Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

As a pedestrian, I have been hit by eight cyclists. I have never been hit by a car.

That's because people who get hit by cars often die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hold on while I get defensive on behalf of hypothetical cyclists

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/TammyTammycat/status/1462896126621884423?s=20

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

That's because people who get hit by cars often die.

Have you seen Humbug Schoolbus' posting?!

Some fates are worse.

I'm joking, obviously.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

As a pedestrian, I have been hit by eight cyclists. I have never been hit by a car.

is this you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8WtGdEL6k

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Anyone have a transcript of this?

are you for real?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Humbug crossing the street but instead of trees it's a guy on a schwinn 10 speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZ5DesM3cY

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There's still plenty of time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Ten minutes and twenty bucks earlier at the bar: 'I bet I can flip four quarters onto a fork'

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Hell of a loophole in the rules for steeplechase.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

With god as my witness, I thought horsies could fly.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Poor Freckles, thought of ants and flied

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regarde Aduck posted:

are you for real?
did you forget that deaf and hard of hearing people exist?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2zju4AfUd1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2wyzyrCkx1r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 23, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/FGDYlEI.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/5PF9il6.mp4

imgur fuckin killin' it today

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Going to touch the poop on the 'hypothetical cyclists' derail(leur) for a second to point out that there's a wide gradient of potential dangers posed by someone being an rear end in a top hat with a vehicle, and bicycles tend to be near the bottom of that gradient. Not to say that the cyclist in question isn't a dick, or that cyclists haven't killed or maimed people before, but compared to... Oh, let's say a semi truck carrying livestock charging at a line of pedestrians, you can see that there's a bit of a difference.

Actually I guess what I wanted to point out is that there are some (just one really) posters ITT who have got that twisted.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Nice troop carrier, but I thought they usually used a Chinook?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TasogareNoKagi posted:

With god as my witness, I thought horsies could fly.

I appreciate this, and you

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

Good thing he waited for that car. Wouldn't want to get hit while crossing the street.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2xr8wy6Wx1w5pr9j.mp4

Don't get me wrong this guy is an rear end in a top hat for not stopping but 1.) You have to admire that shoulder check 2.) As a person who commutes by bike every day in a major metropolitan city I understand his frustration with inattentive pedestrians. I've never hit or body checked one but I'd be lying if I said I've never slapped the phone out of the hand of a jaywalker walking into traffic staring at their phone. In this instance the pedestrian definitely had the right of way but I just can't understand people that go through crosswalks like this. Can we take the cycling full circle and argue about fixies?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

James Woods posted:

In this instance the pedestrian definitely had the right of way but I just can't understand people that go through crosswalks like this.

"poo poo, this car is about to hit me." *stops* "Oh, the car is letting me go, guess I'll cross." *smash*

"loving indecisive pedestrian."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2xctkpAiB1qigfjt.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 23, 2021

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

James Woods posted:

I've never hit or body checked one but I'd be lying if I said I've never slapped the phone out of the hand of a jaywalker walking into traffic staring at their phone.

You are an actual psycho.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

mkvltra posted:

Pay the gently caress attention when you're in the road, then.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

mkvltra posted:

Perhaps but I bet that dude looks both ways before crossing the street now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

James Woods posted:

Don't get me wrong this guy is an rear end in a top hat for not stopping but 1.) You have to admire that shoulder check 2.) As a person who commutes by bike every day in a major metropolitan city I understand his frustration with inattentive pedestrians. I've never hit or body checked one but I'd be lying if I said I've never slapped the phone out of the hand of a jaywalker walking into traffic staring at their phone. In this instance the pedestrian definitely had the right of way but I just can't understand people that go through crosswalks like this. Can we take the cycling full circle and argue about fixies?

As someone else who frequently commutes by bike in a major metropolitan city, you do not under any circumstances have to hand it to him

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

James Woods posted:

Perhaps but I bet that dude looks both ways before crossing the street now.

He probably just thinks you're a psycho.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Gonna make it a point to carry around some sticks to throw into the spokes of any bikes trying to blast through a pedestrian crosswalk when they don't have right of way from now on just in case i manage to get James Woods with one

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mkvltra posted:

Oh no the poor cellphone

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Gonna make it a point to carry around some sticks to throw into the spokes of any bikes trying to blast through a pedestrian crosswalk when they don't have right of way from now on just in case i manage to get James Woods with one

Well you know what my bike looks like. Happy hunting. Also read my post where I said jaywalker.i had a green light. He was in a group of drunks crossing a five lane one way street at night.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Uthor posted:

"poo poo, this car is about to hit me." *stops* "Oh, the car is letting me go, guess I'll cross." *smash*

"loving indecisive pedestrian."

The trick is you don't trust other road users, like the driver that barely bothered to stop to let pedestrians through a crosswalk, to tell you what to do and when to go, they don't know poo poo and aren't paying attention.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

James Woods posted:

You hipster gently caress is that a Leader frame?

(I still have my Fuji track comp sitting on gold velocity deep V's from my Philly shredding days. Can't bring myself to get rid of it.

gently caress BICYCLES

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

interwhat posted:

You hipster gently caress is that a Leader frame?

(I still have my Fuji track comp sitting on gold velocity deep V's from my Philly shredding days. Can't bring myself to get rid of it.

gently caress BICYCLES

I have no idea who made the frame. It was from some now defunct company sold under the model name NYC Messenger. A builder bought up the frames and sold complete bikes with leftover components for $250. I've replaced most of the running gear but the frame is solid and has survived two cars in the last year hitting me in in the bike lane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

James Woods posted:

I have no idea who made the frame. It was from some now defunct company sold under the model name NYC Messenger. A builder bought up the frames and sold complete bikes with leftover components for $250. I've replaced most of the running gear but the frame is solid and has survived two cars in the last year hitting me in in the bike lane.

They're the pedestrians you assaulted for not seeing you finally chasing you down.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

mkvltra posted:

I've never done this but I have high-fived pedestrians that jumped into the bike lane to hail a cab. Pedestrians will always walk directly into the path of moving vehicles

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Timely: https://www.clickorlando.com/traffic/2021/11/22/who-has-the-right-of-way-on-a-sidewalk-pedestrian-or-bicyclist/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

James Woods posted:

You have to admire that shoulder check

you actually don't, under any circumstances

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

HolHorsejob posted:

I've never done this but I have high-fived pedestrians that jumped into the bike lane to hail a cab. Pedestrians will always walk directly into the path of moving vehicles

That's funny. And it's also not assault! I like your style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

HolHorsejob posted:

In situations like this your choices are usually hit the pedestrian or brake and enter traffic with no idea if said taxi is going to destroy you from behind.

kreeningsons posted:

you actually don't, under any circumstances

I was more admiring his ability to lay that guy out while staying on his bike. Like I said before he's an rear end in a top hat for doing it. The pedestrian had the right of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUnwynwZvE