Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hatty posted:

The Water Temple is fine never understood the hate

Very easy to get lost in and run around in circles. Also the pause menu stuff for the iron boots. Very annoying at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The REAL Goobusters posted:

My switch also makes fan noises sometimes. Launch model

The thing is, sometimes I do notice the inner workings making a bit of noise, but it's like very faint. That said I'm starting to wonder if it's related to docking because I now realize every time it happenned was after I played the Switch docked then took it out, and after that noise happens it stopped and I played without problems. Maybe it's just the Switch not properly switching back to handheld so the fans overclock like it's docked or smth?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How can link carry iron boots but not have it affect his buoyancy when not wearing them

if they're upside-down the air pocket can't escape.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my fan is also loud for a bit when i switch from docked to handheld but i don't think it's a problem, i'm pretty sure it's just letting the processor cool down from running in high clock mode. after a minute or two it goes back to normal. my switch has never "rumbled" in the dock or otherwise though, that sounds bad

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mister Facetious posted:

if they're upside-down the air pocket can't escape.

How does he get the air pocket back if he takes the boots off underwater

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Weedle posted:

my fan is also loud for a bit when i switch from docked to handheld but i don't think it's a problem, i'm pretty sure it's just letting the processor cool down from running in high clock mode. after a minute or two it goes back to normal. my switch has never "rumbled" in the dock or otherwise though, that sounds bad

Oh it didn't rumble in the dock. What I mean is I picked it up handheld and the fan started loud and suddenly I did notice vibration on the joy-cons, but as I said it stopped. Normally I just played handheld but wanted to see the game in better resolution since I had the TV free.+

I guess I'll just try to see if it was just the processor cooling down or an actual problem, it's probably the first but I have serious paranoia and fatalism problems, my posts last summer when my Switch hard-shut down prove it (I just had to soft reset the console)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zoran posted:

Farore's Wind :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zoran posted:

Massive fart bubbles caused by Link's poor diet.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if i recall correctly his diet consists 100% of potions and fairies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He also drinks a lot of milk

So yeah, fart city. Gorons out there thinking mount doom is erupting. Zora all calling him Jacuzzi behind his back. He ain't get a fairy until he was 12 cause they kept succumbing to the fumes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

By BOTW Link has learned about fiber and switched his diet to primarly Cooked Wood

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

My switch also makes fan noises sometimes. Launch model

Same here. Never caused an issue.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh it didn't rumble in the dock. What I mean is I picked it up handheld and the fan started loud and suddenly I did notice vibration on the joy-cons, but as I said it stopped. Normally I just played handheld but wanted to see the game in better resolution since I had the TV free.+

I guess I'll just try to see if it was just the processor cooling down or an actual problem, it's probably the first but I have serious paranoia and fatalism problems, my posts last summer when my Switch hard-shut down prove it (I just had to soft reset the console)
Again, it sounds like your fan had bad bearings.

The fan itself will turn on once the processor reaches a target temperature and turn off again when it cools below that. So your description of when the fan turns on is consistent with how the fan works, however how the fan works including loudness and vibration suggests the fan isn't working properly.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

KOTOR is hilariously simple by modern standards but still quite good. This is a good port.

I love how dumb and basic the alignment system is.

"You saved my life! I don't have much but I'd like you to have this!"

- I can't take anything of yours. In fact take 500 credits (light side)
- Thank you very much. Stay safe. (Neutral)
- This isn't nearly enough! I'll kill you myself!!!!! (Dark side)

I tried replaying KOTOR on PC a few years ago and what turned me off was the godawful inventory system and the D20 combat system.

For the combat system I forgot how worthless non-melee characters are. Also the insane difficulty spikes. You and your crew can clear out most enemies pretty easily then all of a sudden you get ambushed by dark Jedi who can freeze your party and wipe you out with no chance to counter.

The story is still pretty good by Star Wars standards but, imo, the game just has not aged well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I tried replaying KOTOR on PC a few years ago and what turned me off was the godawful inventory system and the D20 combat system.

For the combat system I forgot how worthless non-melee characters are. Also the insane difficulty spikes. You and your crew can clear out most enemies pretty easily then all of a sudden you get ambushed by dark Jedi who can freeze your party and wipe you out with no chance to counter.

The story is still pretty good by Star Wars standards but, imo, the game just has not aged well.

Third Edition was in fact, a bad system

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Very easy to get lost in and run around in circles. Also the pause menu stuff for the iron boots. Very annoying at the time

the boot stuff is tedious but the layout is fine. use your map!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, I beat SMTV and it's a dang solid game. My biggest beef is that it doesn't let you select hard difficulty after you've started the game; once I got a handle on the mechanics around the mid-game and unlocked Idun, the game suddenly turned very easy and none of the story bosses were a challenge.

I'll probably replay it some day on hard and get the DLC superboss stuff at that time. Should be a good time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Supposedly Mass Effect morality is supposed to be about choosing how far you will go to save the galaxy, but it still feels more like you can just be a bastard a lot.

But they tried to tone it back I guess.

The idea was fine, instead of good and evil alignments, Shepard is always a hero, but either a calm compromising one or an angry categorical one. But they also wanted you to have options to be racist, authoritarian or a plain ol' jerk, and those all got filed into the "angry" alignment.

The correct way to play is to pick all the renegade options except the ones that are racist or mean to your friends. Be the universe's angriest woman but not a jerk, because the universe will go out of its way to test your patience regardless.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What's the general consensus on the binbok joycons ITT? I saw they have Animal Crossing colored ones now, and I'm considering those but am wondering if I'd be better off just getting the split pad pro.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

teagone posted:

What's the general consensus on the binbok joycons ITT? I saw they have Animal Crossing colored ones now, and I'm considering those but am wondering if I'd be better off just getting the split pad pro.

I have both. I find myself using the binbok more because of the motion control. They are a little thicker than the split pad and I think it makes them easier to hold. Mine occasionally disconnect from my switch while in handheld and I have to hit the trigger buttons to reconnect them, but other than that and a dpad that takes some getting used to/breaking in I really like mine. I’m not sure if the Animal Crossing one has the lights around the sticks like the others, but that was something I really hated when I first got mine. Luckily it’s something you can turn off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did Sonic Colors Ultimate get patched to something acceptable, or no?

At the time of you asking, no.

But now? Yes.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1462889439470895107?t=ERtFmhY6zmnPRBTjGE2ZwQ&s=19

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i have an event in my calendar tomorrow called "buy astral chain it will be on sale." but it does not seem to be on sale anywhere. and i blame somebody in this thread >:(

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

But Astral Chain is, in fact, on sale

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've tried to get into Astral Chain multiple times but something about it just doesn't click with me. I think I'm too dumb to control two things at once.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Martman posted:

But Astral Chain is, in fact, on sale
Might want to specify where. Gamestop is selling digital codes for AC at $27 USD, the lowest it's ever been according to DekuDeals. If you're not in the US it might not be on sale?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Commander Keene posted:

Might want to specify where. Gamestop is selling digital codes for AC at $27 USD, the lowest it's ever been according to DekuDeals. If you're not in the US it might not be on sale?

...ah :canada:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Amazon just started price matching those GameStop deals.

Here's the Astral Chain one (non-affiliate)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

non-affiliate? you're just leaving money on the table????

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Haha I thought I was in coupons

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If I loved Nier Automata (the only platinumgames joint I've played) will I like Astral Chain?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Astral Chain’s narrative is like a coffee stain on a cocktail napkin compared to the writing and music of Neir, but the combat is more robust and by extension more demanding. They aren’t similar at all, really.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked the toilet fairy from Astral Chain, that was funny. Always thinking up something new, these auteurs.

Speaking of beverages, Hideo Kojima's storytelling is like a nice green tea latte. It's not quite a frappacino, or an Al Pacino, but it's got antioxigens that could defeat Godzilla if need be, and it's pretty tasty as well.

Speaking of the green, you think Link is gonna finally blaze in Breath of the Wild 2? Gandalf did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Heavy Metal posted:

I liked the toilet fairy from Astral Chain, that was funny. Always thinking up something new, these auteurs.

Speaking of beverages, Hideo Kojima's storytelling is like a nice green tea latte. It's not quite a frappacino, or an Al Pacino,

How about a Dunkaccino?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo is for sure even better, I rank Al Pacino a little higher than the Dunkaccino. And by the way, Twin Snakes should be on the Switch, just saying. Those ol' scratched discs from 2004 are not gonna do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Astral Chain’s narrative is like a coffee stain on a cocktail napkin compared to the writing and music of Neir, but the combat is more robust and by extension more demanding. They aren’t similar at all, really.

Ahh, yeah, I meant gameplay wise, not a narrative comparison. I loved the combat system in Nier Automata. I already bought it anyways, lmao. Gonna play it this weekend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

automata isn't really on the level with a lot of platinum's other work in terms of the combat, mainly in that astral chain and bayonetta and whatever else are a bit chunkier and more fleshed out in that regard. if you got a taste of character action stuff and want to go further you should definitely get some play out of astral chain

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i got kotor (first time playing it) and so far i am having fun, it's scratching that old janky rpg itch

the morality system is perfect
[light side] here take all my credits, it's the least i can do
[neutral] good bye
[dark side] i'll kill u and spit on ur corpse

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Is there a switch homebrew thread? No files but I modded my launch switch recently to try to get some better visuals/ performance out of Xenoblade 2. I bought it at launch and kinda let it sit hoping Monolith would do something with it. Anyways that’s now starting to look doubtful.

So I managed to get it running with docked settings handheld with little or not performance drop, but I can’t seem to get rid of the sharpening. I’m wondering if anyone here has tried it before? What little I could find on the internet is not helpful or just unclear. My dumb dumb brain needs a step by step guide.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kaewan posted:

Is there a switch homebrew thread?

yep https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

i haven't messed with shaders but someone in there can probably help.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yep https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

i haven't messed with shaders but someone in there can probably help.

Thanks brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I apologize for possibly being an idiot, but is there any way for me to close the Nintendo 64 app with the Nintendo 64 controller? It doesn't seem like there's a way to close the software without an x button.