Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Karma Tornado posted:

ah, I'd never played Forza prior to 4. it makes sense that the devs are English, because England in 4 was just played as a location and not really a theme. Mexico in 5 is like "we just saw Coco and really liked the art direction, what else do we know about Mexico? wrestling. the word 'amigo.' characters that talk about their beloved abuela who had a VW Bug that was part of her familia. we're all set"

The worst part is all of this is true and it's still one of the best depictions of Mexico in a video game ever because almost every single other one is "it's brown and there are drug dealers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hollow Knight White Palace: why am I suddenly playing Super Meatboy and how do I stop

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's a bad tonal shift but it's pretty short so grit your teeth and get through it so you can get back to the type of game you came for. Hiveblood charm is nice if you can get that first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hiveblood is the scrub choice, use Grubsong and Deep Focus instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
don't do hiveblood. do deep focus + grubsong. it doesn't give you unlimited health but i think it's something like effectively 30x the health and you dont have to wait 15 seconds between attempts

also don't use sharp shadow or dashmaster, in case you had that one equipped

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lakitu7 posted:

It's a bad tonal shift but it's pretty short so grit your teeth and get through it so you can get back to the type of game you came for. Hiveblood charm is nice if you can get that first.

Counterpoint: The White Palace is... good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Typing Club in French is hard mode. So many accents. If I get to the end I will have become the most powerful typer alive

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ciaphas posted:

can confirm, RR has some of the worst how-do-you-do-fellow-kids dialogue I've ever heard

Lmao I quit halfway through the tutorial yesterday because everyone was way too XTRRRRRRREME for me

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't play racing games much so I dunno if its normal, but I think its really weird how much time Forza 5 spends blowing you. Like I just want to race but I have these long rear end unskippable cutscenes of people going on and on about how awesome you are. Settle down game, I just got through a couple tutorials

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone here played the Mafia 1 remake? I bought the game the other day, and played the first few missions of it today. I played the original several years ago (I think some time not long after Mafia 2 came out), and I remember it being a very frustrating experience, as the difficulty of the missions and combat were very unforgiving, and the driving was very slow.

So far, the remake plays pretty well (although I'm playing it on Medium difficulty). The cars feel faster than they did in the original game, and the combat seems to have been carried over from Mafia 3 (in fact, I think the corner takedown animation is the same one Lincoln has in Mafia 3).

Presentation-wise, though...it just feels really off. An excerpt from one of the top listed Steam reviews for the game, that caught my eye before I bought it:

Steam Review | HappyMrSnowman posted:

The voice acting is the first thing you notice. Paulie, Sam, and Tommy all went from sounding like Italian mob guys who aren't caricatures to NNNYEEEEH SEE, FUGHETABOUTIT. Paulie keeps his character more or less, but his voice actor is horrible and obnoxious. Sam sort of retains his voice, but his persona goes from the "straight man" that Tommy would confide in, to a cocky jerk. Tommy's voice actor was okay, but his personality got assassinated. Whereas originally he was a mellow but confident man and definitely not bloodthirsty, he went to being a cocky greaser type who happily kills scores of men and then hesitates to kill one more. Inconsistent character delivery and inconsistent motivations all around.

I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, since the other reviews were positive, but so far, I have to agree with it. The voice acting does seems cartoonish, like the voice actors were instructed to do funny voices. The character modeling also seems kind of bland, to the point where the character models from the original 2002 game look better (not in terms of graphical fidelity, but rather that the modeling/texturing in the original makes the characters look more distinct.)

Screenshot of the original. From left-to-right: Tommy, Paulie, Sam.

From the remake. From left-to-right: Sam, Tommy, Paulie.

I know this sounds really pedantic, but so far, I'm not sure how I feel about it, as I like playing this more than the original (though in fairness, I haven't played the original in such a long time), but the presentation is off-putting. I'm curious if anyone else took issue with it or not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CarlCX posted:

The worst part is all of this is true and it's still one of the best depictions of Mexico in a video game ever because almost every single other one is "it's brown and there are drug dealers."

Yeah not having the brown filter makes it so much better than any interpretation of Mexico outside of Drinkbox's stuff

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game awareness post. It's Northern Journey!

a mostly linear first-person adventure through a fantasy scandinavian land. I think it was made by just a single person, which is simultaneously very apparent in a number of ways but also extremely impressive for this 10-14 hour game considering the amount of variety and next to no content reuse between levels.

this game is weird as hell, but in a charming way which gives it an unpredictable feel and masks some smart design like clear audio cues to signal enemies who are offscreen or health pickups placed strategically on terrain to let you know what ledges are walkable. while some parts work better than others (I thought the last third or so of the game was weaker with gimmicks that didn't work as well and some annoying encounters), it's overall a good experience backed up by an evocative and memorable soundtrack. Very glad I heard about this one.

https://i.imgur.com/2pJgubx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/azVLtxA.mp4

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here played the Mafia 1 remake? I bought the game the other day, and played the first few missions of it today. I played the original several years ago (I think some time not long after Mafia 2 came out), and I remember it being a very frustrating experience, as the difficulty of the missions and combat were very unforgiving, and the driving was very slow.

So far, the remake plays pretty well (although I'm playing it on Medium difficulty). The cars feel faster than they did in the original game, and the combat seems to have been carried over from Mafia 3 (in fact, I think the corner takedown animation is the same one Lincoln has in Mafia 3).

Presentation-wise, though...it just feels really off. An excerpt from one of the top listed Steam reviews for the game, that caught my eye before I bought it:

I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, since the other reviews were positive, but so far, I have to agree with it. The voice acting does seems cartoonish, like the voice actors were instructed to do funny voices. The character modeling also seems kind of bland, to the point where the character models from the original 2002 game look better (not in terms of graphical fidelity, but rather that the modeling/texturing in the original makes the characters look more distinct.)

Screenshot of the original. From left-to-right: Tommy, Paulie, Sam.

From the remake. From left-to-right: Sam, Tommy, Paulie.

I know this sounds really pedantic, but so far, I'm not sure how I feel about it, as I like playing this more than the original (though in fairness, I haven't played the original in such a long time), but the presentation is off-putting. I'm curious if anyone else took issue with it or not.

I'm playing it now and have kind of the same thoughts. It's enjoyable to play, and I'm sure nowadays I could not deal with the originals "quirks" of design, but there's a lot of small stuff that adds this incongruous feel. I think the absolute worst is making Paulie sound like Clamps from Futurama though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I, Butthole posted:

I'm playing it now and have kind of the same thoughts. It's enjoyable to play, and I'm sure nowadays I could not deal with the originals "quirks" of design, but there's a lot of small stuff that adds this incongruous feel. I think the absolute worst is making Paulie sound like Clamps from Futurama though.

There are a lot of people who praise the original, and in fairness, I think it's because the original was meant to be more of 'simulation' in a way. There was a lot of detail that went into it, which while not that impressive now, I imagine was amazing back in 2002. Despite my disdain for it, I think some of my issues had to do with my mindset going into it, where I was expecting something more like Grand Theft Auto.

I agree that Remake Paulie is the worst of the bunch. It's like the VA pinched their nose when reading all the lines.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
TBH the detail is more impressive now than it was back then. Games have actually become more sterile in terms of detail and interactivity despite budgets going up and visual complexity moonshotting.

Mafia was a very unique game because it focused heavily on aesthetics and putting you into the feeling of the setting. GTA 3 pioneered many things in this regard, but Mafia took it to another level. I would almost compare it to Sleeping Dogs in terms of really making you feel like you have a strong sense of who the main character is and the place he's living in being believable. It's just the difference between a mob movie and a martial arts movie.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is Gunfire Reborn basically Risk of Rain 2 if it was an FPS?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Max Payne is still an absolute banger. Pain to the max!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

err posted:

In that it's a run based roguelike sure but they're very different games. I really didn't care for Gunfire Reborn but I haven't tried it since well before it launched. Risk of Rain 2 really piles on the upgrades and I never really felt that same satisfaction in Gunfire.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

err posted:

No. Similarities are that they're rogue-lites and you can become a horrific god of mass destruction via a bunch of item/upgrade synergies. Also they both have 4-player co-op -- GFR's netcode is a lot better than Risk of Rain 2 btw, though I think if you do get disconnected long enough to get kicked from a lobby (like 90 seconds or some poo poo) there's no way for you to get back in.

GFR's actual gameplay is... mostly just roguelite Borderlands but probably without the complaints you may have about Borderlands. Areas are much more enclosed than Risk of Rain 2, each room spawns a couple waves of enemies, guns have random modifiers on them (and mercifully a constant stream of decent weapons drop).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Game awareness post. It's Northern Journey!

a mostly linear first-person adventure through a fantasy scandinavian land. I think it was made by just a single person, which is simultaneously very apparent in a number of ways but also extremely impressive for this 10-14 hour game considering the amount of variety and next to no content reuse between levels.

this game is weird as hell, but in a charming way which gives it an unpredictable feel and masks some smart design like clear audio cues to signal enemies who are offscreen or health pickups placed strategically on terrain to let you know what ledges are walkable. while some parts work better than others (I thought the last third or so of the game was weaker with gimmicks that didn't work as well and some annoying encounters), it's overall a good experience backed up by an evocative and memorable soundtrack. Very glad I heard about this one.

https://i.imgur.com/2pJgubx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/azVLtxA.mp4

I was just thinking about doing Northern Journey Awareness posting too.

The game is very good and the developer (Norwegian guy) is very active and nice, already fixed so many things and added QoL stuff in roughly a month since its release. It is also the worst offender for people with arachnophobia featuring all the spiders you hate doing exactly what you fear.

Absolute recommended, the DUSK dev even left a review to praise it on Steam.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

haldolium posted:

The game is very good and the developer (Norwegian guy) is very active and nice, already fixed so many things and added QoL stuff in roughly a month since its release. It is also the worst offender for people with arachnophobia featuring all the spiders you hate doing exactly what you fear.

I saw someone stream it on Twitch and one of the latter sections involves swimming in dark and narrow tunnels. I think that might be a turn-off for some people too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

haldolium posted:

I was just thinking about doing Northern Journey Awareness posting too.

Absolute recommended, the DUSK dev even left a review to praise it on Steam.

Thanks for recommending this. It has a very unique graphic style and characters, reminding me of some folklore nightmare fuel. It's like a nordic Twin Peaks so far. Very strange atmosphere. The combat feels very janky though.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
it's about that time to clean out the wishlist, sales are coming soon and it's time to focus! (focus on anything other than your backlog)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PlushCow posted:

(focus on anything other than your backlog)

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
instead of focusing on my backlog i have used the last of my 2021 holidays to replay Halo 4, first time on PC since the 360 launch and man what a gorgeous game

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JollyBoyJohn posted:

instead of focusing on my backlog i have used the last of my 2021 holidays to replay Halo 4, first time on PC since the 360 launch and man what a gorgeous game

I've also been replaying everything on MCC to refresh my memory on Halo's story, and yeah the games look fantastic, especially on PC. Reach and 4 are among my favorites graphically.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Actually I have a progress question about Northern journey: I'm at Greenslit and wondering what to do next. I've opened the portal, went up the tower, shot with ballista, but since I don't have a pulley, I can't use any ropeways. I haven't found any other paths forward than Trollhole. Do I need to find a way to get to Nokkpond (for the pulley) or is Trollhole the right way for now?

It's got some jank, but it's the right kind of jank. Very atmospheric and fun to play. Already managed to sell the game for a couple of friends when I was streaming it earlier!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Actually I have a progress question about Northern journey: I'm at Greenslit and wondering what to do next. I've opened the portal, went up the tower, shot with ballista, but since I don't have a pulley, I can't use any ropeways. I haven't found any other paths forward than Trollhole. Do I need to find a way to get to Nokkpond (for the pulley) or is Trollhole the right way for now?

It's got some jank, but it's the right kind of jank. Very atmospheric and fun to play. Already managed to sell the game for a couple of friends when I was streaming it earlier!

If you’ve found both broken headlamp pieces then yes you should go to trollhole. It’s one of the things you need to do before you can reach nokkpond.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

If youve found both broken headlamp pieces then yes you should go to trollhole. Its one of the things you need to do before you can reach nokkpond.

I made my way to Nokkpond and called it a day there. What a great game, love it when you find a title you didn't know even existed and you end up spending the whole evening with it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am stuck in Superliminal at the Labyrinth section where you drop a building on this little model to advance. A video shows you drop it in front of the buildings and an exit is supposed to open behind the right one, only the exit is closed.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Since I might or might not be starting to go deep in tactics genre, trying FF Tactics. Am I really stuck behind allied units, or will I get winged armor that moves me through them and up easily onto rooftops? If I get eyeball from the rooftop, will I be able to throw potions past characters standing in front of my target? Can I delay action till end of turn? Is there fall damage from rush/push? I presume there's no opportunist. Is there vengeance?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

Since I might or might not be starting to go deep in tactics genre, trying FF Tactics. Am I really stuck behind allied units, or will I get winged armor that moves me through them and up easily onto rooftops? If I get eyeball from the rooftop, will I be able to throw potions past characters standing in front of my target? Can I delay action till end of turn? Is there fall damage from rush/push? I presume there's no opportunist. Is there vengeance?

Character have two movement stats, "move" and "jump". One is how many squares they move, obviously, but the other is how many height units they can move up or down. So if a unit has 3 jump, and they're next to a square that is 13 height when they're on a square that's 9 height, they can't move directly to it. Dragoons have a passive skills that allows you to ignore height, fittingly. They can just go wherever, it's great.

I'm pretty sure there's fall damage, based on how far a unit falls past their own jump limit.

There's no ability to move through or throw through allies or enemies. That's stuff you just have to be careful about, it's a very finnicky game. You can't delay actions either, though spells take time to go off, and archers can get you charge attacks (deal more damage, but delayed). There are various passive abilities for counter-attacking, monks get the physical one.

The game is really about mixing and matching different abilities across classes, to create extremely powerful units. Passive abilities generally don't come from equipment, it's stuff you buy with JP from specific jobs. I'd recommend looking up the unlock requirements for all the jobs, I don't think you can look at them anywhere in the game, and the better classes have weirdly specific requirements.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Why would they give them different speed stats if there's no way to move allies through each other or delay their turn? And you're saying if I have an archer at 10 height, and an ally adjacent at 0 height, and an enemy adjacent to them at 0 height, or 1 height for that matter, I can't shoot the enemy? I can't be alone thinking that's loving insane

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

Why would they give them different speed stats if there's no way to move allies through each other or delay their turn? And you're saying if I have an archer at 10 height, and an ally adjacent at 0 height, and an enemy adjacent to them at 0 height, or 1 height for that matter, I can't shoot the enemy? I can't be alone thinking that's loving insane

No no, archers shoot curved shots, they go up in the air, you can usually shoot around people. But with throwing items with a chemist or, later, using guns, they move in a straight line. So in your scenario, they would work too, going over the head of the allied character.

It is a weirdly simulationist game, in retrospect. Archers also get more range if they're shooting down at lower levels, there's an early mission where an enemy archer is way high up and can hit almost the whole map.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you end a turn without moving or taking an action, you save some of your CT, thus "delaying" a turn. CT is a fairly simple system: every clock tick every character gains their Speed in CT. Once one or more characters have 100 or more CT, it is their turn, ties decided by higher CT.

You can freely move allies through each other, you just can't move through enemies.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I was not expecting permadeath, and I don't see more chemists for hire. Should I just load?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Every character you hire will be a squire, but every character starts with squire and chemist classes available. You're not hosed, some people fire all of their starting generics and hire a new team with optimal zodiac, but that's not necessary either.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

I was not expecting permadeath, and I don't see more chemists for hire. Should I just load?

Probably, yeah. Or you can refresh the inn by traveling on the map. You have until all the crystals disappear from a downed unit before they die for real. You have to either get them up again or finish the mission.

The early game is brutal, a real trial by fire. You'll have to grind, there are random encounters when you move over the green map nodes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unless my memories of playing the PSX version of the game are horribly wrong or WOTL changed a lot, you can move through both your own units and allied NPCs just fine in FFT. Archers with bows can shoot over units, but someone using a crossbow or gun (or a chemist throwing items) has to have elevation to bypass someone in between them and their target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't know. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but my first impression is that FFT is no Vandal Hearts II.