Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

"the image of an angel becomes an angel" which is an ambigious statement that is poorly defined at best (what if you copy a video cassette that has a recording of an angel on it? If you had access to a DVD pressing factory could you run off a couple of million angels? what if you streamed an angel on twitch?),

Now a drawing of an angel counts as an image of an angel (how good does the drawing have to be? what about a stick figure? Or someone representing an angel with emoji?).

Counterpoint: this sort of thing is far more interesting and thought-provoking than sending people back in time and this is what Angel stories should be about. Hell yeah I want somebody streaming an Angel on twitch, what happens then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thought the idea was that a nearby angel could possess the image and use it to teleport itself to a new place, not that it made a new one?

What could the Division even offer the angels to get them to co-operate? In Doom Coalition it was literally 'universe is ending, get on board if you want to survive'. What leverage would they have normally?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
The flaming Angel was cool in a stupid stupid way I think.

As soon as Peggy said the Angels agreed to leave her be, I knew she was the old lady, because why else did they zap everyone they came across but her?

And I completely missed that Vinder is Grey Worm. (To be fair, I've blocked out pretty much everything about his arc in GoT because it was also pants, as they say. Also now he has hair and emotions, and I guess testicles so that is a big departure!)

Professor Jericho was cool.

Overall I have severe doubts that this is going to stick the landing, but for a few brief moments in the first weeks I had hope.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That episode was pretty alright but I think that'll do me for Angels for quite a while. Honestly thought it would've been stronger if the Flux stuff wasn't shoving its way back in, you could almost think it would be a relatively alright isolated two parter, next episode's got potential.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Division is dumb as poo poo, and I've never liked the Angels from day one (because they're too spooky for me.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was a mess. It might have worked if they had just made it a story about the Doctor and companions in two time periods working together to try and solve the problem across time to stop the Angels, but instead it was peppered through with Vinder and Bel's storyline, the Division nonsense, and they directly contradicted or ignored their own "rules" about Angels constantly. I really wanted to like it and there were times it was very atmospheric or interesting, but that's definitely the absolute worst Angel story so far.

Just get on with it and say the Division is the "CIA" and it's the interim period between the 2nd and 3rd Doctor and get it over with please. Nobody cares and nobody believes the Doctor is the Timeless Child and it's just bad.

Well, I thought that was brilliant, the Angels were genuinely scary, the dialogue was good, and the characters well-realized. The Angels observed a few new rules, but that’s happened every time we’ve met them, and this episode at least fixed the worst excesses of Moffat’s two-parter by explaining that the “image of an Angel is an Angel” thing requires a lot of effort/energy, so they won’t do it often and refugees like the three in Blink wouldn’t do it at all.

I have also figure out The Division, although precisely what it entails I couldn’t say. The give-away was the hostage-taking Angel calling it, simply, “Division.”

This whole sequence is concerned with a conflict or power struggle between Time and Space, yes? “Division” isn’t the name of the organization, it’s the goal of it. The Division wants to divide Time and Space. No idea what that means because the idea is rather mad. At the least, it suggests that Chibnall had all this planned at the start of his run: the Timeless Child, the Division, Space and Time. Odds are good that when it all gets explained, it won’t make much sense, but it is cleverer than “the CIA just got a different name”. The one blessing (?) with Chibnall is he’ll usually overexplain instead of doing the Moffat “you want to work out the details of what happened? Don’t be silly, mate, I’m already off on the next adventure and you’re just sad dwelling on the past.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I hate Twitter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SiKboy posted:

Is that an inbetweener? (also Yaz can look while Dan fixes the torch because its BEING TOTALLY UNOBSERVED THAT AFFECTS THE ANGELS but I dont want to go on about it...)

Yes, but if it goes completely dark, when even if you're looking you can't see them...

Yes, eyeblinks are fast, but the Angels are faster - that's part of why they're a scary monster

Loved this episode

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Angel stories are tough because they do have these very hard/fast rules that other monsters don't. You can run away from a Dalek or duck laser shots from a Cyberman but an Angel *will* catch you if you look away so the writer has to work harder to contrive ways out of that situation. (Though yeah, nobody's tried blinking one eye at a time. I remember Colin Baker bringing that up at a panel.)

I liked the story. It's hurt a bit by the Flux thing because they had to leave a lot of things in the air (why are the Angels so interested in the Division?), but it was tense and atmospheric and has a very nice cliffhanger (albeit one that BBC America's commercial breaks kinda stepped on.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Winking helps but it still doesn't satisfy your brain's need to blink, at least for me.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I guess that had a couple of good ideas (I liked the Angels ringing the doorbell) but anything good about it was ruined by being part of this stupid storyline. I just want this Division nonsense to end, but it won't until more unnecessary stupid secrets of the Doctor's past are revealed. At this point I'd be kind of surprised if Bel's baby wasn't the Doctor. God, Chibnall sucks. I'd rather watch a whole series written by Pip & Jane Baker than him.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well, that was certainly an ending.

Also, for those that missed it.
The credits start up and then theres more show before the credits cut back in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Action Jacktion posted:

I'd rather watch a whole series written by Pip & Jane Baker than him.

Well now hang on a second let's not say things we can't take back!

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
Chibnall is smashing it out the park. Best season with Whittaker so far. More of this please sir!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gschmidl posted:

The angels have always been loving garbage. You can blink with one eye at a time, for gently caress's sake.

e: as pointed out more eloquently above.

Didn't the the guy in Blink do the one eye at a time thing?

Jerusalem posted:

I forgot all about Angel Bob too! Still pants, but at least it has precedent (....pants precedent?)

The other thing regarding them dumping people back in time was that the original idea was supposed to be they sent you as far back as you had time left in your life, so you would basically live long enough to get back to the day you were originally sent back and that way they got to feed on the displaced time of your now non-existence. To be fair, they kind of screwed that up even in Blink since the Doctor only got dumped back a few decades as well, though I guess you could handwave that as Martha setting the precedent for how much time to send them back?

Ehhh I think you're injecting your own interpretation of things here. In Blink Sally's best friend had apparently died of old age years beforehand.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Goddamn, the Angels are a boring villain. This episode used the time travel thing well, but the rest of it is kind of a mess and the "dont blink" thing isn't scary the tenth time around.

The 180 that The Time of Angels did on them, i.e. that they're suddenly sapient beings with goals and motivations, kind of sucks. They were initially kind of crocodilian, unthinking predators without much motivation. You can't easily give them agency or character given that they're a bunch of styrofoam props. NuWho, please invent another cool alien villain!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Ehhh I think you're injecting your own interpretation of things here. In Blink Sally's best friend had apparently died of old age years beforehand.

You're right, the cop did die basically at around the same time he first met Sally, but I remembered her friend having died very recently but looking it back up she'd been dead 20 years before Sally got her letter.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The thing with the Weeping Angels for me is that they worked really well in Blink because that's a really tightly constructed story where every element is designed to fit with each other. They work in Blink because they're tailor-made for Blink, and they never really work in anything else because they're tailor-made for Blink. Seems like if you want to use the Angels in a story that's not Blink you're either forced to come up with new gimmicks or start bending the original rules, both of which undermine the point of using the Angels in the first place. They're an essential cog that makes the narrative machinery of Blink work very well, but when you remove them from the rest of it you're left with basically just their most basic modus operandi and visual design along with some catchphrases like "don't blink", just empty iconography and story mechanics devoid of purpose.

I'm sure someone could come up with a way to tell another functional Weeping Angels story, but even then you would have to work backwards and tailor the story for their purposes to the extent that I don't know what the point of that kind of story could be beyond "another functional Weeping Angels story".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It could've been the Sandmen (remember those?), so let's at least count that blessing?

And I say that as someone who hated Blink.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

gschmidl posted:

And I say that as someone who hated Blink.

Here's my obligatory head-scratching at the notion that so many people (ITT, and elsewhere) said "Blink" was the episode they used to introduce people to DW, because why would you show a new viewer an episode of one-off characters that barely features the Doctor? :confused: It's like showing someone "Mission to the Unknown" to try and get them into the classic series. (E: or rather it would be, if it wasn't a missing episode :v:)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here's my obligatory head-scratching at the notion that so many people (ITT, and elsewhere) said "Blink" was the episode they used to introduce people to DW, because why would you show a new viewer an episode of one-off characters that barely features the Doctor? :confused: It's like showing someone "Mission to the Unknown" to try and get them into the classic series. (E: or rather it would be, if it wasn't a missing episode :v:)

The argument such a person made to me is that it's an introduction to the setting and vibe of the show (debatable) where none of the story relies on any other episode, viewing, or knowledge of the show.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's the one with all the memes and people love memes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vinylshadow posted:

Yes, but if it goes completely dark, when even if you're looking you can't see them...

Yes, eyeblinks are fast, but the Angels are faster - that's part of why they're a scary monster

Loved this episode

Yes, but there is no need for them to BOTH simultaneously stare wide eyed at the angel while dan tries to fix the torch without looking at it is my point. That was dumb as poo poo. My point is that as long as Yaz doesnt look away or blink dan can look down, fix the torch and then it wont be completely dark as they would then have a working torch. "Hey yaz, you dont blink for a minute while I try and fix this".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Angels have magic torch-breaking powers now or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that even in their first appearances they were draining energy from light sources to make it dark

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Ever since RTD threw in that reference to the Time Lords being aware of the Angels (or even having weaponised them), I’ve kind of wanted to see this kind of delving into their past and motivations, not going to lie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SiKboy posted:

Yes, but there is no need for them to BOTH simultaneously stare wide eyed at the angel while dan tries to fix the torch without looking at it is my point. That was dumb as poo poo. My point is that as long as Yaz doesnt look away or blink dan can look down, fix the torch and then it wont be completely dark as they would then have a working torch. "Hey yaz, you dont blink for a minute while I try and fix this".

Since when have scared people ever made rational choices or had a clear head with which to think with?

The horror genre would be a ghost town

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Since when have scared people ever made rational choices or had a clear head with which to think with?

No you're thinking of Under the Lake.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Vinylshadow posted:

I used to think horror movie protagonists were stupid until *gestures around*

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The argument such a person made to me is that it's an introduction to the setting and vibe of the show (debatable) where none of the story relies on any other episode, viewing, or knowledge of the show.

I'm just wondering how many of those people subsequently went "where's Sally Sparrow" when they watched another episode, realized the show wasn't actually about her, and "nope"d the heck outta there. Especially if they got shown the episodes with "penis head Dalek" or "Gollum Doctor" right afterwards.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Angel stories are tough because they do have these very hard/fast rules that other monsters don't. You can run away from a Dalek or duck laser shots from a Cyberman but an Angel *will* catch you if you look away so the writer has to work harder to contrive ways out of that situation. (Though yeah, nobody's tried blinking one eye at a time. I remember Colin Baker bringing that up at a panel.)

I liked the story. It's hurt a bit by the Flux thing because they had to leave a lot of things in the air (why are the Angels so interested in the Division?), but it was tense and atmospheric and has a very nice cliffhanger (albeit one that BBC America's commercial breaks kinda stepped on.)

The Angels are a combination of horror movie monsters and the Moffat fairy-tale season, so both call for a set of rules governing how they operate. But the rules don't make sense, never did, and keep changing in subsequent appearances, just like most horror movie monsters.

Even the quantum lock mechanism coupled with the weeping posture makes no sense. The Angels are quantum locked when observed, meaning that they don't have to know they are being observed to get quantum locked. An Angel unexpectedly quantum locked wouldn't cover its eyes because it doesn't know that it needs to do so. More to the point, why would an Angel cover its eyes instead of closing them? Covering means your eyes are still open, someone could stick a mirror in your hands, etc; closing your eyes is also substantially faster than raising your hands (try it at home, kids!). The instant you're unlocked you can open your eyes again, navigate, and then shut them at the next available moment. But then they wouldn't be the "Weeping Angels" and the whole conceit falls apart.

They prey on people by sending them back in time. That means that all Angel lore comes from the Angels' victims, recording warnings prior to being attacked by the Angels. Within the puzzle-box of Blink, maybe that's a stable or sustainable system. But if you get tossed 32 years into the past, why in the world wouldn't you write yourself a letter with explicit instructions on how to not get thrown into the past? And as we see, being hurled into the past doesn't mean you can't be alive "both times" at once: what happens if you meet yourself?

And the biggest open question, at least until this last Angel episode: how can they possibly travel anywhere? Unless Angels are just found randomly on planets, they'd have to either dematerialize or cross interstellar space. (The "image of an angel is an angel" might work, but that's also pretty solid nonsense introduced in their second appearance.)

In short, none of the rules really matter: they're a horror movie monster and they do or don't do things based on whatever the current rules happen to be. Compare to the supposedly non-rules-based series monsters and you'll find far more consistency among them, despite the fact that we get new Cyberman designs almost every time they appear and the Daleks keep gaining and losing characteristics because their creator gets confused about their not being robots (Terry Nation, not Davros).

SiKboy posted:

As it happened, Yaz could have watched while Dan worked on the torch without any change in the results, because the cloud passing over the moon made things dark enough for the Angel to attack. Two people looking hedges against a sneeze or startle or other response that might lead one to blink. I think you're expecting rather a lot from Dan, anyway, given that his method of fixing seemed to be tapping on it rapidly.

Might as well complain about how the camera moves kept us from watching the Angels and preventing their attacks. At least we avoided the cringeworthy moment in Flesh and Stone where we saw an Angel turn its head.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Updog Scully posted:

The 180 that The Time of Angels did on them, i.e. that they're suddenly sapient beings with goals and motivations, kind of sucks. They were initially kind of crocodilian, unthinking predators without much motivation. You can't easily give them agency or character given that they're a bunch of styrofoam props. NuWho, please invent another cool alien villain!

Not that it changes your point any, but the Angels are actually actors in costume a surprisingly large amount of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URpf1j9HuDA&t=460s

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think I'm ready to say that Flux just isn't working for me. We're over halfway through the 6 episodes and I don't really know what we're doing other than, "Trying to survive something really bad that's happening to the universe, also the Division is a thing that is bad" and I don't really care much about anything that's happening. Unless these last 2 episodes are really impressive at bringing things home...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gschmidl posted:

It could've been the Sandmen (remember those?), so let's at least count that blessing?

God that episode was such a bizarre and tonally off style of episode. The ending felt like something Joseph Lidster would have written.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I think I'm ready to say that Flux just isn't working for me. We're over halfway through the 6 episodes and I don't really know what we're doing other than, "Trying to survive something really bad that's happening to the universe, also the Division is a thing that is bad" and I don't really care much about anything that's happening. Unless these last 2 episodes are really impressive at bringing things home...

It's Chibnall, so hope is definitely the first step on the road to disappointment here.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Professor Jericho was the sex shop sales guy from that one episode of Bottom.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I finished Season 11 today and…. I thought it was pretty alright? Sure there were some embarrassing episodes like Kerblam, but a lot of Who seasons have multiple bad episodes. The next season must be truly something else for Thirteens years to be so looked down upon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's still stuff to enjoy in season 12, my biggest issue with it is the ending but in general I felt the stories weren't quite up to the level of season 11, there were no real standouts like It Takes You Away. There are some episodes that kind of blow you away at particular moments though, like the ending reveal in the first episode, but the follow-up to those leaves quite a bit to be desired (in my opinion anyway).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Unkempt posted:

Professor Jericho was the sex shop sales guy from that one episode of Bottom.

He was also in all the Pirates of the Caribbean films (as Jack Sparrow's first mate)

He also popped up in Dalek Universe starring David Tennant.

And of course, he was in The Twin Dilemma with Colin Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The angels cover their eyes so they don't lock each other like happened at the end of Blink.