Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well this thread's been dead for a little while,
Let's look at some new news in the grand ole Europe

Rotterdam police guns down protestors in an anti covid lockdown protest.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/rotterdam-mayor-slams-violent-covid-19-protests-scores-arrested-2021-11-20/
One of those incidents where it's difficult to empathize with either side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BabyFur Denny posted:

One of those incidents where it's difficult to empathize with either side

I heard this enough times about the Syrian civil war to be sussed out by it

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I heard this enough times about the Syrian civil war to be sussed out by it

Yeah but this time it's about the Dutch

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Cops shouldn't do warning shots. Either shoot to kill or don't shoot at all. Sure, there are protestors that I'd be more sad about them shooting, but it's not like I expect them to be more restrained against people protesting in favor of something good.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cops shouldn't do warning shots. Either shoot to kill or don't shoot at all. Sure, there are protestors that I'd be more sad about them shooting, but it's not like I expect them to be more restrained against people protesting in favor of something good.

I believe this is American gun dogma. Official policy in Turkey is to fire warning shots, and Turkish police kill far fewer people than American ones. I’d rather take my chances with the Turks.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

Official policy in Turkey is to fire warning shots, and Turkish police kill far fewer people than American ones. I’d rather take my chances with the Turks.

Why does Constantinople say that works?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Either don't shoot at all or shoot to wound. And don't shoot at all. Also disband the police.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Osmosisch posted:

Why does Constantinople say that works?

Istanbul, not Costantinople.

And that's no one's business but the Turks'.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cops should be trained to shoot in a way that balances the likely harm caused by shooting with the likely benefit. The training should take into account that cops might misjudge the situation. The training should be evaluated and changed based on actual outcomes and not on dogma.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Wtf is going on in this thread

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

Either don't shoot at all or shoot to wound. And don't shoot at all. Also disband the police.

I believe this is also part of the guidance Turkish police are expected to follow — shooting in the legs is advised over shooting the torso or head. Hollywood and web forums seem to have planted this meme that shooting should always be to kill. The famously humane Turkish police is kinder than Americans, lmao.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Police killings are very rare in the Netherlands, especially gun killings and especially especially at protests. I wasn't in Rotterdam during the protests, but the protesters much have been going feral for the authorities to escalate to lethal force.

First a far-right member of our House of Representatives cryptically threatens another with lynching and now this. It's been a wearying week in the Netherlands.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

It's Turkish delight on a moonlit night.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mawarannahr posted:

I believe this is American gun dogma. Official policy in Turkey is to fire warning shots, and Turkish police kill far fewer people than American ones. I’d rather take my chances with the Turks.

Yeah, never ever take the standard operation protocol of US police force as the golden standard of police work. It's like you were following the insights of a German death camp commandant as a hotel manager.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For American cops, killing people is not a bug, it's a feature.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

American gun dogma is two-fold:

1. Shoot to kill
2. Shoot if you feel like it

The real problem is the second part. The more European (or non-American in general?) dogma of:

1. Do warning shots
2. Shoot only when you can actually justify the shot

Is obviously far better, but I'm not sure it's ideal. It should certainly be emphasized that any kind of firing a gun can be fatal, and often debilitating when not. Maybe I just don't like the term "warning shots", because it implies that those shots aren't actually potentially dangerous.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If US cop shows are anything to go by (lol), they seem to train their cops to target for center of mass, which is basically code for "unload a few slugs into someone's chest cavity". This seems to have some very glaring problems associated with it, starting with the fact that reasons to do this procedure might include "had a comb in their hand and looked dark-skinned". It is possible to at least try to incapacitate someone without murdering them, though obviously this is sometimes tricky if it's already a shooting match Old West style. Finnish cops aren't unproblematic, if you haven't heard of the Jari Aarnio case, it's probably better if you don't google that, but it seems that Finnish cops have shot ten people to death since the year 2000, (apologies for weird language article) which is still bad of course but the number seems low, even accounting for our low population.

All that said, shooting at protesters seems like a bad idea, though obviously no one wants to get pepper sprayed in the face either. But if I had to choose between getting pepper sprayed, or having a cop trying to shoot at me, I think I'd pick the spray.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

When there was a knife attacker in Finland who stabbed a bunch of people in name of Allah, police got there and popped one shot into his leg and arrested him (& started giving first aid)

Is aiming at lower limbs safe? Of course not.

Is it safer than aiming at the middle of the body? Very much yes.

Is firing warning shots safer than aiming at a crowd? Hell yes.

I have a feeling that we have debated this with A Buttery Pastry before and nothing has changed.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The Rotterdam stuff is a pretty horrifying escalation to see. I'm sure the anti-vaxxers were being nutty as usual, but anyone 18 months ago saying police forces in Western Europe would be using live fire ammunition on protestors would have been branded a complete tinfoil hat nut. Thats really not something that should happening in liberal democracies.

Rappaport posted:

If US cop shows are anything to go by (lol), they seem to train their cops to target for center of mass, which is basically code for "unload a few slugs into someone's chest cavity". This seems to have some very glaring problems associated with it, starting with the fact that reasons to do this procedure might include "had a comb in their hand and looked dark-skinned". It is possible to at least try to incapacitate someone without murdering them

The idea that you can selectively aim at body parts on a moving, possibly dangerous, target is only ever spouted by people who've spent too much time playing Call of Duty. In the real world hitting any moving target is hard, people are trained to aim for the center of mass because its the easiest thing to aim for. American police are maniacs because their response to many problems that would be de-escalated by other police forces is to pull out their guns and start firing away, not because of where on the body they're aiming their guns.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blut posted:

The idea that you can selectively aim at body parts on a moving, possibly dangerous, target is only ever spouted by people who've spent too much time playing Call of Duty. In the real world hitting any moving target is hard, people are trained to aim for the center of mass because its the easiest thing to aim for. American police are maniacs because their response to many problems that would be de-escalated by other police forces is to pull out their guns and start firing away, not because of where on the body they're aiming their guns.

I guess the finnish police must be very good at cod

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blut posted:

That's fair enough, I've never fired a gun so I have to rely on what I've read. In the cases I cited earlier, a lot of the time the cops just had to basically spray and pray because the situation was already pretty dire. But if you're "just" confronting someone, is it really not possible to at least try to aim towards something that has less vital organs in it than the chest? I realize a person can bleed out pretty quickly if you hit the right bits on the legs, etc., so it's by no means a fun situation for anyone.

To make it clear, I would prefer if cops didn't need to operate fire-arms, I'm not saying I want anyone shot in the legs or arms either.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Istanbul, not Costantinople.

And that's no one's business but the Turks'.

:hfive:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blut posted:

And yet German cops often use leg shots to subdue armed targets instead of shooting center mass. Turns out real life differs from the American cop propaganda you love spouting so much.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I feel that "direct shots" are different than "warning shots", reuters, unless policy equates both which hmmmm....

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I feel that "direct shots" are different than "warning shots", reuters, unless policy equates both which hmmmm....

The police in Rotterdam used both warning shots and shots aimed at people.

Though any use of a firearm always leads to an investigation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Blut posted:

Do American police even get any training?

imho maybe you should look at the evidence before you say a word more?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aiming for the legs is how you're supposed to use rubber bullets. Of course, American cops don't even do that.

There's a reason 'abolish the police' is the slogan, because the American police as an institution are utterly irredeemable murderous fascists.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It looks like some parts of the Dutch anti-vaxx and corona-denier movements have actually been itching for escalations for over a year. The police violence is by no means a good thing, but I sometimes wonder what society can really do about a vocal minority that's increasingly being whipped into a frenzy over idiotic conspiracy theories and is prepared to risk/use violence to press their issues. And it's certainly just not in the Netherlands (see: the Capitol attack in the US).

Antigravitas posted:

Though any use of a firearm always leads to an investigation.

Yeah, this too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Is firing warning shots safer than aiming at a crowd? Hell yes.
The real question is whether it's safer than not firing shots at all. Depending on how you do warning shots, you could end up causing harm to yourself, your colleagues, or random people far away from you. (Depending on whether you fire into the ground or at a high angle.)

Nenonen posted:

I have a feeling that we have debated this with A Buttery Pastry before and nothing has changed.
I don't even recognize you.

Nenonen posted:

Do American police even get any training?

imho maybe you should look at the evidence before you say a word more?
This doesn't really provide evidence for how you should shoot people, given that American cops literally go to work hoping they can kill someone. I'll happily clarify my position as "Only shoot if you can justify someone potentially dying" rather than "Shoot to kill", since accepting that firing a weapon is always a risk is what I'm actually after. Basically, will it have been justified if all three of those people die?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'll happily clarify my position as "Only shoot if you can justify someone potentially dying" rather than "Shoot to kill", since accepting that firing a weapon is always a risk is what I'm actually after. Basically, will it have been justified if all three of those people die?

A good point of view

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antigravitas posted:

And yet German cops often use leg shots to subdue armed targets instead of shooting center mass. Turns out real life differs from the American cop propaganda you love spouting so much.

Dutch police also mostly shoots at legs when they shoot, which is still kind of rare, though becoming more frequent with every passing year.

Americans will flat out refuse to believe that this is reality, but we can do better here in the EU thread.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It looks like some parts of the Dutch anti-vaxx and corona-denier movements have actually been itching for escalations for over a year. The police violence is by no means a good thing, but I sometimes wonder what society can really do about a vocal minority that's increasingly being whipped into a frenzy over idiotic conspiracy theories and is prepared to risk/use violence to press their issues. And it's certainly just not in the Netherlands (see: the Capitol attack in the US).

In Germany they're >50% Nazis (and 10% love to shake hands with Nazis, so hey ho):

And of course they have already murdered in cold blood and tried to storm parliament.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

In Germany they're >50% Nazis (and 10% love to shake hands with Nazis, so hey ho):

And of course they have already murdered in cold blood and tried to storm parliament.

In NL 70-90% of the anti-vax crowd are Nazi's at the least. Like there was literally a big poll published about this 3 days ago.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I thought you were talking about the cops before the part about storming parliament.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought you were talking about the cops before the part about storming parliament.

There are plenty of Nazis within the ranks of the German police, but not quite to that extend.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Orange Devil posted:

In NL 70-90% of the anti-vax crowd are Nazi's at the least. Like there was literally a big poll published about this 3 days ago.

Could you share a link to that poll? Cursory Google searches proved fruitless for me.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Antigravitas posted:

Andrast posted:

I guess the finnish police must be very good at cod

Individual cops obviously might get lucky and succeed in shooting someone in the leg. But its still not the official policy of any police forces to aim for limbs in Europe that I've seen information on, for obvious practicality reasons. Got some sources for Finland or Germany?

The big (positive) difference in official operating procedure in the EU is cops in most countries are trained that if you need to pull a gun, its in a life or death situation and you absolutely have to. So in that situation you aim to have the highest odds of disabling the target. But before it escalates to that situation they actually use de-escalation procedures, or less-lethal methods. In the US they're far, far more likely to just go straight to pointing a gun at someone (and probably shooting them).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It flows naturally from the Verhältnismäßigkeitsgrundsatz (Principle of Proportionality). Since a lot of it is state based and horribly fragmented and hard to access I'll just quote from an old version of the "Bekanntmachung des Bayerischen Staatsministeriums des Innern über den Vollzug des Polizeiaufgabengesetzes", i.e. the Bavarian regulations:

quote:

Regarding Art. 66 (General regulations for the use of firearms)
The use of firearms against people is the ultimate measure of direct coercion. The police officer must therefore carefully examine the necessity and proportionality beforehand.
If the firearm is used against people, it should be aimed at the legs if possible. It must be borne in mind that a missed shot can endanger human life. If a person is to be rendered incapable of escaping, the use of firearms is to be refrained from if the police officer can stop the escaping person without violating other duties by disadvantages or by means of physical force (e.g. service dogs) or by using force against objects.

(That's machine translated because I'm not going to do a proper translation of Behördendeutsch to German to English over an Internet argument)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Could you share a link to that poll? Cursory Google searches proved fruitless for me.

https://www.bndestem.nl/binnenland/ruzie-en-eenzaamheid-plagen-ongevaccineerden-grote-groepen-voelen-zich-heel-slecht~accbba11/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

This thread is never not weird