Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I remember hearing this in CA and CO too. People would wait at the trailheads and bikejack people when they showed up on a nice MTB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

actionjackson posted:

what about the picture in the OP saying that it was a good combo?

also this would definitely be in busy areas, almost always in daylight, and not for too long

I think the point is this: there's always a bike that will be stolen.

Whether or not the bike is yours is variable.

So the order goes: cables, folding, chains, u-locks (somewhat interchangeable depending on thickness). The downside is u-locks and chains are heavy and modern bikes tend to be modular with quick releases on the wheels. This means you've got to compromise because you ideally need to lock up more than one part of the bike but multiple u's and chains are a pain to cart around. U-lock and a thin cable to the wheel like in that example is a good example of such a compromise.

Think of it this way, if its a shopping run and you're leaving it in daylight for a small time, then a u-lock and cable (or a u-lock around the rear wheel and frame and a rack) is fine. Even a chain. As people have said, cables can be cut easily and quickly.

Nobody is going to try out an angle grinder on a bike lock outside the shopping centre in daylight.

Also its generally an opportunity thing. If you're bike is better protected than the bikes around it, then its less likely to be the one stolen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

Nobody is going to try out an angle grinder on a bike lock outside the shopping centre in daylight.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1230400178819039232?s=20

https://news.sky.com/video/video-thieves-use-angle-grinder-to-steal-bicycle-from-outside-shopping-centre-12465215

Don’t be so sure about that.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

welp...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Indeed, welcome to the UK, where the party in power actually did defund the police, over multiple decades, for no particular reason other than being cheap.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

wooger posted:

Indeed, welcome to the UK, where the party in power actually did defund the police, over multiple decades, for no particular reason other than being cheap.

Oh no, who showed up later to take notes and file a report, never to be heard from again?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

What Brompton owner doesn't take their bike inside with them? It's expensive and one reason is that to folds/unfolds in seconds and is small enough to stash at work or at a restaurant.

That being said, someone should have kicked his rear end.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Move over bike-granddad there's a new game in town

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1460670230439464960?s=20

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal Friend posted:

lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Depends where you live, and what the locking culture is. Sheffield and Chesterfield for example they don’t go for the U locked bikes because of the 100+ bikes per square mile locked up with plastic coated wire combination locks that can be cut with pound shop wire cutters.

There is a bike theft option here that you check before taking your bike somewhere new. https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/metropolitan-police-service/junction/?tab=CrimeMap

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

So I've been running a hacked together adapter for my bike child seat for a while, and I would say it's probably ok after a month of weekday use.
I had this somewhat more secure on my old commuter bike's rack, and had to figure out how to put it on the Xtracycle deck.
This has held up ok, though the seat has drifted forward maybe half an inch. I reset it, but will be annoying if it doesn't eventually settle.

pt 2: winterizing.
My first attempt at weatherproofing was around rain. Since April, I'd only managed to get caught out in the rain a couple of times, and just a sprinkle.
But there were a few really rainy weeks and I was tired of going on the subway and adding that extra risk.

I got two things to try out:

A Maruto zip up boxy cover: https://www.amazon.com/MARUTO-Pocketable-Rain-Cover-Child/dp/B00TSABH4G

This was very convenient to put on and take off, but it was a little short, so that the top was pushing down on the babb's helmet and forcing him to hunch forward and look down.
Also, the plastic window seemed not really up to the task of repeated creasing, even though it's advertised as foldable -- it was already showing some white crazing.
I thought about making a frame for it to hold it up higher, but it didn't seem big enough to justify.

The other one was a Hamax poncho: https://www.hamax.com/product/rain-poncho/

I didn't touch this for a while, just thinking that the babb would hate to be more restricted and not have his hands free.

Looking for more spacious canopy solutions, I found some DIY article that used the Qool cover from a Joovy stroller. I rolled the dice and got one, and got flat metal stock to try to form some sort of hoop. Just really improvising.

Fashioned a 4ft bar into a hoop:

And test fit the cover to it:

Can't make it out in the pic, but there's a loop with velco on each side that I'm using to attach to the hoop.
There's pin holes in front of the legs and that vent in the top rear that hopefully draws some air through the canopy so it's not a complete coffin of dead air.

My thinking was to add some hinge hardware onto the deck:

Not the greatest but I think it'll be sufficient:

I had really wanted a QR setup so I can eventually leave the hoop off for sunny days, but this is fine for now. Well, except the nyloc doesn't seem to want to stay where it is.

I needed to secure the cover at the front, for those really windy days where it would just collapse and smush into the kid.
The Tern came with this bag/rack mounting system called KlickFix, which has some QR plates and various mounting hardware. It seemed like it might be a good fit as a rear mounting gadget, so I got a seatpost mount and fixing plate for a basket.

I wanted to pad both halves of the plate with some rubber sheet so it doesn't cut into the (quite thick) canopy plastic, punched holes:

Roughly placed the plate to the front of the canopy:

Better shot of the 'cleat' on the QR plate:

Bolted to the canopy:

The bit of red is the release button for the mount.

The space around the top half of the seat is great:

But as you can see, the legs get left out, which leads to the winter part.
I don't think the metal hoop would be a significant factor in a crash, in that something else would be hitting the helmet just as hard at the same time as the hoop making contact.
I do want to keep an eye on the hinge pieces for a while to see how they hold up.

Also wrapped the hoop in electrical tape as the babb seemed to want to hold onto it.

It's been dropping from 50F in the morning, to 45, to 40, to 35.
My escalation has been:
55F:
- jacket

50F:
- canopy as shown above

40F:
- rain jumpsuit, which is pretty good as a windbreaker
- socks as gloves/arm warmers

35F:
- breaking out the Hamax poncho

The poncho is quite easy to use. Its elastic fits tight around the seatback, so as long as you tape over any holes in the seat, you have another layer of windproofing for the torso.
The leg coverings can wrap all the way around the footrests of the seat, but not quite as snugly, so maybe some wind leaks in behind the calves.

This morning was around freezing, though not too windy. I deployed the full setup for the commute and things seemed fine when I peeled him out of it.

He hasn't put up any real fuss to either the sock gloves or the extra restraint he's in.
And apparently wasn't bothered by the poncho hoodie sliding forward over his eyes.

Boston can get down to 20F on some days. I've got a snowsuit coming to replace the rain suit layer. I think that'll be enough for the extreme temps.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 18, 2021

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
That's impressive! Does it fog up at all?

kimbo305 posted:

My thinking was to add some hinge hardware onto the deck:

Not the greatest but I think it'll be sufficient:

I had really wanted a QR setup so I can eventually leave the hoop off for sunny days, but this is fine for now. Well, except the nyloc doesn't seem to want to stay where it is.

Would the spacing work to just use a wheel QR skewer and a rigid tube to provide some interior resistance? If you get the length of the interior tube right, it seems like it wouldn't stress out the hinge hardware too much.

In ascii art something like this? QR=⅃=====L=QR

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boonoo posted:

That's impressive! Does it fog up at all?
It hasn't, but I'm not sure if it's cuz of airflow or the lack of humidity.
On wetter days, that stuffier Maruto cover did fog a little.

quote:

Would the spacing work to just use a wheel QR skewer and a rigid tube to provide some interior resistance? If you get the length of the interior tube right, it seems like it wouldn't stress out the hinge hardware too much.

In ascii art something like this? QR=⅃=====L=QR
Hmm, I'll play around with that idea. The spacing is about 90mm at the bolts, so pretty drat close to 100mm at the uprights, hopefully within the threaded range of a front skewer.
It'll give me a chance to brush the iron bits with some rust converter, too.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lot to unpack here.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's taking purposely locking up to a natural gas line to a new level. :stare:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that rotor cracked just to the left of the bolt at 12 o’clock?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is that rotor cracked just to the left of the bolt at 12 o’clock?
That's just a floating disc?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

That's just a floating disc?

This bit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Might be dirt or shade but yeah, kinda sus

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

learnincurve posted:

Hello my name is Elsie and I’d like to say an extra special “gently caress you” to one particular member of a 6 person wide 10+ dog, some loose some on extending leads, group on the clearly marked “CYCLISTS AND HORSES” section of the national cycle way.

Sir it was not helpful when you told me, having stopped for your group and now entangled in dog leads, that you “like this section because it’s wider” and no I don’t give a flying gently caress about the lead I took a pen knife to to get it off my bike. I was not going to “just” remove my chain.

Dickheads.

I got kicked in the back once by a bicyclist when I was in Germany. The idea of a bicycle lane that wasn't on the street was so foreign to me that I'd have never paid attention to why this particular strip of sidewalk was a different color, and I don't think it had any specific markings other than color either. Anyways I was kinda that dickhead once

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I got kicked in the back once by a bicyclist when I was in Germany. The idea of a bicycle lane that wasn't on the street was so foreign to me that I'd have never paid attention to why this particular strip of sidewalk was a different color, and I don't think it had any specific markings other than color either. Anyways I was kinda that dickhead once

My wife got yelled at for the same reason. It was so foreign to us!

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Howdy y'all. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on some winter gloves. I am commuting about 50 minutes in Chicago, so it gets pretty chilly. I was looking at big 5 finger gloves, mittens, battery powered heated gloves and it's all just become overwhelming. So many options. I thought about bar mitts as well, but they seem pretty expensive.

Actually, does anyone have goggle recommendations as well? Got caught in some snow the other day and my eyeballs took a pounding.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Skiwear is my tip. Ski helmet, ski goggles,ski gloves are all great for winter cycling.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the temp range and wind you expect?

The general answer is the same as for other garments. Base layer, then add/replace as you need.

I live in scandinavia and use MTB gloves p much year round for commuting, switch to lined leather/windstopper gloves when it get to around freezing, and big old mittens when it's colder, but you could just get hardshell overmittens for your medium weather gloves.

Bar mitts also work great, you just need basic gloves under them.

Think about your grips too, thicker/foamie grips make a difference to how much heat you lose into your bars.

Invalido posted:

Skiwear is my tip. Ski helmet, ski goggles,ski gloves are all great for winter cycling.
fo sho

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 21, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I literally can't cycle in below freezing temps without bar mitts. They seem expensive at first but they extend your season by months.

If you don't want to shell out big bux for the big brands like 45nrth or Revelate look on Amazon, there are cheaper options there.

https://www.amazon.ca/ROCK-BROS-Handlebar-Windproof-Mountain/dp/B08MTBCPPJ/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=handlebar+mitts&qid=1637510755&sr=8-8

What you want to avoid is a knockoff like this that's designed to kill you.

https://amazon.ca/Lixada-Handlebar-...17&sr=8-26&th=1

The cuff needs to be wide enough you can get your hand in and out easily.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I like Bar Mitts. They have both a drop bar and flat bar version. I've just ordered BikeIowa pogie lites, but they are behind on orders since Path less Pedaled reviewed them.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Invalido posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the best way to go. Should I just find something at REI that I like? Not sure if there's a brand that I should be looking for or avoiding specifically...

EvilJoven posted:

I literally can't cycle in below freezing temps without bar mitts. They seem expensive at first but they extend your season by months.

Yeah maybe I should just spend the money and not worry about it...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SamsCola posted:

I thought about bar mitts as well, but they seem pretty expensive.

Windproof bar mitts let you wear much thinner gloves, which I prefer for feel on the controls. Above 35F, I just go bare handed in the mitts.

You could try them out by making some from paper bags and packing tape, which is what most of the BYC ebike delivery people seem to use. The knockoffs don't seem that expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/BNVB-Handlebar-Rainproof-Windproof-Motorcycling/dp/B0833S6KVP/

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SamsCola posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the best way to go. Should I just find something at REI that I like? Not sure if there's a brand that I should be looking for or avoiding specifically...

Yeah maybe I should just spend the money and not worry about it...

I don't know what REI is but go someplace cheap and get some ski gear (which can get super expensive if you go someplace fancy). Once you know what you like/really want you can get those €200 gloves or whatever. Anything meant for alpine skiing will keep your hands warm most likely, at least for a few seasons before the insulation gets all compressed and much colder than when it was new. Or you could go the bar mitts route as suggested by others. As for goggles I commute mostly in darkness this time of year and I want clear lenses which is really hard to find compared to the various tints which are everywhere. I ended up ordering my current clear pair on amazon. Get something with double layer lenses as they don't mist up nearly as bad as single layered ones.
A nice thing with ski helmets (apart from keeping your ears warm without messing with hats) is that they all accept goggles perfectly (strap on the back for the elastic band, face opening where the goggles fit nicely) . I never ride without eyepro - there are no bugs in the winter but my eyes tear up from cold wind something fierce. Also snow, like you already discovered.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The biggest thing with pogies for me is the massive air gap. I have Reynaud's. It really loving sucks when my hands are too cold (it's actually worse as they start warming up again, like 'I think I might scream' worse). When they warm up though they sweat. Eventually sweat will soak your glove and then it doesn't insulate and you're hosed unless you have another pair. With a pogie IDGAF if my hands get sweaty, there's always going to be an air gap.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Invalido posted:

I don't know what REI is but go someplace cheap and get some ski gear (which can get super expensive if you go someplace fancy). Once you know what you like/really want you can get those €200 gloves or whatever. Anything meant for alpine skiing will keep your hands warm most likely, at least for a few seasons before the insulation gets all compressed and much colder than when it was new. Or you could go the bar mitts route as suggested by others. As for goggles I commute mostly in darkness this time of year and I want clear lenses which is really hard to find compared to the various tints which are everywhere. I ended up ordering my current clear pair on amazon. Get something with double layer lenses as they don't mist up nearly as bad as single layered ones.
A nice thing with ski helmets (apart from keeping your ears warm without messing with hats) is that they all accept goggles perfectly (strap on the back for the elastic band, face opening where the goggles fit nicely) . I never ride without eyepro - there are no bugs in the winter but my eyes tear up from cold wind something fierce. Also snow, like you already discovered.

REI is a store that sells sporting goods and camping equipment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REI

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

EvilJoven posted:

The biggest thing with pogies for me is the massive air gap. I have Reynaud's. It really loving sucks when my hands are too cold (it's actually worse as they start warming up again, like 'I think I might scream' worse). When they warm up though they sweat. Eventually sweat will soak your glove and then it doesn't insulate and you're hosed unless you have another pair. With a pogie IDGAF if my hands get sweaty, there's always going to be an air gap.

Yep. And for the same reason, if it's cold and wet, bar mitts are the way to go. (Most "waterproof" gloves actually aren't.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

deong posted:

I've just ordered BikeIowa pogie lites, but they are behind on orders since Path less Pedaled reviewed them.
These look ace.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Cutting the wind makes such a difference in freezing temps, more so than insulation. I made a set out of some spare rip-stop which I'll run on the commute when it's 20f.

Bonus winter visibility too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Those of you who ride with bar mitts, do you have any good solutions for the bell?
I'd like to try bar mitts now that I have a commuter bike that's parked indoors, but I need a signalling device. Preferably I'd like something that sounds unmistakeably like a bicycle. Electrical horns are well and good in some situations but they scare or confuse pedestrians and I want something that rings.

This is the only cable actuated acoustic bell I can find. It's turned by the tire and has a sustained ringing from the rotation. I've seen one IRL and it was persistent and annoying but according to the reviews they're poor quality and I can't imagine it works well or lasts long in winter slush:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kazoo attachment on your helmet imo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Invalido posted:

Those of you who ride with bar mitts, do you have any good solutions for the bell?

I managed to find a spot where the bell could still ring. Muffled, but still audible from the outside.
Might be harder if you have a bigger bell, but the Spurcycle is quite compact. There's other designs that are pretty compact, too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kimbo305 posted:

I managed to find a spot where the bell could still ring. Muffled, but still audible from the outside.
Might be harder if you have a bigger bell, but the Spurcycle is quite compact. There's other designs that are pretty compact, too.

Muffled is no good. In this age of headphones I want as loud a bell as I can get. I've started thinking about building some kind of remote acoustic bell setup, either mechanical or electric. Since this is an e-bike electric actuation makes a lot of sense and would open up some interesting possibilities. Dual mode with either a polite "bing" or autofire super annoying mode actuated at will from microswitches on the brake levers or something, idunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mount a dropper lever on the left bar, route the cable to a bell outside the pogie. BING BONG

e: use a clamp-on cable stop, obvsly

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 22, 2021