Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game with by far the best multiplayer. All the covenants worked great. DS3 purples wish they were as entertaining as Rats.

Also the Belltowers were really good fightclubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm honestly genuinely curious how many people don't like Dark Souls 2 versus how many people say they don't like Dark Souls 2 only because everyone else says it.

Did people really just want Dark Souls, but again? That's basically what we got with Dark Souls 3.

I liked that they tried something else

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Concurred posted:

Yeah, it was called Bloodborne

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

anothergod posted:

This is bait

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Concurred posted:

I'm honestly genuinely curious how many people don't like Dark Souls 2 versus how many people say they don't like Dark Souls 2 only because everyone else says it.

Did people really just want Dark Souls, but again? That's basically what we got with Dark Souls 3.

I quite liked DS2 on my first couple of runs at release, my fairly low opinion on it now comes solely from my pre-DS3 replay expecting to have a great time and being gradually driven insane by the mechanical and design choices specific to that game

and yeah

skasion posted:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

skasion posted:

:nallears:

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Concurred posted:

FromSoft tried something else with Sekiro, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Dark Souls 2 is just Dark Souls 1 but worse.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The combat in DS2 just feels so weightless to me I don’t know what it is

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My main issue with ds2 is just how ugly it is overall. So many areas are just grey or brown featureless castle/fortress interiors. Basically on a similar level for detail in environmental design as like.. Dark Forces 2.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

hatty posted:

The sound design is bad and enemies all look like tiny little models.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also everyone has weird proportions, everyone's very squat and thicc and the animations are both slow and abrupt.

One thing I do like about DS2, and presumably also about Elden Ring, is that the R2 strong attacks seem far more viable. DS2 strong attacks have excellent motion values, and deal noticably high damage. Like I can one-shot Amana Aberrations with a Craftman's Hammer 2HR2. Not only that, the attacks are quick and cost a reasonable amount of stamina. I'd go so far as to say that they really make alot of the large weapon movesets more viable, you can effectively switch between narrow and sweeping attacks with either R1 or R2.

In contrast, DS3 R1s are your bread and butter, theres usually no reason to ever use R2s except for risky mixups.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game with by far the best multiplayer. All the covenants worked great. DS3 purples wish they were as entertaining as Rats.

Also the Belltowers were really good fightclubs

the rat covenant was loving awful lol

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I've never bought a special edition of a game before and I kinda want to with this but I don't want to pay eBay scalper prices, am I likely to have any chance whatsoever at doing this or should I just give up? Tips welcome. I managed to snag a PS5 by obsessively watching this site and catching a Wario64 link, is something like that my only chance?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

actionjackson posted:

the rat covenant was loving awful lol
didn't know it was opposite day

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Ratties could have benefited from more customization, but the idea was great. Like the Gravelords in DS1, I love PvP that puts the penalty for failure on the invader.

That said, even a single ascetic and the right lockstones in place really made it more of a "watch Goofus get murked by NG+ enemies" covenant. Janky but fun defines a lot about DS2...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hatty posted:

DS2's animations are hosed up because they're mocapped instead of hand animated, which I don't think fromsoft had any previous experience with, and cause of the shitshow it went through in development they never got to finish them so they fit into the world and flow properly. They all stick a bit too rigidly to the exact way they were recorded. It also has really terrible audio/visual feedback when you land a hit or get hit compared to the other games, and its hitstun lasts forever and makes you pose like you're about to take a poo poo.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 22, 2021

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

As much as I enjoy DS2 I like dunking on that game because holy poo poo do the idiots love to effort post how much they like the game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I like a lot of ds2 but I despise the limp-rear end attack animation for axes and some swords. That lazy upward twirl. Looks like poo poo and it’s impossible to tell what part of it hits and when.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the 1h axe/mace animations in ds2 are better than the ones in ds1, but honestly that doesnt take much

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They get much better when you actually hit things with them in 1 and 3 hth

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DS3 doesn't have powerstancing so it's a step down tbh

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dabir posted:

They get much better when you actually hit things with them in 1 and 3 hth

Too bad they only had 1 boring rear end swing in ds1. Like bitch ur telling me I can swing this ultra great sword twice but I’m too weak to swing backwards with this mace? Get outta here

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think I used power stancing once intentionally.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

anothergod posted:

As much as I enjoy DS2 I like dunking on that game because holy poo poo do the idiots love to effort post how much they like the game.

yeah! gently caress the thing likers

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Me when somebody's talking poo poo about DS2 animations

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Concurred posted:

I was hyped for it on release, but it didn't grab me to the point where I haven't finished it until they patched in a new final boss.

The level design felt a lot less interesting. I don't remember how progression works in that game, but I think I got more than halfway through it, still thinking "it has time to become better, and after all, I probably missed like 3 big secret locations!"

The locations felt uninteresting aside from a few, and most of the bosses felt the same. DkS1 felt like every boss was a new challenge. Some were more humanoid, others giant monsters, some threw projectiles while others used elemental damage. Quite a few weren't even hard at all and acted more like a set-piece, while others were puzzle-based. Who doesn't remember Sif, Gaping Dragon, or even Moonlight Butterfly?

I don't really get how it's "different" from Dark Souls 1 to claim that it tried to do something unique. All three games are still very similar, and Souls 2 seems more focused on playing up the same stuff people loved, with references that feel forced and difficulty which seems out of place.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My only substantial complaint about DS2 was the weird art direction on the textures. Everything looks kinda smudged and muddy compare to DS1 and 3. I don't know why it looks like that or why it was meant to be a good idea.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm probably gonna buy this video game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

huh posted:

I don't think I used power stancing once intentionally.

I tried it and I wasn't impressed. DS3 kept enough of it with the twin weapons imo.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

DS3 doesn't have powerstancing so it's a step down tbh

I did find it cute that there were two powerstance weapons and they're specifically from Drang(leic). And they were two of the most powerful and common powerstance weapons from there. All it needed was Dual Estoc to complete the set.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

bewilderment posted:

My only substantial complaint about DS2 was the weird art direction on the textures. Everything looks kinda smudged and muddy compare to DS1 and 3. I don't know why it looks like that or why it was meant to be a good idea.

That could be a relic of when they were going to have more of a light/dark theme with torches being more important. Not entirely sure how far that was supposed to go but if they had to change the lighting a lot close to release that'd probably do it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Roobanguy posted:

the 1h axe/mace animations in ds2 are better than the ones in ds1, but honestly that doesnt take much

DS1 clubs/maces/axes were "balanced" around having an extended recovery animation when you whiff. In exchange, they have massive base damage and are staples of SL1 runs. Which isn't very fun.

DS2 mace 2HR1s have that weird flourish which makes the attacks feel a tad sluggish. The 2HR2s on the other hand feel great to use, they're quick and have massive motion values.

DS3 club 2HR1s are insanely powerful, they come out noticably faster than mace 2HR1s and hitstun like a bitch. DS3 R2s on the other hand are broadly inferior, they're never your bread and butter attack.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS2's animation problems show themselves pretty quickly if you need to aim at something slightly higher or lower than usual. They're so rigidly baked that they just can't adjust their angle, unlike every other game in the series. Good thing there's no really tiny enemies that demonstrate this problem perfectly in, say, the hub area! It would be really embarrassing if something that shouldn't be any kind of threat is borderline unkillable because you have to exploit the terrain just to get your attacks to connect.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

caldrax posted:

I've never bought a special edition of a game before and I kinda want to with this but I don't want to pay eBay scalper prices, am I likely to have any chance whatsoever at doing this or should I just give up? Tips welcome. I managed to snag a PS5 by obsessively watching this site and catching a Wario64 link, is something like that my only chance?

"Collectors" editions are massively produced and should be able to be had reasonably from your local store. But you would be better off never buying physical media or closet destined dust collectors again

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Flytrap posted:

I did find it cute that there were two powerstance weapons and they're specifically from Drang(leic). And they were two of the most powerful and common powerstance weapons from there. All it needed was Dual Estoc to complete the set.

Oh yeah lol DS3 Drang Twinspears are one of the most underrated weapons that somehow carried me to gold rank in Arena on my DEX/FAI buff build. They have fast multi-hitting attacks that are good vehicles for transferring your weapon buffs into your opponent, but also have insane range and great running R1s and rolling L1s to round out your moveset. Gotthards are theoretically good but they're boring without a good true combo. Drang Twinspears on the other hand have a generic L1-L1 or R1-L1 combo that nevertheless hit and silly number of times.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Has anyone here read any of the Dark Souls comics? I quite enjoyed the Bloodborne ones and was wondering whether they would be a good way to tide be over before Breath of the Hotdogman finally comes out

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flytrap posted:

There's three, Brigand Twindaggers. Plus every fist weapon.

E:

Flint_Paper posted:

Has anyone here read any of the Dark Souls comics? I quite enjoyed the Bloodborne ones and was wondering whether they would be a good way to tide be over before Breath of the Hotdogman finally comes out

I bought the collection a couple of weeks ago. No, they suck tremendous poo poo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vookatos posted:

All three games are still very similar, and Souls 2 seems more focused on playing up the same stuff people loved, with references that feel forced and difficulty which seems out of place.

It's like they responded to a general internet survey about Dark Souls, taken by a bunch of twitch users, and then implemented whatever they said without any context or testing. Everyone's favorite DS1 boss was Artorias? That means players love fighting dudes in armor so make 75% of the bosses that. I know it had development troubles and the scattershot design really shows. If there's a reputable writeup (not like Vaati making poo poo up) on why it all went down the way it did I'd love to read it.

None of this matters because ER is going to be super awesome.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
DS2 is weird because it's a game that is deeply, truly flawed, and yet every time there are discussions about it i get a traitorous little voice in the back of my head saying "maybe we're too harsh on it" and "let's try making another character, and actually finish it this time" and then i play it again and go "christ, what was i thinking??"

...that said, i kinda wonder if there are any overhaul mods for it that try to rebalance it, like DS3 has? i know there's ones that make it even more obnoxiously difficult, surely there are ones that try to make it more fun instead, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will say that I like DS2's take on being a sequel than DS3's and it was cool to see the world had actually moved on and Anor Londo had become ancient history. It still ended up horribly botched by having to shove something out the door to be released in time, but I appreciate what they were going for