Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is violence. I've done 120V charging when visiting family or AirBNB for a few days but screw that.

This reminds me that the Target near me has Volta chargers limited to 12A. Wow, thanks for the 2kW charging.

lol owned

Literally every Target in my region is a Electrify America station with at least 5 stations for L3, with a few also doing L2. I'm guessing that there was some high level corporate mandate taking advantage of the credits to build charging stations and then certain managers went "have Joe run some conduit and stick a few 15A outlets near the parking lot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Volta charger at Target used to be 24A. The city hasn't given them permission to turn the advertisements on their giant screens so maybe they lowered the power in protest.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Tesla had the top spot last year so you may need to rethink some things

Genuinely asking: why do I need to rethink anything? I’ve had about as many early-ownership issues with my Tesla as I did with my Kia, but the Tesla was stuff like a coat hook that wouldn’t latch and the Kia was cruise control/emergency braking/cameras not working. It’s under warranty for most of the time that I’m likely to own it, and my experience with the service center has been above-average.

Ignoring Tesla specifically, CR saying things like “Electric SUVs as a vehicle category is the absolute bottom in terms of reliability” is going to hinder adoption of electric vehicles overall. Maybe it won’t matter (after all, their average subscriber age is above 60, which is not a demographic known for accepting change), but taking the stance of “new technology is scary and adding bells and/or whistles makes things bad” seems less fact-based and more pandering.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sonic Dude posted:

Genuinely asking: why do I need to rethink anything? I’ve had about as many early-ownership issues with my Tesla as I did with my Kia, but the Tesla was stuff like a coat hook that wouldn’t latch and the Kia was cruise control/emergency braking/cameras not working. It’s under warranty for most of the time that I’m likely to own it, and my experience with the service center has been above-average.

Ignoring Tesla specifically, CR saying things like “Electric SUVs as a vehicle category is the absolute bottom in terms of reliability” is going to hinder adoption of electric vehicles overall. Maybe it won’t matter (after all, their average subscriber age is above 60, which is not a demographic known for accepting change), but taking the stance of “new technology is scary and adding bells and/or whistles makes things bad” seems less fact-based and more pandering.

Unless, of course, it's actually true. Perhaps manufacturers should focus more on the basics of car manufacturing and getting it right rather than spending all their time and money on electronic gizmos that don't work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

Having unreliable vehicles that have taken on the “we will patch it later” model of development will also hinder adoption. But what will hinder it the most is these things being expensive and difficult to charge at home and CR doesn’t have poo poo to do with that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I really want that damned CCS-Tesla adapter. Could've used it today at this bizarre mall in Phoenix, with 8 EA chargers and one car, a Taycan. The two J1772 EVGo chargers on the other side of the mall were in use by a Tesla and i3.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I really want that damned CCS-Tesla adapter. Could've used it today at this bizarre mall in Phoenix, with 8 EA chargers and one car, a Taycan. The two J1772 EVGo chargers on the other side of the mall were in use by a Tesla and i3.

It seems pretty imminent. I think 2021.40.x shows you whether you have the hardware to support the CCS adapter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Enough with the very low content posting please. I dont mind ya'll chatting and shitposting but that last page was painful

Also much prefer Musk's twitter aint posted, leave that to C-SPAM to mock pls.

Thank yoooooooooooooou!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
CR's data is based upon survey data. They say the drivetrains are reliable but the in car electronics are not, which is true for ICE vehicles too. They give the Mach E a good rating so far. They just said as a group they're rated below average, with the E Tron and Model X bringing them down.

Those articles that "quote" CR always try to sensationalize it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

They're everywhere

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey, if they're handing them out, I'll take one.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Only a Porsche owner would be able to afford Ionity charging. (I realize they have special offers through car manufacturers and local utility companies, it was a joke)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my hamster car

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

I love my hamster car

I got an ICE one as a loaner from the dealership and quite liked it! Seems like an extremely practical body shape while being fairly compact.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

You should rethink the view that CR is just taking the stance of “new technology is scary and adding bells and/or whistles makes things bad” because that is actually just not true. Most of the cars at the top of reliability have all of the bells and whistles you could ever expect from a modern vehicle. Tesla lost standing for their tendency to suddenly break things; from the article, "At almost random times during the year Tesla will switch major components, suppliers or sensors and other units. The more you change, the greater the chances you’re going to have some problems.”

The top spot for reliability last year was apparently a Tesla, and their rankings are based on polling actual owners of these vehicles. So this is really a problem with driver perception more than CR editorialization. If electric SUVs are at the bottom in reliability according to the actual drivers of those vehicles, then it sucks that this will reduce adoption but that's not a good enough reason to lie about the scores.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
lmao gently caress you

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Imagine asking 96k for a toyota with a straight face

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I assume that these insanely high markups on fairly pedestrian cars are really there to make the 10k markup that they ultimately sell it for seem reasonable by comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I assume that these insanely high markups on fairly pedestrian cars are really there to make the 10k markup that they ultimately sell it for seem reasonable by comparison.

it’s in Oakland, which is San Fran/Oakland metro. Somebody will buy it. Just give it enough time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s in Oakland, which is San Fran/Oakland metro. Somebody will buy it. Just give it enough time.

I doubt it. They aren’t actually impossible to find on the west coast if you’re willing to drive a bit or wait a bit. The markup is an anchor, not a realistic ask. It’s just there to start the negotiations high.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I doubt it. They aren’t actually impossible to find on the west coast if you’re willing to drive a bit or wait a bit. The markup is an anchor, not a realistic ask. It’s just there to start the negotiations high.

I wouldn’t put it past a rich expat, but ok

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This jibes with my experience of dealing with Toyota (and Honda!) dealerships. Just straight up "yeah you'll fuckin buy it and like it, bitch!" vibes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Just straight up "yeah you'll fuckin buy it and like it, bitch!" vibes

Toyotathon!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Who else besides Tesla is skipping the dealerships? Lucid? Rivian?

The only non-awful dealership around here is Volvo/Mazda. And they're only not horrible to you because they're already making bank off you.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

Imagine asking 96k for a toyota with a straight face

Imagine asking for an 80% markup over MSRP for pretty much any car with a straight face. Though I had heard that wasn't unheard of before dealers were mandated to display MSRP (though that was also way before the internet).

Holy fucktards, and I thought the past couple years of price hikes to the Tesla Model Y was nasty. At least with Tesla, the money goes to the company that has been investing in the goal of making EVs a practical option for the average motorist, as opposed to some useless middleman.

And now my 2010 Prius is due for some major service (as well as leaking or burning oil - I've put in 4 quarts since my last oil chance), uncomfortably reminding me of its mortality. If the chip shortage isn't remedied soon, I don't know what I'm going to do.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao nobody subscribes to consumer reports, they go to their local public library and check through back issues there

I subscribe to Consumer Reports.

(Admittedly it's the web-only subscription, but still).

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think jump starting is a bit of problem with the design of Tesla vehicles. Yes, it is trivial to do if you know the procedure and have the equipment to do so, the problem comes from if you want to carry that equipment in said Tesla. When the 12v dies, it is impossible to access any of the storage areas of the vehicle without an external power source. So if you have jumper cables in the trunk or frunk they are completely useless because you would need them outside the car to even be able to open the trunk or frunk in the first place. Same for keeping one of those lithium ion jump starter battery packs in the glove box/frunk/trunk, completely useless because the vehicle cannot be opened until the 12v system is already powered. Basically for cars with physical keys it is possible to store and access everything you need to jump start the vehicle in its own storage spaces, but with a Tesla you are entirely dependent on someone else having all that equipment in their vehicle and have it all be in working order to be able to jump yours.

Basically when I had an ICE with a physical key, I had a set of good heavy jumper cables in the trunk. But I deliberately gave them to the person I sold the car to because I knew they would be totally useless in the Tesla I replaced it with. Because what good are jumper cables in the car if you have to jump the car to open it and get the cables?

My wife's 2017 Ioniq Hybrid handles a dead 12V battery better than my Model 3.

If the 12V battery dies on the Ioniq Hybrid, you press a "battery reset" button on the dashboard and it will charge the 12V battery from the main 1.56kWh hybrid battery.

Also, the Ioniq's 12V battery is supposedly lithium ion rather than lead-acid.

Tesla should definitely copy both of these features.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrPablo posted:

Tesla should definitely copy both of these features.

The first one, gently caress yes. It feels real dumb to have kilowatt hours of power stored that you cant get to. I think Tesla is already all Li-ion 12v batteries now though. Mine is still lead acid. :(

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, for the most part a 120v/15A outlet is not for useful charging an EV, it is only really useful for making sure the EV doesn't lose charge while it is parked there.

If you don't drive very much on average a 120V/15A outlet is perfectly fine for EV charging if you don't drive very much each day on average.

I drive less than 40 miles per day on average and I charge my Model 3 at home with a 120V/15A outlet.

Our soon-to-be neighbors own a Mach-E and yesterday I noticed that they also charge the Mach-E at home with a 120V/15A outlet.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

MrYenko posted:

The first one, gently caress yes. It feels real dumb to have kilowatt hours of power stored that you cant get to. I think Tesla is already all Li-ion 12v batteries now though. Mine is still lead acid. :(

That's awesome. I didn't know Tesla had switched to a 12V lithium ion battery.

Fak edit: According to this article, only the 2021 refreshes of the Model S and Model X have the 12V lithium ion battery at the moment.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Rescue Toaster posted:

Who else besides Tesla is skipping the dealerships? Lucid? Rivian?

Polestar 2 can be ordered online and shipped to you.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Cockmaster posted:

Holy fucktards, and I thought the past couple years of price hikes to the Tesla Model Y was nasty. At least with Tesla, the money goes to the company that has been investing in the goal of making EVs a practical option for the average motorist, as opposed to some useless middleman.

Yes but don’t forget some of that goes directly to Elon Musk’s shitposting which apparently is more of a travesty than an Xbox assembled by a child slave.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yes but don’t forget some of that goes directly to Elon Musk’s shitposting which apparently is more of a travesty than an Xbox assembled by a child slave.

tell us how you really feel :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone here have any experience with leasing an EV in terms of the tax credit? I’m beginning to think that buying one now may not be the best course of action given what’s coming down the line in just a few years so I’m thinking try to find a good lease offer, give the EV life a go, then in ‘23-24 we might be past chip apocalypse hell and things like the ioniqs and lightings should be in the wild for not as insane launch pricing?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I would not make any assumptions about chip apocalypse hell ending by '23-24. This is a hole from lack of investment that the industry has been digging for more than a decade, it will probably take multiple decades to dig back out again if anyone is even willing to sacrifice the quarterly profits to do so (unlikely).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

With a lease, the dealer takes the credit. You just make sure that you’re negotiating your lease with that in mind.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would not make any assumptions about chip apocalypse hell ending by '23-24. This is a hole from lack of investment that the industry has been digging for more than a decade, it will probably take multiple decades to dig back out again if anyone is even willing to sacrifice the quarterly profits to do so (unlikely).

Not being able to make and sell things is also a pretty big hit to quarterly profits. More fab capacity will be built because it’s profitable to do so and will continue to get profitable to do so because demand for semiconductors is only going to increase. Yes, it takes a long time to get fabrication capacity online, but not decades, and some expansion capacity is already under construction.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But there's a real risk of overbuilding capacity as an industry, which tanks prices for everyone. This has happened many times in the semiconductor industry. Which is why many companies aren't eager to expand capacity without getting government subsidies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah intel is spending something like $10bn over the next 6 years on new fabs and fab expansion outside of Asia. F