Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

oliveoil posted:

King of the Hill background is the most powerful move imo

Finally something we can agree on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

sim posted:

My partner did https://www.freecodecamp.org/ and really liked it.

Also endorsing Freecodecamp, I'm not crazy into front end but the javascript data structures and algorithms course was a great foundation that made my subsequent self learning efforts a lot easier

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Just struggled through a Java Data Structures I course that I just didn't gel with the teaching style. I take the II class next semester and would like to firm up my understanding.

Does anyone have recommendation on a course or series that will help with programming from scratch array lists, linked lists, heaps, and stacks? My main issue was going from a single OOP course in Python, to an advanced Java course, so most of my time was spent relearning OOP concepts + Java syntax and methods.

e. asking here since the class was essentially based on interview problems

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 22, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The thing that helped me the most with data structures was finding good pseudocode and implementing it. Try doing all of the data structures in Python, then coming back to them in Java. This will show you when the problem is the language instead of the data structure

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

cum jabbar posted:

The thing that helped me the most with data structures was finding good pseudocode and implementing it. Try doing all of the data structures in Python, then coming back to them in Java. This will show you when the problem is the language instead of the data structure

This is good advice, but I'd start by actually writing the pseudocode myself, then revising as I implemented until I had good pseudocode. Also, make sure your code has unit tests to make sure you're capturing all the edge cases.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If you understand the concepts but are having difficulty implementing them: just doing a lot of Java programming. Don’t copy/paste. Get it into your fingers.

If you’re finding the concepts themselves difficult: I like to buy cheap yellow legal pads and just draw everything out, perform an operation, and draw it again. Data structures are very visual, and I understand them much better that way.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I *think* I might have a job? I had an interview a buddy got me, guy was apparently ready to take me on just from his recommendation/dual bootcamp completion on the understanding that he was going to have to teach me C# so long as I was a good fit for the team. Unless he looked at it later on linkedIn he hasn't even seen my resume. Team liked me, he liked me, but he told me that I would hear back from him anywhere between a few days after the interview to late dec as my hiring would be contingent on getting the consulting contract for next fiscal year signed. I think I'm going to message him after Thanksgiving and see where he's at and hopefully at least get a "yes I'm going to hire you, just waiting on this contract" or a "please stop bothering me we're not interested".

Edit: After he interviewed me he had the team chat with/interview me for a bit, during which time he had to leave to I believe get someone from the airport, so I haven't had a chance to really solidify anything we've talked about.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I learned anything from tech interviews, it's companies take a while to get back to you. Doesn't hurt to follow up, but don't be surprised if you don't hear back for a bit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Follow up by you after 5-7 days is totally ok and normal

Programmer managers are typically just programmers that their boss trust more than the other guys and don't have any kind of hiring/time management/actual management skills, so your hiring/onboarding will be glacially slow, this is "normal", welcome to tech hiring

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Romes128 posted:

I'm pretty much still learning a bunch of new stuff when it comes to JS, even after graduating.

This never ends. *Ever*.

I've been using python since the 1990s when it was still a mostly unknown language that just happened to have a really neat library for driving RS232 ports , which made it ideal for throwing together quick and nasty test harnesses for the hardware we where building.

I'm STILL learning new things. Especially now that its exploded (I still marvel at people treating python as if its a new language when its probably the second oldest language in the TIOBE top ten, if you exclude SQL), I still come across new ideas that I havent encountered before, and always with the unendingly relentless release of new hot-poo poo libraries, or updates of older ones. And python isn't nearly as bad for "fad package of the week" or "fad pattern/technique of the week" (reactive/functional/etc ) as something like Javascript is, due to pythons more elderly software ecosystem.

You'll still be learning new poo poo 20 years from now. Get used to it, it sort of sucks after a while. But this is the profession we chose, and thats the price.

The upside is as long as you master perhaps two of the modern frameworks (I'd suggest React and Angular, React if you can only learn one of those) and you'll still be in the running for the jobs that want other frameworks because the concepts tend to be the same and you've proven you can understand them. Yes there might be people applying with the specific skill, but most employers worth poo poo aren't so worried about that, since even highly experienced guys like me spend a lot of time on google looking poo poo up anyway.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 23, 2021

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
also everything evolves towards more javascript

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Hadlock posted:

Follow up by you after 5-7 days is totally ok and normal

Programmer managers are typically just programmers that their boss trust more than the other guys and don't have any kind of hiring/time management/actual management skills, so your hiring/onboarding will be glacially slow, this is "normal", welcome to tech hiring

It was specifically "anywhere between next week (this last week) and late Dec", so I'm not worried about that. Talked to my buddy, looks like he's interviewed 7 people for 5 positions. We'll see. I've seen worse odds, but I've also lost on better ones so ....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

redleader posted:

also everything evolves towards more javascript

Carcinisation of software development?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
It is like a cancer yes

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

duck monster posted:

This never ends. *Ever*.

I've been using python since the 1990s when it was still a mostly unknown language that just happened to have a really neat library for driving RS232 ports , which made it ideal for throwing together quick and nasty test harnesses for the hardware we where building.

I'm STILL learning new things. Especially now that its exploded (I still marvel at people treating python as if its a new language when its probably the second oldest language in the TIOBE top ten, if you exclude SQL), I still come across new ideas that I havent encountered before, and always with the unendingly relentless release of new hot-poo poo libraries, or updates of older ones. And python isn't nearly as bad for "fad package of the week" or "fad pattern/technique of the week" (reactive/functional/etc ) as something like Javascript is, due to pythons more elderly software ecosystem.

You'll still be learning new poo poo 20 years from now. Get used to it, it sort of sucks after a while. But this is the profession we chose, and thats the price.

Can't second this hard enough. I'll add that consciously realizing this fact helps combat imposter syndrome: don't feel like you're a fraud just because you learned about a whole facet of a language or a design pattern that you didn't know existed before.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Udemy appears to be selling a lot of their courses right now for $10. I’ve been mulling over the idea of trying to go a bit harder in the paint on fundamentals (algos, data structures, etc), but the course descriptions for those sorts of courses almost make it sound like they’re just selling a collection of Leet Code questions. Does anyone happen to have an idea as to whether or not I should bother with something like this? My alternative plan was to pick up a bootcamp class on like web dev or machine learning if not something so “core CS.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve had good luck with Udemy. The popular courses are made by people who care about being clear and providing a good progression. But the actual content is no better than what I could have found by watching a dozen different YouTube videos and doing a bit of reading. I just learn better with a bit of structure.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Udemy appears to be selling a lot of their courses right now for $10. I’ve been mulling over the idea of trying to go a bit harder in the paint on fundamentals (algos, data structures, etc), but the course descriptions for those sorts of courses almost make it sound like they’re just selling a collection of Leet Code questions. Does anyone happen to have an idea as to whether or not I should bother with something like this? My alternative plan was to pick up a bootcamp class on like web dev or machine learning if not something so “core CS.”

https://jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
So I'd consider myself probably intermediate JavaScript (Node.js, starting learning Svelte, have basic NextJS and React knowledge), basic PHP and I know HTML, CSS like the back of my hand. But I never know when I'm ready to enter the world of doing this legitimately. I've been mostly freelancing in the world of WordPress and every once in a while doing stuff in NodeJS. I guess my question is, where do I learn the final stuff I need to get a real job? When do I know I'm ready?

I don't know anything about Algorithms so I'm glad you posted that book. I think that'll be my next project.

Thanks!

E; Oh, I haven't put together a portfolio yet but I probably should. I think alot of them are lame though (no offense) especially when it's like "Meet Dave!" And it's a big picture of Dave looking like a dweeb.

aperfectcirclefan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

So I'd consider myself probably intermediate JavaScript (Node.js, starting learning Svelte, have basic NextJS and React knowledge), basic PHP and I know HTML, CSS like the back of my hand. But I never know when I'm ready to enter the world of doing this legitimately. I've been mostly freelancing in the world of WordPress and every once in a while doing stuff in NodeJS. I guess my question is, where do I learn the final stuff I need to get a real job? When do I know I'm ready?

I don't know anything about Algorithms so I'm glad you posted that book. I think that'll be my next project.

Thanks!

E; Oh, I haven't put together a portfolio yet but I probably should. I think alot of them are lame though (no offense) especially when it's like "Meet Dave!" And it's a big picture of Dave looking like a dweeb.

That's a more advanced book, I think he gives links to more elementary resources though.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I don’t do web stuff, but get some algorithms and data structure knowledge in there, and that sounds like a solid base for doing it for realsies to me.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'll do that then. Any advice on data structure books?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Should you mention in a interview that you're talking to a couple of other employers also?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Should you mention in a interview that you're talking to a couple of other employers also?

Yes, don't give details unless specifically relevant. It helps you and as an employer I like to know where someone is in their job search and it helps me get an offer together.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Okay thanks. I have a interview for a half coding half marketing job today that I don't really want that bad, but don't want to rule it out. I have two other interviews this week for more coding orientated jobs that pay much better. I guess if they want to make a offer or something I should jsut say "Thank you! I currently have a few other interviews scheduled and i'd like to talk to them first before making a decision."? Would that work?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Okay thanks. I have a interview for a half coding half marketing job today that I don't really want that bad, but don't want to rule it out. I have two other interviews this week for more coding orientated jobs that pay much better. I guess if they want to make a offer or something I should jsut say "Thank you! I currently have a few other interviews scheduled and i'd like to talk to them first before making a decision."? Would that work?

That should be fine. Check out the negotiation thread in BFC as well if you haven't.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Thanks again. Yesterdays interview went well; they want me to start off part time as like a trial period. Dunno how I feel about that.

Today's interview went really well; to the point that the owner of the company scheduled me a follow up interview with the senior programmers right away. Now to have a panic attack for two weeks as I cram some PHP development in!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Thanks again. Yesterdays interview went well; they want me to start off part time as like a trial period. Dunno how I feel about that.

That's super red flaggy.

Some sort of probationary period isn't uncommon but starting part time is almost certainly then trying to underpay you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Why don't they just call it an internship?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
That's true. It's a smaller firm so thats what I was equating it too. They said they put all their employees on a trial session before offering them something. To me that just seems kinda ...odd.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hard pass unless you can't pay rent next month

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
They sent that part time offer, I replied back asking if I can have some time to consider especially since i'd be essentially trading a career in development for technical marketing. Hopefully I didn't blow it if this second interview doesn't work out with the other company!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

They sent that part time offer, I replied back asking if I can have some time to consider especially since i'd be essentially trading a career in development for technical marketing. Hopefully I didn't blow it if this second interview doesn't work out with the other company!

I've never heard of a company withdrawing an offer because a candidate wanted some time to consider it - if that ever happened the candidate should let out a huge sigh of relief because they just dodged a bullet in a big way. You should expect that any company serious about hiring will let you take the time you need to consider their offer and finish up interviews with other companies (and they shouldn't have a problem with you interviewing elsewhere either). If they don't meet that absurdly basic expectation then that's also a huge red flag that would probably cause me to walk away (again, if you're not facing imminent eviction).

I'm also an oldie who doesn't need to put up with ANY bullshit from an interviewing company whatsoever, so take this with a grain of salt. For a first gig, I typically advise some level of compromise, but this company is doing things strangely enough that I'm side-eyeing it pretty hard. The normal way to do something like this is to hire for interns: the job postings have the word INTERN in them and everyone starts the process with their eyes open. You don't bait and switch with a full time permanent position and then tell the candidate, "thanks for taking probably multiple hours out of your day to go through the interview process, but the position you thought you were interviewing for doesn't exist and won't until someone makes it through the totally-not-an-internship that we've created on our own, aren't we clever." There's a decent chance this is just some HR-driven nonsense and the rest of the company operates in a relatively normal fashion and you won't have any problems if you do take it, but I agree with Lockback that it's probably a mechanism to underpay you.

There are reasons to take an offer like this: financial desperation is totally valid, for example. But if you're doing okay financially and are just worried that you need something on your resume to prove that you can do this "for real," then keep in mind that one company is already making you an offer. Somebody already thinks you're ready. Someone else is going to feel the same way, and they're a lot more likely to make you a more normal offer.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Thank you for that post; it actually was a pretty big boost to my confidence.

I did tell them and they were cool and they suggest I do some contract work for them in the interim, which im cool with. I'm hoping this other job pans out and I get it. I really got along with the CEO in the interview and it's actually a development role (even though its wordpress...). I've spent the past week cramming and updating myself on PHP and such.

I don't think that other job was trying to bait and switch. It seems to be a team of like 3 people and they're just very territorial over any new hire fits I guess. I dunno, its very odd, because in the same e-mail they sent financial details over if i was to come on full time.

I'm close to financial desperation because my current job / person I contract with writes checks like once a month and its fukkin frustrating. Plus I work with very small businesses so i'm constantly getting e-mails and texts on the weekends and at nights to help them solve something of which i'm not allowed to bill for, so i'd be happy to not have to deal with that anymore.

Oh well. I'll keep this thread updated. Thanks for all the help. I wish I knew more about algorithms and crap so I could apply for the real jobs!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I’m in week 14 of 24 for my bootcamp and—gently caress yes, gently caress YES. My group presented our full-stack project today and we CRUSHED IT. I’m really proud of all the work we did. It was a super ambitious project. Zoom chat was blowing up during our presentation and we got lots of questions afterwards cf some groups got little to no engagement from the audience. :chord:

I feel really great about it and am really thrilled to have this project in my portfolio.

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

durrneez posted:

I’m in week 14 of 24 for my bootcamp and—gently caress yes, gently caress YES. My group presented our full-stack project today and we CRUSHED IT. I’m really proud of all the work we did. It was a super ambitious project. Zoom chat was blowing up during our presentation and we got lots of questions afterwards cf some groups got little to no engagement from the audience. :chord:

I feel really great about it and am really thrilled to have this project in my portfolio.

Congrats! Working on projects and presenting them was my favorite part of my bootcamp too. It feels awesome finally just really making your own things rather than following tutorials.

Would anyone mind taking a look at my portfolio ? I just finished polishing up my projects and want to start sending out applications for web dev jobs. But first it'd be nice to have a few more people critique it, and I don't know many people in the tech world other than my bootcamp's staff. I tried to keep the amount of text on there to a minimum, because I imagine most recruiters don't want to spend much time reading, but it's hard to know if it's too little or not.

Also, is it worth it to pay for Heroku dynos that don't sleep for each of my projects, at least while job searching? I think the free ones go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity. I'm picturing a recruiter trying to open one of them, having to wait more than a few seconds, and then closing it and assuming it was a dead link.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

first move tengen posted:

Would anyone mind taking a look at my portfolio ? I just finished polishing up my projects and want to start sending out appli

Flowertype is weird. I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing, or its not working. This might be a good project to show off your documentation skills.

Teachers pet looks cool but give me a demo account. As an employer I don't want to do a sign in.

Facenook is impressive.

Overall this is a very, very good portfolio for a FE person. When you are ready to look if you are interested in working in a JS fintech world hit me up. A BA in English/Math with a bootcamp and a portfolio like this is basically an ideal candidate.

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

Lockback posted:

Flowertype is weird. I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing, or its not working. This might be a good project to show off your documentation skills.

Teachers pet looks cool but give me a demo account. As an employer I don't want to do a sign in.

Facenook is impressive.

Overall this is a very, very good portfolio for a FE person. When you are ready to look if you are interested in working in a JS fintech world hit me up. A BA in English/Math with a bootcamp and a portfolio like this is basically an ideal candidate.

Thanks, that feedback was really useful! I've updated Flower Type; I think it makes more sense having a title/tagline on the page. And now one of my team members is going to add a big demo login button to the teacher website.

I'll definitely follow up with you soon! I'm interested to hear more about coding in the fintech world.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I have a question about GitHub. I usually use GitHub for everything, even things I don't finish. These of course show up in my profile. Should I delete or mark as private some of these, or do recruiters like to see that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I have a question about GitHub. I usually use GitHub for everything, even things I don't finish. These of course show up in my profile. Should I delete or mark as private some of these, or do recruiters like to see that stuff?

In general, no one cares or will look at it