Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

It’s hilarious how much we like following them when they’re rules but don’t care when it’s just guidance

British people loving love The Rules. Laws we're not so keen on, guidelines we don't give a poo poo about, but Rules just thrill our inner Lampard. If they'd set up a tip line for non-compliance (that went straight to an answer phone with no tape in it) compliance would have been near 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Literally the only reason they won't do a mask mandate is because Tories won't follow it and will be photographed. As it is, they can at least attempt plausible deniability, as seen in that clip.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean also every indication suggests that they actively dislike acknowledging that the virus exists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Get Brexit Done cabinet seems averse to any real world force that is determinable but not directly observable by the fabled Common Sense.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a tip line for non-compliance (that went straight to an answer phone with no tape in it)
Ah, the nudge unit.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

If this is reality, then show your numbers. Your claims are in direct opposition to the 2012 report from the NAPF which showed public sector pensions as being lower than private sector. It's an old report, but still relevant because it dates to before the change from final salary to career average which represented a significant cut.

You're not wrong that the majority of private sector workers are going to be very poor when they retire, but that's because the great majority of them don't contribute to a personal pension. For public sector workers it's automatic unless you opt out.

Median pension wealth is still much higher for public sector pension holders than private sector ones. As you identify, part of that difference is public pensions usually being opt-out, although auto-enrolment for private pensions was supposed to reduce that gap a bit. Regardless, though, a defined-benefit pension, which is the norm for public sectors, generally seems to be a much better deal for the holder over a defined-contribution one, even if career average DB is worse than final salary DB.

(I am personally paying into a career average DB public sector pension.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Literally the only reason they won't do a mask mandate is because Tories won't follow it and will be photographed. As it is, they can at least attempt plausible deniability, as seen in that clip.

That can't be it, because the rules are for the paups, not for Tories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Whiny git that's the proper experience https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1462721809548251138?s=20

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

Median pension wealth is still much higher for public sector pension holders than private sector ones. As you identify, part of that difference is public pensions usually being opt-out, although auto-enrolment for private pensions was supposed to reduce that gap a bit. Regardless, though, a defined-benefit pension, which is the norm for public sectors, generally seems to be a much better deal for the holder over a defined-contribution one, even if career average DB is worse than final salary DB.

(I am personally paying into a career average DB public sector pension.)

Oxford has been a city since the 90s :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leicester has been a city since 1919 but 'town' is still the city and 'city' is the football club.

e: And 'Leicester Football Club' is the Tigers but nobody ever calls them that.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jedit posted:

You're not wrong that the majority of private sector workers are going to be very poor when they retire, but that's because the great majority of them don't contribute to a personal pension. For public sector workers it's automatic unless you opt out.

This isn't true at all, it's automatic now in the private sector too and has been for years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1462669780863918085

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it was his dad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/57Rovert/status/1462671293795508227

Narrator: The British did not learn from the Dutch, nor from anyone else.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

That can't be it, because the rules are for the paups, not for Tories.

They know that but we don't, at least not sufficiently.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1462763566881251334?s=21

https://twitter.com/bulbuk/status/1462760139698675721?s=21

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It would transpire that what they did learn was not simply a harmless christmas tradition.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Better for youse to join one of the 5 bigger energy providers until this crap runs out maybe?

I'm with Power NI over here which is probably the best i have access to. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1462766086244507648

e: oops, meant to post this

https://twitter.com/themralex6/status/1462769957486403584

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 22, 2021

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Oxford has been a city since the 90s :colbert:

Hey, I needed a username years ago and was listening to a lot of Bob Dylan at the time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I live a couple of metres below the high tide mark of the Thames (thanks to the Dutch) and haven't been much worried about flooding since 1983[1]. Insurers *do* count a significant chunk of inner London as a flood zone and refuse to cover it for flooding though, but then I suppose if the Thames Barrier ever fails that's probably going to be the biggest insurance claim in history so they have to hedge their bets. I had to laugh when they told my mate he couldn't have flood coverage though, given he lived on the 19th floor. If the Thames got through *his* letterbox I'm fairly sure nobody's going to notice if they don't pay up.

[1] Well at least until I went on a tour of the pumping station that pumps fresh water into the docks (the gates at the other end are deliberately leaky to ensure circulation) and found out it's remotely controlled. Given the state of cyber security in this country I'm suddenly concerned that an unpatched XP box running IE6 and VNC could be the only thing between me and having a pretty extensive water feature.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

oxford_town posted:

Hey, I needed a username years ago and was listening to a lot of Bob Dylan at the time.

Imagine regretting a username chosen on the spur of the moment over a decade ago.

Ahem.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

The Netherlands also has issues with houses built on flood plains for much the same reasons.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Weren’t Bulb already looking after customers from other failed suppliers?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jedit posted:

I think there's several different lanes for us to consider in the private sector. The people that don't contribute to pensions will be the ones that are earning very low wages and with the bare minimum contributions (or close to it), and they will have poo poo pensions to go with poo poo wages, even if they do pay into it. The people with better wages tend to have better pension options, better than the public in many cases, but I doubt there are many people with pension options as good as the public sector, that choose to opt out. I know there must be some (we do live in a country full of idiots and a high wage doesn't mean someone is at all intelligent), but remember you do have to opt out of pensions even in the private sector these days.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I live a couple of metres below the high tide mark of the Thames (thanks to the Dutch) and haven't been much worried about flooding since 1983[1]. Insurers *do* count a significant chunk of inner London as a flood zone and refuse to cover it for flooding though, but then I suppose if the Thames Barrier ever fails that's probably going to be the biggest insurance claim in history so they have to hedge their bets. I had to laugh when they told my mate he couldn't have flood coverage though, given he lived on the 19th floor. If the Thames got through *his* letterbox I'm fairly sure nobody's going to notice if they don't pay up.

Ah I didn't realise that your place is in such a precarious spot. So what's the over/under on when your block becomes unlivable due to being permanently and irrevocably flooded due to climate change? Another 20 years?

Also, maybe it's just me but I wouldn't want to live on the 19th floor (or any floor) of anything which suddently gets its foundations permanently submerged in a completely unplanned way

e: nothing personal m8, it just continues to blow my mind that people are not freaking out about climate change

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Imagine regretting a username chosen on the spur of the moment over a decade ago.

Ahem.

Especially one chosen because you needed a username & were listening to a particular song at the time. (In my case, Forkboy by Lard)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ahem.

Yup.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean that right there is the perfect argument against privatisation. A national utility that the country needs, and investors can just decide to go 'nah mate, not funding that.'

E: werd

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They're going to force us back to the office by instigating rolling blackouts to residential addresses.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If you get a chance to watch the vid of his speech, it's really loving bad.

He thinks it went well.

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1462765158925746178

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ahem.

You can change it you know

My first username was "congealed period" because i wanted to make people incredibly upset every time i posted. Turns out i didn't need a username to do that!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Starmer trying his best to gently caress up worse than Johnson

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1462778780343226369?s=21

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1462777403416133639?s=21

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Starmer trying his best to gently caress up worse than Johnson

He forgot "Fascism is fine", but I suppose there is only so much room in a tweet.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean that right there is the perfect argument against privatisation. A national utility that the country needs, and investors can just decide to go 'nah mate, not funding that.'

E: werd

i think that'll turn out to be an argument against the price caps

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Ah I didn't realise that your place is in such a precarious spot. So what's the over/under on when your block becomes unlivable due to being permanently and irrevocably flooded due to climate change? Another 20 years?

Also, maybe it's just me but I wouldn't want to live on the 19th floor (or any floor) of anything which suddently gets its foundations permanently submerged in a completely unplanned way

e: nothing personal m8, it just continues to blow my mind that people are not freaking out about climate change

Nowhere in London (at least nowhere upstream of Woolwich[1]) is at risk of being left *permanently* underwater. This sounds like a weird thing to say given how low-lying the riverside areas are (and the amount of places where you have to walk uphill to get to the river) but London itself is comfortably uphill from the sea, and all of the riverside walls between Barking Reach (just upstream from the barrier) and Teddington (the end of the tidal stretch of the Thames) are at least half a metre above local high tide, with all of the walls in the centre of town a metre or more above[2].

Sea level rise isn't really a problem because, like I say, the walls are already more than high enough to keep us going for centuries before any part of central London would be flooding regularly. London floods because of storm surges and spring tides - the massive wide and shallow estuary funnels even normal tides into massive rushes of water by the time they get to town (the difference between high and low at London Bridge is over 6 metres, and a current that flips from 5kts downstream to 4kts upstream). On spring tides (when the moon is in line with the sun, amplifying the tide) this can add another 20 or 30 cms, and if you combine that with a North Sea windstorm blowing in just the right direction you can get surges of up to 7 metres (i.e. a metre or more above local high tide). This is what the Thames Barrier is for - it closes when those things line up to prevent even the risk of overtopping of the river walls.

Even without the barrier though, it isn't a New Orleans (or Dutch) situation where the defences are against a permanent high level of water - even if a wall fails the water flows straight back out six hours later, and because they're all concrete and steel rather than earthen, there's no risk of total failure from an overtopping. Of course this is still lovely for some people - I still have nightmares about the accounts from the 1928 floods, the last major failure of London's flood defences, where people were trapped in basement flats by waters rising at a foot a minute, in the middle of the night - but ultimately like I say once everything's been pumped out an some Polyfilla slapped on the river wall you're safe for quite a while.

Of course the barrier has a finite lifespan - climate change means more frequent and more violent windstorms so the probability of a surge coinciding with a spring tide keeps going up - but even the most pessimistic predictions say that the barrier, which was deliberately overengineered because there was no real reason *not* to - will still be sufficient up until the end of it's design life in 2070, and even if it turns out much, much worse than that, again it's not as if the barrier fails all in one go, it just gets overtopped a bit, and that water still has a *lot* of Thames to fill up before it risks going over the walls.

In terms of my own specific situation - well, the walls on the Isle of Dogs are some of the highest in London because it's such a sharp bend and so was at most risk in a pre-barrier London, and all of them can be very easily and cheaply raised, so I'm not actually that concerned - or rather I know if I get flooded out it will be a footnote in a cataclysm big enough that my ruined carpets will be the least of my worries.

Oh, and to your other point about foundations and flooding - the IoD is all reclaimed marshland, they're *already* underwater, all the time. If anything a little extra splash will do them good, the desiccation of the London Clay thanks to higher temperatures and increased water abstraction is a bit of an issue for raft-foundationed buildings like a lot of the council flats around here.

[1] Nobody gives a poo poo about places downstream of Woolwich, but you'd have thought *someone* would have noticed the amount of places around there with "Marsh" and "Ford" in the name before building massive housing estates there.
[2] There are of course exceptions - if feedmegin ever went for a lunctime walk from the N&S building he'd have almost certainly seen them closing the riverside walk outside Customs House because they managed to dodge raising their walls after the 1953 floods)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re pensions: the private sector has very few guarantees, and things like “you will still have a job next year,” “your pension is safe” “this company will still exist tomorrow” and so on can all becomes false at any time.

If you’re not actually in the “earns passive income” part of the private sector, your pension probably is worse than someone with even a low defined benefit pension. Defined contribution schemes can go up and down of course so you might be lucky and have it mature when the pension fund’s investments are doing well, but that’s a hell of a chance to take on the money to live on when you can’t earn any more.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Starmer trying his best to f*** up worse than Johnson

What about *ffffaaaaaaaaarttttttt*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[2] There are of course exceptions - if feedmegin ever went for a lunctime walk from the N&S building he'd have almost certainly seen them closing the riverside walk outside Customs House because they managed to dodge raising their walls after the 1953 floods)

I mean I was there for about 2 minutes between moving to London and us all being packed off to work from home, and we're currently moving offices to a smaller place in Aldgate :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

That's not even the real Oxford! (Though my wife's alma mater is there, so next time we visit the US we're likely to be visiting it)

According to wikipedia, however, it is also still a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So goddamnedtwisto that bit at the end of day of the triffids where London flooded as everyone had gone blind wasn't entirely accurate?

I've been lied to my whole life.

E: Wait. I'm getting my John Wyndam confused. It was the Kraken wakes where aliens melted the ice caps and THEN flooded London.