Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the only protestant denomination that gets specifically named are Lutherans, which the Steiners belong to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Melissa and Hanse's wedding was complicated because she was a Catholic and he was a New Avalon Catholic and I don't remember the specifics beyond that, only that it had two officiants and most of the tableware was stolen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ofc he had her convert but not to Hanse's sect for some reason.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The in-setting implication is that religion exists but doesn't play enough of a role in most peoples' lives to be worth mentioning.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the Azami get their weird loophole.

also comstar but that's also not a real religion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
"We'll pay taxes in exchange for you leaving us the gently caress alone and you get to enjoy the benefits of having our extremely lucrative worlds in your borders but don't have to deal with the horrible MurderViruses that you haven't developed herd immunity to like we have."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I just googled that and jesus

I thought they were over-tuning it a bit in the GDL books I've read, this is like cartoon character levels of evil, what the poo poo

Yeah, even from the start the DC are definitely played more WWII Japan than Shogunate (not that the latter didn't have its own total bastard moments) and the House Kurita handbook both deliberately tied the start of the Kuritas to that era and made it pretty clear they've been ambitious bastards for some time. But at least they're interesting enough to be a "love to hate" faction for me, and really before the novels started dividing everything into "good guy" and "bad guy" fashion all the factions had elements of being jerks and outright monstrous past rulers. The latter even applied to the Combine as Takashi was an improved replacement to a vicious father, though considering he responded to the barest hint he had been involved with said father's assassination with a massacre, "improvement" was a relative term.

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech doesn't talk about religion much.

The original handbooks actually at least mentioned several religious groups in each nation, if only in survey fashion, and even introduced a few new ones (the Unfinished Book in the House Davion book for example). It doesn't really get highlighted much since Comstar took most of the "religious" power of the feudal setting though. Still, at least it gets more recognition than most sci-fi properties devote to it (and it doesn't act like religion will surely stop existing in the future, which is somewhat assumptive considering the idea is literally older than writing).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking of Shogunate Japan, I'm surprised we've never really seen the Combine spill much ink on "powerful Warlord makes the Coordinator his puppet." Kiyomori Minamoto comes the closest, but even he is ultimately subordinate to Hohiro, giving in on things like the Republic disarmament treaty. It looked for a hot minute like Yori Kurita might be that, but it's definitely not the case.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Defiance Industries posted:

Speaking of Shogunate Japan, I'm surprised we've never really seen the Combine spill much ink on "powerful Warlord makes the Coordinator his puppet." Kiyomori Minamoto comes the closest, but even he is ultimately subordinate to Hohiro, giving in on things like the Republic disarmament treaty. It looked for a hot minute like Yori Kurita might be that, but it's definitely not the case.

Yeah, don't recall too many puppet master regimes in general in-setting now that you mention it. And in other historical trends defied, honestly it's kind of weird all these Houses haven't actually had line breaks or the like to my knowledge ending their rule in favor of another family; haven't they all lasted longer than most if not all Earth dynasties by a while? On reflection it's kind of bizarre considering the number of centuries we're talking about that, say, the Federated Suns is still ruled by a Davion without one bad generation happening to get the line overthrown or wiped out. Though at least I seem to recall at least some if not all of them had to pull a "find a distant cousin with the name to continue" moment in their histories unless I'm misremembering.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think there's been a few times where a Distant Cousin or something similar takes power.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Federated Suns is the only one that has been continually ruled by one dynasty, though they did have the widest gap in relation between successors you'll probably ever see. Julian Davion was Caleb's sixteenth cousin. By comparison, Melissa II and Trillian were only eleventh cousins, which is totally normal and all.

As far as puppet rulers go, there's a few I can think of: Edmund Davion was basically used as a sock puppet that his mother and twin brother fought over. Alexander Davion spent several years as a political prop and hostage before he escaped the Varnays. Corrine Marik was installed as a puppet Captain-General for Atreus by the Word of Blake during the Jihad as Thomas Halas had escaped to Oriente. There's also a number of leaders who were almost totally reliant on a family member to run the state: Steven Steiner, Warren Kurita and Jonathan Cameron had the vast majority of their decisions made for them by their wife or sister.

It's not so much that we've never seen a puppet ruler, it's more that it doesn't seem to be a single powerful vassal that gets to do it as often as it is a close family member.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 11, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The current "House Kurita" probably has a more direct blood claim to the throne of the Federated Suns than they do to the Draconis Combine.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

It's not so much that we've never seen a puppet ruler, it's more that it doesn't seem to be a single powerful vassal that gets to do it as often as it is a close family member.

Which I suppose is pretty realistic historically; pretty sure a lot of ruler puppeteers involved family of the ruler in some way.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The current "House Kurita" probably has a more direct blood claim to the throne of the Federated Suns than they do to the Draconis Combine.

They certainly have de facto claimed the actual throne room at the moment! :mmmhmm: Though on the religious discussion earlier, apparently the DC murdered the New Avalon Catholic Pope and their cardinals for "practicing an illegal religion" after the conquest, so I guess that will save arguments for any future Catholic weddings.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They also took Hanse Davion's BLR and moved it to Luthien. What do you think happens in the cockpit every day?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a friend of mine got me into playing MWO and MW:5 this year. i'm a long time historical wargamer but recently sold all my minis and terrain because it was too expensive and i wasn't getting enough use out of them. i recently bought a new 3D printer some time back and started playing around with printing miniatures, at first some historicals but now we're talking about the battletech universe. printed a few sample mechs, picked this up to play around with making hex terrain, and spent a full day catching up on all the lore, and now i'm all in baby! we're planning on mostly playing Alpha Strike but i'm open to trying BT classic as well. following this thread with great interest!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Do we have a new discord after the last one died to the goon network dramabomb?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
there was a goon network dramabomb? lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taerkar posted:

Do we have a new discord after the last one died to the goon network dramabomb?

I think we're using the mwo/mw5 discord to reconsolidate battletech talk, it's in the op here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846392&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

there was a goon network dramabomb? lol

yes

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hmm that sounds like a thing that happened all right

i'm getting nostalgia for when goons first crashed the mwo forums, invading my old predominantly-white nerd americana space robot game

and it made me look up who all these cool and good and normal people were on the somethingawful.com forums

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

i'm getting nostalgia for when goons first crashed the mwo forums, invading my old predominantly-white nerd americana space robot game

and it made me look up who all these cool and good and normal people were on the somethingawful.com forums

No lie, this is how I found out about this place too, just replace MWO with Counter-Strike (I’m old)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

We squawked our way into your heart. Honestly some of the goon traditions of early mwo were hilarious. Any commando seen on a friendly team was instatk’d while a goon yelled about metal babies.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Catalyst just made a forcepack drop on their webstore: https://bg.battletech.com/news/additional-kickstarter-wave-2-items-forcepack-restocks-now-available/

This week:
Clan Command Star (Wave 1 restock)
Clan Heavy Striker Star (Wave 1 restock)
IS Command Lance (Wave 1 restock)
IS Battle Lance (Wave 1 restock)
Clan Elemental Star (Wave 1 restock)
IS Support Lance (Wave 2 restock)
Clan Support Star (Wave 2 restock)

The KS exclusive aerospace fighter and clan salvage boxes are available as well.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm going to end up with six of the Shilones and I don't regret it for even a second.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alright, I got my hands on a second Warhawk, which means it's time to repair the misprint!

First things first, we take our good Warhawk and make a mold with oyumaru (AKA "Blue Stuff") reusable molding material. I used way too much here, but it's fine. That just gives it plenty of supports that should match up when we go to make our actual mold. Once it's set up, we jam a little green stuff in there and pack it as hard as possible with the hosed-up Warhawk.

And while we're at it, let's make a few molds for use as base scatter later.

24 hours later and, while it's not perfect? I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's going to be getting a paint scheme that should help hide most of the rest of the issues.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
That’s a really cool trick, thanks for posting it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That looks pretty dang cool

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The photos are definitely much funnier using way too much molding. It looks like your Masakari is being attacked by The Blob.

"Oh gently caress it got me! It's coming through the hatch!"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The photos are definitely much funnier using way too much molding. It looks like your Masakari is being attacked by The Blob.

"Oh gently caress it got me! It's coming through the hatch!"

If this isn't a future PTN scenario, I don't know what is lol. Some kind of franchise spinoff from Hogarths Heroes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Might be a long shot, but has anybody here played the Mechwarrior RPG?

I got some friends into the tabletop game and they love it. They also love roleplaying. I got a second edition book off of ebay (and I have pdfs of all editions) but is it any good?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't have an answer to that post, but I just bought a copy of the new Mechwarrior: Destiny, hoping to run my first non-one-shot campaign.

Thinking of setting it in 3132 because I'm clinically insane. Also if anyone has tips on fun stuff/characters/events going on in the Prefecture VII or VIII-side of the Republic, I'd appreciate some words

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 22, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I played the RPG briefly more than a decade ago, and remember little. What I do recall: the GM asked us at the start what mechs we'd like to pilot. I chose a Crab, and another played chose something equally moderate, though I forget what specifically. Then player 3 demands an Atlas, 4 insists on commanding an entire tank platoon, and 5 wants to be a helicopter pilot. The GM acquiesces to all of this. Can't recall much of the role-playing; there was some corporate intrigue and a car chase. Then we finally get to fight a battle, datasheet, hexmaps and all. A few turns in the Atlas gets domed by a lucky shot from a concealed AT gun, and its player spends the rest of the evening arguing with the GM that the gun was too close to him to elevate high enough for a headshot. That would be our last session.

Overall though, I had a lot of fun and I'm still friends with the helicopter pilot.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

CornHolio posted:

Might be a long shot, but has anybody here played the Mechwarrior RPG?

I got some friends into the tabletop game and they love it. They also love roleplaying. I got a second edition book off of ebay (and I have pdfs of all editions) but is it any good?

Second edition is generally considered the best one. Its limitations are that its very era limited and limited in terms of product support in general (you'll want to get the MechWarrior Companion, as it's pretty much the only notable sourcebook released for that edition). It's also easy to break in terms of XP: do a search on MW 2nd edition problems or XP and you'll find the details (IIRC it's very easy to create elite pilots right out of the gate).

That having been said, the major issues are easy to adjust with house rules, and it's got a far better crunch/meaningful gameplay ratio than any of the later editions, which frankly are nightmarish at times.

If you're not afraid to do some of your own material to cover eras/events etc not officially covered, you'll be fine and can get some good mileage out of it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like the older editions of the Mechwarrior RPGs have the same issue that Shadowrun and Hero System have: some of their interactions are incredibly lethal for the players, which wouldn't be a problem except that all of those systems also take a long time to roll up a new character (with Shadowrun being probably the most forgiving of the three).

I like Mechwarrior Destiny a lot by comparison. It's not perfect, but making a character is fast and 'BattleTech as an Action Movie' appeals to me more than 'BattleTech as a universe simulator.'

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A lot of people still play and enjoy 2E. Pretty natural that a game like BT has a base for an RPG where you track how many magazines you have left for your pistol, I suppose.

Definitely agree that character creation takes too long for a setting where there are books and books and books full of things that can completely obliterate your character without skipping a step though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm currently in a Destiny campaign heavily hacked for mech combat. It's a lot of fun. The Cues drive my GM nuts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Do you end up going to hex maps and tabletop rules for your hack? I want to know!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Oh the subject of Mechwarrior Destiny being hacked for tabletop wargaming play, there's a fan-made adaption that lets you use a modified version of the Destiny ruleset to play a tactical tabletop wargaming match called Battletech Destiny, by DFAWargaming. I've chedked it out, and it feels like a very nice in-between from the crunch of Classic and the simplification of Alpha Strike. The ruleset is currently available on their Patreon, but they intend to release it for free once they've finished ironing out the system. You can check their YT channel for battle reports using the system.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So a friend and I played a mock version of Alpha Strike to familiarize the rules, and while it's fun and will be even more fun with a campaign framework (and miniatures and terrain of course), it has me back to thinking I'd also like to give CBT a try. I'm just so put off by the endless dice rolling and insane record keeping, has anyone played using Flechs Sheets? The sheets themselves and the player aids (the auto dice rolling/resolving functions) seem like they would speed up play quite a bit and make the 80s style buckets of dice and charts a lot more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the endless dice rolling and insane record keeping,

wait I thought this was the best part, am I playing wrong or what