super super fast. I'm so glad that none of the major consoles are using HDDs for anything any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I can’t believe they shipped the one X with a spinner

Shameful