Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh. Well this is kind of a bummer because I've been enjoying the story, the setting and the world quite a lot. I've been...enduring the combat in the hope that it would start to get more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Oh. Well this is kind of a bummer because I've been enjoying the story, the setting and the world quite a lot. I've been...enduring the combat in the hope that it would start to get more interesting.

If on PC there is 0 harm in cheating yourself max stats+esuna and just automating your way to the end. The story is surprisingly neat but theres not much and it gets s t r e t c h e d to support the gameplays slow pace

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I've been doing exactly the same thing with the SFF mod, and even that doesn't seem to be able change that it's exactly the same experience but with higher HP pools. The lack of bespoke non-boss encounters and the endless sea of a few largely interchangable adds across every map just fundamentally sabotage the experience imo, even if you *could* blind a bat there's rarely any reason to when the value of blinding any single enemy isn't that high and there's bats B - Z behind it

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Bardeh posted:

Several hunts require some strategy, and you eventually have reasons to use magic or techs from the menu for normal fights, but the game is definitely focused on exploration and quests. Some of the optional fights do get pretty challenging.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you’re on PC you could also check out the Struggle for Freedom mod, which rebalances things so that the combat actually has some strategy to it for most of the game instead of just in optional hunts and esper fights. It also adds useful technicks like an AoE melee attack (Blitz).

It doesn’t change that a lot of the game is just big areas full of enemies though, which I can see getting tiring if you’re not enjoying the process of exploring those areas. If anything it makes it a much slower process because enemies are more of a threat and can’t just be deleted by a Black Mage.

Usually what I do in base FFXII Zodiac Age is take direct control of a “leader” type character with spells and buffs and let the pure melee fighters just go do their DPS as necessary. I like to make a couple characters into tanky supports like a melee job mixed with Time Mage or White Mage and control them directly since pure fighters really do just stick to autoattacking almost all the time. (In the late game the best DPS in the base game just comes down to using Berserk on your strong melee fighters with high combo rate weapons and supporting them while they go to town.)

Struggle for Freedom makes things much more strategic but it’s still in large part a game about preparation more than reaction.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 21, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ in a chicken basket this world 3 pyramid dungeon in FF5 is one of the most miserable dungeons ever. Every single random encounter feels like a boss fight

There are a million floors and they're all mazes and puzzles and stupid poo poo

Just let me get the McGuffin and leave

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the pyramid might be my least favorite part of ffv, I've had more than one fiesta run just fizzle there because I don't feel like doing it

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elephant Ambush posted:

Jesus Christ in a chicken basket this world 3 pyramid dungeon in FF5 is one of the most miserable dungeons ever. Every single random encounter feels like a boss fight

There are a million floors and they're all mazes and puzzles and stupid poo poo

Just let me get the McGuffin and leave

Just !Flee constantly with a Thief, hope you picked the Chicken Knife!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

Just !Flee constantly with a Thief, hope you picked the Chicken Knife!

I used smoke to run from as many fights as I could.

All the monster chests just made things worse though.

I just got out thankfully and I think I looted every chest so there's that.

And no I picked Brave Blade.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Elephant Ambush posted:

And no I picked Brave Blade.

You must be new here.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
If you have Bard, Requiem makes the Pyramid a joke. If you don't, welp.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You must be new here.

This is only my second playthrough of FF5. The first one was 10 years ago and I never got past the first ExDeath fight. Please explain the Chicken Knife shenanigans everyone keeps talking about.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bardeh posted:

Really? No cool AoE attacks, stuns, knockdowns, stuff like that? Right now I have my gambits set up so that Fran (White Mage) autoattacks and heals at <50%, and everyone else is just 'autoattack nearest baddie'. I have bought a ton of gambits at the shop but I don't really see much need to play around with the system yet. I get that I'm still early in the game, but I thought things would start to open up a little by now.

That's the whole game barring a handful of optional bosses.

ff12 bad

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I always just run from everything in the pyramid, and ignore all the chests because most of them are trapped. I come back later when I have Lenna back, because otherwise that's a LOT of XP and AP she's missing out on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The more you escape, the stronger the Chicken Knife and the weaker the Brave Blade. Your escape counter is retroactive.

The Chicken Knife has a 25% chance to make you flee in battle, unless you mix it with another ability like Rapid Fire.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is only my second playthrough of FF5. The first one was 10 years ago and I never got past the first ExDeath fight. Please explain the Chicken Knife shenanigans everyone keeps talking about.

The chicken knife gets powered up by how many times you escape from battle. At max power it's potentially the strongest weapon in the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

People mentioned the fleeing part, but you got extra ripped off because the Chicken Knife uses the Agility stat as well as Strength as a modifier in its damage formula so even if you never flee the maxed out 150 Attack Brave Blade that only the Knight and Freelancers can equip is always gonna do less damage than the 128 Attack Chicken Knife everyone can use.

It effectively has 75% accuracy but even that doesn’t matter much in practice because !Rapid Fire ignores that proc.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

The chicken knife gets powered up by how many times you escape from battle. At max power it's potentially the strongest weapon in the game.

From a straight attack power perspective the Brave Blade is like 20ish points stronger but that's assuming you've never ran, ever, which is a big ole :aloom: with the random encounter rate and dungeon design of FF5.

Edit: forgot about the damage calculations for Chicken Knife, see post right above me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are there hard numbers for the encounter-rate across games? 2 and 5 are definitely more dense with randos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chicken knife can also be equipped by every job except white mage, which isn't too important once you get to the endgame and everyone is a freelancer or mime, but it's very good for late game and FJF runs. Brave blade can only be equipped by knights. Although it can be used at full power with Goblin Punch for decent damage, regardless of how many times you flee. Brave blade can also be two-handed, but dual wield is better anyway if you have the option.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

Chicken knife can also be equipped by every job except white mage, which isn't too important once you get to the endgame and everyone is a freelancer or mime, but it's very good for late game and FJF runs. Brave blade can only be equipped by knights. Although it can be used at full power with Goblin Punch for decent damage, regardless of how many times you flee. Brave blade can also be two-handed, but dual wield is better anyway if you have the option.
(and monk)

(and the GBA exclusive oracle but lmao oracle sucks anyway)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody know of an emulator that's sure to work with the new ff6 T Edition English version mod? From what I've read it is an old mod and newer emulators don't work. Google hasn't been much help. I'm not super savvy at this sort of thing so closer I can get to somebody holding my hand through the process the better.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

deoju posted:

Does anybody know of an emulator that's sure to work with the new ff6 T Edition English version mod? From what I've read it is an old mod and newer emulators don't work. Google hasn't been much help. I'm not super savvy at this sort of thing so closer I can get to somebody holding my hand through the process the better.

just try it on the latest snes9x, I'd be surprised if it ran that kind of badly

I played the lua version on a fork of what is an only slightly older version of snes9x

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF7R is good if you want a combat system where you have to manage all your party members simultaneously so they work in synergy.

FFXII is mostly about casual exploration rather than intensive combat.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

multijoe posted:

You can, uh... set lightning weak > thundara on your mages I guess?

Yeah, on mages I usually fill up the gambit list because there's a lot of variability to plan for. You get weaknesses, single target vs aoe, buffs, heals... it's a really good use for the gambit system.

Melee gets one or two attack conditions, some buffs, and then as many debuffs to cure as I can fit in.

I generally enjoyed the gambit system, but I can appreciate that it's one of the more idiosyncratic combat systems for the series and could turn a lot of people off. There's a lot of obscure details to the combat system that are completely opaque to the player unless you read a guide or conduct a scientific analysis of every piece of equipment, some of which make a huge loving difference in combat effectiveness.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Commands trigger the !Flee of the Chicken Knife in PR however, which makes it less useful than advertised.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Specifically, Brave Blade is (150 - escapes - Defense) * (((Level * STR)/128)+2), Chicken Knife is ((escapes up to 254 / 2) - Defense) * (((Level * STR)/128) + ((Level*AGI)/128) +2).

Both will get you far, far above the 9999 clamp on all physical attacks if backed up with !Mix and !Sing. The arguments for Chicken Knife are:
* Defense is very low across the game, and CK can do up to double the number of hits, the same as two-handing, while doing 84 ⅔% the damage per hit to 0 defense enemies (which are the majority), 64 ⅔% the damage per hit to Neo Exdeath, and only losing out directly on Skull Eaters, Prototypes, and Omega. Spellblade !Flare increases per-hit damage by 100 and ignores 75% of defense, meaning even into Omega each hit, of which there will be twice as many is for 227 - 190 = 37 as opposed to 250 - 190 = 60. However, it doesn't take up an ability slot.
* Chicken Knife is compatible with !Dance, which multiplies the damage per hit by 4 on Sword Dance.
* If you are taking up an ability slot, Chicken Knife can be mixed with Dualwield for a total of up to 19998 damage per attack.
* Is usable by far more jobs.
* Gives you the tactical flexibility of running if needed.
* When not Freelancer, improves damage per hit by 46-72 depending on team comp endgame, compared to 10 for Brave Blade.

Arguments for Brave Blade are:
* Doesn't occasionally whiff without access to... maybe !X-Fight (PR)?, that, !Mug, Dualwield, and !Spellblade (other versions.)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

just try it on the latest snes9x, I'd be surprised if it ran that kind of badly

I played the lua version on a fork of what is an only slightly older version of snes9x

Thanks.

It ended up being easier than I thought. Downloaded Japanese rom, downloaded rom hack, gave them the same file name (w/o extension), clicked on the rom file. It opens in snes9x and plays. :ms: I've heard there might be audio issues, but none so far. Now I'll just need a usb snes controller.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Technicks are rarely for dealing direct damage anyway, they're meant to supplement your party, like Libra showing you info/trap locations, Steal/Poach helping you get items, Charge/Infuse helping to restore HP and MP, the four that lower enemy stats, and so on. Shades of Black is kinda nice in TZA but that's about it. Horology is completely worthless, and Traveler can be okay sometimes but it's basically a one time nuke and you have to keep real close track of your steps, so it usually isn't worth bothering with.

I do wish there was more flexibility in the Gambit system though, I guess it's by design that you can't 100% completely automate it. But it'd be nice if there was like, an "Enemy: absorbs [element]" Gambit so that Ashe would stop attacking water absorbing enemies with her water element mace and do something else instead.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have FF7R on the PS5 and I haven't played it yet, so I think I'll leave XII for now and give that a try instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm near the end of my FFVIII replay and I had no idea this could happen in the Adel fight (linked for VIII spoilers I guess)

https://i.imgur.com/IGEemjk.mp4

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Haha, thanks Greg

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm near the end of my FFVIII replay and I had no idea this could happen in the Adel fight (linked for VIII spoilers I guess)

Hahahaha holy poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Solidifying Greg as best FF character.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

You're welcome! Goodbye!!!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Amazing

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Help Im Alive posted:

Just doing his duty.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Speaking of FF8 what was that mod people were recommending for it in the last thread? Was it Crystal? Might start that instead of grinding out FF13 superbosses after all, all the travel time is kinda bumming me out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Help Im Alive posted:

the panicked menu mashing tells the tale of your mental state that words could not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Speaking of FF8 what was that mod people were recommending for it in the last thread? Was it Crystal? Might start that instead of grinding out FF13 superbosses after all, all the travel time is kinda bumming me out

the big ones are Crystal and Ragnarok-- check the qhimm forums