Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah that strikes me as the usual obtuse 'but EVERYONE likes chocolate! Here, just TRY it!' poo poo people do, and then it baking folks are a mixed bag - when you spend your free time making poo poo for others, sometimes their reactions can become a bigger deal than they are. So bakers can either be reasonable, OR completely bitter at having their work rejected (when no one asked them to even do it in the first drat place).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

More likely that the baker honestly couldn't believe that someone strongly dislikes chocolate and would not eat even a little under any circumstances. Compounded by being mad over her time and effort being rejected

yeah, some people have weirdly strong feelings about chocolate and get really bent out of shape when other people don't feel the same way

usually it's just in a playful "whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" sort of way, but occasionally you'll see someone get legitimately upset about it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah reading between the lines, 'I guarantee if they try a bite of MY chocolate cake, they'll like chocolate!' is the vibe I'm getting from cake girl

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
my takeaway is that we need to teach people that bodily autonomy extends to more than just sex.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

"They only SAY they don't like chocolate as some kind of diet-related ruse! I will convince them to give in, live a little, and stop worrying so much about their weight that they find it necessary to LIE about CHOCOLATE."

This would also explain why they took the joking accusation of feederism so personally.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for requesting a paternity test after my wife, joked out of the blue, about our child's paternity?

quote:

We've been together 3 years, been married 1 year, and have an infant. Relationship has been the best of my life and relatively smooth throughout - no red flags. Our child is healthy and happy. We're in a pretty great familial situation currently. We are blessed to really have no real stresses or anxieties.

We were at the grocery store and my wife asked me not to purchase something because of potential BPA in the item (a chemical which can leach into food and impact fertility). I joked that I clearly didn't have issues with fertility (since we had a kid as soon as we started trying), and I've been consuming that item regularly. Then she joked, "well maybe our kid's not yours."

It took me a second to really process what she said, but once I did, I got very sad and upset. I initially told her, "don't joke about that," and "why would you say someting like that?" And I stopped talking the rest of the time at the grocery store. But once we got to the car, the idea had built up enough in my head that I told her I'm going to getting a paternity test immediately (I'm shopping on Amazon for one as I write this). She pushed back and started going down a number of defensive vectors, from "why don't you trust me?" to "is your reaction saying something about you I should be worried about?" To which, I replied, heatedly, "I understand the idea is ludicrous, but you suggested it, completely out of the blue, and now it's out there. And there's no way to put this question away ever again except to actually get a test." After a few rounds of this, she acquiesced and left me to go look for a test.

I trust my wife, she's a fantastic person, a successful professional, a great mother, etc. But I had never even fathomed that our child wasn't mine until she made what was, in all likelihood, the worst joke and retort in history. Am I overreacting? AITA?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA for reacting with disgust to my boyfriend sharing an experience he had as a paramedic?

Gross enough to do something like that and also dumb enough to voluntarily tell his girlfriend about it.

This guy really is the complete package. I wonder if he wipes his butt.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Everett False posted:

"They only SAY they don't like chocolate as some kind of diet-related ruse! I will convince them to give in, live a little, and stop worrying so much about their weight that they find it necessary to LIE about CHOCOLATE."

This would also explain why they took the joking accusation of feederism so personally.

it's like the baking equivalent of that dude who thinks he can convert lesbians

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

finding it hard to give a poo poo about the paramedic story

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Funktastic posted:

AITA for requesting a paternity test after my wife, joked out of the blue, about our child's paternity?

Just file the divorce papers now, no matter what the outcome is this marriage is gonna end either way

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for admitting I don’t like my brothers girlfriend?

quote:

My brother (Steve) has been in a relationship with his current girlfriend (Daisy) for around 1 year. In this time I’ve only met her a handful of times. My brother was previously married to a women (Louise) for 10 years and they have 3 kids together.

I met Daisy for the first time in April this year. She seemed friendly at first and we chatted getting to know each other. Second time we went out for a meal and she was unnecessarily rude to the waitress (demanding things and not saying please or thank you). I pulled her up on it and told her to apologise which she did. Then we moved on.

Cut to June, I was sending out my wedding invites and invited Steve & Daisy, but I also invited Steve’s ex wife Louise. I asked Steve if he had any issues with me inviting Louise and he said none at all because they co parent very well and very much still friends. I’ve known Louise for 15 years and just because she’s now divorced my brother, I still very much see her as part of the family.

Couple of weeks went by and I get a message from Daisy (I’ve only met her twice at this point) asking me to uninvite Louise or she wouldn’t come to the wedding. So I just replied “Okay, no problem. It’s your choice not to come to the wedding, but I won’t be uninviting anyone”. Daisy didn’t like this and declined to come.

Skip to the day before the wedding, Louise didn’t come due to covid. So Steve told Daisy and Daisy eventually came. I didn’t care if she was there or not, I didn’t really spend much time with her.

Few weeks after the wedding, my mum organised a girls get together and Daisy was invited too. This is my 4th time meeting her at this point. There was around 10 of us and we were having fun and having a few drinks. Daisy just starts shouting at my for being inconsiderate for inviting Louise to the wedding and not considering her feelings.

I was just honest and said I only met her twice before the wedding and I didn’t really know her (Daisy) and I only invited her because she is my brothers girlfriend. It also doesn’t matter if Louise was invited because it was MY wedding and I could chose who to invite. If I had to chose to invite Louise or her (Daisy) then I would have chosen Louise because she has been apart of my family for a long time.

I didn’t really speak to her since this incident and I saw her yesterday at a family meal. Daisy asked me if I liked her and I said based on my interactions with her that I didn’t like her and didn’t think we could get on, but happy to be civil. I just don’t want a friendship with her.

A few hours after the meal, I got a message from Steve asking why I didn’t like her. I sent him all the messages she sent me, told him about the incident at my mums get together and he said that I should give her a chance because I don’t really know her.

AITA for admitting to her that I don’t like her?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Don't ask questions like that if you only want to hear one answer.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Being bad to service staff is a huge red flag for being a lousy person. She doesn't seem like an easy person to like.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i for one would much rather have someone honestly tell me "i don't think we would enjoy spending time with each other" than play nice to my face amd whinge behind my back. that girl rules.

AITA telling my wife her sister is disgusting for accepting charitable gifts from Hospital?

quote:

*deleted the original post because I didn't want people I know to see.

Okay, the title seems really strange, but please read on because it frustrates me alot.

My SIL is pregnant and about to be due soon. During her recent visit to the hospital, she pretty much mislead the hospital by telling them she and her partner doesn't have much support in the country (her partner earns over 100k a year and she doesn't work) and in doing so, the hospital have now provided her with new baby cots, car seats, baby essentials that would be worth around $2-3k.

Now I (M), got upset telling them that those items are for struggling families / single mums who doesn't have support from their families. That her partner makes above avg salary and can easily afford it. She basically brushed it off like it's nothing, and just said 'the hospital offered to me, I'm not gonna say no'.

The tipping point for me was founding out that the items the hospital have provided her which she didn't like, was getting listed on marketplace to be sold. I told my wife, her sister and her husband are disgusting people who are trying to take advantage of charitable hospitals where it's meant to help those in struggles. Of course my wife is upset at the commentary, and I feel like I might overstep. So reddit, please let me know if I am the AITA?

*Edit: just thought it will be better to post an update then replying to everyone. First and foremost, the partner makes over 100k with no debt. So they can live comfortably. Mislead the hospital by implying she doesn't have any support and doesn't earn an income. SIL doesn't work, but no mention of her partners income to the hospital. I have sat down with my partner and explain the rational behind it without making any commentary, so she is seeing my point of view. So she'll speak to her sister and tell her to give the items back, even those they didn't needed in the first place.

Thanks you reddit for easing my mind thinking I might have been wrong.

my absolute favorite stories are the ones where you read the title, immediately go "YTA", and the story makes you change your mind.

also: death by guillotine.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Lobe posted:

Being bad to service staff is a huge red flag for being a lousy person. She doesn't seem like an easy person to like.

Yeah it sounds to me sorta like the OP is a bit down on the new girlfriend from the start, because asking someone to apologize to waitstaff is just a weird happening. Even weirder if the rude girlfriend apparently admits to being a jerk and apologizes, if you’re really being a jerk just reversing course like that is a thing that *might* happen when meeting new family or in another high pressure situation, but it’s still just really unlikely for an actual rear end in a top hat to own up to it.

That could be the girlfriend being a huge pain in the rear end, bad enough to get called out, or the OP trying to find things to poo poo on and insisting on apologies over non-issues.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

ponzicar posted:

Are paramedics even allowed to pronounce the time of death?

A decade ago I was a paramedic (in California).

We were allowed to declare death the purpose of which provides the legal basis for not providing medical care: "This person is dead, therefore we will not be providing medical intervention".

The criteria for declaring death was pretty narrow: decapitation, total exsanguination, organ separation, total incineration, rigor mortis, asystole (flatline) in all leads + no respiration + cold to the touch (most common), decomposition (this one is tricky, diabetic comas + gangrene in a limb can look like a person who has been dead for awhile).

A physician can pronounce death, and they have their own criteria and it comes with a time of death.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not even eating a spoonful of this woman's cake?

Does OP comment if Benji is fat or not?

Funktastic posted:

Definitely the worst joke in the history of human language, lol.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

compshateme85 posted:

A decade ago I was a paramedic (in California).

We were allowed to declare death the purpose of which provides the legal basis for not providing medical care: "This person is dead, therefore we will not be providing medical intervention".

The criteria for declaring death was pretty narrow: decapitation, total exsanguination, organ separation, total incineration, rigor mortis, asystole (flatline) in all leads + no respiration + cold to the touch (most common), decomposition (this one is tricky, diabetic comas + gangrene in a limb can look like a person who has been dead for awhile).

...did you see a lot of vampires in California? I mean I guess Sunnydale and the Hellmouth is over there?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

We just use the term "injuries incompatible with life" which is a fun phrase to think about.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA telling my wife her sister is disgusting for accepting charitable gifts from Hospital?

this is one of those stories you hope isn't true if only so that you don't have to think about someone so cartoonishly evil actually being out there

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah reading between the lines, 'I guarantee if they try a bite of MY chocolate cake, they'll like chocolate!' is the vibe I'm getting from cake girl

People get like that with cheese* with me and lol, “oh a little won’t hurt you”. I am lactose intolerant, it’s going to hurt me, and it will hurt you as well if I lock you in the bathroom with me later on.

*it is literally always with cheese. Other dairy products people are whatever but cheese makes people weirdly aggressive if you don’t like it/can’t really have it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

finding it hard to give a poo poo about the paramedic story

Yeah I could easily hear something like that coming from a few EMTs I've known and nobody really blinking. That's a dumb joke by any standard but lol if you're shocked that the people who handle dead bodies and have "emergency" right there in the job title tend to have a ruder sense of humor than would fly around the office Keurig

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

ranbo das posted:

We just use the term "injuries incompatible with life" which is a fun phrase to think about.

It's up there with "life-changing injuries" for me for medical phrases that are extremely vague but also instantly and horribly comprehensible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

teen witch posted:

People get like that with cheese* with me and lol, “oh a little won’t hurt you”. I am lactose intolerant, it’s going to hurt me, and it will hurt you as well if I lock you in the bathroom with me later on.

*it is literally always with cheese. Other dairy products people are whatever but cheese makes people weirdly aggressive if you don’t like it/can’t really have it.

People cannot comprehend that after an entire lifetime of being lactose intolerant I learned to recognize and dislike the taste of milk. And that I really do not want to train my taste buds out of that.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Yeah I could easily hear something like that coming from a few EMTs I've known and nobody really blinking. That's a dumb joke by any standard but lol if you're shocked that the people who handle dead bodies and have "emergency" right there in the job title tend to have a ruder sense of humor than would fly around the office Keurig

it's not a "dumb joke", it's violating the body of a woman who has lost her life. she didn't consent to her corpse being manhandled and ogled by creeps. how do you think the family would feel if they heard about it?

i mean, christ, the loving cops in the story recognized that it was hosed up. if you find yourself wrong in a situation where cops got it right, rethink your entire-rear end life.

teen witch posted:

they're trying to fascinate you

c'mon, what kind of witch doesn't know this

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Funktastic posted:

I think my wife and I joke about this on a weekly basis with our kids. The difference is I trust my wife enough and she trusts me enough that we don't even need to question it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Sorry about my joke about wanting to gently caress the dead girl. I'm just an EMT were so quirky you know.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hey buddy, mind turning that corpse over so I can add it to my spank bank?

haha, just a little gallows humor here, lighten up fellas

but no seriously, lemme see dat sexy corpse rear end, as a joke

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the point where you should rethink your entire-rear end life is when you end up hauling peoples' dead naked asses out of the shower five times a week, not when you decline to be a professional mourner for someone who didn't even have the basic courtesy to get a heart attack with their clothes on somewhere with unobstructed road access. It's one of the grossest jobs there is, you don't stay in it if seeing and touching and doing incredibly gross stuff bothers you.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

the point where you should rethink your entire-rear end life is when you end up hauling peoples' dead naked asses out of the shower five times a week, not when you decline to be a professional mourner for someone who didn't even have the basic courtesy to get a heart attack with their clothes on somewhere with unobstructed road access. It's one of the grossest jobs there is, you don't stay in it if seeing and touching and doing incredibly gross stuff bothers you.

again: "sexually assaulting a corpse"≠"not being a professional mourner"

what the gently caress is wrong with you that you don't understand this

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for accepting a free drink from a stranger while on a first date?

quote:

I have no idea if I'm in the wrong here.

So, I was texting back and forth with a guy for about a week that I met at a football game. We had seats next to each other struck up conversation and exchanged numbers. Seemed pretty normal in texts and definitely looking for a relationship. I was honest I was up in the air for anything hahaha not that I didn't want a relationship but I'm not actively seeking one?

So boom, he invites me out to dinner at a nice bar and I was going out with my friends later that night so I figured it would be a cool pre-game before I met up with my friends. Things are going pretty okay and we just grab some wings to share and charcuterie board along with a bottle of wine. When the waitress comes back she has all the appetizers, the wine, and a shot.

My date tells her we didn't order the shot. And, she points over to a guy sitting at the bar and says he sent that over for me. My date then tells the waitress that we didn't need it and that he appreciated the offer though. I'm not one to waste free alcohol and I tell her that's fine she can leave it.

I was sitting facing the bar and just as the waitress leaves I'm grabbing the shot and the guy who sent me the drink turns around and gives me an across the room cheers motion with his drink. I do the same and I'm about to take the shot and my date is like "are you really going to accept a drink from another guy while we are on a date?" I tell him it's just a drink and it's not a huge deal and I don't even know that guy. Then, I take the shot and try to keep talking.

He's not eating and barely interacting then he just gets up and heads over to the bar. He goes up there closes out the bill and walks out the door. Totally leaving me there.

I tried to text him the next day and he basically said I disregarded his feelings and that I was a bit of an rear end in a top hat the way I brushed off what he was saying and taking that shot was like a slap in the face. I really don't think I'm in the wrong. I didn't flirt with the guy and he wasn't an ex. I don't even know the bar stranger. If my date didn't make a huge deal about it we could've enjoyed the rest of the night.

So, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pendragon posted:

I think my wife and I joke about this on a weekly basis with our kids. The difference is I trust my wife enough and she trusts me enough that we don't even need to question it.

I'm sure you mean that you say "Wow, honey, I don't think this kid is mine", but telling your wife "Wow, honey, I don't think this kids is yours" would be pretty funny.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
look, I'm only going to tell you this once. if you can't handle being an actual literal necrophiliac you might as well just quit now and find something else to do. take trade classes, go get your CDL, anything but this. it's not a job for people that don't want to get their hands dirty and it's not a job for people that don't want to gently caress corpses.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's wrong with me is that I've actually seen the job and have described the culture within the field? You can cry online about hearing some stories or you can be the change you wanna see in the world and devote your life to extracting hundreds of pounds of rotting flesh, some of it still moving and cursing, from the middle of hoarder houses so the position is taken when some edgelord who makes necrophilia jokes tries to do it. Makes no difference to me I'm not dealing with that poo poo again except as a customer.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm slowly tryyna wean myself off of dairy, but good lord when i started looking more closely at labels a decade ago I realised I'm going to have to get a bit creative, otoh, barista oatley is p. nice.

Chloe Jessica posted:

it's not a "dumb joke", it's violating the body of a woman who has lost her life. she didn't consent to her corpse being manhandled and ogled by creeps. how do you think the family would feel if they heard about it?

i mean, christ, the loving cops in the story recognized that it was hosed up. if you find yourself wrong in a situation where cops got it right, rethink your entire-rear end life.
-snip-

If your job involves dealing with corpses to that extent, you tend to develop a sense of "humour" to match it.
if you think thats distasteful; you are welcome to become an emt, coroner or morturary assistant and become the change you wish to see.
failing that, watch Okuribito (Departures) by Yōjirō Takita.

E: Goddamn you Goatse, word for word.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 22, 2021

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
lmao "you're not allowed to get mad at sexual assault unless you yourself are willing to put a stop to it" gently caress off

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

staberind posted:

I'm slowly tryyna wean myself off of dairy, but good lord when i started looking more closely at labels a decade ago I realised I'm going to have to get a bit creative, otoh, barista oatley is p. nice.

If your job involves dealing with corpses to that extent, you tend to develop a sense of "humour" to match it.
if you think thats distasteful; you are welcome to become an emt, coroner or morturary assistant and become the change you wish to see.
failing that, watch Okuribito (Departures) by Yōjirō Takita.

Ah yes, it's very humorous to ogle a dead woman and talk about her rear end

it's also extremely humorous to talk about whether or not a dead woman's pubic area is shaved, and/or bet on it. Just some LOLs with the boys, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

what's wrong with me is that I've actually seen the job and have described the culture within the field? You can cry online about hearing some stories or you can be the change you wanna see in the world and devote your life to extracting hundreds of pounds of rotting flesh, some of it still moving and cursing, from the middle of hoarder houses so the position is taken when some edgelord who makes necrophilia jokes tries to do it. Makes no difference to me I'm not dealing with that poo poo again except as a customer.

This post is extremely stupid

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

me, in training to work at a mortuary

look i mean im only here because im a kill bill fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Listen you're not allowed to be grossed out by a necrophiliac unless you make a huge career change in order to satisfy me, a very normal internet stranger