Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Avril Lavigne posted:

Love the enthusiasm but this is such a bizarre post. You're old enough to have registered in '06 but haven't seen the original pre-'00s movies, yet still took the time to read this entire thread dedicated to them, instead of just watching them?

It was the thread's enthusiasm that makes me want to retry watching them, and I don't like starting a movie when I'm likely to fall asleep during it, so yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

u r welcome pokeyman that';s our job.

Anyway, that'll be about $5,000. Venmo, check, whatever.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It was the thread's enthusiasm that makes me want to retry watching them, and I don't like starting a movie when I'm likely to fall asleep during it, so yes?

Okay. The pacing and humour of the original movies are a completely different vibe to the recent ones so try not to go in expecting anything similar, I hope you have a good time with em.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Was that the big popping eyeball ghost toy from the ghostbusters toy line I saw or was it just similar I didn’t really dig this film, there was some good stuff and once the original guys showed up it was fun I just wanted more ghost shenanigans.

I’ll give it another bash when it hits a home release but for now I just want to re-watch the original

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

WonkyBob posted:

"Somehow, Vigo returned"

Ghostbusters : The Sorrow of Moldavia

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz2k21 posted:

Was that the big popping eyeball ghost toy from the ghostbusters toy line I saw or was it just similar I didn’t really dig this film, there was some good stuff and once the original guys showed up it was fun I just wanted more ghost shenanigans.

It definitely was.

Best part of the movie is that kids seem to be enjoying it, and that they’re happy to get pictures with the Ghostbusters in the theater lobby. Investing in a Ghostbusters uniform has been one of my better choices.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Open Marriage Night posted:

It definitely was.

Best part of the movie is that kids seem to be enjoying it, and that they’re happy to get pictures with the Ghostbusters in the theater lobby. Investing in a Ghostbusters uniform has been one of my better choices.

I had people coming in wearing the uniform in all variants. Little kids, adults...you name it. I did see some uniform style jackets that looked really nice. I don't know if they were fan made or store bought.

At the time I left work, we had five showings packed to the limit, with the rest of the night filling up and tomorrow's presales looking the same.

Having time to reflect and talk to people, I still have to say this film is drat good. Is it perfect, no. I don't think most modern films can hit being perfect at this point. Was it entertaining? Did it make you momentarily forget the shitshow we're living in? Then there we go, at this point in time, I do feel we need some nostalgia. Compare it to the 2016 film? You really can't since the 2016 film is it's own separate universe. I do agree the CGI Egon bit did go a bit long, but I saw it as a way for the audience and the characters to fully say goodbye. We're shown the characters had a falling out, and we all know it's only a matter of time before we lose Murray, Ackroyd and Hudson.

Could the film have been better, sure. Can say that about a lot of films. But this was good and if there is a sequel which at what numbers I'm seeing so far isn't an impossibility, then I'm looking forward to it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Saw it. It was ok. I'm a huge fan of the originals and I felt the callbacks were too on the nose. My teenage son, also a fan of GB1, said "The first one was a lot better." We'll never get GB1 again but I was hoping this one would be reverent without being pandering. The overall tone wasn't too serious (like the original) but it lacked the charisma and pluckiness that made the original great. It just wasn't nearly as "smart" as GB1 and the comedy wasn't in the telling but rather explicit.

Spoilers

-My suspension of disbelief was reduced to ectoplasm over how much Phoebe could know/reverse engineer her triple-Ph.D's grandfathers work. This is even with consideration believing that she's a bona fide genius like Egon. Podcast knew too much, also, and while I appreciate that most of his lines are intended for the audience, he existed solely to explain things.

-Finn Wolfhard's character was completely superfluous. Outside of needing a teenager to drive Ecto-1, I didn't see a reason for him to exist in the plot. Yes, he has a crush on a girl that gets him to the mountain to hear Gozer but after that, he was an audience insert as to "What's going on?"

-Ray not believing Egon seems completely against type. He was the TRUE BELIEVER in the first film and while Egon was the brain, Ray was absolutely the heart. For him to disbelief a new apocalypse seems completely bonkers.

-CG Egon wasn't terrible but yes, he lingered way too long. Grandfather-Granddaughter Kamaehaha would have been cool if they would have left it with that and he gets sucked into the traps like the rest of the ghosts. Him sacrificing his afterlife to save the family would have been a great angle to end on. Instead, it was too much.

-The Gozer plot was too by-the-numbers and we've seen this before so they should have added another twist. That they didn't go for another giant representation of The Destroyer shows me that had some restraint but I was half-expecting it. Olivia Wilde was actually a pretty good casting. "ARE YOU A GOD?" was way too forced and Ray's response was cringe-worthy.

-The OG Ghostbusters saving the day wasn't out of left field but they paid too much homage to them. Gozer should have killed them where they stood and the "Crossing the streams" was always about reversing the polarity of the gateway, not tackling Gozer itself.

-I was very confused for most of the movie over how long Egon was dead before the family came out to the farm. It wasn't until the conversation with Ray that I find out it's only been a week. I did enjoy all of Egon's very creative uses of Proton Packs, gizmos and gadgets. I wonder how long he intended the Sacrificial Pit system to work. Apparently it had been causing earthquakes every day long enough that the residents didn't think anything of it. Could it have gone on indefinitely ("half life of 5000 years")

-Not-Slimer was ok but to use him as a plot-device at the end was kind of clever. Why the heck did it follow roads and not just fly over the fields?

-Lead child actress was very good. As mini-Egon, she sold the role. Mom didn't have much to work with. Paul Rudd was charming and I thought he'd have a bigger role. Overall, I just didn't like the kid-centric focus. Maybe I'm just a grumpy Old now.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The more I think about it the more I think they really should have done the Egon bit with just a ghostly arm helping his granddaughter but with no CGI face and then had the good byes done in a manner similar to what they did earlier with the moving objects and lamp etc. That would have been far less ethically dubious. I did find the scene effecting and did well up, but I also do NOT like CGI recreations of dead actors so it was a weird feeling, genuinely feeling moved but also frustrated and annoyed. I also think had they done it subtly with no CG Ramis that the reaction would have been far more kind. I think those who dislike the pandering aspects just tip over the edge when the finale comes round, and I can see why.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Saw this and thought it was a decent movie but had way too much of the specific recent brand of Nostalgia that The Force Awakens made famous. One specific thing that is a symptom of this, and which I dislike, is the focus on gadgets. I know why, because actors die \ age \ may retain their likeness rights where as gadgets live forever. Still, it annoys me. Ghostbusters was never really about the gadgets, they were just cool poo poo that the team had. Specifically in this movie the ghost energy reader that Egon used in GB1 becomes a very important prop used throughout the movie and it is annoying. It's just something Egon uses in GB1 in the background of most scenes to lend some believability to the proceedings! It's not Anakin's lightsaber! This was the main thing that was a bit eyeroll inducing for me, because the rest of the gear was treated more normally. I wish they had just introduced new things like maybe related to the seismic activity or things like the death whistle which was a very fun gag. Felt like most of the references fell into the groan worthy category and the CGi Egon just went too long. I think had they left it at ivo shandor making the town and played more into that (would have been nice if some descendents were believers) it would have been enough. I also agree with whoever said at the end Ray should have said YES immediately and lit her up.

Overall though it was fine, I enjoyed it, and I think Phoebe in general should continue in a sequel with Podcast (maybe with Ray mentoring them) because their characters and chemistry was actually great. Echo all the praise for Rudd and Coon, they were great even with the retread material they had to deal with. Woodbine was wasted as the sheriff he is great but wasn't given much to work with. Agree the brother was superfluous.

Gimme Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2: The Rise of Muncher - I mean Phoebe and I'll see it opening day. But to me the true ghostbusters sequel would have had ghostbusters as a franchise now, and the leads should be people using an uber-esque gig employment app to bust ghosts as an evil(er) elon musk type tries to destroy the market for ghostbusting by running deep in the red to undermine ghostbusters franchising and using unregulated proton accelerators and poo poo

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 21, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jerkface posted:

...Ghostbusters was never really about the gadgets, ...

:dafuq: :bighow:

You uhhh... I'm guessing you're older than me because I grew up with the movies and The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and loving everyone loved the gadgets. Paul Rudd was having the exact same reaction to seeing them that I (and I suspect more of the people posting in the thread than would openly admit it) would have had.

They acknowledge that in the second movie.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 21, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

8one6 posted:

:dafuq: :bighow:

You uhhh... I'm guessing you're older than me because I grew up with the movies and The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and loving everyone loved the gadgets. Paul Rudd was having the exact same reaction to seeing them that I (and I suspect more of the people posting in the thread than would openly admit it) would have had.

The gadgets in GB1 are like blasters and lightsabers in star wars. Integral to the movies success and the feel of the world coming through the screen, but not the actual FOCUS of the movie itself. Maybe I didn't say it right, but its the difference between liking Egon using the e-reader in GB1 and the e-reader being an entire plot device throughout afterlife, you know? Lightsabers are cool, but ultimately they're just a tool/weapon, and yet TFA makes this one SPECIFIC lightsaber the focal point of the movie. Its annoying to me and its all branding. To me GB1 was about the characters and their funny everyman interactions with the supernatural. Like the movie hardly even dwells on them creating all the tech, they just have it! Having just re-watched it Gb1 before seeing Afterlife my takeaway was definitely not "the tech needs to be a macguffin the next movie" - they're tools. Sick AF tools, but tools none the less.

Obviously the proton packs and traps are sick as gently caress, but thats not what I mean. No one is like "That's Egon's proton pack, the sacred treasure, we must use it." Thats what I meant by their treatment in the movie being better to me than the little e-reader device, they are still used realistically and expectedly in world.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 21, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The fans who cosplay do treat the gear like it’s a holy relic. People like me are like that’s cool I dig it lol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The PKE meter is used in 1 at the beginning, in the Sedgewick, I think maybe during the montage, and at the end during the Gozer fight. It shows up briefly in 2 when they're checking Dana's apartment and when they're out on the street. He actually mentions it then.

I think it's also used at the museum, when Peter is going nuts with the pictures.

In the cartoon, it's used all over the place, literally too often to be counted. Same thing for the game.

It may not be as iconic and often used as the proton packs and traps, but it's just below them.

Plus, it's handheld, only senses, and doesn't change or destroy anything. That makes it the perfect gadget to be used.

PLUS, Egon was literally using it on his own in the farmhouse.

It's literally a ghost detector. Made sense to me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The fans who cosplay do treat the gear like it’s a holy relic. People like me are like that’s cool I dig it lol.

Yea maybe its catering to a specific set of superfans. I dressed up as a ghostbuster for halloween in the early 90s and my mom sewed the jumpsuit and my dad made the protonpack, but theyre just cool things that make you a ghostbuster.

I also liken it to the guns in Aliens, they're loving amazing, but I wouldn't want a retread aliens reboot where they need to get like ripley's duct-taped pulse+flamer for some reason. It doesnt need to be in the movie!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's literally a ghost detector. Made sense to me.

Yea man but it doesn't need like 20 loving closeups and focused, lingering shots. It was moved from the background of most scenes to the foreground, which is the specific nostalgia baiting I dislike.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea the fans loving the gadgets is not the same as the movies fetishizing them. If anything the first movie in particular plays up how dangerous and kind of ludicrous they are (the elevator proton pack power up, “don’t cross the streams”, “I looked at the trap Ray :stare:”, the containment unit blowing). They do a little bit more with making them toyetic in 2 but it’s still not like e.g. 2016 where they have a whole “check out these gadgets, now available at Walmart for $39.99” scene

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Egon spends a large chunk of the library basement scene right at the start of the movie shoving the PKE meter right into the camera lens while Ray babbles about paranormal trivia and Peter scoffs at them, it was hugely important in establishing the scifi/fantasy crossover aspect of the movie and introducing that concept to the audience and cementing it in their minds. It was also done fairly subtly, they didn't do a big exposition dump explaining how it worked or anything, they just trusted that the audience would immediately understand "it's a geiger meter for ghosts" and roll with it.

That scene where they're wandering through the stacks also establishes that ghosts are easily capable of manipulating solid objects (symmetrically stacking books and knocking over shelves) and are semi-corporeal and can interact with humans (the ectoplasm that Peter gets all over himself) before they even spot the ghost, it was a really masterful way of establishing a whole ton of info about the supernatural in this setting in a super short time but also mixed in with a bunch of rapidfire jokes so the audience didn't even realise they were being fed all that info

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That - perhaps The Shining inspired - steadicam shot cited above is lovely, building to that moment when the PKE meter goes off and leading to what still remains a eerie and wondrous reveal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also note how the scene is all about taking the audience on a journey from the stance "Ghost stories are dumb and easily explainable and deserve to be mocked" to "Oh poo poo ghosts are real and super scary" with Peter sarcastically dismissing all the "evidence" they find, then the shelf nearly hits him and he suddenly turns serious and asks "This ever happen to you before?" and the audience realises the characters are already in way over their heads and are shook, and then they find the ghost and all the bravado and self-assuredness they've been showing just completely disappears. It's a remarkably economical scene.

But yeah, even though the ghostbusting tech is super important to the film it's also completely secondary to character establishment and the overall tone and mood. They spend a fair chunk of screentime lingering over the fact that they bought a rundown firehouse and a lovely old car and then completely skip over the parts where they fit out that firehouse and car with crazy new ghostbusting tech, that stuff just suddenly appears fully formed and it's assumed that the audience will go along with it. (They give it a slight nod by saying out loud "Hey look we have new equipment, gosh I wonder what will happen when we turn it on?????") In the exact same way they dedicate an entire scene to establish that Peter is a fraud psychic investigator and a sleazeball instead of establishing that Ray and Egon are genuine paranormal researchers who have never actually seen a ghost and instead explain all that with a few super fast lines while other stuff is happening. It was some really great work in getting the audience to invest in the characters but also throw in all this weird scifi/paranormal guff so quickly that they don't really have time to stop and think about it before the action starts

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Jerkface" posted:

Gimme Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2: The Rise of Muncher - I mean Phoebe and I'll see it opening day. But to me the true ghostbusters sequel would have had ghostbusters as a franchise now, and the leads should be people using an uber-esque gig employment app to bust ghosts as an evil(er) elon musk type tries to destroy the market for ghostbusting by running deep in the red to undermine ghostbusters franchising and using unregulated proton accelerators and poo poo

I like your idea about the town residents, could have been a cool twist. I also think you are right with the technology angle, it was weirdly mismatched with (not really a spoiler this was all in the trailers) people in the film watching Youtube clips of stuff that happened in 1984 and that was basically the only modern technology feature of note.

I always thought Ray would have brought the guys to town after some Summerville residents livestreamed the Muncher chase or even the ghost invasion (all three of the Ghosts) but the residents didn't do anything except refer to Egon as the dirt farmer, they didn't seem particularly bothered about the ghosts even. So it would have been interesting to find out they were all Gozer worshippers, Lucky is too, Trevor has to try and convince her etc etc

I know tech stuff was used in 2016 to varying degrees of success ('Ghosts are real!') but yeah it feels like they missed a trick, I know they did wave it away with the 'not a single bar' line early on.

I do feel the success of a sequel hinges on it's ability to do what made the original great, and riff on the 'ideals' of today. Musk is a good target. They could even flip it the other way and make the kids actually care about the environmental stuff or something, though that could be boring and convoluted.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol nobody is making fun of musk anytime soon

more than half the original surviving cast are SNL alumni if that's any indicator

if anything it's going to be about how bootstraps are alive and well

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alan Smithee posted:

lol nobody is making fun of musk anytime soon

more than half the original surviving cast are SNL alumni if that's any indicator

if anything it's going to be about how bootstraps are alive and well

Even though it was hardly a top movie experience wasn't the dumb billionaire in The Meg a Musk stand in?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Didn't someone here say that Janine and Winston were married?

I stayed until the end, I saw the entire movie right up until the flashing light on the containment grid... where was that implied?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Haslab Proton Pack is over 9000!!!

Oh, just in time for a GB Pulse event on Monday. What a good coincidence.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I enjoyed Afterlife. Maybe not the Ghostbusters sequel I wanted, but it was fun for what it is. I really enjoyed Mckenna Grace's performance. Paul Rudd is fun.

Where did the kids all get the proton packs at the end?

Regarding the main plot, is it fair things could have just continued as is, for a long time, if Ghost Egon hadn't shown Phoebe the trap? After all, that intervention more or less led to the final showdown.

Things that took me out of the film,
Ghosts that fly along streets back to the mountain rather than taking a direct path
A nitpick, but the batteries totally would have been dead on that remote-controlled ghost trap if it had been sitting in the ecto 1
"Egon Spengler can burn in hell" - not my Ray Stantz! I could buy that from Venkman or even Winston

It's fine but
Less CGI egon
The first Annie Potts cameo is weird. She's hanging out in Sommerville just go provide exposition and then disappear completely for the rest of the film until she's back in New York at the end? Also I guess I wish Louis could have shown up and ramble a bit about Egon's finances.
While most of the film looked like it was on location, Ray/Peter/Winston at the end looked like it was shot on a small soundstage and felt very boxed in and cheap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

roffels posted:

I enjoyed Afterlife. Maybe not the Ghostbusters sequel I wanted, but it was fun for what it is. I really enjoyed Mckenna Grace's performance. Paul Rudd is fun.

Where did the kids all get the proton packs at the end?

The first Annie Potts cameo is weird. She's hanging out in Sommerville just go provide exposition and then disappear completely for the rest of the film until she's back in New York at the end?

Phoebe has the same pack she's had all along, and Trevor is using the gunner seat pack. Podcast doesn't have one, and Lucky is a Terror Dog. The OGs all bought theirs from home, it looks like.

I assume Janine was in Summerville for will executor reasons, to hand over the keys, etc. She definitely could have been there longer, though

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

Phoebe has the same pack she's had all along, and Trevor is using the gunner seat pack. Podcast doesn't have one, and Lucky is a Terror Dog. The OGs all bought theirs from home, it looks like.

Ah. I didn't realize those were different packs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

roffels posted:

It's fine but
Less CGI egon
The first Annie Potts cameo is weird. She's hanging out in Sommerville just go provide exposition and then disappear completely for the rest of the film until she's back in New York at the end? Also I guess I wish Louis could have shown up and ramble a bit about Egon's finances.
While most of the film looked like it was on location, Ray/Peter/Winston at the end looked like it was shot on a small soundstage and felt very boxed in and cheap

Yeah, Louis would have made more sense as Egon's financial manager.

You'd think Janene would have more to say about Egon's death or been more affected by it, though if you accept GB 2 she had moved on from Egon fairly quickly.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I saw a matinee showing of Afterlife yesterday, and learned that in GB84, when Ray yells, “Aim for the flattop,” he was referring to Gozer’s haircut, not to the stone bench where she was standing. Live and learn.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Regarding the film's reverent attitude toward the equipment, I see where people are coming from, but I also think that's a function of how the whole film is shot.

Yes, we get loving, reverent shots of every piece of gear, and so I understand how it comes off like Luke's lightsaber in The Force Awakens… but I think the film uses closeups _in general_ more than the originals.

I was much more aware of the use of lenses on this movie than I was in the prior two. Wide shots were wider, close-ups were closer, there was probably more being done with depth of field. That's not to say the original films didn't give us the occasional intimate closeup or big wide vista, I just sensed it more on this movie—or maybe I'm mis-seeing because this one was on the big screen and I'm used to the original two at home.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From Reddit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsxhmXEmRZY

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Just got back from seeing this, had a great time - so much better than ATC it’s comical.

I didn’t even mind the CGI Spengs, and I teared up a bit when Ray was visibly holding back tears, both at the book store and at the end.

Also, I don’t think it was explicitly spelled out, but Lucky tells us that Shandor built the entire town, just after Phoebe talks about Gozer, the Sumerian god - I assume that Summerville was named after Sumeria by Shandor as another bit of Gozer reverence?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Avril Lavigne posted:

Okay. The pacing and humour of the original movies are a completely different vibe to the recent ones so try not to go in expecting anything similar, I hope you have a good time with em.

Ghostbusters (1984) was pretty good! I liked it and I see why people glom on to it. I'm sure it's just hindsight but it kinda makes sense that people would a) want to franchise it and b) not generally succeed. On paper it seems like there's a rich world to explore, in practice maybe it was funny people doing funny stuff on a tight script and it's ok to leave it at that.

It's probably just as well that I saw Afterlife first because I missed a ton of the direct insertions from the first film, so they didn't take me out of the movie with "why are we repeating this?" thoughts. Oddly, I think it worked better as a generic family adventure movie than having anything to do with Ghostbusters, and I retroactively think worse of it for not standing on its own.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My final thoughts on it all are kind of the same. As a movie, it's fantastic. Very well done.

As Ghostbusters 3, it's pretty good!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Really enjoyed this, a lot of fun. Seen a few critics complain about the call backs and things like that, not sure what people were expecting. I loved every one of them and they knew what their fans wanted to see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Really enjoyed this, a lot of fun. Seen a few critics complain about the call backs and things like that, not sure what people were expecting. I loved every one of them and they knew what their fans wanted to see.

I would argue they didn't know what their fans wanted to see which is why people are complaining about it. I'd probably be more favorable to the callbacks if I wasn't a big fan who grabbed every Ghostbusters thing I could, but I already had Ghostbusters 2, Ghostbusters the game and Ghostbusters 2016 to fill my quota of "here are references and callbacks and thinly veiled retreads of the original Ghostbusters." I wanted something new from Ghostbusters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The PKE meter is used in 1 at the beginning, in the Sedgewick, I think maybe during the montage, and at the end during the Gozer fight. It shows up briefly in 2 when they're checking Dana's apartment and when they're out on the street. He actually mentions it then.

I think it's also used at the museum, when Peter is going nuts with the pictures.

You're a little off.

In GB1, the PKE meter is used in the library, at the Hotel Sedgwick, when Louis is dropped off at the station (it freaks out, Egon says "you'd better bring him inside"), and that's it. Egon's using a different instrument when he tells Ray, "This looks extraordinarily bad," on the rooftop.

In GB2, it's used, yes, in the apartment, over the street (along with the new Giga-Meter), very briefly in the museum scene (Egon immediately darts off-camera scanning as they enter), and it's seen on the evidence table during their trial. That's it.

Regarding Afterlife, it's neither good nor bad. It's basically a straight remake of the first movie (holy poo poo, that third act, and the score, good God) with some "new generation" pieces bolted on. Edit: Mckenna Grace was phenomenal, though, and Carrie Coon made the absolute most of a relatively thankless role.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 22, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The PKE meter was also recycled as a communicator in John Carpenter's they live.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PeterCat posted:

The PKE meter was also recycled as a communicator in John Carpenter's they live.

Suburban Commando, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Regarding Afterlife, it's neither good nor bad. It's basically a straight remake of the first movie (holy poo poo, that third act, and the score, good God) with some "new generation" pieces bolted on. Edit: Mckenna Grace was phenomenal, though, and Carrie Coon made the absolute most of a relatively thankless role.

I was all "wow this Mckenna Grace person is amazing" and then learned I'd apparently wiped all memory of seeing "Gifted".

And yeah it was the third act that most made me retroactively mad after watching (1984). You have total license to do whatever, why not try something.

edit: Specifically, the possessed people breaking out of the plaster-y cat monster shells is what turned me.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 22, 2021