Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

je1 healthcare posted:

Again, you seem to think that the US administration has been the source of any info in the Peng case. They haven't, and nobody here is taking them at face value either.

Still, you're comparing too vastly different crimes and situations. I've had tankies on twitter calling hypocrisy on the western media for not reporting more on the accusations against Cuomo and Prince Andrew, which is a far better parallel. Even though...they have reported it. Their victims haven't been censored, they've gotten far more coverage, and the charges against those men are moving through the public courts.

Also lol at your post in the other thread calling the entire Japanese race untrustworthy and comparing half-black tennis pro Naomi Osaka to David Duke for daring to being one of the first to speak up for her friend:

Do you have to brag in both forums about how little you know about the Japanese state and Japanese press?

Tell me, can you tell me what Shinzo Abe's grandfather did? Who put him into power? Can you tell me about Nippon Kaigi? Can you tell me who owns the major Japanese press organizations, and who founded them? Furthermore, can you fill me in on what said founders were doing from 1937 to 1945? How about in the post war period?

No?

Then kindly shut the gently caress up.

CaptainACAB fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

A big flaming stink posted:

gently caress all cops but it should be noted that at least judging by the hong kong protests china's police force is notably more restrained than the US.

You sure about that? https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3128836/hong-kong-protests-more-10200-arrested-connection-unrest

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CaptainACAB posted:

Do you have to brag in both forums about how little you know about the Japanese state and Japanese press?

Tell me, can you tell me what Shinzo Abe's grandfather did? Who put him into power? Can you tell me about Nippon Kaigi? Can you tell me who owns the major Japanese press organizations, and who founded them? Furthermore, can you fill me in on what said founders were doing from 1937 to 1945? How about in the post war period?

No?

How does any of this have any bearing on Naomi Osaka's trustworthiness?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This guy hasn't seen the hundreds of eye losses in HK protestors aswell as other injuries and deaths. Getting hit in the head with a teargas cannisters will kill you.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

No?

I assume you're describing a bunch of war criminals, but first you'd have to tell me how any of that is related. Are japanese war criminals controlling every press outlet and Naomi Osaka from the grave? Or are we disregarding an entire country due to their cursed bloodline?

Also, can you name any countries that weren't carrying out some sort of human rights atrocity between 1937 and 1945? Surely there must be one reliable press outlet in them somewhere

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Silver2195 posted:

I don't give a gently caress what Naomi Osaka has to say on anything really. She has no access to any information I don't.

I do, however, care when people think the Japanese press, much of which was founded by actual convicted war criminals who carried out a genocide in China that rivals the Holocaust in scope and scale, and are part of a state apparatus which aggressively censors any discussion of said war crimes in service to an explicitly revanchist and revisionist clique which has ruled Japan since the war ended, can be considered in any way reliable on China.

CaptainACAB fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This guy hasn't seen the hundreds of eye losses in HK protestors aswell as other injuries and deaths. Getting hit in the head with a teargas cannisters will kill you.

I'm unsure if you were talking to me or the poster I was responding to, but just to be explicitly clear to those who think HK protestors weren't also severely injured by police: https://apnews.com/article/health-ap-top-news-international-news-arrests-hong-kong-e054402fd7d4489fb2f1d29368e3b945

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 22, 2021

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

je1 healthcare posted:

I assume you're describing a bunch of war criminals, but first you'd have to tell me how any of that is related. Are japanese war criminals controlling every press outlet and Naomi Osaka from the grave? Or are we disregarding an entire country due to their cursed bloodline?

Also, can you name any countries that weren't carrying out some sort of human rights atrocity between 1937 and 1945? Surely there must be one reliable press outlet in them somewhere

Ok this is a very verbose way to tell me you know nothing about the Japanese state, the Japanese press, the intersections between the two and the proven links between both and American intelligence. gently caress, you don't even seem to understand that the Japanese are racist as gently caress in general, but against the Chinese in particular!

But sure keep digging kiddo.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Despera posted:

Were talking about the chinese goverment. You know that one who imprisoned millions for existing, now maybe one for calling out a rape.

I'm gonna do a whataboutism and I'm sorry, but I think it's one of those "technically not" situations because the comparison is actually relevant and we're talking about how we talk about a country, and not exactly the thing itself.

America did and is doing genocides, but you can still talk about other stuff without it all being that. If every single conversation about America ended up being about its genocides you get basically the very people you're arguing with, who cannot possibly support or condemn a thing if doing so ends up being tangentially beneficial to the American narrative.

CPC bad and all that (though my problem with the party is mostly with Xi Jinping and with the failure of the party to actually control corruption in local Chinese politics, which impacts people's lives a lot more than whatever grand plans they congratulate themselves for in Beijing) but this is stupid and is why this whole conversation is a giant trainwreck. Just focus on the tennis woman.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

CaptainACAB posted:

Ok this is a very verbose way to tell me you know nothing about the Japanese state, the Japanese press, the intersections between the two and the proven links between both and American intelligence. gently caress, you don't even seem to understand that the Japanese are racist as gently caress in general, but against the Chinese in particular!

Remember folks, you're responsible for the sins of your parents!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Naomi Osaka is obviously on the side of the Japanese xenophobes that regularly send her death threats for daring to represent Japan and wishes for nothing more than to instigate the next great Chinese genocide by demanding proof of life from a personal friend of hers.

CaptainACAB posted:

I don't give a gently caress what Naomi Osaka has to say on anything really.

I do, however, care when people think the Japanese press, much of which was founded by actual convicted war criminals who carried out a genocide in China that rivals the Holocaust in scope and scale, and are part of a state apparatus which aggressively censors any discussion of said war crimes in service to an explicitly revanchist and revisionist clique which has ruled Japan since the war ended, can be considered in any way reliable on China.

"Much"? So you acknowledge that not every Japanese press outlet is tied to some sort of war criminal? Or is there some reason we can disregard those too? I'm really just going down the list to find one that isn't 5 degrees of separation from A Government

CaptainACAB posted:

Well yes, I directly asked you to tell me how they're related, but you seem keen on dismissing an entire ethnicity as incapable of journalism, so I don't think there's much discussion to be had here.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Remember folks, you're responsible for the sins of your parents!

When you run an organization that alternates between denying the genocide your (actual, literal) fathers carried out and apologizing for it, and that counts most of Japan's ruling class (and the owbers of almost all it's press) as members , then yes, absolutely.

As it so happens, Shinzo Abe did exactly that very thing! And his successor does the same, as did both their predecessors. They don't even try to hide it and their membership in Nippon Kiagi is public knowledge.

But please yes tell me how these people are unbiased and reliable sources on China, the people they still publicly regret not exterminating.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CaptainACAB posted:

When you run an organization that alternates between denying the genocide your (actual, literal) fathers carried out and apologizing for it, and that counts most of Japan's ruling class (and the owbers of almost all it's press) as members , then yes, absolutely.

As it so happens, Shinzo Abe did exactly that very thing! And his successor does the same, as did both their predecessors. They don't even try to hide it and their membership in Nippon Kiagi is public knowledge.

But please yes tell me how these people are unbiased and reliable sources on China, the people they still publicly regret not exterminating.

Are we talking about Naomi Osaka or are we talking about Japan?

Did Japan say anything about this? I don't pay attention to what Japan says for the most part on stuff like this cuz of all the war crime stuff.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

And every Japanese press outlet that reported on the Peng story is wholly-owned by a member of Nippon Kaigi. Is that where we're going with this?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

je1 healthcare posted:

Naomi Osaka is obviously on the side of the Japanese xenophobes that regularly send her death threats for daring to represent Japan and wishes for nothing more than to instigate the next great Chinese genocide by demanding proof of life from a personal friend of hers.

"Much"? So you acknowledge that not every Japanese press outlet is tied to some sort of war criminal? Or is there some reason we can disregard those too? I'm really just going down the list to find one that isn't 5 degrees of separation from A Government

Well yes, I directly asked you to tell me how they're related, but you seem keen on dismissing an entire ethnicity as incapable of journalism, so I don't think there's much discussion to be had here.

The two largest newspapers in the world are both Japanese and both pro LDP and the official stance of the LDP is that either Japan did nothing wrong or that Japan did one thing wrong, and that one thing was not exterminating all Chinese people.

Both of which, by the way, are part of gigantic media conglomerates that run virtually all the Japanese media.

This is pretty simple poo poo here.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kalit posted:

I'm unsure if you were talking to me or the poster I was responding to, but just to be explicitly clear to those who think HK protestors weren't also severely injured by police: https://apnews.com/article/health-ap-top-news-international-news-arrests-hong-kong-e054402fd7d4489fb2f1d29368e3b945

Talking to you about the poster you responded to

Since I agree with you, HK protestors were brutalized.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
This thread sure turned into a bunch of madmen flinging poo poo over the weekend. Some of you should probably get on a rabavert course just to be safe.

This was pretty much the only good post in the last few pages, and it was totally ignored:

Android Blues posted:

I feel like many people on both sides of the discussion here have a fairly limited understanding of what happened to Peng Shuai in terms of sexual coercion. One poster earlier seemed to think she'd been assaulted by a tennis coach? Other posters have gotten confused and referred to her by the name of a different woman, Fan Bingbing. That's probably not what she would have wanted when she originally shared her story, and from a feminist perspective it's pretty eye-roll worthy.

In view of respecting her actual experience, rather than talking past her as a means to relitigate whether you think China is good or bad, here's a translation of the post she made.

Zhang Gaoli brought her to his house, took her into a locked room with a guard posted outside the door, and tried to cajole her into sex. She initially refused. She stayed for dinner with Zhang and his wife, after which Zhang started coercing her again. She describes being terrified, panicking, and eventually agrees. She flatly states at one point that Zhang forced her into sex.

After this, they have a relationship. Peng describes feeling suicidal, as well as various other symptoms of serious emotional abuse, but also develops feelings for Zhang Gaoli. She vacillates between ardent love and the pain she feels at the way he cavalierly uses her. Zhang forces her to keep the relationship a secret, since it would be bad for his public image if people knew he was having an extramarital affair. Even Peng's mother is not allowed to know that she is sleeping with Zhang. After three years, he unceremoniously tires of her and removes her from his life. At this point, she goes public.

I think for both sides of this discussion, it's important to read this story. I've seen tankies on Twitter claiming, "see, she grew to love him, so it wasn't sexual assault and this isn't a problem!" - a flatly repulsive view that deserves no respect.

If it's not clear, I think this is a very clear account of a powerful politician preying on a vulnerable woman, forcing her to have sex with him, then keeping her as a deeply unhappy mistress until he gets bored. The fact that Peng developed feelings for her persecutor only makes the whole thing darker and more horrible - it's in no way an ameliorating factor.

So that's not why I'm sharing it. I'm sharing it because, from a feminist perspective, it is really, really bothersome to me to see people in this thread get into the mud-throwing trenches about whether China is a nightmare police state or a wonderful utopia, using Peng's story as a pretext, without ever paying attention to the testimony of the victim at the centre of the issue. I personally think it's an absolute nightmare what has happened to her for exposing the man who abused her, but regardless of what you think, you should read her words.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

The two largest newspapers in the world are both Japanese and both pro LDP and the official stance of the LDP is that either Japan did nothing wrong or that Japan did one thing wrong, and that one thing was not exterminating all Chinese people.

Both of which, by the way, are part of gigantic media conglomerates that run virtually all the Japanese media.

This is pretty simple poo poo here.

Alright, so we shifted goalposts from all Japanese media outlets being owned by Nippon Kaigi members, to the two largest newspapers being pro-LDP. Which is Japan's biggest political party and includes members that have denied past war crimes, but also several members, prime ministers, and foreign ministers that have explicitly acknowledged and apologized for those war crimes. It doesn't seem as simple as you're making it out to be.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 22, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
okay seriously this tangent on japan is just silly at this point, there is a perfectly good japanese thread to post in about how captured the japanese press is by the state (spoilers: insanely captured)

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Ok sorry

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Smeef posted:

This thread sure turned into a bunch of madmen flinging poo poo over the weekend. Some of you should probably get on a rabavert course just to be safe.

This was pretty much the only good post in the last few pages, and it was totally ignored:

this was definitely the best post in the last while, what with actually containing, summarizing, AND commenting on Peng's central post

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Peng Shuai: WTA says Chinese tennis star’s call with IOC chief is not enough
Whereabouts of former doubles world number one have been a matter of international concern for nearly three weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/22/peng-shuai-wta-says-chinese-tennis-stars-call-with-ioc-chief-is-not-enough

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

How are u posted:

Peng Shuai: WTA says Chinese tennis star’s call with IOC chief is not enough
Whereabouts of former doubles world number one have been a matter of international concern for nearly three weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/22/peng-shuai-wta-says-chinese-tennis-stars-call-with-ioc-chief-is-not-enough

Outrageous! What will Jill Psaki and those dastards in Mossad think of next?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this was definitely the best post in the last while, what with actually containing, summarizing, AND commenting on Peng's central post

Cool of you to go "my work is finished here" like this when you did nothing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly I think the most straightforward explanation for her behavior is she received pushback for the statement she made from some social force (maybe the state, maybe her social circle, something like that) and decided trying to get justice wasn't going to be worth it.

Like that absolutely loving sucks, but it's not a China is an authoritarian hellhole thing, it's a patriarchy and rape culture thing.

this was early on in the argument but, heck, i like it as establishing a goalpost on one end

i have very little opinion on what exactly happened after she made The Post, because only the people involved actually know, but if we rely on the Believe Women principle and also the very weird tone of her immediate retraction it was definitely somewhere between "her social circle and/or coaches told her to knock it off", "her social circle and/or coaches were requested by the state to tell her to knock it off", "state censors told her to knock it off", and "state thugs working for her rapist told her to knock it off"

and none of those are good

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i would prefer you not to doxx fellow goons thanks

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also a thing that has been ignored in all discussion of Mossad and Japanese media ownership.

Peng Shuai's rapist will most likely never face justice.

This. Is. A. Bad. Thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also a thing that has been ignored in all discussion of Mossad and Japanese media ownership.

Peng Shuai's rapist will most likely never face justice.

This. Is. A. Bad. Thing.

spock jokes aside, this

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey captain ACAB, where in the word did you get that 'all of japan is an untrustworthy and fascist monolith' attitude? You pull it out of some dr.seuss ww2 propaganda and give it a fresh coat of paint?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

Hey captain ACAB, where in the word did you get that 'all of japan is an untrustworthy and fascist monolith' attitude? You pull it out of some dr.seuss ww2 propaganda and give it a fresh coat of paint?

really don't want to delve too deep into this, but the degree to which japan is a one-party state cannot be emphasized enough, and if you think our press is bad, try looking up kisha/press clubs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

there are all sorts of terrifying and upsetting things about japanese politics, and as it happens we have a terrifying and upsetting japanese politics and current events thread

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Smeef posted:

This thread sure turned into a bunch of madmen flinging poo poo over the weekend.

"Turned into"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Despera posted:

I think you can be reductive with genocide because it is literally the worse thing. But the roads are good! isnt a great response.

But the trains run on time!

lol

Almost as funny as the goons demanding people post evidence because they somehow never developed pattern recognition or read page one of the brutal authoritarian state playbook.

Sure, all those other times they detained people for face-crime against Daddy Xi's red handed apparatus. But this time is defferent. For reasons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Andorra posted:

I'm not really invested in this incident one way or another, but after reading some of the arguments I do have a hypothetical question for the people in the thread who believe the worst out of the Chinese government, be it that they're controlling everything she's posting, or whatever.

How do you tell the difference between the government not allowing someone to say something and that someone just not wanting to say something? How do you tell the difference between her showing up to a thing on her own and the government tagging along, off screen from what you can see?

You take all her actions and posts from before she was detained and compare them to those made after.

You also compare her actions from after she was detained to those of other people who have been detained by the Chinese government.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kalit posted:

For anyone not aware, the HK police are not the same as the mainland police; it’s two totally separate systems, although the differences are being gradually and deliberately eroded after the riots.

The HK cops are based on the UK system. The PRC cops are based on a mix of the Soviet system and I think the Japanese system filtered through Republican-era China. So they have a lot more latitude in how to treat citizens, up to and including the 武警shooting them dead even when it’s not a state of emergency.

That sounds quite similar to the US police to me.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
At least western media can publish stories about how Prince Andrew is probably a horrible sex pest, even if the lawsuit gets quashed, which is good, but I don't see any mainland media institutions talking about how Zhang Gaoli forced a tennis star to have sex with him. Like at least in the UK thanks to the tabloid press we know Boris fucks like a bin bag full of custard because of the salacious reporting on his affair which involved spending government resources on his mistress, but Xi Jinping might as well be a wooden mannequin and completely smooth down there.

My point was made crudely but people should know if those in power are doing bad things - even if they don't end up being prosecuted because of their wealth and power. At least we all know Tony Blair is a war criminal. It's a small win, but I'll take it.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 22, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

CaptainACAB posted:

Also sounds like those Chinese people are absolutely right about this reporter. I wish China was actually authoritarian as people like this say it is, this lady seems like she would benefit from a weekend in lubyanka.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

je1 healthcare posted:

And only about 10% of US criminal cases are handled by those federal courts. In state and local courts, conviction rates range from 60-80% depending on the crime and locality. Excellent cherry-picking though, it's a shame I've seen CCP apologists do it before

Well over 90% of prosecutions in the United States, both federal and state end in plea deals where the prosecutor simply coerces the defendant into accepting the charges rather than having a trial. Of the few who actually go to trail, that's where you get your 60-80%.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Some bad maths going on, the difference between a 90% conviction rate and a 99.9% conviction rate is the difference between one in ten people being found innocent and one in a thousand people being found innocent. It's not minor, it's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
'this lady seems like she would benefit from a weekend in lubyanka.'

So Captain ACAB is actually 'all cops are bad unless its the secret police'.

Its nice to know he thinks so highly of secret police :ironicat:.