Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Tarkov has a skill curve like skateboarding

Yeah, hopefully without the broken wrists.

I am learning 1 map at a time and it's difficult, I just want to unlock Jager and I have gotten lost in woods several times attempting to complete that.

It could be that I am on a single monitor set up right now and I am not good at glancing at a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Run Woods in Offline Mode without PVE to learn the route, Jaeger camp is near the crashed plane east of lumber mill.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Yeah, hopefully without the broken wrists.

I am learning 1 map at a time and it's difficult, I just want to unlock Jager and I have gotten lost in woods several times attempting to complete that.

It could be that I am on a single monitor set up right now and I am not good at glancing at a map.

Do the Prapor quest that gets you the compass. Print off a paper copy of the map if you need to. Learning woods is all about triangulating where you are relative to powerlines, roads, and those two mountain ranges in the distance. Woods is basically four quadrants split into the north and south by the central hills, the southeast and southwest by the lake, and the NE/ NW by whether there is the group of lakes. After awhile you get used to the map and can figure it out without needing maps too much.

If you see little red signs all in a line don't sprint through them.

Also once you get the compass, be aware that every map of customs you'll find is flipped, dorms and the big red warehouse are to the south and east, respectively.

Edit: also check your extracts. For example, if you have the outskirts extract you spawned in the NW/NE/SE quadrants. So if you see the big lake or a bombed out brick building it's the SE, if you a group of little lakes it's the NW, and if you don't see poo poo it might be the NE quadrant.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 21, 2021

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Idiot new player update part 3:

Good advice, I did the route, so I halfway know where I am going. Woods and Customs are the maps I can almost run by feel now.

I did 2 attempts and got murdered by PMCs, Went back to customs and lasted 2 minutes before eating it again.

I think PVE is on my future while I figure out how to hunt and kill dudes.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Haven't touched Tarkov in months and yet I still have The Dreams

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Idiot new player update part 3:

Good advice, I did the route, so I halfway know where I am going. Woods and Customs are the maps I can almost run by feel now.

I did 2 attempts and got murdered by PMCs, Went back to customs and lasted 2 minutes before eating it again.

I think PVE is on my future while I figure out how to hunt and kill dudes.
You've joined very late in the current "wipe" (think of other games' seasons where all gear is reset after a major balance / content patch) so don't feel too bad. Everyone who's been playing longer than you will have access to astoundingly effective ammo and armor thicker than concrete. There are a few guns you can buy cheaply or get frequently from your scav that will at least make you a glass cannon (i.e. buckshot to the legs or 7.62×54R to anything not clad in steel).

The game really opens up when you level up a few of the traders, namely Mechanic level 2 and Peacekeeper level 2, and it's night and day when you get the flea market at level 20. Quests are how you get there.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

The game really opens up when you level up a few of the traders, namely Mechanic level 2 and Peacekeeper level 2, and it's night and day when you get the flea market at level 20. Quests are how you get there.

They actually reverted flea market back down to 15 in October (which is more reasonable, especially for anyone joining later in the wipe IMO)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've never been anywhere close to good at this game so I keep bouncing off and coming back every so often to give it another go, but I've been having a series of good runs that I actually extracted with gear and managed to finish A goddamn quest finally (find Jaeger's thing) so I'm riding high. This is 100% because I lucked out and didn't encounter any real people on those runs but I can feel myself getting more familiar with Customs which is cool. Do people who are good at this game play fast and loose or are you crawling around at the slowest speed to avoid detection and waiting for someone's head to pop up? I could never tell if I should be running around like a madman and to just get better at acquiring targets and killing them first, or if it wants me to slow down and crouch walk at the lowest speed through bushes and really take my time. Or I guess is it more likely some combination of the two depending on what the situation asks for.

Another question; are people generally told to use a map to find where loot is before learning where everything is? I'm finding it hard to figure out where I should be going when I'm dropped into a game and once I'm looking for loot unless I see big obvious crates I feel like I am missing out on a lot of stuff just lying around.

I really want to like this game I'm just so bad at it :sigh:

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

explosivo posted:

Another question; are people generally told to use a map to find where loot is before learning where everything is? I'm finding it hard to figure out where I should be going when I'm dropped into a game and once I'm looking for loot unless I see big obvious crates I feel like I am missing out on a lot of stuff just lying around.

A map on a second screen helps if you are just starting. You should make learning the spawnpoints and exits a priority and ignore looting on your PMC until you are comfortable moving around.

Do your scav run as often as possible (Every 20 minutes when you are just starting out) to learn maps. Scavs tend to load in later in the raid with most of the sweatlords gone already and not having to worry as much about other players. As a scav you start every raid neutral to AI scavs (except for bosses) and as long as you don't initiate hostile actions, AI will leave you alone. Player scavs also in general won't shoot if you wiggle at them (Press "A" and "E" repeatedly).

By doing the scav runs you keep up cashflow and can learn about the map layouts without the constant stress of a PMC raid.

What helps is to define an objective for your PMC runs, like you did with the Jaeger task. Don't try to stay in raid as long as possible, get to your objective, get to extract, loot on the way, don't make detours to loot. (You need to be in raid 7 minutes or have gained I think 250 XP so the raid counts as "survived" so keep that in mind). After a while you will learn the spots that are contested (like Dorms on Customs, Sawmill on Woods, Resort on Shoreline etc) which again will help with surviving.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! That's all super helpful. I've been enjoying the scav runs for the reasons you mentioned but didn't know about them not aggroing. I remember reading generally scav on scav violence is frowned upon but is there a way to tell at a glance if someone I'm looking at is a scav or a PMC? Also lol about the wiggling, I had one exchange very early on where I looked to my right while taking cover and saw a dude standing beside me who wiggled and I left him alone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
A PMC will generally have a thick helmet and big backpack that you can notice at a distance, but that could still be a lucky scav who found one or more intact corpses. Some PMCs will have coloured arm bands you will notice up close if they regularly play with friends. The smartest thing to do is get into cover and hit F1 and see if you get a response of Russian poo poo-talk or silence.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hazzlebarth posted:

A map on a second screen helps if you are just starting. You should make learning the spawnpoints and exits a priority and ignore looting on your PMC until you are comfortable moving around.

Do your scav run as often as possible (Every 20 minutes when you are just starting out) to learn maps. Scavs tend to load in later in the raid with most of the sweatlords gone already and not having to worry as much about other players. As a scav you start every raid neutral to AI scavs (except for bosses) and as long as you don't initiate hostile actions, AI will leave you alone. Player scavs also in general won't shoot if you wiggle at them (Press "A" and "E" repeatedly).

By doing the scav runs you keep up cashflow and can learn about the map layouts without the constant stress of a PMC raid.

What helps is to define an objective for your PMC runs, like you did with the Jaeger task. Don't try to stay in raid as long as possible, get to your objective, get to extract, loot on the way, don't make detours to loot. (You need to be in raid 7 minutes or have gained I think 250 XP so the raid counts as "survived" so keep that in mind). After a while you will learn the spots that are contested (like Dorms on Customs, Sawmill on Woods, Resort on Shoreline etc) which again will help with surviving.

My only caveat (which is alluded to) here is that scav runs teach you map layout (which is extremely important), but not map flow (because of the random time and location you're joining), so you do need to spend some time learning/re-learning how they usually go since areas that you might mentally classify as "low danger" on scav runs are in fact extremely dangerous in the first few minutes of being on a PMC, and there are a few spawns where you're best served by aggressive pushing (or playing extremely passively if you want to avoid gunfights) because of their proximity to other PMC spawns/common travel routes. That's all stuff you'll pick up as you go, just sort of a warning that the scav map experience doesn't translate 1:1 with PMCs (also map flow can be very different depending on when you're playing during a wipe - locations that have important loot for hideout construction/quests will be much hotter early wipe).

explosivo posted:

I've never been anywhere close to good at this game so I keep bouncing off and coming back every so often to give it another go, but I've been having a series of good runs that I actually extracted with gear and managed to finish A goddamn quest finally (find Jaeger's thing) so I'm riding high. This is 100% because I lucked out and didn't encounter any real people on those runs but I can feel myself getting more familiar with Customs which is cool. Do people who are good at this game play fast and loose or are you crawling around at the slowest speed to avoid detection and waiting for someone's head to pop up? I could never tell if I should be running around like a madman and to just get better at acquiring targets and killing them first, or if it wants me to slow down and crouch walk at the lowest speed through bushes and really take my time. Or I guess is it more likely some combination of the two depending on what the situation asks for.

So the sound/speed thing is (like so much of this game) very experience based and situational. Good/knowledgeable players generally play quickly/aggressively and you'll see them sprinting everywhere (because movement is so strong), but at the same time sprinting too much is one of the easiest and most common ways for new players to die. Sprinting sounds carry something like 6x as far as walking and they're quite easy to spacially locate, so if you're running in the wrong area someone is going to be able to set up and ambush you easily. Conversely, if you're moving super slow you're hard to hear but if you get seen you're a sitting duck and it's often easy to reposition and come at you from another angle. That's where the map flow knowledge mentioned above really comes in handy, because it gives you a good sense of when/where you can "safely" sprint for movement purposes, and when you need to slow it down. Note that the dynamic also changes based on things like whether you're playing solo (much less risk running around when your team of buddies can stash your gear), what you're doing (i.e. blitzing high value loot spawns vs. questing while below the curve gear-wise), and whether you're in a big firefight (which makes it much harder to track sprinting accurately and radically ups the value of rapid repositioning - this depends on map knowledge though). I realize that's all frustratingly general, but the answer really is "some combination of the two depending on what the situation asks for."

At your level of experience (and playing solo), I'd definitely favor stealth though - it'll give you a better chance of getting deeper into raids and learning/hearing how people move, up your chances of getting ambushes off (since you're not going to be on equal-terms gear-wise), and at least for me it was easier to slow down and then learn how to re-integrate aggression/speed (the way I move/play now is very different from my initial approach, but trying to play how I do now without the requisite game knowledge wouldn't have worked well). This doesn't mean crouch walking at the slowest speed everywhere, but you do want to do things like walk, move from cover to cover, and periodically pause to listen (sound being at least as important as sight in this game).

In regards to maps/loot - definitely have a map up on a second screen (this can be a phone/tablet/printout, doesn't need to be a second monitor) so you can navigate the map, one showing loot is less essential because when you're starting out you're much better off focusing on learning and survival (and questing) than fighting over the most juicy loot on the map. I won't say don't refer to them - loot distribution varies in concentration across maps, you will ultimately need to know where to find certain categories of items, and it's always nice to learn about the jaeger caches, but it's knowledge that will come with time and should generally be a lower priority. Instead, in addition to the things previously mentioned, at this stage you want to be focusing on learning how to loot effectively (i.e. quickly identifying items that are/are not worth keeping [either for vendoring, selling on the flea market, or your own quests/hideout], quickly transferring items to/discarding items from your bag so as to maximize roubles per slot in a full bag while keeping time spent staring at inventory in-raid to a minimum, and then successfully extracting). You may know all this already, but make sure you know (and likely rebind) your drop item key, know how to ctrl and alt click items (to quickly transfer them to/from your backpack and equip them directly to your PMC, respetively), how to rotate items, and how to quick drop your backpack (for getting into gunfights after you've collected all that swag).

explosivo posted:

Thanks! That's all super helpful. I've been enjoying the scav runs for the reasons you mentioned but didn't know about them not aggroing. I remember reading generally scav on scav violence is frowned upon but is there a way to tell at a glance if someone I'm looking at is a scav or a PMC? Also lol about the wiggling, I had one exchange very early on where I looked to my right while taking cover and saw a dude standing beside me who wiggled and I left him alone.

It used to be simple to determine via movement, but they've improved scav AI to the point it's much easier to get fooled. You can still generally tell after a while, but it takes some practice. In addition to the f1 thing (which is potentially risky), you can wait to see if they'll chatter (ai scavs periodically drop distinctive voice lines), or use visual identification - as noted silhouettes are distinctive but not necessarily determinative, but scavs/pmcs have different clothing sets that you can learn to recognize if you can get a good look. Mind you some of the outfits are darned close (and it can be even harder once body armor gets involved), but even just knowing that white/red tracksuit top definitely = scav can be a big help.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, thank you, that's all really really good stuff. It also sorta tells me I've been on the right track I just need the familiarity of the levels like the flow thing you mentioned. Like I have no idea what is a honeypot in these levels so I'm probably openly sprinting through killzones and have no idea.

Followup question; are there any tips for inventory management that would be useful to know? I'm already bumping up against the upper limit of my stash space and I think I might need to start selling stuff but don't know what. I'm seeing as a standard edition user that I should probably get rid of anything I can easily buy from a trader like extra mags and cheap guns?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 22, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

explosivo posted:

drat, thank you, that's all really really good stuff. It also sorta tells me I've been on the right track I just need the familiarity of the levels like the flow thing you mentioned. Like I have no idea what is a honeypot in these levels so I'm probably openly sprinting through killzones and have no idea.

Followup question; are there any tips for inventory management that would be useful to know? I'm already bumping up against the upper limit of my stash space and I think I might need to start selling stuff but don't know what. I'm seeing as a standard edition user that I should probably get rid of anything I can easily buy from a trader like extra mags and cheap guns?

Basically yeah, you have it precisely - standard edition inventory management can be rough. You need to be ruthless about vendoring items until you have flea market, and then be ruthless about listing things. The opportunity cost is fairly high for every item you hold onto, so its often better to just accept that you're losing some % of the value and keep things in roubles/dollars until you've expanded your inventory space/gotten enough containers, and only hang onto the things you really need (good keys, a subset of FIR quest items that are sufficiently obnoxious to find/small/near-term-turn-in enough to justify warehousing [somewhat subjective, so you probably won't know what these are for you until next wipe], good ammo/meds you're going to use in the immediate future, etc). If you can buy it from a vendor (and later on the flea market) at an acceptable price you're better off letting them warehouse it for you. It gets easier once you have flea market access, since it greatly expands your gear availability (if at a price), and you won't feel the same pressure to hold onto non-essential stuff to avoid leaving significant money on the table (less of a concern before you get used to having flea market access, but can be painful in subsequent wipes).

Beyond that it's just the usual inventory tricks (backpacks stacked inside one another to infinity, and using tactical rigs [and similar items like wallets] that are bigger on the inside than the outside to generate more space), and making expanded inventory space + containers high priorities when planning progression.

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 22, 2021

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

explosivo posted:

good questions

Hello Fellow Newbie!

Let me tell you from my limited experience that I prioritized learning looting over survival and had a bad time never being able to extract. I think customs is the only 1 I can run without a map currently, and so far I have failed all my Jaeger Attempts.
I am having a blast though, and I have no clue why.

I hope your learning goes better than mine, I definitely started the wrong way.

What I have been told is give the game a month, and after that, upgrade your edition, which is what I plan on doing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a couple really good (scav) runs today, one of my biggest issues is getting in my own head which I think is why I do better as a scav. I keep finding myself frozen in fear while nervously scanning the area for 10 minutes because I don't want to leave the relative safety of the bush I'm cowering in. I also keep hugging the walls of the map to make it to extraction which I have to imagine is a terrible idea. Definitely having a better time though now that I have a better grasp of what the hell I should be doing.

Edit: oh also I'm second guessing who I'm shooting as a scav all the time now.. I had a guy wiggle at me as I started peppering him with bullets from my uzi and felt real real bad so I ran away :smith:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

explosivo posted:

Had a couple really good (scav) runs today, one of my biggest issues is getting in my own head which I think is why I do better as a scav. I keep finding myself frozen in fear while nervously scanning the area for 10 minutes because I don't want to leave the relative safety of the bush I'm cowering in. I also keep hugging the walls of the map to make it to extraction which I have to imagine is a terrible idea. Definitely having a better time though now that I have a better grasp of what the hell I should be doing.

Edit: oh also I'm second guessing who I'm shooting as a scav all the time now.. I had a guy wiggle at me as I started peppering him with bullets from my uzi and felt real real bad so I ran away :smith:

Yeah it's pretty hard to tell scav from non scav when you are first starting.

After a while you will be able to mostly tell if the sounds you are hearing are made by an npc or a player, then from there you can do like the other poster mentioned by spamming F1 and see if the other player responds as a pscav or if they are silent bc they are a PMC and can't mumble back.

Generally when you scav in and there's like 15 mins left on a raid you can be pretty certain that there's only like one or two players still in the raid and they are likely trying to make it out. If you hear shooting just avoid that portion of the map while looking for loot or piles of dead bodies in hot pvp zones.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you hear shooting just avoid that portion of the map while looking for loot or piles of dead bodies in zerg headfirst towards hot pvp zones and hope for some PMC loot pinatas.

To each their own, but the unevenness of PMC vs Scav violence is good for practicing positioning and ambushing, as those are your only real chance for a win outside of headeyes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DrHammond posted:

To each their own, but the unevenness of PMC vs Scav violence is good for practicing positioning and ambushing, as those are your only real chance for a win outside of headeyes.
Sweep Shoot the leg, Iosef

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
https://streamable.com/7xulo

ez 1v3

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lmao are you still posting clips where you're net limiting, goddamn

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Orv posted:

Lmao are you still posting clips where you're net limiting, goddamn
What's that?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Shumagorath posted:

What's that?

essentially a lag switch as was used in the video, that's what the windows noises are when he peeks to engage

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Looks like it's pretty easy to kill people when they don't have the capability to shoot back, aim at you or engage you in any way. Weird loving loser.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

forest spirit posted:

essentially a lag switch as was used in the video, that's what the windows noises are when he peeks to engage
I had the audio off. Is he making some kind of lag bubble where he moves and shoots in advance of his displayed position?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah you're essentially taking the moment you peek and making your connection hiccup so your client side becomes cut off, letting you shoot them first. you see them and shoot and by the time the info is sent to the server you've already told it you won the coin toss and it takes your word for it

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

The Clap posted:

Looks like it's pretty easy to kill people when they don't have the capability to shoot back, aim at you or engage you in any way. Weird loving loser.

i think u need to turn ur monitor on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Clip from 01/2020, don't have anything more recent, do you?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

giZm posted:

Clip from 01/2020, don't have anything more recent, do you?

nah haven't played in nearly a year, game dog poo poo

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

what a weird series of posts

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

nah haven't played in nearly a year
Gee I wonder why.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Methinks he was hoping no one would check the date on that clip lol

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Question: Do you enjoy anything?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Worth it.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 28, 2021

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Catsplosion posted:

Question: Do you enjoy anything?

yes, lots of stuff, just not really playing this game in it's buggy broken state

if they rolled back to pre-FiR flea change i'd be game to play again and pwn n00bs

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only thing broken is your posting.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Why do you post like you're on 4chan in the mid-2000s?

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

wait this isnt 4chan

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

if they rolled back to pre-FiR flea change i'd be game to play again and cheat with a lag switch to pwn Nikita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Continue to feed him, he returns to the thread every 6-8 months to troll a new round of players.

If you are going to post lovely videos, at least go back to montages of camping factory exit