Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pentyne posted:

Might've just been a desperate attempt to salvage the relationship by adding a new pet for them to bond with. People will end having actual kids in situations like that too.

Maybe, but the text of the post seems pretty strong on the ex being 100% moved on, what with trying to get a house with the new bf she had maybe cheated on OP with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

packetmantis posted:

When I walk up to my cat sometimes she dips her head so I can kiss her right between her little baby ears.

Mine does that and her little ears flatten in anticipation and it's the best thing even though my body is by now pretty much just a meat mecha being piloted by toxoplasmosis.

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

Breetai posted:

Mine does that and her little ears flatten in anticipation and it's the best thing even though my body is by now pretty much just a meat mecha being piloted by toxoplasmosis.

My handsome little kissboy jumps up on the table next to the door to put his head up for smooches every morning when my partner and I leave for work. We accidentally trained him to want kisses when he hears us pick up our keys.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I will kiss any cat, any time, anywhere. You cannot stop me from kissing the cat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

coronatae posted:

I will kiss any cat, any time, anywhere. You cannot stop me from kissing the cat

*Found mauled to death by a fossa in Madagascar*

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

:c00lbert:

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Cat kiss talk reminds me of this

I bet she kisses the bunny right between his floppy ears and her husband just seethes

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

How pathetic do you have to be to be angry and sad when you got a cuddly rabbit in your house? You’re just trying to be miserable bud

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That thing sounds uncomfortably close to dogpilling or whatever the gently caress incels are calling that hosed up thought today

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My wife probably isn't doing anything sexual with her rabbit. Which yes, is a male.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for giving a bigoted jerk a taste of his own medicine?

quote:

There’s this guy in my grade whom we can call “Paul”. We’re all in high school. Paul regularly goes around making racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc. comments. He’s probably discriminated against every single minority group that exists. He also happens to be Muslim.

The other day, there were these Asian kids eating lunch together. Paul then walked by with his friends, pointed to the Asian kids and said, “Woah! Watch out guys, it reeks of COVID around here!”. Some other people told Paul he was being an rear end in a top hat, but Paul continued to laugh at them.

I then spoke up, and said, “Hey Paul, mind if I see your backpack for a sec? Nothing personal, it’s just that Muslims like you usually carry bombs in there”. Paul got quiet real fast, and said “drat, chill bro” as he walked on. His friends laughed for a moment before continuing with him.

The Asian students thanked me for standing up, but they said that I shouldn’t have stooped to Pauls level and said that. I pointed out that people had tried standing up to him in other ways, and he still kept being an rear end in a top hat. I promised them that I wouldn’t say anything like that in the future.

I know that what I said was islamophobic, but it was a last resort when nothing else worked. And Paul has stopped his bigoted comments after this incident.

AITA?

Nope. Never. Dudes who throw rocks need to be able to dodge them just as well.

Stoop to their level and make them taste the curb. Violence, not rising above, is what bullies understand.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wabbits, you say?

AITA- My mom makes me care for a pet I’m allergic to

quote:

When I was in 4th grade, I got a pet rabbit for Christmas, his name is Coca. Funny thing is, we later realized I’m allergic to rabbits. I’m a sophomore in high school now and we still have Coca. He’s entirely my responsibility, I feed him, clean the cage, etc. the problem, whenever I clean the cage, my allergies go off. Not like sniffling a little, i get really itchy, normally I have to use my nebulizer because I can’t breathe. I kissed the top of his head a few weeks ago, and my lips swelled up double their size and didn’t go down until the following day. All on top of a runny nose and feeling lovely. I normally have to wear gloves and a mask, but it dosent help much. My moms gets mad at me for not taking him out of his cage ever, or putting off cleaning the rabbit cage as much as possible, but it’s because I always feel horrible after any interaction with him. I love him to death but I want to get rid of him because I can’t give him the love he deserves without making myself miserable. My mom dosent want to get rid of him though because she wants a farm and dreams of having rabbits, that would, most likely, be my responsibility to. I also, got upset at her for getting rid of a family dog(because she didn’t want to care for it) and yelled at her that I have actual reasons for wanting to get rid of Coca, not just because I’m a lazy *****.

Am I in the wrong? I don’t think I’m the rear end in a top hat, but everyone in my house makes me feel like I am. Should I be responsible for a decision I made in elementary school? I just don’t know what I should do. (Edit: I apologized for yelling and getting upset, she got rid of a family dog that I love and didn’t tell me until the morning of, so I was sobbing my eyes out and angry, especially because I’ve been asking to get rid of Coca for years)

AITA for making an "insensitive" comment at work to a rabbit?

quote:

So I work for animal control, not an officer I just caretake the surrenders and arrests that come in. Recently we've had an influx of rabbits. I don't particularly like rabbits but I would never maliciously hurt one like I would never hurt any animal out of maliciousness.

That being said, I do hunt a few times a year and have hunted rabbit before. My co-workers know this but i didn't bring it up unless asked. The other day when I was cleaning out the rabbit cages one of them was on the floor while I was emptying out the cage. He then proceeded to leave a trail of poop all around the room for me to clean up. Annoying but happens. So I picked up the rabbit with the intention of putting him in an empty cage so I could clean the floor and I make the snide remark:

"Alright buddy, you're starting to look a lot less cute and a lot more like lunch."

Obviously I was joking but one of my coworkers who was passing down the hall heard me and came running in freaking out and pulled the rabbit from my arms. I asked her what gives and she said she heard me and she was going to report me for trying to hurt the rabbits because obviously I was a raging sociopath and couldnt be allowed to handle them.

Clarification: this coworker has a trauma surrounding this that I didn't know until after the fact. She had a rabbit when she was a kid and her grandfather killed it and made her eat it in a stew before telling her what it was. If I knew I would have been more careful because that's super messed up.

She reported me to my supervisor watched the security cameras which have no audio so they just showed me doing my work as normal. However I was given a formal reprimand for being "culturally insensitive". Now here is where I think I took it too far, I pulled my native tribal ID out of my wallet and said that hunting was part of my culture and by banning me from taking about my culture and would be guilty of ethnic discrimination. Honestly, I was just pissed and refusing to sign any acknowledgement of guilt for being rude to a rabbit not to mention the ridiculousness that all of this was from me talking to myself. She sighed and assaigned me to the cat section, which I am certainly not complaining about. But she told me any comments regarding hunting given the place of work is innapropriate regardless of culture. I wanted to argue with her that if her concern was animal well being that she should no longer allow any farmed meat products in the break room but I also wanted to keep my job.

AITA for not being more careful with my words? I really feel bad about triggering my coworkers past but i'm also kind of pissed because I have a perfect work record that's now tarnished for no reason whatsoever.

EDIT: the reason why I got so aggravated and pulled put my tribal ID was because in the past we had chickens in our care that were officially named by another coworker in the system as Nugget and Gravy. I did what I did because I knew they didn't have anything on me regarding saying meat puns to myself because apparently by their own policy it was allowed to use meat puns in official documentation. But for some reason saying it to myself caused some kind of personal concern about my potential behavior. That's why I did what I did. Did they actually expect me to hunt and skin an animal to eat on the job? It sounded to me like they were accusing me of being a savage who couldn't resist hunting and eating an animal on the job. And I felt like there was some definite racial undertones.

Not Wabbits, I say!

I (30f) adopted my brother (14m) but he found out and wants to meet our father and sister

quote:

He was born my brother, but he's my son so I don't want to call him that. To make it simple I'll call him Jayden or son.

Growing up was horrible for me. My parents hated me and the effort and money meeded to do the bare minimum. It was just hell. When I was 16, Jayden was born. I basically had to raise him myself, between work and school. My parents divorced shortly after he was born and both refused to take him, because they 'did enough' with me and wanted to be 'free'. So at 18 I adopted him (they were happy to give him away, even prepared the paperwork and stuff) and I moved away with a friend.

I never planned to tell Jayden the truth. His whole life I've been his mum, and he's been my son. That's how I see it, and was basically always the mother, even before I adopted him. They wanted nothing to do with him, and I know I'll never abandon my son, so I thought thinking you had a mum was better than no parents. As far as he was concerned, his father was nice but passed when I was pregnant.

Since then I married my husband, and had two more children. I have zero contact or connection with any family other than my son. So my husband didn't know either, and has treated Jayden like a son. Jayden is now 14 and loves his stepdad (calls him Dad!) and is an amazing big brother, the three kids are super close.

However, two months ago my sister reached out to me. Said she wanted to talk and meet me and Jayden, and that her father missed us and regrets not having a relationship. Ive never met her, she must have been born after I left. I basically told she was mistaken and had the wrong person. I didn't feel it would be good to say the truth, given it sounded like she cares about her father. I blocked her and have tried to just ignore it.

Unfortunately she also messaged Jayden. Apparently he didn't believe her, cause I'm 'mum', but he found it weird. He brought it up a few weeks ago, as a joke apparently, and I tried to just act confused, but I'm not a good actor. He said I basically went pale and was obviously hiding something. He brought it up again when we were alone and I explained it to him. That our parents sucked, but I loved him. That I adopted him, and he's my son whatever they say.

He hasn't reacted well. He has basically ignored me since then, for the most part. My husband told me that he's just confused and needs some time (Jayden has talked to him about it). My husband wasn't happy I hid it, but he understands why I would. I really am lucky he's understanding. No one has told our daughters, but they've noticed him being distant to me. I'm sure they would love him no matter what, he'll always be their older brother.

He was finally willing to talk a week ago, but said he wants to meet his biological father and our sister. He said that he understands if he can't, but I think that was for my sake rather than how he feels. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want father to hurt him, he was so willing to abandon Jayden before. He's my son, I love him and raised him and have to protect him. But it's family and he really wants to know them, or at least meet, and I have to admit our sister is innocent in this. But it means reconnecting with that abusive piece of poo poo, even if hes better now or whatever.

What should I do? I'm just scared and confused. My husband has no idea and so far has just been playimg peacemaker. I want to do right by Jayden, but Im terrified that letting them meet will ruin everything.

30m husband asked 26f me to have sex with his friend. He left me, is saying I cheated, and I'm pregnant.

quote:

This didn't work last time I posted it but hoping it does now as things have spiralled.

TLDR hosed my husband's friend while he watched, per his request. He left me over it, told everyone who will listen that I cheated on him, and I'm pregnant. I need to confirm who the father is.

My husband and I have 2 kids, ages 2 and 4. We married when I was pregnant with the 4 year old, and have been together just over 5 years total.

About 6 months ago my husband asked me to have sex with another man while he watched. I was not 100% comfortable with it, but he asked a few times and I eventually agreed. I had a couple of rules, like whoever he found had to have a recent and clean STI test because husband didn't want condoms used (I was on birth control), and he had to set it all up, and that was the extent of my involvement until the event itself. He found a friend willing to do it. Husband said he was sure he wanted this and begged me to go through with it. I did, and he left within a week, citing this as his reason.

He's now telling anyone who will listen that the friend and I cheated. The friend told the truth, but obviously no one believes that my husband asked his friend to gently caress me. If someone has asked me about it, I've told the truth, but no one believes me, either. I've been cut off from my husband's family due to this, and as my husband is not currently in contact with me or the kids, the kids have been cut off as well, which is hurting them. Most have just gone silent on me, but the few who have reached out have not been kind. It was our younger child's birthday a few days ago and we arranged to do something with just family (grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, all dad's side) and no one came. My brother ended up dropping by but that was a surprise as he wasn't invited as I'm low/no contact with most of my family, so my kids have primarily interacted with their dad's family and that's the side they're more attached to.

It's been about 4.5-5 months since the friend, and a month ago I found out I was pregnant. I had plenty of sex with my husband both before and after, but the fact I also had sex with the friend, and my only protection has clearly failed, cannot be overlooked. I'm now starting to show.

I need to know who the father is. My husband isn't speaking to me, not even to discuss a divorce or the kids, and I don't even know where he's living right now, but if I ask the friend to get tested and my husband finds out, this whole situation becomes significantly worse.

There are a couple of aspects I need help with, so I'd be grateful for any help on any of them:

What do I do about my husband's family, who the kids adore and really want to speak to?

What do I do about my husband, who is ignoring our kids?

What do I do about the baby? Do I talk to the friend first or my husband? Neither of them? Both? What's the safest way to go about this?

UPDATE 30m husband asked 26f me to have sex with his friend. He left me, is saying I cheated, and I'm pregnant.

quote:

TLDR I want a divorce and full custody and husband wants neither but holds all of the power here.

I went for a DNA test and ran it against a cheek swab from my 2 year old, and the result suggests they are full siblings. I told my husband, who has said he will be arranging his own paternity test.

I called a solicitor and we're trying to start legal proceedings. Unfortunately, I live in a country with very specific rules around divorce, so the easiest way to end my marriage would be if my husband filed for divorce, claiming I cheated. It is still possible for me to apply for a divorce, but it's more complicated as he hasn't been gone long enough to claim desertion, and hasn't done anything divorce-worthy in the eyes of the law, so I'm leaving the specifics to my legal rep and hoping they can sort it, but we informed my husband, and we're kind of hoping he files first on grounds of adultery. While adultery shouldn't affect the outcome of the divorce re splitting assets and custody, though my legal reps are checking our pre nup, and 50/50 custody is the norm here, I intend to go for full custody as he has ignored the kids since he left, and even when he was here, I was by far the more involved parent.

When I told him I was pregnant, which was after I told him about my plan for divorce, he then sent me several messages saying he forgives me for cheating and he wants to be a family. I had asked his friend to contact snapchat to recover the old messages in which my husband asked him to gently caress me, and when I went to ask him for an update, the friend appeared to have blocked me. I have also recieved roses from my husband, with a note reiterating that he forgives me, he loves me and the kids, and he wants to make this work for the baby. I don't even know where he got my new address.

As he has not offered an alternative explanation at this point I'm going with the general consensus on my last post, which is that my husband has manipulated me into cheating on him so he can divorce me while getting as much sympathy as possible. New developments suggest the baby has ruined this plan. I'm also assuming that if the paternity test shows the baby isn't his, he will divorce me, though based on the siblingship test this baby is his, which means my marital status is in the hands of a prick.

Good lord. I think this is pretty much the definition of gaslighting. Oh he forgives her for being sexually manipulated? What a piece of poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for giving a bigoted jerk a taste of his own medicine?

Nope. Never. Dudes who throw rocks need to be able to dodge them just as well.

Stoop to their level and make them taste the curb. Violence, not rising above, is what bullies understand.
:emptyquote:
Turning the other cheek just gives them another target to hit. Break their loving fingers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for wanting to not do stuff against my religion at work?

quote:

I work at a coffee chain and ive been forced to handle foods against my faith. i figured the chain would be fine with me working there since they put 'diversity' and 'accomodation' above everything but me being the only religious minority means the higher ups have forced me into it.

everyone asks why i took the job, but i guess i was blinded by the 'accepting environment' and i only have experience in food service so i couldnt really take other jobs. having food service experience means retail and clothing shops havent considered me

they claim i wouldnt be able to work properly, but i disagree as food isnt the only thing we do there. ive worked shifts before where i havent even touched food sometimes (when the nicer people there didnt force me)

we're also a diverse city, so im not sure how this is a big request.

aita for wanting to not do stuff against my beliefs? ive wanted to leave the job for a while anyways but there arent many jobs around. my religion provides a pass if you're in a specific situation so im fine there, but i feel... kinda discriminated against?

considering at one point i was asked why i cant just leave (sorry i have to work. i wouldnt have taken the job but i have to make money to survive)

edit: as usual, stabs at my beliefs. swag. very classy guys.

anyways ive been trying for months now to get a new job, so hopefully i can find one soon. i wish i didnt HAVE to take this job

ah here come the hateful private messages. real swag guys nice one

Your morals won't let you do a job? Time to get new morals or a new job.

No, OP didn't say what food. Pork products? Meat in general?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowslips Warren posted:

The coffee itself and Mormon, I bet

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Only worked in food service so you can’t work in retail??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like if it were religious they would have explicitly said so in the post.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

The coffee itself and Mormon, I bet

I never even thought of that.

It is in Canada per comments.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like if it were religious they would have explicitly said so in the post.

They did, they said "my faith" and "religious minority". They also said that there was an exception in certain circumstances which definitely sounds like a Jewish or Muslim person handling pork.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Mormons can't technically drink coffee but they don't spontaneously combust if they touch it. I have a hard time imagining one could get through a single shift at a coffee shop if handling coffee was a deal breaker. I'll put my marker down for muslim, and problems with slinging bacon/egg/cheese breakfast foods.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They say they're muslim in the comments after a truly incredible amount of whining and snitting about how unfair it is that anyone would ask

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AFAIK most dietary restrictions are on consuming the substance, not handling it. At worst it is considered unclean at you have to wash your hands afterwards, which you should be doing anyway.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean the real answer is they're not the rear end in a top hat for feeling uncomfortable and wishing they could do a different job and hopefully they'll be able to get one, because even if their religious codes allows for them to handle the food in a circumstance where they can't get another job I'm sure it feels mentally uncomfortable. Having worked in food service before unless they work at the all bacon product cafe there's plenty of other work they can do at almost literally every point in time to make up for someone else taking point on the bacon when someone orders it.

It's just they're looking for external validation in a pretty lovely place for it and asking for it pretty badly.

EDIT: At the same time yeah I don't think they're doing anything wrong by handling bacon, just if the question is 'am I the rear end in a top hat for feeling upset about this' the answer is no because it's... entirely subjective...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, it is pretty clearly haram for her to be selling Bacon products in the first place, so, uh, why is she even at that job. Handling schmandling, its the selling that is an issue*

*This becomes a huge theological debate issue with say, dock workers and other people who work in transport industries.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

I mean, it is pretty clearly haram for her to be selling Bacon products in the first place, so, uh, why is she even at that job.
Money is required to obtain goods and services.

The real question is what the heck sort of retail job doesn't consider food service experience valid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Money is required to obtain goods and services.

The real question is what the heck sort of retail job doesn't consider food service experience valid.

Sorry, I wasn't clear and tried to edit it in; her handling or not handling of the product isn't actually the problem her religion has in this case perse, its working at a business which sells the product. There is no actual accommodation to be made for her religion, her religion asks her not to participate in that expression of capitalism.

Edit: Also to be clear, I'm not a scholar nor an imam, this is just the interpretation I'm most familiar with based on my upbringing. I always liked the saying what God forbids, he also forbids its price (i.e. you cannot profit off of a bad act even if you, yourself are not committing it)

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 22, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Technically speaking, almost every religion in my experience is made up of loopholes you make or give yourself so that you can do what you want to do without feeling too bad about what your religion says you shouldn't.

Yes, your job should be accommodating to you. But if your coworker was unable to do part of the job because of their religion, be it serve coffee, or handle pork products, I can't imagine many co-workers being understanding to that, and most managers certainly aren't going to be either.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Pork being gross is a cultural muslim thing, so I can see why one might get grossed out by handling it/smelling it/etc. Like, I wouldn't want to work in a place where I was slicing up baby seals or smell roasting dog and think "gently caress, that actually smells pretty good."

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

i figured the chain would be fine with me working there since they put 'diversity' and 'accomodation' above everything

And you believed them??

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for making an "insensitive" comment at work to a rabbit?

quote:

Clarification: this coworker has a trauma surrounding this that I didn't know until after the fact. She had a rabbit when she was a kid and her grandfather killed it and made her eat it in a stew before telling her what it was. If I knew I would have been more careful because that's super messed up.

:staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Jealous of an 11 year old.

quote:

I (16F) bought a kitten from a neighbor. Their daughter (11F) was quite fond of that kitten. When it was time to give the kitten to me, daughter asked to come everyday to see kitten. I was like sure nothing wrong with that. Till she'd come almost everyday and would cuddle my kitten while saying "I missed you my baby". How do I POLITELY tell her to gently caress off that's MY baby now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This exact story is surprisingly common, I think its happened to goons in this very thread. Hell my family had extended members who tried to pull this on younger ones.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

This exact story is surprisingly common, I think its happened to goons in this very thread. Hell my family had extended members who tried to pull this on younger ones.

I too played psychonauts

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, Mormons aren't allowed to drink coffee? Why not? Not trying to be mean about it, just the first time I've heard about that restriction, I think.
An ex of mine has a grandmother who did this exact thing to her, except it was a pet chicken. She's *very confused* as to why her daughters don't want her coming around to see her grandkids.

Edited, had the wrong religion, whoops

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 22, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, Muslims aren't allowed to drink coffee? Why not? Not trying to be mean about it, just the first time I've heard about that restriction, I think.

An ex of mine has a grandmother who did this exact thing to her, except it was a pet chicken. She's *very confused* as to why her daughters don't want her coming around to see her grandkids.

It’s Mormons who can’t drink coffee. The literal scripture is “hot drinks” but this was interpreted to mean caffeine and then after the 80s only coffee and tea regardless of temperature. Muslims invented coffee. The shop sells pork products which is odd because most coffee shops here just sell pastries and maybe some overpriced pre-packaged stuff.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 22, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, Muslims aren't allowed to drink coffee? Why not? Not trying to be mean about it, just the first time I've heard about that restriction, I think.

There is a general proscription on intoxicants. Some muslims take this to be anything that alters your state, caffeine included, but its not a universal thing and obviously not a mainstream position since like, the 1500s

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Whoops, I'm not sure how I managed to get Mormon and Muslim completely switched around. Apologies and edited!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Is coffee enema still okay since you arent drinking it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most soft drinks (used to be?) banned too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I thought it was a caffeine thing with Mormons, my understanding is they're pretty strict on any sort of 'mind-altering substance' no matter how normalized/mild, which can cause problems when someone has a legitimate mental disorder that needs medicating. I don't know if there's any official doctrine over taking psychiatric medication in case of serious medical need, but my suspicion is that psychiatric problems are considered something that needs to be prayed away even if there'd be understanding over someone needing to take, say, insulin. Hopefully that can shift in the future with more recognition of mental illness as potentially a physical problem and not a 'spiritual' one.

EDIT: From googling around I also suspect it depends on specific like, sect and stuff, it sounds like mainstream Mormonism is understanding that some issues require prescribed medication to deal with whereas some stricter sects might... disagree.