Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Flight Bisque posted:

I can't decide if Vinder knowing what a TARDIS is means something or not.

Like Occam's razor, it was probably just Chibbers subverting expectations* since everyone** is always surprised by it's entire deal, but I dunno, it just stuck out to me.

*I am loathe to bring that phrase into this thread, but it applies.

**you know what I mean.

It made me wonder whether the Vinder in the Jo Doctor segment was actually Vinder. His performance on that mission could have been what got him promoted to bodyguard. It seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He would have recognized the TARDIS immediately if that was the case, given we saw that Ruth-Doctor's TARDIS was still stuck in the police box shape that it first got into in her earlier and first ever incarnation as the William Hartnell Doctor.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1461650810266427393?s=20

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Please god don't let Bel and Vinder's child turn out to be the Doctor.

Any decent writer would have stopped themselves doing that, and yet I feel like it's going to happen anyhow, strangely enough.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Wolfechu posted:

Any decent writer would have stopped themselves doing that, and yet I feel like it's going to happen anyhow, strangely enough.

The doctor is half human. I'm pretty sure Bel is human so that means Vinder will now have to be the first time-lord. This writing thing is easy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

He would have recognized the TARDIS immediately if that was the case, given we saw that Ruth-Doctor's TARDIS was still stuck in the police box shape that it first got into in her earlier and first ever incarnation as the William Hartnell Doctor.

If Swarm wasn't lying, the TARDIS couldn't have gotten to Time if he hadn't patched Yaz and Vinder in as a quick repair to the Mouri. In the other mission, time was sufficiently confused that the Jo-Doctor apparently needed medication to protect against its effects. I'd assume the TARDIS couldn't have gone near the Temple under those conditions. (The Time Scoop could have dropped forces off, though if this was really a fight between space and time, a space ship would have been a better idea.)

If we'd seen Vinder do a "flicker" into someone else or if he'd done something distinctive, I might feel differently. But this looks like it could be a clever fake-out. Until Vinder meets Karvanista and they do or do not recognize each other, I consider the question open.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some very belated Once, Upon Time mp4s - click to view:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I steal them to post in a discord, but I think i'm maybe one or 2 people there that watch.
Screw em.
Thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's okay, technically speaking I "steal" them from Chris Chibnall! :)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
One thing i've been itching for is Jodie blurting out John Smith when someone asks her name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So glad he seems to be going strong, the ol' Chatterton genes are robust, eh dear boy!?!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

who the gently caress are bel and vinder. i might have to rewatch the last episode before the next because really, no clue who they are or why they're important or are characters at all.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Khanstant posted:

who the gently caress are bel and vinder. i might have to rewatch the last episode before the next because really, no clue who they are or why they're important or are characters at all.

Inston-Vee Vinder of Kasto-Winfer-Foxfell (aka Grey Worm) and his pregnant girlfriend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They timed the date nicely for this episode!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Once again, its NOT blinking that makes the angels move, its being entirely unobserved. 3 people backed into a corner with a light source are in no danger whatsoever unless they all happened to blink with both eyes a the exact same time multiple times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Your door was open."
"It most certainly was not."
"Well it was after I opened it!"

:allears:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Is that an inbetweener? (also Yaz can look while Dan fixes the torch because its BEING TOTALLY UNOBSERVED THAT AFFECTS THE ANGELS but I dont want to go on about it...)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Once again, its NOT blinking that makes the angels move, its being entirely unobserved. 3 people backed into a corner with a light source are in no danger whatsoever unless they all happened to blink with both eyes a the exact same time multiple times.

I was going to say that at least the darkness might excuse it but they literally just had the Angels move when Jericho blinked while the Doctor was looking directly at them :doh:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"early part of the 20th century?"
John Bishop, a man who was born in the 1960s, "So almost a hundred years before we are alive?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I assume the Angels have carved out a little piece of time/space to keep themselves safe from the Flux?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Meanwhile, in the now obligatory quarry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, giving them a voice is kind of pants.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, a voice and a society (or at least enough of one for them to form a squad). Any mystique they had left is rapidly being pissed up against the wall.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Can I just make the point that this can gently caress entirely off?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was a mess. It might have worked if they had just made it a story about the Doctor and companions in two time periods working together to try and solve the problem across time to stop the Angels, but instead it was peppered through with Vinder and Bel's storyline, the Division nonsense, and they directly contradicted or ignored their own "rules" about Angels constantly. I really wanted to like it and there were times it was very atmospheric or interesting, but that's definitely the absolute worst Angel story so far.

Just get on with it and say the Division is the "CIA" and it's the interim period between the 2nd and 3rd Doctor and get it over with please. Nobody cares and nobody believes the Doctor is the Timeless Child and it's just bad.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In Doom Coalition, Helen and Liv were able to keep Angels at bay by winking, not blinking.

At least the suspense was kept up, and it's probably the strongest horror episode of the Whittaker run.
Though if the Division is still active, that creates even more plot holes, like why they'd ignore the Doctor in all of her previous incarnations?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

In Doom Coalition, Helen and Liv were able to keep Angels at bay by winking, not blinking.

In Time of the Doctor, the Doctor just slapped some full length mirrors into the Angels' hands so they were constantly staring at themselves :laugh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Contradicting or ignoring rules around the Angels was also their creator's bread and butter, so Chibnall's doing really well from that point of view!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Also the Division didn't extract the Doctor when she was chilling in space prison for twenty years because....?
Are they even a Time Lord organization? They just seem to have increasingly absurd reach while also not really doing anything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay. That was bad. Partially its a general show issue;

The diminishing returns (and multiplying complications) of the Weeping Angels. Not all of this is Chibnells fault, which is why I'm calling it a general show issue. Blink is a stone cold classic episode, and a great introduction of a new enemy. Nothing they have added to the basic set up of blink has made anything better. "These angels are just flat out killing people! (because we dont want to have to deal with the complications raised by them moving people in time" was meh, whatever I guess, but then "the image of an angel becomes an angel" which is an ambigious statement that is poorly defined at best (what if you copy a video cassette that has a recording of an angel on it? If you had access to a DVD pressing factory could you run off a couple of million angels? what if you streamed an angel on twitch?), and the whole "you have an angel in your eye" thing was originally really a cheaty way to add tension to a single episode that could be quietly forgotten as "a weird thing that happened once" rather than just its a thing they can do now. The statue of liberty is an angel because gently caress it, why not.

Then this episode took all of that, aimed it at a wall and hit the nitros. Despite the Doctor stating out loud that they are quantum locked when they are being observed (and reminding us that they can quantum lock each other if they come face to face) the writers forgot both those rules for basically the whole episode. The angels moved if anyone blinked regardless of other people watching, they grabbed people when their hands couldnt be seen despite the camera plainly showing that Yaz and Dan could clearly still see their MASSIVE loving WINGS over the old couple.

Every flaw from a later angels episode puts in an appearance in this one; There are a hundred angels here, which (like Daleks or Cybermen) makes them less scary instead of more. Now a drawing of an angel counts as an image of an angel (how good does the drawing have to be? what about a stick figure? Or someone representing an angel with emoji?). Someone has an angel in their eye! Except this time its because they... Had a psychic vision of an angel? I think? And now they can do the time stealling thing if you brush against them while looking directly at them, which would be news to those angels in previous episodes who had to put the scary face on and be unobserved otherwise they might for example statue up while their hand is around a companions wrist... And also when they put you into the past they may give you a clue to pass on to the doctor for no particular reason. Dust from an angel falling in your eye will do it too. And also everyone is put back pretty much the exact same amount of time despite them saying theres no way of telling how far back they'd send you.

And hey, just in case you still thought the Angels had any trace of mystique left, lets have one of them talk. And talk. And loving talk (rationally I know the episode only lasted a total of 55 minutes, how did that scene on the brain beach manage to last for 6 hours? Just so dull, exposition pointing the camera at whoever is talking at the time). So now they have individuality, and enough society they can form a squad and work for others. And they're now just the sontarans with a musical statues gimmick, good job show.

Last week someone (sorry, I forget who) suggested that they thought it was going to turn out that the angels found themselves unable to feed due to the flux loving up the timestream, and they would turn out to actually be helping the doctor out of desperation. That would have been about a thousand times better than this nonsense.

I have other issues with the episode (and with the season in general) but gently caress I'm super annoyed about how badly they hosed up the angels. Tying it in with the division/timeless child nonsense really just was the milky drip on the end of the infected dick that was this script.

Bel and Jinders stuff was meh, whatever. Wasnt bad, but wasnt particularly great either, and interrupted whatever flow this episodes A-plot tried to have.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The angels have always been loving garbage. You can blink with one eye at a time, for gently caress's sake.

e: as pointed out more eloquently above.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2021

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

You're about 11 years too late for that complaint.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How did they speak in this episode? Did they have their own voices or was it another Angel Bob situation?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

How did they speak in this episode? Did they have their own voices or was it another Angel Bob situation?

They stole people's voices again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Full disclosure, I forgot entirely about angel bob! But gently caress, again, much like "theres an angel in your eye" that should have been quietly relegated to the "They did this once but we decided not to make it a thing" bucket. Plus at least angel bob was a little unnerving had at least some pathos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I forgot all about Angel Bob too! Still pants, but at least it has precedent (....pants precedent?)

The other thing regarding them dumping people back in time was that the original idea was supposed to be they sent you as far back as you had time left in your life, so you would basically live long enough to get back to the day you were originally sent back and that way they got to feed on the displaced time of your now non-existence. To be fair, they kind of screwed that up even in Blink since the Doctor only got dumped back a few decades as well, though I guess you could handwave that as Martha setting the precedent for how much time to send them back?

Basically, as others have said, the Angels worked best as a one-and-done because every follow-up appearance just waters them down or exposes the crack in their gimmick just a little more. It REALLY didn't help that they got wrapped up in the bullshit Division subplot since it further dilutes them. I actually quite liked the idea they had hauled a little piece of time/space out as a "Quantum Extraction" in order to survive the Flux, but nope they're just.... errand-boys for some crappy organization that is only surpassed by THE FORGE! from Big Finish as being utterly underwhelming and uninteresting.

I'd been very intrigued by the season up to this point, after this episode I just want it to be over with so we can just get past whatever "THIS WILL CHANGE DOCTOR WHO FOREVER AND STAMP ME IN THE ANNALS OF WHO LORE HISTORY!" bullshit Chibnall is aiming for and hope that it is at best underwhelming rather than incredibly awful. I hope this was just a low spot and the last couple of episodes improve and it somehow all ends up working or being good, but I don't have the highest of hopes.

Jodie Whittaker deserves so much better than this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

gschmidl posted:

The angels have always been loving garbage. You can blink with one eye at a time, for gently caress's sake.

e: as pointed out more eloquently above.

Angel's worst nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Wolfechu posted:

That felt like one of the less comprehensible episodes of Lexx. Like, strong 90s scifi series vibes

I've been thinking this too, they should stop having such vibrant starry backdrops for a universe that is being disintegrated, start putting some proper patches in the sky.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Village of the Angels mp4s - click to view:

At least there were some nice atmospheric shots in this episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the interests of positivity, I thought this was a nice return to form of the undercurrent from her first season (that was never really fully realized) of Yaz quietly doing all the stuff police training is SUPPOSED to teach you how to do, including managing the belligerent granddad and also laying out a far more effective search strategy (that was ignored) as well as asking for further information on the missing child so she'd be able to set her at ease if she happened to find her.