Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
A quick and probably basic question as it’s been a while since I played SMT4. Getting into this and still early, I jumped into essence fusion and wanted Dio from a fairy but ended up overwriting/wiping out the main character’s lightning magic by mistake, thinking I could keep both. How do I get it back or make sure I don’t do it again in the future? Thought selecting a target for fusion meant I could inherit their magic while keeping mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You simply didnt select the skill when filling out your skill list.

Applying an essence to Nahobino / other demons will list all their existing skills + the new ones and you need to pick which ones to keep.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The only way to do it without wasting a number of skill slots is using the Demifiend's essence, which gives full null element and status effects.

Do you have to buy dlc for that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

Do you have to buy dlc for that?

Yes, he's the superboss at the end of the Fiend DLC.

The DLC is worth getting anyways even if you have 0 desire to fight a superboss because all the Fiends it adds are both very good and also fun fights.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Yo, for all who are into SMTV, how is it?

I don't follow games anymore, so I barely looked at it, but I found that Persona 5 was a major disappointment. From its pretentious story and, frankly, some hosed up and offensive moments (sexual harassment is bad, here's a joke about Ann in uncomfortable costume/situation), to poor pacing, I wasn't a fan.

Do SMT games have similar things? I've played some of Nocturne, but as far as I understand they're all different enough.

SMT does not employ the same kind of anime humor as Persona. It has it, but less in the realm of gag violence and sexual jokes, and more about how "look at our adorable mascot just like Pen-Pen from NGE! Only, he's a bloodthirsty monster-ho and comes in a variety of other bloodthirsty flavors!"

You will go many, many hours without talking to any characters or having cutscenes. Obviously pretty different from any Persona where the object is to talk to people as much as possible. None of this is to say SMT can't have good characters - Strange Journey has a great cast. But they will be around very, very little in most of the games.

So yeah. I'm not SMTV's biggest fan, but I'm also not Persona 5's biggest fan, either. But my problems with Persona 5 have nothing to do with my problems with SMTV. They're pretty much nothing alike so it be hard to say if you'd like SMTV more.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You're going to find some sexual jokes and appearance jokes in the demon negotiations, but it's not relentless or anything. Unless you're dealing with Mara, which is when the nonstop dick jokes roll out, and it is pretty much always amazing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Rude

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I slammed the Middle option the first time that popped up at lightning speed.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is mermaid a new design cause she's... sure something

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is mermaid a new design cause she's... sure something

I think that design originated in IVA.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive seen that Mermaid as far back as Strange Journey, so definitely not new.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a big fan of the new designs in general, while no one will be able to replace Kaneko, Doi has done a good job so far imo. Outside a couple exceptions along the way of course.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
aitvaras ftw

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm a big fan of the new designs in general, while no one will be able to replace Kaneko, Doi has done a good job so far imo. Outside a couple exceptions along the way of course.

I'm really on board with them this time. Wasn't a huge fan of the most of the ones in IV (besides Minotaur, Centaur, and Chemtrail), but they've been really cool this time. I really like Fionn mac Cumhaill, and the redesigned Angel in particular.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I slammed the Middle option the first time that popped up at lightning speed.

I pressed bottom because it seemed like the most in character answer

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FrickenMoron posted:

You simply didnt select the skill when filling out your skill list.

Applying an essence to Nahobino / other demons will list all their existing skills + the new ones and you need to pick which ones to keep.

Oh, lovely, good to know for the future, thank you.

e: to clarify, when I do this, the original demon doesn’t lose their magic, right? I effectively copy and receive it?

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 21, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i miss bdsm angel but i definitely get that it wouldn't really work in the SMTV cutscenes lol

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Louisgod posted:

Oh, lovely, good to know for the future, thank you.

e: to clarify, when I do this, the original demon doesn’t lose their magic, right? I effectively copy and receive it?

The essence is completely decoupled from the demon you received it from, yes.

Edit: Regarding new designs, Little girl Demeter is horrible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i miss bdsm angel but i definitely get that it wouldn't really work in the SMTV cutscenes lol

Yeah this is how I feel about it basically. I was kinda miffed when they showed off the redesign but with how the generic Angels are used alot this time around it would have looked weird.

FrickenMoron posted:

I thought she was cute.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
loupgarou looks incredibly silly and i love him

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Love that chicken dragon!

The sidequest where you help one make a giant omelette was very harrowing, but worth it in the end :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't think she's a new design is she?

anyway she's cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know theyre both harvest goddesses or whatever but her and Idun being basically the same design felt kinda cheap

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think she's a new design is she?

anyway she's cool

Got added in Strange Journey Redux, so it's a design by the new art team after Kaneko left.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Does anyone have a list of where the gospel mitamas show up or how long it takes for them to respawn? I've only found two

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Farg posted:

Does anyone have a list of where the gospel mitamas show up or how long it takes for them to respawn? I've only found two

Theres only one per region except the first where there's a 2nd in an area that unlocks near endgame.

Full list here I dont know the respawn timer but its definitely tied to hours passing on the ingame timer.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Thank you for the answers. I have fond memories of SMT3, and I remember it being almost EarthBoundy with its absurd one-liners. I just know that Atlus is really bad with LGBT stuff. It's ok in, say, in BotW where it's a weird caricature or two, but Personas had some real HOO BOY moments

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vookatos posted:

Thank you for the answers. I have fond memories of SMT3, and I remember it being almost EarthBoundy with its absurd one-liners.

https://twitter.com/Ninto55/status/1461907711860170756?t=Lm6jlYcyu-JV0cVyHv5e9w&s=19

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I got that one, but the paper had a little drawing of Jack Frost on it :allears:

Feels like there are a lot of unique conversations in this one. I got one between Cironnup and Koropokkur where they talked about living in Hokkaido together, it was very cute.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

I got that one, but the paper had a little drawing of Jack Frost on it :allears:

Feels like there are a lot of unique conversations in this one. I got one between Cironnup and Koropokkur where they talked about living in Hokkaido together, it was very cute.

There are at least 32! The ones between the offspring of Typhon (Orthus, Cerberus, Chimera and Hydra) are all pretty amazing.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought she was cute.

She's cute but it's kinda a weird design for a goddess that is, if nothing else, a mother in mythology.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I can't figure out my way for poo poo in the third area.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

LiefKatano posted:

She's cute but it's kinda a weird design for a goddess that is, if nothing else, a mother in mythology.

It's definitely an interesting choice, seeing how the last major time Demeter was portrayed in a video game they went with this:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I can't figure out my way for poo poo in the third area.

The trick there is that the path forward is nearly always marked with magatsuhi fragments

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

cheetah7071 posted:

The trick there is that the path forward is nearly always marked with magatsuhi fragments

Yeah, this has helped me a lot in the second area. Especially in the parking structures, they always mark the way up with some fragments, it's very helpful.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Demeter was cool. ハーヴェスト!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Demeter was cool. ハーヴェスト!

This.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FrickenMoron posted:

I find way too many of the new designs are just people. Like, not even weird monster people, or cool unearthly people. Or whatever weird over the top poo poo you get with personas these days they're just...people. And it just feels lame to me. It makes me not want to use any of these new demons because I don't want a team of characters that walked in out of some gacha game, basically. And of course this is going to sound insane given how often demons in other games have had human elements to them, or been very human in design but look at Lilith's designs. She looks mostly human, but her design is always posed in a way to draw attention to the fact that even if she does; holy poo poo her hands and feet are weird and creepy, she's clearly not a person. Meanwhile the best you get with some of these new designs is Cleopatra's snakeshand which is definitely not the focus of that design. I guess I'm basically just an old pokemon fan at this point complaining that things are different, but it's not like SMT's never done sexual, or sexualized, designs before: they've just never felt this blatantly pandering to the weird nerd crowd to me.

FrickenMoron posted:

Got added in Strange Journey Redux, so it's a design by the new art team after Kaneko left.

Basically it seems like most of the designs I really dislike and feel clash most with others were added in Redux because other new designs, like the angel redesign, are fine. But maybe there's some bias there because I hated the redux areas too, they were miserable to play through.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think you're just really biased because the designs have always been like this since the very start tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Even Alice's design, another small child, is dramatically different in tone and portrayal than Demeter though.