Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

This works in Russia's favor since, while they may have the forces in place for a push, can opt to just rain down cruise missiles and airstrikes on every Ukranian military facility of value while holding the line against an Ukranian response.

And what can NATO tangibly do in response to that, go kill Russians in Russian territory?

This would completely devastate Ukraniain military infrastructure, nipping at the bud any ideas they might've had of a campaign in Donbass, and demonstrates the Zelensky government and its Western backers are impotent, securing primary policy goals without risking a protracted occupation with an active insurgency.

How is bombing Ukrainian facilities from Russia without moving forward to grab territory actually help Russia? It just depletestheir missile stockpile, which I suspect isn' as big or replaceable as Russia would like you to believe, while achieving??? Preventing Ukraine from doing operations it wouldn't be able or willing to launch anyway? And it actually gives NATO incentive to engage with Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Ukranian government was seemingly planning on launching a campaign on Donbass this year, and changed their minds only after the preemptive Russian response was to heavily reinforce the region with the largest troop movement since the war started.

What we're seeing now is partly a continuation of that, since they already had the logistics train in place.

So the question is, "How is bombing Ukrainian facilities from Russia without moving forward to grab territory actually help Russia?" Again, it literally demolishes any illusions that if push comes to shove Ukraine can put on pressure on Donbass, and it demonstrates to the Ukrainian populace that the Zelensky government is impotent and the West cannot and will not defend them - which in an ideal Russian scenario is a shift back towards their orbit, because while certain groups and parts of Ukraine will always be anti-Russia that's not necessarily true of the government or broader political echelon.

I'll add, unless the trajectory of the situation dramatically changes, this is what I at least expect Russia will attempt. I'm no prophet; maybe Putin will actually go and try to take Mariupol, too. And tangentially, the Ukranian military's assessment that was posted earlier in the thread is as close to a worst case scenario as it gets for them - not necessarily what they believe will happen but it's genuinely their job to plan for that given the severity of the situation.

And since you were pointing out costs, fact is this seems too much movement of forces for just posturing. They're pulling vehicles out of central reserve unit depots - this is expensive. Rumor by way of Bloomberg is they've also non-publicly mobilized multiple reserve divisions, which is the sort of thing you do if you expect to have to secure territory. If this is all just a bluff then it's a very convincing one.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in lighter hearted news, lukashenko still somehow both good and bad at interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArWeoIK3Idc

he has like one register of speech only, whether speaking to his lackeys in the national government or foreign journalists who think he's full of poo poo

peak Soviet successor state moment: "What do you mean [World War II] has nothing to do with this?"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Oh hey it’s the bi-yearly Clancy chat time again? poo poo, time flies

Oi, so that's why this thread has over 30 comments overnight

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in lighter hearted news, lukashenko still somehow both good and bad at interviews

he has like one register of speech only, whether speaking to his lackeys in the national government or foreign journalists who think he's full of poo poo

peak Soviet successor state moment: "What do you mean [World War II] has nothing to do with this?"

Hard to comprehend what being in power for 26 years does to your brain especially to a bydlo-kolhoznik

What's a good drink to have for opening for when he finally dies

In other news: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/11/23/us-escalating-russia-ukraine-tensions-by-arming-kiev-kremlin-a75643

quote:

“Who’ll be attacking whom? Russia — Ukraine or Ukraine — Russia?” Peskov asked. “We assert that Ukraine is planning aggressive actions against Donbass.”

Somaen fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 23, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Hard to comprehend what being in power for 26 years does to your brain especially to a bydlo-kolhoznik

What's a good drink to have for opening for when he finally dies

In other news: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/11/23/us-escalating-russia-ukraine-tensions-by-arming-kiev-kremlin-a75643

It depends. He doesn’t drink outside diplomatic functions, as far as I know, so you have a few options:

1) Drink beer, which he genuinely hates.

2) He doesn’t like potatoes, and often eats “keto-style” meat or fish meals. With meals he approves having 70-100 ml of quality vodka, so you could replicate that - maybe spiting him with potato vodka.

3) He handles strong liquors poorly, and prefers delicate, fragrant wines for the occasions where he has to drink.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
100ml of vodka? At that point you aren't having a vodka to go alongside with the meal, you are having some food to keep the vodka down

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

How can you drink less than 10cl of vodka and still call it drinking? At that point you might as well drink water

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Drinking, sure, but at lunch? Seems a bit much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

100ml of vodka? At that point you aren't having a vodka to go alongside with the meal, you are having some food to keep the vodka down

steinrokkan posted:

Drinking, sure, but at lunch? Seems a bit much.

Tell me you're from a Western country without telling me that you're from a Western country.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

100ml is like 3 small shots.. Might get a light buzz, definitely not fit to drive, but absolutely not needing some special considerations to keep it down.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
According to my comprehensive (but entirely non academic) studies of Soviet Latvian satire magazines I read growing up, 100 ml, or more precisely, "simts grami'/'sto gram' was a very common colloquial phrase throughout much of the 70s and 80s.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

10 with lunch isn't absurd sounding to me at least, but it's also not absurd to not enjoy alcohol with sunlight so I get your point. Anyway when Luka goes you better believe I'm finding an invitation to the closest bravest wedding possible

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
lmao drat degregated westerners being able to keep their eyes open past two pm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

lmao drat degregated westerners being able to keep their eyes open past two pm

So are you then not 20 year old American, as insinuated above, but a 12 year old one instead, if 100 ml is your vodka tolerance limit?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That is not to say that business lunches where working day ends at 2pm don’t happen here, but even for me, a non-drinker, that’s going take at least a 700 ml bottle for two. 100 ml would only deter me, or any colleague I’ve ever had here, from driving a vehicle.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

For a brief moment I once had the thought "why did more than one collective farm leader become a post Soviet petty tyrant" until the obvious part hit me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
100ml is synonymous to a standard shot in most Eastern European countries. It's just how it is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

100ml is synonymous to a standard shot in most Eastern European countries. It's just how it is.

Стопка is a cursed term in my opinion. It's totally unrelated to 100 grams or 100 millilitres, and I've experienced the term being used for anything starting with like 70 ml. But you're correct in that, unlike many other countries, a single shot here starts at 50 ml - which would be a double shot in England, for instance.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I just buy the bottle and handle everything myself when I'm in a restaurant in eastern europe. :colbert:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in lighter hearted news, lukashenko still somehow both good and bad at interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArWeoIK3Idc

it really was a thing of beauty

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lum_ posted:

it really was a thing of beauty

He is literally Hitler but fatter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kremlin accuses Ukraine in raising tensions in whole Europe

Kremlin accuses Ukraine in preparations for military operation in Eastern Ukraine, and denies plans of Kremlin to attack Ukraine

This is now actually concerning.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Kremlin accuses Ukraine in raising tensions in whole Europe

Kremlin accuses Ukraine in preparations for military operation in Eastern Ukraine, and denies plans of Kremlin to attack Ukraine

This is now actually concerning.

yeah

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1463500094137905152

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They are rattling a bigger sabre now. Surely, this means they are going to openly attack this time around, while literally everyone is watching.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Paladinus posted:

They are rattling a bigger sabre now. Surely, this means they are going to openly attack this time around, while literally everyone is watching.

I mean, they can only back down so many times

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

I mean, they can only back down so many times

Dissuading Ukraine from crushing the DNR/LNR with drones and poo poo seems like an achievable objective that would not necessitate actual invasion. Not Russia, but Ukraine backing down in that case

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Paladinus posted:

There is no scenario in which they have sufficient forces in place to invade and everyone isn't watching, barring truly apocalyptic events elsewhere in the world. The calculation is whether or not Europe is willing to impose costs for belligerence.

All the "what is America gonna do, send Jim Bob from West Virginia to defense Kiev? :smug:" takes ignore that there's a lot of groundwork to be done to shore up the alliance system that this threat is the perfect opportunity for. It might not help Ukraine if Russia decides to invade, but it might help the Baltic states a decade down the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is also part of the problem with Germany buying Russian gas: Any sort of unilateral sanctions are blunted right now because Russia has most of the EU on the hook. In order to actually do meaningful sanctions, Germany would need to be able to cut Nordstream and tell the Russians that they won't buy product until they back off.

Which isn't gonna happen

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

All the "what is America gonna do, send Jim Bob from West Virginia to defense Kiev? :smug:" takes ignore that there's a lot of groundwork to be done to shore up the alliance system that this threat is the perfect opportunity for. It might not help Ukraine if Russia decides to invade, but it might help the Baltic states a decade down the road.

Oh, for sure as a consequence of this the Baltics and Poland are going to call for large scale military commitments from NATO, who with a heavy heart would have to pay the MIC hundreds of billions to maintain.

And in doing that, Putin might end up with a domestic political goldmine, because now NATO would be at the door in force and Russians could feel a genuine threat from the West, which he could embrace to tighten his slipping political control.

But either way, I'm certain western defense contractors are positively salivating at the idea of a new Iron Curtain - the Cold War, the *real* Cold War is coming back, baby!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

To be frank, I hope this actually results in a proverbial kick in NATO’s arse, to at least get all member states actually contributing 2%, and fellow Europeans doing something useful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Or maybe NATO should just, idk, disband.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As someone living in the Baltics, I think I’ll pass on that one.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I'm not sure I'm convinced that the bad guys here are military contractors and not the evil gnome that lives in a vault under the ground and keeps threatening people with war

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As someone living in the Baltics, I think I’ll pass on that one.

Hey, ideally NATO should've disbanded 30 years ago, but as someone not living in the Baltics I'd take your sovereignty's sacrifice to modern Russian opportunism over more mil spending waste and the risk of an escalation cycle that fucks everyone over. That is already loving everyone over.

That said, you'll get your wish as there really aren't a lot of reasons for NATO not to answer for a request of heavy militarization of the Baltics & Poland; the only realistic alternative security guarantee (as in, doesn't result in the alliance breaking down as a farce) would be immediate strategic nuclear response to any assault by Russia on a NATO state.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Or maybe NATO should just, idk, disband.

I think we are living in a moment of history where an alliance like NATO is more valuable than ever. Absolutely not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hey, ideally NATO should've disbanded 30 years ago, but as someone not living in the Baltics I'd take your sovereignty's sacrifice to modern Russian opportunism over more mil spending waste and the risk of an escalation cycle that fucks everyone over. That is already loving everyone over.

That said, you'll get your wish as there really aren't a lot of reasons for NATO not to answer for a request of heavy militarization of the Baltics & Poland; the only realistic alternative security guarantee (as in, doesn't result in the alliance breaking down as a farce) would be immediate strategic nuclear response to any assault by Russia on a NATO state.

How magnanimous of you to sacrifice somebody else.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well poo poo, at least you are up front about it.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

How magnanimous of you to sacrifice somebody else.

Yes, instead other people (unknown number ranging to 8 billion) should be sacrificed for the sake of a country getting to keep its special sky cloth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

Yes, instead other people (unknown number ranging to 8 billion) should be sacrificed for the sake of a country getting to keep its special sky cloth

lmao