Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

jokes posted:

Also Ascians know if they kill everyone (and everything?) in the world then, many years later, everything will start over anyways because of Aether and the lifestream. Maybe he'd rather hit a big "do-over" button than let the heroes win.

He's attempting to usher in the Final Days. Its, presumably, the literal END of the World. The unmaking of reality itself. There will be no world left to "start over".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the reason Fantastic Daniel Airing Sunday Mornings On CBBC went for that 'and that's all I want, so don't go assuming there's ulterior motives' comment is because he knows the WoL is a frustratingly competent and sympathetic meddling rear end in a top hat, which is the last thing you want if you actually have a valid but sad reason to do the dangerous thing.

The moment you give someone like the WoL a sniff of a sympathetic motivation, suddenly that's The Real Problem. And when that happens, the best you can hope for is that it'll make you feel shittier and take away the moment of triumph; at worst they'll actually decide they need to solve the problem, as if they suddenly know better than you after knowing the situation for two minutes, and then you've gotta spend all this time going over 'no this is literally not a problem that can be solved like that, go home, you don't get it'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 22, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

im glad to have you on the forums, ishikawa-san

lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol if the sound is something fandaniel summoned because he was mad about the way amaurot controlled creation magic

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Killing everyone on the Source now, before Zodiark is freed from its imprisonment, would ruin the original plan since the plan was to sacrifice the Source's population to Zodiark to re-create the Ancients. But with the unsundered now dead, the remaining Ascians are leaderless, some of them might be trying to continue the Plan but Fandaniel certainly seems to be insane. Maybe he was always insane. Maybe that crystal was a perfect copy of his personality and he was nuts 13,000 years ago. Maybe he was behind the Final Days the first time. There's your twist.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Farg posted:

if a guy shows up and says "i want to end the world and kill everyone and don't think about why i want to do that there is no deeper reason", then there is obviously a deeper reason

His local Arbies closed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the reason Fantastic Daniel Airing Sunday Mornings On CBBC went for that 'and that's all I want, so don't go assuming there's ulterior motives' comment is because he knows the WoL is a frustratingly competent and sympathetic meddling rear end in a top hat, which is the last thing you want if you actually have a valid but sad reason to do the dangerous thing.

The moment you give someone like the WoL a sniff of a sympathetic motivation, suddenly that's The Real Problem. And when that happens, the best you can hope for is that it'll make you feel shittier and take away the moment of triumph; at worst they'll actually decide they need to solve the problem, as if they suddenly know better than you after knowing the situation for two minutes, and then you've gotta spend all this time going over 'no this is literally not a problem that can be solved like that, go home, you don't get it'.
Y'shtola looks at it for three minutes, does a couple quick tests, figures out a solution, complete with /eureka emote.

Now Fandaniel has a real reason to be upset!

e: To rub it in, we encounter Yotsuyu's shade in the Lifestream, who reaches basically the same conclusion in a way bitchier way. Emet-Selch's shade gives a hearty lol.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

thetoughestbean posted:

His local Arbies closed
William Foster Fandaniel is stuck in traffic on the hottest day ever recorded in the city's history. After his air conditioning fails, he abandons his car magitek armor and begins walking home across Los Angeles Eorzea, carrying his briefcase.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

Y'shtola looks at it for three minutes, does a couple quick tests, figures out a solution, complete with /eureka emote.

Now Fandaniel has a real reason to be upset!

e: To rub it in, we encounter Yotsuyu's shade in the Lifestream, who reaches basically the same conclusion in a way bitchier way. Emet-Selch's shade gives a hearty lol.

Yes, I will say: if that theory is true, this is exactly what's going to happen. drat Daniel Back At It Again With The White Robes throws down the real reason, it sounds big and heady, and it's solved in three cutscenes. Four tops.

This will be true regardless of how severe the problem actually is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fandaniel is a WoW streamer who foresaw the mass exodus to FF14. He will play copyrighted music during his boss fight in order to get all FF14 streamers banned.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Fandaniel is a WoW streamer who foresaw the mass exodus to FF14. He will play copyrighted music during his boss fight in order to get all FF14 streamers banned.

drat...Maybe Fandaniel is good.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I want Azem to appear as an aetherial G Warrior that the WoL and the other shepherd shards combine into to defeat the final boss. It would be a much cooler quick time event than just breaking some magic chains or teleporting from the rift.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FuturePastNow posted:

Killing everyone on the Source now, before Zodiark is freed from its imprisonment, would ruin the original plan since the plan was to sacrifice the Source's population to Zodiark to re-create the Ancients. But with the unsundered now dead, the remaining Ascians are leaderless, some of them might be trying to continue the Plan but Fandaniel certainly seems to be insane. Maybe he was always insane. Maybe that crystal was a perfect copy of his personality and he was nuts 13,000 years ago. Maybe he was behind the Final Days the first time. There's your twist.

I mean my theory is that Fandaniel is much more the person he was before than Fandaniel the Ancient, combined with the memory crystal being hosed up, he's someone who had his original life stolen from him by some all power ancient rear end in a top hat, who told him to go enact these complicated plans and schemes and that oh he knows he probably died enacting them before. It's just all this compound frustration with his situation, hating the Ascians who forced him to do this, and his rebellion is essentially oh he's going to do the one thing they didn't want and he's going to end those days and kill all of them the smug pricks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thetoughestbean posted:

His local Arbies closed

I'm pretty sure even the ascians' waffle houses closed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tekne posted:

I want Azem to appear as an aetherial G Warrior that the WoL and the other shepherd shards combine into to defeat the final boss. It would be a much cooler quick time event than just breaking some magic chains or teleporting from the rift.

That sounds like a QTE that gets given to the tank.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cleretic posted:

That sounds like a QTE that gets given to the tank.

Instead of 'Rules Of Nature' this time the music cue will be 'Had To Be This Way'

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I have 2 wild guesses for something they may do in Endwalker that I need to get out there.

1. They will do 7 story dungeons by having one less post story dungeon and having 2 level 90 story dungeons.

2. That floating island that remains unnamed is actually in meracydia which is why they cannot show more than concept art.

Figure these may be worth talkin about possibly, idea 2 in particular is really sticking in my mind now.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 24, 2021

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I down with #1

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
https://twitter.com/nocheamarga/status/1463292205552975874

Elidibus, I'm trying to build an evil empire but I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the Scions

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Here's quite a theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBeXUZX4K4

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Of course I wouldn't consider killing you murder. You possess 1/13 the rear end of a completed soul.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

That would be kind of funny. Another Ascian dies from being loving eaten.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I had skimmed this but from what I gather, he’s saying Fandaniel is a fragment of another character just in the way Ardbert was a fragment of us? (Or moreso we’re both fragments of Azem)

This theory falls apart at its very basic idea. Sundered Ascians can’t world hop. Only the Unsundered could. If Fandaniel is native to the Source, he can’t be a fragment of someone already on the Source. If he’s from another shard, one of the Unsundered would have had to bring him over.

At least, that is my understanding.

Also, what would be the point of this reveal? Like it does nothing for the story and doesn’t really change anything.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Sundered Ascians can worldhop, it was that they couldn't enter certain places on the Source being protected by Hydelain. Lahabrea's assistant during Heavenward was the Ascian who screwed up the 13th.

And, as a point of note, Hydelain has been having problems protecting things lately.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mordiceius posted:

Also, what would be the point of this reveal? Like it does nothing for the story and doesn’t really change anything.

I always ask this question when someone puts forward a 'wild twist for the sake of it' idea these days, and I never get an answer.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gearhead posted:

Sundered Ascians can worldhop, it was that they couldn't enter certain places on the Source being protected by Hydelain. Lahabrea's assistant during Heavenward was the Ascian who screwed up the 13th.

And, as a point of note, Hydelain has been having problems protecting things lately.

Yeah, once you become an Ascian you live in the space between worlds. You just need a crystal of Darkness to go to any of the worlds. The Unsundered do NOT need this, so they can worldhop at will, but there's just a couple extra steps for a sundered Ascian.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

I always ask this question when someone puts forward a 'wild twist for the sake of it' idea these days, and I never get an answer.

Yeah, like the only time I feel like FFXIV has done a “pointless” reveal that didn’t accomplish much was the “Yda is Lyse” reveal. For the most part, I feel like the game doesn’t do a reveal that doesn’t have a good reason behind it. This Fandaniel theory accomplishes nothing and wouldn’t really change anything?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, like the only time I feel like FFXIV has done a “pointless” reveal that didn’t accomplish much was the “Yda is Lyse” reveal. For the most part, I feel like the game doesn’t do a reveal that doesn’t have a good reason behind it. This Fandaniel theory accomplishes nothing and wouldn’t really change anything?

Even that I would argue still did something, in giving Lyse a different energy and character dynamic better suited to her Stormblood role; I can't really picture 'Yda' filling the same role quite as well. Of course, there are other ways to do that, but they went with what they went with. There's also the recent reveal that the girl that Yda basically gave her life for was Fordola, which gives a potentially interesting character link between her and Lyse. They haven't done anything with this, and they may never, but it is a seed that they wouldn't have if they hadn't gone for that twist.

But yeah, the writers are generally very smart, efficient and effective about writing; no big story thing happens just for the sake of having it happen. It's why there's not twists for twists' sake, and similarly, why a lot of the 'what if dead character X isn't actually dead' theories won't happen. If they're not dead, then it's a waste of a perfectly good death scene, isn't it?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Cleretic posted:

Even that I would argue still did something, in giving Lyse a different energy and character dynamic better suited to her Stormblood role; I can't really picture 'Yda' filling the same role quite as well. Of course, there are other ways to do that, but they went with what they went with. There's also the recent reveal that the girl that Yda basically gave her life for was Fordola, which gives a potentially interesting character link between her and Lyse. They haven't done anything with this, and they may never, but it is a seed that they wouldn't have if they hadn't gone for that twist.

But yeah, the writers are generally very smart, efficient and effective about writing; no big story thing happens just for the sake of having it happen. It's why there's not twists for twists' sake, and similarly, why a lot of the 'what if dead character X isn't actually dead' theories won't happen. If they're not dead, then it's a waste of a perfectly good death scene, isn't it?

Gaius sends his regards! And from the afterlife, Moenbryda is high fiving him, whilst Nanamo chugs another five cups of poison.

I agree with you otherwise, they're generally very smart about this sort of thing these days. But there are definitely major exceptions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Meeko posted:

Gaius sends his regards! And from the afterlife, Moenbryda is high fiving him, whilst Nanamo chugs another five cups of poison.

I agree with you otherwise, they're generally very smart about this sort of thing these days. But there are definitely major exceptions.

one of these things is not like the others

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Meeko posted:

Gaius at least never got an on-screen death, so he was never in quite the same state. ...and, uhm, Moenbryda actually did die.

Really, the main exceptions are Nanamo, Yotsuyu, and Zenos. And while I'm generally fine with Nanamo in part because hers was kinda too shocking to feel like it was 'real', I do think the writing's biggest lapse is its love of death scares. But generally, if you see the actual moment of death you can trust it's true (unless it's Zenos, or poison), but a lot of people are instead like 'nope, Emet-Selch is alive and always has been because I will my genocide-committing husband back despite all narrative logic and tension'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 24, 2021

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I think Zodiark is a midi-chlorian.

Evidence:

1) Very powerful
2) Revered by an order of robed nerds
3) In the Endwalker launch trailer, he's not portrayed next to anything that would establish scale, clearly to hide that he's microscopically tiny

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Cleretic posted:

Gaius at least never got an on-screen death, so he was never in quite the same state. ...and, uhm, Moenbryda actually did die.

SirSamVimes posted:

one of these things is not like the others

To be clear, I mean Moenbryda's death was pointless and sucked and was a waste of a perfectly good character/death scene. I should have clarified!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Moenbryda needed to enter the plot a lot sooner than she did so that her death would have more weight and felt like more of an emotional gut punch as a character we've had the chance to get to know and grow closer to died instead of it feeling like a celebrity guest star joining the cast of CSI: Eorzea just so they can die one episode later.

Have her show up accompanying Alphinaud when he tracks us down at the church in Camp Drybone after the attack on the Waking Sands. Let her be the one to come up with the corrupted crystals solution to break through Garuda's barrier. Give her some scenes where she hangs out with Urianger and Yda in Patches 2.1-2.5 so that they get some more characterization and to help set up foreshadowing for the "Yda is secretly Lyse" reveal so that it doesn't feel like it comes out of nowhere at the end of Heavensward.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moenbryda had some extreme Poochie energy frankly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For me pretty much the second she showed up, I was like oh she's just here to die.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The second she showed up and was Ydas secret best friend and the love of Uriangers life and also the most active scholar of the scions here to push their research forward and everybody was just so excited to see her it was very clear this was not a real character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

She felt so lively in contrast to the rest of the Scions that I assumed it was a writing shift, channel some of the gravitas into a different mood. Like when you play the rogue quests and know they definitely weren't written at the same time as the other ARR classes. Her death wasn't exactly a surprise, but Krile had a similar entry into the team and she's still around using that energy to drive the plot forward instead of getting shanked. Kidnapped, yes, but not shanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bruceski posted:

Her death wasn't exactly a surprise, but Krile had a similar entry into the team and she's still around using that energy to drive the plot forward instead of getting shanked.

Krile was, at least, mentioned in passing before she ever appeared, as Minfillia's penpal. Moenbryda just kinda showed up one day.

Considering her kind of jovial manner, I suspect that the original idea was to have Yda die here, but they'd come up with a new plan for Yda and needed to find someone else to die.