Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

greazeball posted:

Are there any good effects of this vaccine? Does it in any way balance out the extremely rare side effects?

well depending on what data or statistics you use it could either significantly or somewhat reduce your risk of serious complications and hospitalization but so does quarantine and social distancing. if you're in a position where you have contact with many people on a daily basis you should probably get the vaccine and the boosters even with the waning efficacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
what the gently caress do i have to do to get a permaban around here

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

this is what the fda doesn't want you to see!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hofnar posted:

You could tell us your thoughts on age of consent laws.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You could tell us your thoughts on age of consent laws.

I have boundaries bro

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

hofnar posted:

what color che shirt are you wearing

Does your mom want it back, already?

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
She's too fat

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

g0lbez posted:

well depending on what data or statistics you use it could either significantly or somewhat reduce your risk of serious complications and hospitalization but so does quarantine and social distancing. if you're in a position where you have contact with many people on a daily basis you should probably get the vaccine and the boosters even with the waning efficacy

you seemed to imply the vaccine was bad though

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

learnincurve posted:

*taps the sign that says you get to a point where so many people are vaccinated that the scales tip and you have more vaccinated in hospital than unvaccinated.

This is how it's supposed to work and you got to factor in age and comorbidities at this point in most countries case data.

People saying the vaccinations don't work are anti-vaxers by stealth.

lol. The antivaxxers are the ones who insisted, against all human knowledge, that we could make a durable, sterilizing vaccine to a coronavirus. The shots work fine, it's the immune system that's not up to it. It's like everyone forgot the vaccines were a longshot to end the pandemic and think they are just an end condition.

Edit: there are still enormous benefits to the shot, it's just not enough

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 22, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone keep posting, surely we can change the antivaxer's mind this time.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

greazeball posted:

you seemed to imply the vaccine was bad though

i don't think it's the end solution that everyone is making it out to be. i don't think it warrants demonizing people as "anti vaxxers" and celebrating people's deaths while blanket mandating it for everyone across the board regardless of age or risk factor.

but of course doing all that sure gets those stock prices soaring.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Getting a big laugh out of "how can we possibly know whether this 20 year-old technology is safe, we need to trial the vaccine for 100 years before authorizing its use" when smallpox inoculation carried a 2% fatality rate, was guaranteed to give you a scar, and was an injection of ground up pustules taken from the open sores developed by previous recipients of the inoculation.

Ben Franklin openly wept when one of his kids died of smallpox and was like "you need to get your kids incoluated right the gently caress now. I am not even joking, I will shove an entire almanac up the rear end of any variolation skeptic who has the misfortune of crossing my path, gently caress you." - that's a direct quote look it up

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

g0lbez posted:

i don't think it's the end solution that everyone is making it out to be. i don't think it warrants demonizing people as "anti vaxxers" and celebrating people's deaths while blanket mandating it for everyone across the board regardless of age or risk factor.

but of course doing all that sure gets those stock prices soaring.

I am not even joking, I will shove an entire almanac up your rear end if you don't knock off this vaccine skeptic bullshit, gently caress you. It's what our forefathers would have wanted and I am a PATRIOT :911:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I am not even joking, I will shove an entire almanac up your rear end if you don't knock off this vaccine skeptic bullshit, gently caress you. It's what our forefathers would have wanted and I am a PATRIOT :911:

:same:

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
I've had more vaccines than all you dipshits combined including the anthrax shot everyone quit the military about back in the early 90s. Keep beating that anti vaxx drum.

hofnar fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 22, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Been seeing some stuff about how a nasally administered vaccine might help decrease infections down the line and also reduce the chance of brain damage from long covid through mucosal immunity. The current vaccines are pretty good at protecting the lungs and heart but the antibodies don’t get as far into the parts of the body that are most likely to encounter the virus first.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

QuarkJets posted:

maybe if our healthcare and well being weren't intensely monetized i wouldn't be so concerned with ulterior motives

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

g0lbez posted:

maybe if our healthcare and well being weren't intensely monetized i wouldn't be so concerned with ulterior motives

right

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

hofnar posted:

pm an admin and they'll give you one you dramatic baby

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Inept posted:

pm an admin and they'll give you one you dramatic baby

Do you need a hug

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ccs posted:

Been seeing some stuff about how a nasally administered vaccine might help decrease infections down the line and also reduce the chance of brain damage from long covid through mucosal immunity. The current vaccines are pretty good at protecting the lungs and heart but the antibodies don’t get as far into the parts of the body that are most likely to encounter the virus first.

They should mix it with cocaine. We could have vaccine parties!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

g0lbez posted:

gosh I wonder which is more profitable, several weeks of treatment for severe covid-19 infection followed by treating potentially a lifetime of long-covid symptoms, or a vaccine that prevents all of that for which they receive a small nominal fee

i just can't figure out which of these numbers is bigger can anyone help, i am very dumb

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

QuarkJets posted:

gosh I wonder which is more profitable, several weeks of treatment for severe covid-19 infection followed by treating potentially a lifetime of long-covid symptoms, or a vaccine that prevents all of that for which they receive a small nominal fee

i just can't figure out which of these numbers is bigger can anyone help, i am very dumb

Berkeley?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

QuarkJets posted:

gosh i wonder which one of those numbers would actually be possible? just because something is more profitable doesn't make it a viable or easy solution that can be accomplished

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I feel like this sort of vaccine skepticism is a problem that should eventually resolve itself one way or another and I have trouble getting mad at it now. It’s dumb as gently caress but telling people that isn’t going to change their mind so I’m happy for them to gently caress around and find out.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

gay picnic defence posted:

I feel like this sort of vaccine skepticism is a problem that should eventually resolve itself one way or another and I have trouble getting mad at it now. It’s dumb as gently caress but telling people that isn’t going to change their mind so I’m happy for them to gently caress around and find out.

I agree.

I should be bigger than this but I'm looking forward to hearing about all the lawsuits 5 years from now.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
lol what happened in this thread

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

gay picnic defence posted:

nobody really addresses the (valid) reasons for the skepticism they just throw their hands up and make blanket statements like your post or they cherry pick the obviously stupid/incorrect/tin foil poo poo so i'm sorry you haven't been able to change anyone's mind by screaming about how you're happy they're more likely to die from complications

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lawsuits over what?

Right-wing loony anti vaxers, only in this one instance, have an issue with capitalism but still beat the individual liberty drum which it thrives upon.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

helsabot posted:

lol what happened in this thread

Logic

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

hofnar posted:

I agree.

I should be bigger than this but I'm looking forward to hearing about all the lawsuits 5 years from now.

Lawsuits for what?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

tagesschau posted:

Lawsuits for what?

LOL. Really?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Go off about CRT next you loving loony.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hofnar posted:

I agree.

O.K. but, like, even if there were actual damages, which there will not be, the vaccine manufacturers have immunity, remember? It’s kind of a big talking point with your kind.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

QuarkJets posted:

also i know there's zero point in saying this and nobody is going to say anything aside from calling me an antivaxxer/idiot/hope i die but i just want to mention that they are obviously developing a treatment (no poo poo!!) and i can guarantee you they will advise that you take in conjunction with the vaccine so please feel free to tell me how unprofitable this whole process will be

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but, like, even if there were actual damages, which there will not be, the vaccine manufacturers have immunity, remember? It’s kind of a big talking point with your kind.

LOL what;s my kind

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

hofnar posted:

LOL. Really?

Lawsuits for imaginary wrongs have vanishingly little hope of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

we got a kyle backing chud invasion going on right now...

it would be interesting if it wasn't the same poo poo we hear from tuck constantly.

How dumb do you have to be to argue that the mRNA vaccine that has been in development for 50 years is unsafe, simply because they changed the payload to covid?

what exactly do you think is lurking in our blood streams that is going to cause "issues" in the future? The vaccine is out of your system by now if you took it.

You think the t-cells that the covid vaccine help create are going to turn into poison in 100 days? 3 years? 20? You don't understand science and you are stupid I'm sorry to break it to you.

*dur dur im not antivax i served in the military and got vaxxed a lot!* kind of says it all.