Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Biplane posted:

I see him every day

Watching reruns of Venture Bros. doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heath posted:

David Bowie has been dead for almost six loving years, and that was a really high profile passing. How do you even make that mistake?

Boring answer: while the tweet and headline is poorly phrased, it's not that they made a mistake and think he's alive. In the context of the article behind the tweet "like" is being used to mean "in the vein of" rather than "for example".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Boring answer: while the tweet and headline is poorly phrased, it's not that they made a mistake and think he's alive. In the context of the article behind the tweet "like" is being used to mean "in the vein of" rather than "for example".

Although it still says a lot that they can't think of any current musicians they'd like to see touring and had to go for one that's been dead for years.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

Although it still says a lot that they can't think of any current musicians they'd like to see touring and had to go for one that's been dead for years.

Any living musician of note would tell them off publicly.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

In early 2020 my manager was looking at the David Bowie calendar I had on the wall of my cubicle and asked me if I was going to go see him next time he came to town.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Perhaps, though the reason he came up at all is that the article is reporting on a speech about him a Labour MP gave to parliament.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Regy Rusty posted:

Sure, I'll buy that, but is there really such a dearth of British musicianship that they headlined their example with an artist who died over half a decade ago? Is there no one more contemporary?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The point is that many musicians got big touring Europe because it's kind of a big and populous place. People like David Bowie.

The UK government hosed over their artists during the negotiations because they rejected the standard reciprocal artist visa the EU proposed. If I remember correctly the UK wanted their bankers included and no reciprocity and a lower duration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

Sure, I'll buy that, but is there really such a dearth of British musicianship that they headlined their example with an artist who died over half a decade ago? Is there no one more contemporary?

Is there anyone more contemporary that the audience would give a poo poo about?

Frankly I am surprised they didn't go with the beatles.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heath posted:

"They" as in the person writing the article, didn't pick Bowie, Labour MP Florence Eshalomi who Bowie was apparently a former constituent of, did when she spoke to Parliament trying to convince the UK government to take action to resolve the issues its own Brexit nonsense called.

Again I think they should have written the headline differently but imo the point the MP was making was salient and the example was relevant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heath posted:

Ed Sheerhan and Harry Styles probably won't have the same long lasting grasp of the public consciousness as Bowie does, but they are super loving popular. Like someone on the MP's staff would know who they are.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Not IOSM, but the heist of the century has happened

https://twitter.com/PAYDAYGame/status/1461716917052452865

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Regy Rusty posted:

"They" as in the person writing the article, didn't pick Bowie, Labour MP Florence Eshalomi who Bowie was apparently a former constituent of, did when she spoke to Parliament trying to convince the UK government to take action to resolve the issues its own Brexit nonsense called.

Again I think they should have written the headline differently but imo the point the MP was making was salient and the example was relevant.

That makes more sense, thank you.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pink Panther, but it's Jacques Clouseau investigating the theft of one of those Lazy Lion things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skwirl posted:

Also really curious what terms used by antifascists they consider "anti-semitic." It's just going to be any sort of criticism of Israel, isn't it?

Yes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Weatherman posted:

lmao I knew someone was going to have this exact loving take

Asian countries only have traditions, literally anything that happens there is for traditional reasons and no other possible reasons. Unless one person does something that is viewed as odd, then it becomes a news story in Western press about "wacky trend those wacky Asians are doing"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Biplane posted:

I see him every day

i saw him earlier today (watching twin peaks)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

these wife guys are getting less and less interesting with every new one

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does that count as an ex-[wife guy] or an [ex-wife] guy?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Decided to dive into the "More Replies" section of a CBC tweet about children's COVID vaccines and saw this interaction that's just killing me

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I love that the Internet has given these chuds the confidence to yell “WRONG” at someone, not even spell it correctly, and somehow think to themselves “I sure did teach that idiot a lesson.”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
somewhat related, when Mygan whateverlastname went from Fox News to MSNBC, she was amazed at the levels of fact checking they did.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sonic Dude posted:

I love that the Internet has given these chuds the confidence to yell “WRONG” at someone, not even spell it correctly, and somehow think to themselves “I sure did teach that idiot a lesson.”

It's great, the universal dumbification brings us all down.

Wait, not great, what's the other word

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I think the word you're looking for is 'geart'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Memento posted:

what's the other word

WORNG.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favourite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > WORNG

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hooman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favourite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > WORNG

This is exactly what the thread title should be.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooman posted:

ultrafilter posted:

This is exactly what the thread title should be.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

hooman posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

I feel pretty confidant saying, regardless of any deals between the UK and the EU, Bowie's never going to tour the European mainland again.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1461384991875731467?s=20
If David Bowie wanted a 2022 EU tour "laws forged by the nations of man" are the last thing I'd expect to stop him.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Nov 22, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

hooman posted:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hooman posted:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Idiots on Social Media: WORNG

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hooman posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detheros posted:

Idiots on Social Media: WORNG

WORNG

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Alanis Morrisette as God was brilliant.

:hai: